Author Topic: NanoVNA V2 aka S-A-A-2  (Read 87900 times)

Offline 0xdeadbeefTopic starter

• Super Contributor
NanoVNA V2 aka S-A-A-2
« on: June 04, 2020, 08:39:40 am »
As it wasn't discussed here yet (AFAIK): there are "V2" versions of the NanoVNA popping up on eBay. On second look, this seems to be a different product developed be different people. Main benefit is a much wider frequency range (50kHz - 3GHz).
Some links:
https://groups.io/g/NanoVNAV2
https://www.tindie.com/products/hcxqsgroup/nanovna-v2
https://nanorfe.com/nanovna-v2.html
« Last Edit: August 06, 2020, 08:03:59 pm by 0xdeadbeef »
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
Re: NanoVNA V2 aka S-A-A-2
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2020, 04:31:15 pm »
I have designed a case for the NanoVNA V2. It has space for a 18650 cell, stores the stylus and has a lanyard attachment point. It is held together with 4 2.5mm countersunk screws on the bottom. Enjoy!
Edit: I just learnt that the 4 LED's on the bottom show the state of charge. Easiest would be to print the case (or at least the bottom half) out of translucent plastic. Another alternative may be to drill some holes into the side. Let's see what else we can come up with?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2020, 02:54:00 pm by ch_scr »

The following users thanked this post: aargee, dr.diesel, Kean, JohnG

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2020, 05:21:26 pm »
Didn't notice this post until now. I was the layout and RF engineer on the nanovna V2 team. I can answer technical questions.

EDIT:

- Only the Tindie store and RTL-SDR blog store support the original developers and fund the development of V2/V3 and maintenance of the firmware and software. All Aliexpress and eBay sellers are selling clones which have fancier packaging but lack QC on the RF characteristics and performance can vary. None of them check for things like uncalibrated directivity.

- S-A-A-2 is a completely new design not based on the original NanoVNA by ttrftech. S-A-A-2 does not use harmonics; it uses 2x ADF4350 to cover up to 3GHz. The linearity and dynamic range are improved.

- S-A-A-2 design is open source, which means anyone can manufacture it. However, only HCXQS is supporting the original developers. Other major players in the NanoVNA space do not share their design files, and all are working on competing V3 (6GHz) designs.

- Official support group is at https://groups.io/g/NanoVNAV2
« Last Edit: August 07, 2020, 05:21:12 pm by OwO »
Email: OwOwOwOwO123@outlook.com

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2020, 05:31:28 pm »
What are the improvements on V2

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2020, 05:38:46 pm »
Original nano goes up to 900MHz using the third harmonic, and V2 goes up to 3GHz using only the fundamental (no harmonics mode). The dynamic range is improved.

The following users thanked this post: cdev, jjoonathan, 2N3055, nuclearcat, syau

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2020, 05:40:03 pm »
I have designed a case for the NanoVNA V2. It has space for a 18650 cell, stores the stylus and has a lanyard attachment point. It is held together with 4 2.5mm countersunk screws on the bottom. Enjoy!

You just saved me some trouble, thanks for posting this!

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #6 on: June 18, 2020, 06:15:27 pm »
I'm happy you like it. A 5.2mm Drill works well to get the Support out of the stylus hole and is just barely long enough. The 18650 cavity is slightly oversized, a piece of 5mm foam makes it fit nicely. You will propably need to kiss the bottom part with a file to make it snug but not jam with the top.

The following users thanked this post: dr.diesel

Offline edigi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2020, 06:42:39 pm »
Original nano goes up to 900MHz using the third harmonic

There is also a newer improved version of the original NanoVNA (see picture), it has a 4" LCD, goes till 1.5GHz and RF performance is also somewhat improved.

Nevertheless I've also bought the V2, but it ships quite slow (it was 2 weeks) so probably it's still quite some time till I receive it.
I'd prefer a bigger LCD variant from the V2 though (my eyes are not the best anymore) and I'm probably not alone with this... Any chance for such version?

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2020, 08:00:11 pm »
I just ordered one from Tindie  :D
If at first you don't succeed, get a bigger hammer

Offline Noy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2020, 10:01:15 pm »
Hm, i ordered a few days/weeks ago from AliExpress "official" Kkmoon Store because tindie hasn't Stock.
Hope it is good quality and not "cheaper" manufactured. Are there parts that i should check? Can i get the housing alone anywhere? It was not offered from kkmoon Store.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2020, 10:45:20 pm »
Tindie offered a case but it was the laser cut plexiglass.  I'm going to 3D print my own from the files above.

Offline 0xdeadbeefTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #11 on: June 18, 2020, 11:29:35 pm »
I'd prefer a bigger LCD variant from the V2 though (my eyes are not the best anymore) and I'm probably not alone with this... Any chance for such version?
There are already versions with a 3.2" screen floating around.
https://www.amazon.de/Portable-Handheld-Analyser-50kHz-3GHz-Touchscreen/dp/B08B8VBRLT
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline Noy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2020, 11:38:42 pm »
Take Care, might be  another Layout. Look for the Switch positions.

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2020, 02:09:21 am »
Received mine from Tindie in only 48 days  :D  The cal kit was unavailable so I bought a $20 eBay one.

Seems pretty amazing even to a complete RF knob.  Bought a cheap RF Demo kit to play with but it seems to be made for <1GHz.  It has U.FL connectors on 18 little circuits including a short, open, load and thru so you can cal with the cables on.  Should have bought the one that included a prototype area.

@Owo  Just out of curiosity, the current draw seems to cycle between 350 to 390mA, what causes that?  Maybe the lower parts of the frequency band are using more parts?

As others noted the text on the display is way to small unless I'm using a headband magnifier (which I need to hook up the U.FLs |O )

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2020, 02:50:23 am »
Most aliexpress stores are selling clones, I know of only two stores (in addition to the Tindie store) that get their V2s from our manufacturing partner, which is "KaisayaHIFI audio Store" and "LusyaTechnology Store", but aliexpress sellers do switch sources often so I can't say these two stores are always going to be selling "original" units. KKmoon, tomtop, and the *tool stores have always sold clones.

However, most clones nowadays perform fine. V2 design is open source so there are many (I think at least 5) clone manufacturers. If you are curious, post a high res image of the bottom side of the board, and a zoomed in picture of U401 like here: https://imgur.com/a/BMDyw3p and I can usually identify the manufacturer.

@Owo  Just out of curiosity, the current draw seems to cycle between 350 to 390mA, what causes that?  Maybe the lower parts of the frequency band are using more parts?

As others noted the text on the display is way to small unless I'm using a headband magnifier (which I need to hook up the U.FLs |O )
Not sure, might have something to do with ADF4350 switching in/out between bands, newest firmware turns off the ADF4350 when not needed.

There will be a 4 inch display version soon, the firmware support is already there and it's just a matter of reworking the PCB layout for the larger size. If you are using the VNA on the bench and don't care about portability, you can already swap out the display for a 4inch one like this (search "ST7796S", make sure to get one with the 14-pin header and touch support, and you will also need to update the vna firmware):

1004665-0
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 02:57:29 am by OwO »

The following users thanked this post: KD0CAC John, thm_w, Gandalf_Sr, xzswq21

Offline Berni

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: June 19, 2020, 05:46:02 am »
Oh neat! I was waiting for the V2 to be out, thanks for the thread.

I bought the first version and was really impressed, so im definitely buying this one too. Perhaps il hack the larger display onto it too and 3D print a case. The small display on the first Nano VNA was indeed a bit annoying to work with using fingers.

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2020, 10:56:48 am »
@OwO
My NanoVNA V2 is on order from Tindie and I'm interested in doing a 4" LCD upgrade; I may come up with a 3D printable case to use the standard V2 PCB with the 4" display.

Please can you point me to the firmware that will handle the 4" display and instructions on how to load it?

Also, what voltage is the battery? Is it a single cell 3.7-4.2V LiPo? (I don't find this information anywhere in the user manual) Can you recommend a specific battery?
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 11:04:26 am by Gandalf_Sr »

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2020, 11:17:55 am »
The git version has 4 inch display support but there is no binary released yet; I'll go do a release right now. https://github.com/nanovna/NanoVNA-V2-firmware

The battery is any li-ion battery (3.6V and 3.7V cells are the same thing, they are all 3.0 - 4.2V). The dimensions should be 6*40*60 mm to fit in the device, usually labeled as "604060", or use that enclosure that supports a 18650 cell (I would go this route because 18650s are generally safer).

The following users thanked this post: cdev, dr.diesel, Gandalf_Sr, Jacon

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2020, 11:43:23 am »
@OwO

Thanks :D  I already have some 18650 LiPos and single 18650 LiPo holders so I'll use one of those as you recommended.  I think I already have the 4" display too but I need to wait until I get home to check it's the one you're suggesting.  I have a Kirkby VNA SMA Cal kit which includes Open, Short, and Through connectors in male and female; am I right in thinking these will be suitable for use with the NanoVNA V2?

Offline edigi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2020, 11:57:32 am »
My NanoVNA V2 is on order from Tindie and I'm interested in doing a 4" LCD upgrade

Note: In the newer version of the original NanoVNA it's not just the display size 4" but resolution is slightly better (480x320).
(I've just noticed that the picture that I've inserted has incorrect file name...)

The following users thanked this post: Gandalf_Sr

Offline Gandalf_Sr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2020, 03:56:07 pm »
Thanks, I just ordered a 4 inch display from AliExpress, this one https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000946111830.html?spm=a2g0s.12269583.0.0.64a42129rATwwR

When I download the binary-st7796.bin file what program do I use to program the NanoVNA without loading IDEs and compiling?

Offline bicycleguy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2020, 04:38:57 pm »
The git version has 4 inch display support but there is no binary released yet; I'll go do a release right now. https://github.com/nanovna/NanoVNA-V2-firmware
Great update:
Larger text on the 2.8" display makes a huge difference.
The noise floor is improved.
The power consumption below 140MHz dropped from ~380mA to ~180mA

Maybe the 4" won't be worth my time, especially since its really only 3.5":
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000234986822.html

Edit: The display on Gandalf_Sr post looks to be actually 4".
« Last Edit: June 19, 2020, 05:03:28 pm by bicycleguy »

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2020, 05:03:11 pm »
Does anyone know how the Tindie store units are being declared for shipping? I'd be OK with the VAT bill, but TNT charge like wounded bulls for "admin fees" on top when collecting it - at 20 quid it's over twice the VAT due :(

Offline OwO

• Super Contributor
  • RF Engineer.
« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2020, 05:22:35 pm »
I have a Kirkby VNA SMA Cal kit which includes Open, Short, and Through connectors in male and female; am I right in thinking these will be suitable for use with the NanoVNA V2?
Yes, any good SMA cal kit will do. If it has kit parameters in S parameter form you can import that into NanoVNA-QT, but the on-device calibration doesn't support kit parameters yet.

When I download the binary-st7796.bin file what program do I use to program the NanoVNA without loading IDEs and compiling?
NanoVNA-QT can do the firmware update, and on Linux (maybe also mac os) you can use dfu.py: https://github.com/nanovna/NanoVNA-V2-firmware/blob/master/dfu.py

Does anyone know how the Tindie store units are being declared for shipping? I'd be OK with the VAT bill, but TNT charge like wounded bulls for "admin fees" on top when collecting it - at 20 quid it's over twice the VAT due :(
I'm pretty sure they under declare it to less than $20, but that doesn't mean you get a VAT bill, it depends on the country but I've heard DHL tends to ask for proof of purchase. After the pandemic is over and shipping times return to normal they will probably offer cheap ePacket shipping again.

The following users thanked this post: KD0CAC John

Online ch_scr

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2020, 08:45:51 am »
It should be mentioned: this is a really nice device :-+ Good work!
I have two questions: Is there a way to see the battery level on the device? Will it charge (and with how much current) from USB?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf