Products > Test Equipment

nanoVNA vs SVA1015X VNA (Need entry level VNA)

(1/14) > >>

spacehen:
I'm looking for an entry level VNA to add to my RF lab I am setting up. I already have a DSA815-TG spectrum analyzer so my question essentially is: is it worth the extra money to buy the SVA1015X which is also a spectrum analyser with limited VNA capability or should I just buy a nanoVNA. I need to make reasonably accurate S parameter measurements for amplifiers, filters and antennas from 10MHz to 1GHz

Thank you  :)

tomud:
IMHO to buy SVA1015X is not very profitable in your case. As for nanoVNA, it depends on the model you want to buy. The first version is not very suitable if we are talking about measurements up to 1GHz (in fact, it works quite well up to 300MHz).

I would consider nanoVna v2 plus4 (original only) or if you have more money to spend, you can buy libreVNA (IMHO A very good option). You can also think about selling the DSA815-TG and buying the SSA3021X Plus which can be converted to SVA1032X.

Although if we're talking about the VNA itself, libreVNA will probably be the best choice (price / features / parameters) - especially since it's a full dual port VNA (gives the possibility of measurements S11/S12/S21/S22).

As for the accuracy of the measurements, I will not answer here, it is too big a topic. Much depends on the device, cables, calibrators. You can find the technical parameters of all devices on the Internet, you have to see them yourself and answer the question if it is enough for you.

spacehen:
Maybe I should just save up and buy a proper VNA, thanks anyway.

joeqsmith:

--- Quote from: spacehen on August 11, 2022, 12:27:59 pm ---Maybe I should just save up and buy a proper VNA, thanks anyway.

--- End quote ---

With the very small bit of information you provided, I wouldn't suggest it due to the high costs.  Rather wait until you learn enough to know what you need. 

For learning the basics, the NanoVNA is perfect. If damaged, the low cost allows them to be replaced.   As suggested, the original one can put up some decent data to about 300MHz.   The V2Plus4 is certainly one option to experiment above that.  Personally, I have not used mine since I picked up the LiteVNA.   Personally,  I use a PC to control my lab which includes these low cost VNAs.  While I no longer update the software for the original NanoVNA, I do continue to develop for the V2Plus4 and LiteVNA.   You can find that software here:

https://github.com/joeqsmith/Solver32-LiteVNA-V2Plus4

If you are interested in seeing how they perform, I have created a few videos showing them with my software.   Of course, with low cost we have square wave drive, low dynamic range, lack of features like bias-Ts and attenuators.  Video below talks about the square wave drive.       

graybeard:
I have both a nanovna-f and a sva1015x.

The sva1015x works well from 10MHz to 1.5 GHz.  If i am working in that range it is the one I use.  I especially like the log frequency sweep feature and slightly greater dynamic range.  The interface is much nicer on the Siglent.  It is also faster.

However the nanovna-f works far better at lower frequencies.  The price is much better too.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version