Author Topic: My little rant on JBC, regarding built quality of my new CD-2BD soldering iron  (Read 23654 times)

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
When all the parts are slightly warped it sounds like an issue with the injection moulding thermoplastic or the treatment (cooling curve) after the moulding.
Sounds like it based on the latest information (was hoping photos could confirm this before mentioning it).

Offline et328

• Contributor
I rechecked the tip cleaner's metal case: it's flush to the base without mounting screw installed but when you insert the screw and tighten it down, rear end of the metal case lifts a little. So the "problem" may be that the surface where the screw goes is not straight or spacer height is little low.

Then again: looks like the JBC in the Dave's teardown video also has bigger gap in the right front corner. And I could swear I saw it also wobbles, just look at 2:04-2:05: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PjEYI5WsLBI&feature=youtu.be&t=122

:o  :)

Offline 5ky

• Regular Contributor
I have the JBC modular setup for my soldering iron (separate base, iron cradle, and tip cleaner), as well as the JBC rework station.  It's a beast, and there is no wobble.  I can't speak for their other models though.  I did pay a lot for the setup, but man, it's killer.  Their tip selection is incredible and the thermal performance is insane.  Fastest heating iron I've ever seen.  They even post graphs of their uber fast temp recovery versus the other big brands.  They're more than just talk: they walk the walk.  That being said, I've had the pleasure of using an older Metcal and a couple Wellers (as well as Hakkos that I personally owned), but the JBC annihilates the others I've used when it comes to performance.  We'll see how reliable it is years to come.

The units are heavy too.  Despite being plastic, they weigh A LOT for their size.  I imagine they have weights in the bottom of the chassis.  It helps keep them really stable when I'm moving the iron around.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
I rechecked the tip cleaner's metal case: it's flush to the base without mounting screw installed but when you insert the screw and tighten it down, rear end of the metal case lifts a little. So the "problem" may be that the surface where the screw goes is not straight or spacer height is little low.
Could be a number of things, but I'm still wondering if the case parts were pulled too early (still hot enough the plastic shrank & deformed). Might even be the case was modified for some reason (molds modified), then they got Weidinger's order, and used the newer case with internals that didn't quite fit right without help (i.e. created some sort of spacer issue), that was correctable with installing the screw/s to specific depths. And perhaps the person that did the final assembly wasn't aware of this, and put them in too deep. May even be a combination of things. Who knows... photos could really help figure it out (all sides and some angles that cover multiple sides simultaneously). Up to you.  8)

It does sound solvable though.  :-+

The units are heavy too.  Despite being plastic, they weigh A LOT for their size.  I imagine they have weights in the bottom of the chassis.  It helps keep them really stable when I'm moving the iron around.
That would be due to the transformer in the bottom (heaviest part by far).  ;)

Offline digsys

• Supporter
    • DIGSYS
Well, I'll be a stuffed chook !! I take back what I said. I checked the last unit we bought app 1 yr ago and it has WOBBLE !! and yep, plastic mould error.
I remember it now, it was a new batch and had some firmware option changes (AND power setting REMOVED!), so I sent it to the cheap end of the factory.
A closer inspection confirms a mould fault !! It's not a lot and no one complained, so I never noticed it.
Hello <tap> <tap> .. is this thing on?

Offline et328

• Contributor
Well, I'll be a stuffed chook !! I take back what I said. I checked the last unit we bought app 1 yr ago and it has WOBBLE !! and yep, plastic mould error.
So I guess a major recall is in order, luckily no one has yet been injured by the wobble.  :scared:

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Time to heat up the tar, and collect a bunch of feathers.  :-DD

Offline VK5RC

• Supporter
Intrigued, I looked at the base of my CP-2C (integrated micro-tweezer station), which looks identical to the base of a CD-2BD, if I look really closely perhaps the right hand side gap is a little bigger, but no wobble.
Whoah! Watch where that landed we might need it later.

Offline ElectronicsNewbieTopic starter

• Contributor
Hello guys!

Sorry for the delay. In the meantime, I could only write: "I'm still waiting for the response"...  :=\

When I started this thread, I forgot to mention some kind of corrosion on my iron's handpiece holder (the sleep function contact thing):

It's not a big deal to me as is the wobble problem.

Follow-up below:

My first mail to JBC about the issue was sent on 27.07.2015. Then, two days after they replied to wait for a reply... then, almost AFTER a month (20.08.2015) I decided to resend my email. Three days ago (24.08.2015) the offered me to take my unit for inspection, and then send me a replacement one. Today, (27.08.2015) after troubles with courier service, my unit is on it's way to JBC.

Until my problem isn't resolved, I won't post my personal feedback or review on this whole experience because I try to be objective as much as possible  O0 >:D
Of course I'm without the soldering iron now.

I have tried to reply to your comments as best as I could. I didn't took any extra photos of the cases, because they wouldn't show a thing...

@GlowingGhoul, it's too late for it now... I have waited for a response from JBC so long, that European 14 day return policy has passed!
I'm curious how looks customer support with other brands. Anyone has experience?

@GreyWoolfe, as you can see, the case still isn't closed... Keep fingers crossed for me!

@nanofrog, the two plastic parts much, but are perfectly flush etc. There aren't any debris or left overy plastic parts...
No matter how much you loosen or tighten the screws it keeps on wobbling. Sometimes a little bit more or less but it is still enough to annoy.

@neslekkim, sorry to hear that your unit is also affected... I'm considering upgrade to DIT-2D if JBC offers some discount. I also hope that modular units have smaller risk of wobbling!

@DimitriP, thanks for your comment. I think issues like this shouldn't happen at this price point, the unit should be working and have passed the QC. I can't imagine buying 10 or more of these and having the need to fix each of them individualy. The unit should start paying for itself when you take it out of the box and put in on your bench. Consider that I live in eastern part of the Europe, where salary is still very low compared to western EU countries, I don't even try to compare it to American earnings... Or let me say it this way: in my country, the national lowest salary is as much as I have paid for this station. I personally like when my money is well spent, buying a quality electronics equipment is like investition to me.
As I wrote before there is no easy way to fix the issue, I think that even nonoriginal rubber feets would make it worse - it must fit well. In my case, the lower or upper (or both) parts of the case are bent.

@McCarthy, I agree with your point of view based on the Dave's teardown. In my case. I didn't want to take it apart because I want to have my quality issue/warranty claim done as fast as possible, as always there is slight chance that something may go wrong etc. Anyway, not happy to have the need to take apart the damn thing which is brand new!

@Shock, I love this one! "2010's Rants on forum for people to join crusade to take down manufacturer."

@et328, Thanks for info on your unit. As you said, they may come from the same faulty batch...

@nanofrog, I haven't noticed any plastic flashing, leftovers or any sharp points, debris etc. I think the cases are just bent (not easy to see) a bit and that's the main reason for the issue.
I confirm et328 words: "There are no plastic mould remains between the halves or around the spacers where screws attach the halves. If you loose all 4 screws, the base is stabile, it warps when you tighten the screws. " and "The case feels very sturdy and I even first thought that it's all die cast aluminium."
However in my case et328 solution didn't work - sometimes it wobbles more or little less. And as you know, I'm not going to glue it etc.

@dom0, I'm not an expert on this topic, but this sounds legitimate.

So, after all of this... I consider having the unit replaced with a new one that doesn't wobble but considering your replies I think this might be a lottery depending on the JBC quality control OR upgrade to modular model, the DIT-2D.

Thanks for your input and support  :-+

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
I was going to buy a JBC actually to see what I'm missing out on.

Can confirm my Weller WSD80/WSP80 and Hakko 951 don't wobble. :)

Still interested in a JBC though :)

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri

W h y  ?

Anything over $160 for a single soldering iron station is overpriced. In the case of the JBC,
Ok so it's a soldering iron with a built in temp sensor. WOW...at this rate of technological breakthroughs, we'll soon land on the moon too.

For the price it should be delivered by a tall leggy mouthy blonde if you know what I mean.
Wobbly or not. The price is disgustingly high I decided.  Up there with $500 DVMs

I use a 17W Antex and have a 25W ($18) weller for when I need more heat. 
There was no blonde involved and for this price I didn't expect one.
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Keep in mind, this is a whopping sample of 2 units from the same source (Weidinger). So lets' not declare this an epic QA/QC fail and break out the pitchforks and torches just yet.  :-DD

The simple solution would be to skip Weidinger and buy elsewhere.   ;) Better yet, get a modular unit (zero complaints).  >:D

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page

W h y  ?

Anything over $160 for a single soldering iron station is overpriced. In the case of the JBC,
Ok so it's a soldering iron with a built in temp sensor. WOW...at this rate of technological breakthroughs, we'll soon land on the moon too.

For the price it should be delivered by a tall leggy mouthy blonde if you know what I mean.
Wobbly or not. The price is disgustingly high I decided.  Up there with $500 DVMs

Try soldering an 0201 that's on a ground plane, and has via in pad to three other ground plane layers. JBC, Metcal and Pace will cope. I doubt you'd get anywhere with anything else.

Offline et328

• Contributor
Keep in mind, this is a whopping sample of 2 units from the same source (Weidinger).
3 units, digsys also has a JBC with wobble. I think that unit is not from Weidinger.

Offline DimitriP

• Super Contributor
  • "Best practices" are best not practiced.© Dimitri

W h y  ?

Try soldering an 0201 that's on a ground plane, and has via in pad to three other ground plane layers. JBC, Metcal and Pace will cope. I doubt you'd get anywhere with anything else.

Can't say I've tried "that".  Dealing with SMD's on a three or four layer board, sounds more like work than a hobby :)
And if it's "work" and someone else is paying for it, then I don't care how much they paid for their Pace ....

I just looked up the 0201 size (0.6 x 0.3 mm) . A soldering iron would be the least of my problems. I'd need to buy some overpriced optics first!
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 06:58:08 pm by DimitriP »
   If three 100  Ohm resistors are connected in parallel, and in series with a 200 Ohm resistor, how many resistors do you have? 

Offline zapta

• Super Contributor

We have a new benchmark for high end soldering stations.

:)

Offline Nerull

• Frequent Contributor
A good quality soldering station is one of the best improvements you can make to your workbench. Certainly far more valuable than how many digits your DMM has.

Offline KJDS

• Super Contributor
    • my website holding page
A good quality soldering station is one of the best improvements you can make to your workbench. Certainly far more valuable than how many digits your DMM has.

That and some optics, my eyesight for close range stuff has got to the point where 0805 needs a magnifier and 0603 really benefits from a microscope. Down at 01005 then I'd need a microscope from one of the big four, but I never work with anything that small.

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
Keep in mind, this is a whopping sample of 2 units from the same source (Weidinger).
3 units, digsys also has a JBC with wobble. I think that unit is not from Weidinger.
Well that changes everything then!  :o Demand the CEO down to the janitor is dragged out into the street and publicly executed. If they refuse to comply, invade Spain.  :-DD

Offline GreyWoolfe

• Supporter
  • NW0LF
Well that changes everything then!  :o Demand the CEO down to the janitor is dragged out into the street and publicly executed. If they refuse to comply, invade Spain.  :-DD

Then we could ransack and pillage the JBC factory.  Then we could grab multiple RMVE or RMSE rework stations for ourselves and compatriots. >:D :clap:
"Heaven has been described as the place that once you get there all the dogs you ever loved run up to greet you."

Offline timofonic

• Frequent Contributor
  • Eternal Wannabe Geek

You're very welcome to invade us! There're too many of them, people prefer to call them tourists.

A well done invasion could be better than our shitty government and our shady politicians, so please do it!

I hope JBC solves this, it's one of the very few good technological companies in my messed up country.

I plan to build UniSolder and use one a JBC soldering iron tip, I would get the fast soldering performance by a lower cost!

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
Yes have done that a few times, I have a tiny tip on the Weller and I use it exclusively for SMD work, you would be shocked at what I use it for,
some wouldn't even attempt it with a hot air station hehe! The Weller seems a better system than my FX-951 but I love the quick change tips on the Hakko and
its great for regular soldering. I'm going to get shot here but I feel the Weller has better temperature regulation and so much easier to change settings than the Hakko. However switching tips is a right pain.

Thinking about it, my Weller has to be something like 14 years old now, I bought it years ago!, it's still on the original pencil and heater.

But that JBC pencil looks a joy to use!  :-+

W h y  ?

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 08:14:04 am by TheBay »

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
You're very welcome to invade us! There're too many of them, people prefer to call them tourists.
Better to think of them as income, as PITA or not, they leave Euro's in their wake.  >:D

A well done invasion could be better than our shitty government and our shady politicians, so please do it!
:-DD
Unfortunately, we've got our own to deal with ( :rant:), so it looks like you're on your own on this one...  :box:

I plan to build UniSolder and use one a JBC soldering iron tip, I would get the fast soldering performance by a lower cost!
Not sure the performance is actually equal, but it seems usable (not aware of comparative testing).  ;)

...[snip]...Weller has better temperature regulation and so much easier to change settings than the Hakko. However switching tips is a right pain.
Which Weller?

FWIW, I've a WSP80 iron, and multiple tip retainers for it (metal tube). By planning out which tips I need before soldering and loading them into the retainers, it makes tip changes very fast (~10 seconds or so).

There's a special tool for changing tips on the WMP (very thin wall deep hex wrench/socket), as the NT series tips are threaded. Tip swaps can be done in seconds as well, particularly using the rubber pad alone (trick is don't over tighten the tips).

Offline ElectronicsNewbieTopic starter

• Contributor
Seems like I will have a DIT-2D as a replacement for extra pay up... I hope this time there won't be any issues  :)

Offline TheBay

• Supporter
WSD80 with a WSP80 :)

Yes it just unscrews, but the Hakko you can just pull the hot tips straight out with the rubber pad.

Better to think of them as income, as PITA or not, they leave Euro's in their wake.  >:D

:-DD
Unfortunately, we've got our own to deal with ( :rant:), so it looks like you're on your own on this one...  :box:

Not sure the performance is actually equal, but it seems usable (not aware of comparative testing).  ;)

...[snip]...Weller has better temperature regulation and so much easier to change settings than the Hakko. However switching tips is a right pain.
Which Weller?

FWIW, I've a WSP80 iron, and multiple tip retainers for it (metal tube). By planning out which tips I need before soldering and loading them into the retainers, it makes tip changes very fast (~10 seconds or so).

There's a special tool for changing tips on the WMP (very thin wall deep hex wrench/socket), as the NT series tips are threaded. Tip swaps can be done in seconds as well, particularly using the rubber pad alone (trick is don't over tighten the tips).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf