Author Topic: NanoVNA V2 aka S-A-A-2  (Read 86881 times)

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
Re: NanoVNA V2 aka S-A-A-2
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2020, 10:21:48 am »
The clones are fine on average since they use the published board designs, but there is a little known detail which is that the directional coupler does not have perfect yield, it is in the range of 80-90% depending on the baluns used. The rest do not pass the directivity test and have to be repaired. If this QC step is not done you can have 10-20% of devices with worse S11 trace noise. If unsure, do a SOL calibration up to 2.7GHz and keep the 50ohm load standard attached, the S11 noise floor should be around -40dB or less.

I've checked mine for noise floor, looks like it's OK, stays below -40dB between 50kHz and 2.7GHz. Are there other performance checks that could be performed?
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2020, 10:40:31 am »
There are specs for it on the official website:
https://nanorfe.com/nanovna-v2.html#specifications

I wouldn't expect a lengthy 20 page datasheet of specs like you might get with a VNA from Keysight, but i suppose it does cover the major point pretty well. That return loss of port 2 should be easily measurable by connecting it to port 1 with a cable, but you do need a good 50 Ohm terminator to calibrate it for best results.

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2020, 10:51:26 am »
I went to the TaoBao web site to buy the nanoVNA SAA2 , 1st thing is most of it does not make sense , no fixed price -it says y 2.00 -378.00 .
I clicked on both [ at different times ] add to cart & buy now and do not see any response or cart or move to next step to buy ???

I bought mine from Tindie! https://www.tindie.com/products/hcxqsgroup/nanovna-v2/
Follow the link its all in English language and easy to purchase from online with all the usual options.

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2020, 11:06:54 am »
Port 2 return loss isn't great in both original and clone devices at 3GHz, it's just an artifact of the old design from last year before I actually took a closer look at the transition tuning, but you can attach a 5dB or 6dB attenuator to improve that. In the next revision I'll improve it to 25dB across the whole range, but that will have to wait until all the current stock are sold which I hear is several months.
Email: OwOwOwOwO123@outlook.com

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2020, 12:16:47 pm »
Decided to update the firmware and I'm quite happy with the bigger fonts. The noise level has maybe changed a bit, but I can hardly make it out.

The software update process is a bit unsettling however. It didn't work at all throught the Qt software. It took forever and the upload progress didn't change, so I interrupted it eventually and the device didn't boot up any more. So apparently it did something, but never showed what and never completed.

So, I went with the dfu.py script and that also didn't go terribly well. Initially, it found the device but then reported a read timeout and that the device wasn't in DFU mode (which it clearly was). Repeated trials eventually got it to show some dots but it got stuck along the way. I had to repeat the update a couple of times and I was at the brink of breaking out a soldering iron to populate the SWD header to recover the device when it finally completed. That is something that needs more care.

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2020, 12:37:53 pm »
So, I went with the dfu.py script and that also didn't go terribly well. Initially, it found the device but then reported a read timeout and that the device wasn't in DFU mode (which it clearly was). Repeated trials eventually got it to show some dots but it got stuck along the way. I had to repeat the update a couple of times and I was at the brink of breaking out a soldering iron to populate the SWD header to recover the device when it finally completed. That is something that needs more care.
That sounds like something else is writing to the serial port - maybe modem-manager or something like that? Which OS was this on?
Email: OwOwOwOwO123@outlook.com

Offline thinkfat

• Supporter
« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2020, 12:41:03 pm »
That sounds like something else is writing to the serial port - maybe modem-manager or something like that? Which OS was this on?

Oh boy, yes. You're correct. There was a minicom lurking in the background. The ttyACM0 was previously something else and I forgot that I had the terminal program still running!

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #107 on: July 24, 2020, 07:30:38 am »
Got my V2 so I tried out the software available for it. VNA_QT_Windows 10 works like a charm and nanoVNA Saver V 0.3.6 for Windows 10 also works, but a little bit trickier (flaky) to set up.

The little nanoVNA V2 worked really well, easy to set up and calibrate and quickly connected to vna_qt software. 

I got the acrylic case included in the purchase as an easy way to put it in a protective box. Its fiddly to put together and to get the plastic film off the the cut shapes, but it works ok and the clear acrylic makes it easy to see the leds working. Just make sure you check the cut out slots for fit, as there are 2 different slot sizes. Trying to fit the thick plate into the narrow slot does not work out too well. Finally noticed the difference spun the plate around and screwed it in.

What a handly little easy to use analyser!

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #108 on: July 24, 2020, 11:25:18 pm »
Got my V2 so I tried out the software available for it. VNA_QT_Windows 10 works like a charm and nanoVNA Saver V 0.3.6 for Windows 10 also works, but a little bit trickier (flaky) to set up.

The little nanoVNA V2 worked really well, easy to set up and calibrate and quickly connected to vna_qt software. 

I got the acrylic case included in the purchase as an easy way to put it in a protective box. Its fiddly to put together and to get the plastic film off the the cut shapes, but it works ok and the clear acrylic makes it easy to see the leds working. Just make sure you check the cut out slots for fit, as there are 2 different slot sizes. Trying to fit the thick plate into the narrow slot does not work out too well. Finally noticed the difference spun the plate around and screwed it in.

What a handly little easy to use analyser!

I just love mine, I've been learning so much with it.

Is the pattern for the acrylic case online anywhere? I urgently need to make a case for mine.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2020, 11:27:00 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #109 on: July 24, 2020, 11:46:13 pm »

Is the pattern for the acrylic case online anywhere? I urgently need to make a case for mine.

If you have access to a 3D printer here is a link for the files to a really nice case!

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/30212-case-for-nanovna-v2

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #110 on: July 25, 2020, 03:30:22 pm »
I got my 4" replacement LCD (and a spare) the other day.  I programmed the latest firmware and it is working again.

The only problem I had was working out how to load the firmware from the VNA_QT app - it wasn't clear that you manually put the device into DFU mode first via the menu (via the buttons due to an uncalibrated touch screen), and then the VNA_QT app recognises it is in DFU mode and prompts to upload new firmware.

Anyway I'm happy as the 4" screen is a big improvement, but I definitely need to work out an enclosure of some sort now as there is otherwise no way to support the larger LCD.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #111 on: July 25, 2020, 06:35:42 pm »
Thank you. Maybe I can figure out a way to make my own using something I have, it needs to be protected. 

If you have access to a 3D printer here is a link for the files to a really nice case!

https://www.prusaprinters.org/prints/30212-case-for-nanovna-v2
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #112 on: July 26, 2020, 03:10:01 pm »
I'm now ready to update the firmware on my Tindie-supplied S-A-A-2 so that it works with the new 4 inch display.  Can anyone please confirm the correct firmware location to apply?

If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #113 on: July 26, 2020, 04:01:58 pm »
I'm now ready to update the firmware on my Tindie-supplied S-A-A-2 so that it works with the new 4 inch display.  Can anyone please confirm the correct firmware location to apply?

Use binary-st7796.bin from https://github.com/nanovna/NanoVNA-V2-firmware/releases/tag/20200619

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: July 26, 2020, 10:25:59 pm »
I got my 4" replacement LCD (and a spare) the other day.  I programmed the latest firmware and it is working again.

The only problem I had was working out how to load the firmware from the VNA_QT app - it wasn't clear that you manually put the device into DFU mode first via the menu (via the buttons due to an uncalibrated touch screen), and then the VNA_QT app recognises it is in DFU mode and prompts to upload new firmware.

Anyway I'm happy as the 4" screen is a big improvement, but I definitely need to work out an enclosure of some sort now as there is otherwise no way to support the larger LCD.
I plan to design a new 3D printed case for the stock S-A-A-2 with the 4" display but it's still on my to do list.  Do you have (or have access to) a 3D printer?

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline mdkendall

« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2020, 01:54:01 am »
If anyone is interested, I made a couple of changes to the NanoVNA-QT software that I think are small improvements. First, I changed the number of frequency divisions in the main plot from nine to a more conventional ten. Second, I made some changes to the Sweep Parameters dialog to allow entering either start and stop or center and span, along with some minor fixes and tidying.

I only built the release for Windows I'm afraid, but the source is all there if anyone wants to build for Linux or Mac:
https://github.com/mdkendall/NanoVNA-QT
https://github.com/mdkendall/NanoVNA-QT/releases/latest

The following users thanked this post: KD0CAC John, Kean, 1anX, hwalker, 0culus

Offline ab#FFFF

« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2020, 05:04:39 am »
I've got 2 questions maybe someone can answer:
1. Why the lower frequency is limited to 50kHz? It is possible to go under that frequency?
2. There is an official NanoVNA V2 that comes with a 4" display?

Thanks,
-ab

Offline edigi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2020, 07:17:12 am »
1. Why the lower frequency is limited to 50kHz? It is possible to go under that frequency?

In the latest version actually it's 10kHz but NanoVNA is fundamentally an RF tool and it's hard to handle such a wide frequency range (for example among others to separate the incident and the reflected signal).
If you're looking to check something below 50kHz with NanoVNAv2 probably you're looking the wrong tool.
The other end of the frequency range is more interesting actually.

2. There is an official NanoVNA V2 that comes with a 4" display?

Probably it's just a matter of time (I don't know about any at the moment although I'm not continuously checking it) since more of us from here made it working with the 4" display (and it required nothing more than plugging in a new LCD module and changing to a firmware supporting it that is readily available).
« Last Edit: July 27, 2020, 09:19:16 am by edigi »

The following users thanked this post: ab#FFFF

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2020, 12:18:22 pm »
[I plan to design a new 3D printed case for the stock S-A-A-2 with the 4" display but it's still on my to do list.  Do you have (or have access to) a 3D printer?

Yes, I have a few 3D printers here (ABS/PLA/Resin).  FWIW I use Fusion 360 for modelling.  I just won't have much free time over the next month or two.
Looking forward to see what you come up with.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: July 28, 2020, 10:56:00 am »
Yes, I have a few 3D printers here (ABS/PLA/Resin).  FWIW I use Fusion 360 for modelling.  I just won't have much free time over the next month or two.
Looking forward to see what you come up with.
No promises but I may get to it in the next week or so.  I taught myself FreeCAD (vn 0.16) and it does well for the price.

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #120 on: July 28, 2020, 02:40:05 pm »
So I got round to upgrading the firmware to the version that handles the 4 inch display.  For those who haven't done it before:
1. Get the new .bin file ready.
2. Plug in your NanoVNA and check which port it comes up on.
3. Turn the NanoVNA on and put it into DFU mode via touch menus.
4. Plug into USB port.
5. Run up NanoVNA_QT
6. Select the port under device
7. You should now see a pop up window that says found device in DFU mode, do you want to upgrade firmware (or something close to that)
8. Click [Yes], browse to .bin file, and click [OK]
9. When it's finished unplug and power off NanoVNA
10. Fit new display and power on, it should work.

I recalibrated my touch screen after the upgrade but it was close anyway so the menus worked.  I removed (carefully) an SD card reader that was fitted to my display as it interferes with the fit.  I must say that the larger display and font has made this very usable for me, much easier to read now.

This may inspire me to design a case for it :D
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 11:19:01 am by Gandalf_Sr »

The following users thanked this post: cdev

Offline SHF

• Regular Contributor
  • Radio Amateur
« Reply #121 on: July 28, 2020, 06:32:22 pm »
Hi  Gandalf_Sr where did you buy the 4 inch display for the nanovna?

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #122 on: July 28, 2020, 09:54:43 pm »
I got it from AliExpress, the link is in this post on the first page of this thread. That link is problematic, says item doesn't exist - [EDIT] removed link to one that doesn't have the touch panel. See next post below with a link to the correct display from Amazon.

I was not happy that my new display was not attached firmly to the NanoVNA and then I had an idea.  The posts that came with mine are brass so, with a really powerful soldering iron, it should be possible to scrape away the solder mask to reveal the copper on the display PCB, tin the exposed area, and then solder the posts on.  I did this and it works. See pictures. 
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 01:04:58 pm by Gandalf_Sr »

Offline Kean

• Supporter
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #123 on: July 29, 2020, 01:58:55 am »
I got it from AliExpress, the link is in this post on the first page of this thread. That link is problematic, says item doesn't exist - here it is.  It would be better if you could find it without the SD card holder but it's easy to remove it.

Except that new listing seems to not have the optional touch included.   :--

I also bought some of the ones in the original AliExpress listing which has now dissappeared.

Edit to add: as mentioned by someone earlier, when scanning listings for similar LCDs note that some sellers list the 3.5" ones as 4", so you need to review the specs/measurements

I was not happy that my new display was not attached firmly to the NanoVNA and then I had an idea.  The posts that came with mine are brass so, with a really powerful soldering iron, it should be possible to scrape away the copper on the display PCB, tin the exposed area, and then solder the posts on.  I did this and it works. See pictures.

Oh, neat idea.  I'll try that too.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 02:00:45 am by Kean »

Online Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #124 on: July 29, 2020, 06:01:02 am »
I got it from AliExpress, the link is in this post on the first page of this thread. That link is problematic, says item doesn't exist - here it is.  It would be better if you could find it without the SD card holder but it's easy to remove it.

Except that new listing seems to not have the optional touch included.   :--

I also bought some of the ones in the original AliExpress listing which has now dissappeared.

Edit to add: as mentioned by someone earlier, when scanning listings for similar LCDs note that some sellers list the 3.5" ones as 4", so you need to review the specs/measurements

Yeah i made the mistake of ordering the wrong one. Have not looked at the listing very much, mostly went off the photos. But then i got it and it turns out it doesn't have touch. :palm:
So yeah im gonna have to order a new one.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf