Author Topic: NanoVNA V2 aka S-A-A-2  (Read 88139 times)

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
Re: NanoVNA V2 aka S-A-A-2
« Reply #75 on: July 15, 2020, 10:08:51 pm »
I now have an SAA2 and its great. But I am having a problem using the software on Linux. The software starts with the menus on the top greyed out, and doesnt recognize (it doesnt even show the menu) or put the VNA into USB mode, unless I start it as root.

Ive compiled it properly because it does run as a privileged user.
It likely needs a udev.rules file, so I have been trying to figure out the magic incantation that works..

The only thing I can think of is I have tried an awful lot of software- I have at various times both installed from debs and source, a great many other programs (one example, sigrok another FX2prog) that use the Cypress FX2 in various ways installed. Also I have been playing around with installing other software ion the $2 stlink 2 clones.

Perhaps some interaction between them? 

But anyway, the nanovna2 has been a lot of fun for me so far and Ive been like everybody else, taking all my old antennas and homemade patch cables and retesting them and making some new ones :)
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 10:17:46 pm by cdev »
"What the large print giveth, the small print taketh away."

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2020, 12:17:58 am »
I have just ordered the V2 from Tindie and am looking at software and firmware for it.

It seems as I'm a win10 os user that both the vna_qt and NanoVNA Saver should work on the NanoVNA V2. Plenty of feedback for the original NanoVNA V1 and mentioned software but hard to find for the V2.

Has anyone run the vna_qt and Saver software on their V2 successfully?

Offline 0culus

• Super Contributor
  • Electronics, RF, and TEA Hobbyist
« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2020, 01:24:45 am »
NanoVNA Saver works just fine with my V2...just make sure you have the latest version.

The following users thanked this post: 1anX

Offline edigi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2020, 06:39:13 am »
The drawing in CW mode seems to have some bug as the scale and Smith chart is at least missing.

Offline edigi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2020, 11:21:08 am »
Latest firmware has some noise improvements at lower frequencies using AGC.

The fonts have got better and there is indeed some noise improvement but it's not too big (I've used 60dB attenuation).

Offline edigi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2020, 06:24:22 pm »
I'm happy to report that 4" LCD change works like a charm (but due to lack of case I had to put back both the original LCD and firmware as well).
After the firmware upgrade although I could bring up the menu, I could not select menu points so probably some calibration is required after the change.

Strangely the 4" LCD without any firmware change shows a large part of the drawing (so the controllers must be indeed very similar).
When putting back the original firmware it has stuck around half so I had to restart it. Not even my calibrations were lost though.

I also did not expect to find a 2000mAh battery (which is glued to the back of the original LCD...).
OwO and others of this project created a really excellent piece of equipment.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2020, 06:27:08 pm by edigi »

The following users thanked this post: cdev, Kean

Offline flolic

• Frequent Contributor
    • http://filiplolic.com/
« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2020, 06:43:46 pm »
After the firmware upgrade although I could bring up the menu, I could not select menu points so probably some calibration is required after the change

You need to calibrate new larger screen.
You can access calibration menu using push buttons.

Offline edigi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: July 17, 2020, 06:35:45 am »
I've found a new bug.
When multiple markers are used, higher frequencies turn to negative values (probably due to some number representation issue like signed 32bits).

Offline all_repair

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #83 on: July 17, 2020, 08:13:14 am »
nanoLab is owned by Hugen.  He was the one that made nanoVNA popular by his offering.  Very fair guy that is worth supporting.  Get the nanoVNA H4, or wait for the 4 inch dsiplay for the S-A-A-22 which should be coming out soon.  Unless you totally connect it to your PC, 2.8inch display is too small.

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #84 on: July 17, 2020, 08:32:10 am »
No, the official taobao store for the V2 is "HCXQS group", same name as the Tindie store: https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=611527678459
Email: OwOwOwOwO123@outlook.com

Offline aristarchus

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #85 on: July 17, 2020, 09:39:30 am »
nanoLab is owned by Hugen.  He was the one that made nanoVNA popular by his offering.  Very fair guy that is worth supporting.  Get the nanoVNA H4, or wait for the 4 inch dsiplay for the S-A-A-22 which should be coming out soon.  Unless you totally connect it to your PC, 2.8inch display is too small.

+1

Got a NanoVNA H4 from hugen and all I can say is wow, he knows how to offer real quality.
Complete package, case, cables, calibration items, perfectly working, an end product not a half finished job.
Even now though he got an SSA-2 packaged with case, cables, SOLT and carrying bag.
https://world.taobao.com/item/620606324940.htm?spm=a21wu.11804641-tw.0.0.16ef5bedIxkuEg

I'll wait until he gets out with his own next package, as some posts say it will be an H4-like with 4"LCD, adding microSD storage, RTC and SI4432.

Anyway, there seems to be quite a few good products there in this VNA area that give users great low budget VFM performance, these are good VNA times  ;)

Offline Kean

• Supporter
  • Embedded systems & IT consultant
    • Kean Electronics
« Reply #86 on: July 17, 2020, 11:28:10 am »
@OwO: do you take donations? I'd like to contribute 100 Yuan.
Ditto (20 AUD)

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #87 on: July 17, 2020, 11:36:02 am »
I have NO justification for having one of these on my bench ....

..... but I'm getting an itch to acquire one.   :palm:

Offline aargee

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: July 17, 2020, 12:38:56 pm »
Purchased one from the Tindie store, curious to play and experiment with RF, which I haven’t seriously looked at since my Uni days.
I went with the Tindie one for it’s more likely closer specifications. I’ll 3D print my own case.
Not easy, not hard, just need to be incentivised.

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #89 on: July 17, 2020, 12:58:20 pm »
So I went with the NanoLab one just for the preinstalled case and battery. Seems like a fair guy with decent product quality, unless there is a catch.

We don't take donations. Most of the cloners probably don't check for directivity, but for measuring antennas it really doesn't matter (20dB calibrated directivity is more than good enough). Hugen simply copied my board design verbatim and started selling it (which is fine), but he does seem to manipulate his order count on taobao in order to grab market share (look at the 20+ reviews from the same person on the same day).

The following users thanked this post: cdev, thm_w, blueskull

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #90 on: July 17, 2020, 01:37:43 pm »
I don't run the store so I can't comment on that. Can't you get an invoice from taobao/alipay directly?

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #91 on: July 17, 2020, 02:08:59 pm »
Well, I don't think they want to sell to the government. If you mean reimbursement as in buying something for work, don't you just take a screenshot of your orders page and use that as proof?

Offline dougg

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #92 on: July 17, 2020, 02:40:31 pm »
I now have an SAA2 and its great. But I am having a problem using the software on Linux. The software starts with the menus on the top greyed out, and doesnt recognize (it doesnt even show the menu) or put the VNA into USB mode, unless I start it as root.

Ive compiled it properly because it does run as a privileged user.
It likely needs a udev.rules file, so I have been trying to figure out the magic incantation that works..

The only thing I can think of is I have tried an awful lot of software- I have at various times both installed from debs and source, a great many other programs (one example, sigrok another FX2prog) that use the Cypress FX2 in various ways installed. Also I have been playing around with installing other software ion the $2 stlink 2 clones.

Perhaps some interaction between them? 

But anyway, the nanovna2 has been a lot of fun for me so far and Ive been like everybody else, taking all my old antennas and homemade patch cables and retesting them and making some new ones :)

With regard to not getting access with a non-root user it might be your non-root user's group permissions. On Ubuntu 20.04 I see:
$ ls -l /dev/ttyUSB0
crw-rw---- 1 root dialout 188, 0 Jul 13 10:11 /dev/ttyUSB0

So that indicates the group name for ttyUSB0 is dialout. Then in /etc/group I (user: dougg) need this line:
dialout:x:20:dougg

before that edit (which needed root permissions) 'dougg' was not there. Then you may need to log out your user and log back in again before that takes effect.

Hope this helps.

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2020, 06:33:18 pm »
Well, I have to say, you have really done a huge thing by upping the quality and performance level of affordable VNAs the way you have. I have been basically been spending hours each day fooling around with mine. It really is giving life to the theory.

So I went with the NanoLab one just for the preinstalled case and battery. Seems like a fair guy with decent product quality, unless there is a catch.

We don't take donations. Most of the cloners probably don't check for directivity, but for measuring antennas it really doesn't matter (20dB calibrated directivity is more than good enough). Hugen simply copied my board design verbatim and started selling it (which is fine), but he does seem to manipulate his order count on taobao in order to grab market share (look at the 20+ reviews from the same person on the same day).

Online thinkfat

• Supporter
  • This is just a hobby I spend too much time on.
    • Matthias' Hackerstübchen
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2020, 09:05:54 pm »
So, my S-A-A-2 was in the mailbox this morning. Complete with SOLT and two cables, had forgotten meanwhile that I didn't order the full kit including battery..
No problem, I have a battery going spare, just need to fix it up with a different JST connector.

First task was to measure a DiY WiFi antenna I made a long time ago. Seems to be fine, resonates where it should, proper, real 50 Ohms with a pico of inductance.

I even compiled the control software for Linux, but quite honestly, the device UI is easier to work with.

Kudos, this is a nice addition to my growing test gear collection.
Everybody likes gadgets. Until they try to make them.

Offline KD0CAC John

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2020, 10:17:53 pm »
I went to the TaoBao web site to buy the nanoVNA SAA2 , 1st thing is most of it does not make sense , no fixed price -it says y 2.00 -378.00 .
I clicked on both [ at different times ] add to cart & buy now and do not see any response or cart or move to next step to buy ???

And no where that I can find a statement about screen size ?

Finely got to what looked like checkout , or close , seems like every page / click - it goes to another page in Chinese , even though each preceding page I click on english .
Too many things that I do not like to do , are adding up , 1 email , 2 phone number - defiantly not giving , 3 without giving all of the 1st two , it looks like the only way to pay is with there own payment Alipay what ever .
I get too many junk/phishing phone calls already and I do not trust too many payment methods attached to my card / bank .
Are there more standard methods ?   
« Last Edit: July 21, 2020, 10:33:33 pm by KD0CAC John »

Offline cdev

• Super Contributor
  • !
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2020, 10:45:52 pm »
I'd really love it if there was a metal case that took the larger size display.

I'm a bit worried about putting it in a plastic case, do the people with plastic 3D printed cases worry about it getting too hot?

Online Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #97 on: July 22, 2020, 03:39:27 am »
Juat cancelled my order at Hugen, only to find your store cannot issue a tax invoice, making reimbursement impossible. So had to order from him again.
what the tax will be? $10-20.. use your imagination! what kind of big company that thinks that figure does matter?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline AlfBaz

• Super Contributor
« Reply #98 on: July 22, 2020, 07:19:50 am »
I purchased one from Tindie and it was here within 5 days :-+

I'm having a lot of fun with it and learning how to use it through w2aew's youtube channel.

I know nothing about vna's so excuse this probably dumb question.
Alan uses the original nanovna and in the calibration it shows the extra isolation calibration which doesn't appear in the s-a-a-2
I'm struggling to find information regarding this calibration. What is the purpose of it and why is it missing from the new version?

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #99 on: July 22, 2020, 10:16:42 am »
The isolation calibration step is now done automatically during Short and Open calibration. There are two stored leakage coefficients, since leakage is a function of reflection coefficient on port 1. This allows better correction of leakage than only measuring leakage with port 1 terminated.

The following users thanked this post: AlfBaz, ch_scr

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf