Author Topic: Need help hacking DP832 for multicolour option.  (Read 154905 times)

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
Re: Need help hacking DP832 for multicolour option.
« Reply #425 on: December 02, 2021, 08:16:27 pm »
I guess this disk image, Rigol_sign_disk.zip (62.31 kB, attached at the end of this post https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-rigol-ds1054z-oscilloscope/msg3613778/#msg3613778 ) should be good for DP832, but I only tested it for DS1054z.

- download the "Rigol_sign_disk.zip" and unzip "card_FAT32_w_SIGN_manually_added_103E00"

- if you have a Windows PC, write the file "card_FAT32_w_SIGN_manually_added_103E00" on any USB drive you have using Win32DiskImager (do not copy/paste on the USB drive, write it using Win32DiskImager program)

- if you have a Linux PC, then dd the extracted file to any USB drive (no preformat required), for example
Code: [Select]
sudo dd if=card_FAT32_w_SIGN_manually_added_103E00 of=/dev/sdx && sync

The format type of the USB drive doesn't matter for this method, because either dd or Win32DiskImager will overwrite sector by sector the USB drive, and the "card_FAT32_w_SIGN_manually_added_103E00" file also contains the partition table (so the proper format).

Once the Rigol upgrade work is finished, format the USB drive again using the PC, to regain the normal functionality of the USB drive.

Offline -Tip-

« Reply #426 on: January 29, 2022, 11:29:51 pm »
Hello all,

Hoping this isn't the wrong place to ask, as this seems to be discussion around the model change hack, but I just bought and received a secondhand DP832, and immediately updated to the latest firmware.  I then tried to apply the riglol hack (entered my serial number on the page, left the AAAA default options, and it generated a licence key.

However, when i try to install the key at the "licence" prompt, after entering all the characters, I press OK, and it says "Invalid Serial" number.  I have tried twice without success, and even tried regenerating the key on the site several times - it creates the same key every time.  Double checked that my serial number was accurate too...

Am I doing this wrong?  Or is the latest firmware different and no longer allows the licence hack to work?

UPDATE:  I got it to work.  Had to do each option separately - skipped the RS232 since I had read that one doesn't work anymore (which is fine by me, and I didn't plan to use it)...

Now on the the model upgrade! :-)

Dear spiff72, I faced the same problem as you, please tell me, when you selected each option separately, did the private key change? It doesn’t change for me, even though I choose the AAAA option, at least some kind of separate one. Firmware version 1.06.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #427 on: January 30, 2022, 02:26:55 am »
If you do the model upgrade from DP832 to DP832A, then all the possible options will be included, so no need to add any option to the DP832 before turning it into a DP832A.

Offline -Tip-

« Reply #428 on: January 30, 2022, 12:42:56 pm »
If you do the model upgrade from DP832 to DP832A, then all the possible options will be included, so no need to add any option to the DP832 before turning it into a DP832A.
Dear RoGeorge, thank you for your comment, I have upgraded the power supply to model 832A using the described instructions. Please tell me if it is possible to roll back the firmware and return the old interface, maybe my views are old fashioned, but I really like the green font on a black background, it is bright and easy to read.

Offline RoGeorge

• Super Contributor
« Reply #429 on: January 30, 2022, 06:41:19 pm »
I have never tried to downgrade, but my guess is the exact same procedure you used to turn 832 into 832A should also work to change back the model from 832A to 832.  Consider doing that 7 days from now, if by then you'll still wish to downgrade.

The funny thing is that at first I wanted to revert, too, but postponed it for a few days from various unrelated reasons.  ;D

From my own memories, at first it looked like the 7 segments display was better, but in the next few days I've noticed the new font is in fact much easier to read, and having different colors for each channel made a better distinction of which is which than when they were all green.

The good news is it should be possible to go back and forth as many time as you want.

The following users thanked this post: -Tip-

Offline -Tip-

« Reply #430 on: January 31, 2022, 07:10:46 am »
Dear RoGeorge, you know how to convince, thanks, I will follow your advice, maybe not everything is "so bad"  :) with this color scheme of the display. The ability to roll back the firmware reassures me. Thanks for the help and the work you've done.

Online Wintel

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #431 on: February 08, 2022, 11:47:11 pm »
Hi,

Has anyone try to hack the DL3021 to DL3031A and get 350W & 60A ?

Offline joeyjoejoe

• Frequent Contributor

Offline STMartin

• Contributor
« Reply #433 on: February 24, 2022, 05:53:40 am »
Updated Quick and Easy Upgrade Guide

I thought I'd summarize everything in one updated post, much like Vaiti did a few years ago. This will be a step-by-step, just-follow-the-directions guide.

I tested this on a DP832 and a DG1022Z. I don't have the DL series, but people in the thread have confirmed the upgrade works.

There is an FAQ at the end of the post. If you have problems or questions, check there.

Throughout the guide, you'll have to type in some commands, like this for example: "PROJ:SET MODEL, DP832A". Don't type the quotes, just the command.

1. Possible upgrades
  • DP800 series (Only to A version)
  • DL3000 series
  • DG1000Z series
For the DP series you can only upgrade to the A version of your model. For example these are OK:
  • DP832 → DP832A
  • DP811 → DP811A
  • And so on
You can't upgrade from a DP811 to a DP821A, for example. The hardware is different.

For the DG Z and DL series, you can upgrade anything to the top model.

2. What you need
  • Windows
  • Empty USB drive. Size shouldn't matter.
  • Ethernet cable (for LAN path only, see below)
  • USB type B cable (for USB path only, see below)
  • Fully updated firmware on all the instruments you plan on upgrading

3. Make the magic drive
  • Plug in the USB drive.
  • Right click the USB drive in File Explorer, click Format.
  • File system should be FAT or FAT32. Allocation unit size should be Default. Everything else is fine as it is. Click Start.
  • Download the rigol-key.img file, attached below.
  • Go to: https://win32diskimager.org/. Download and install Win32DiskImager. Run Win32DiskImager.
  • Select rigol-key.img for Image File. Make sure Device is set to the USB drive. Click Write. When it's done, click Exit.
  • Right click the USB drive in File Explorer, click Eject, and remove the USB drive from your computer.

4. Choose your path
If you are upgrading DP or DG series instruments, use the LAN path.
If you are upgrading a DL series instrument, use the USB path.

Either path will allow you to upgrade multiple instruments. However, if any of those instruments is a DL series, use the USB path.

Also, follow only one path.

5A. LAN path
  • Go to: http://gotroot.ca/rigol/riglol/. Enter your power supply's serial number in the Serial box. Enter "F6LT" in the Options box. Click Generate. DP series without LAN option only. Skip otherwise.
  • On your power supply, go to: Utility → Option → Install. Enter the code generated in the previous step, and press OK. The LAN option should say Official. Turn off the power supply. DP series without LAN option only. Skip otherwise.
  • On your computer, go to: Settings → Apps → Optional features → More Windows features. Check the box for Telnet Client, and click OK.
  • Turn on your instrument, plug in your USB drive, and the Ethernet cable.
  • On your instrument, go to: Utility → I/O Config → LAN. Record the IP Address.
    • Note: The IP Address should start with 192.168. If it doesn't, wait a minute or two, or unplug the Ethernet cable and plug it back in. Make sure to plug in the Ethernet after you turn on your instrument.
  • On your computer, click the start button, type "cmd", and run Command Prompt.
  • Type the command: "telnet 192.168.x.xxx 5555", where 192.168.x.xxx is the IP address you recorded previously. For example: "telnet 192.168.1.148 5555". If successful, the text in the window should clear.
  • You are now ready to send commands to your instrument. For the next step, xxxxx is the model number you want. For example DP832A, or DG1062Z.
  • Type in one of the following commands, and press enter. You will not see any text appear in the window. This is OK and normal.
    • For the DP series: ":PROJ:SET MODEL,xxxxx". For example: ":PROJ:SET MODEL,DP832A".
    • For the DG series: ":PROJ:STAT MODEL,xxxxx". For example: ":PROJ:STAT MODEL,DG1062Z".
  • If nothing happens on your instrument, congratulations! Your upgrade is complete. If the instrument says something like "Remote command is incorrect!", see the FAQ below. Otherwise, turn off the instrument power, remove the USB drive and Ethernet cable, and you are done. :clap:
  • If you have other instruments to upgrade, start the LAN path again at step 4.

5B. USB path
  • Go to: https://www.rigolna.com/download/, and download "UltraSigma Instrument Connectivity Driver". It's a big download (500MB), and Rigol's servers are slow.
  • Install UltraSigma. It'll ask to install several supporting files. Accept those and the license agreement.
  • Turn on your instrument, plug in the USB drive and your USB cable. Run UltraSigma.
  • Right click your instrument in the list, and click on "SCPI Panel Control".
  • You are now ready to send commands to your instrument. For the next step, "xxxxx" is the model number you want. For example "DL3031A", or "DG1062Z".
  • Type in one of the following commands, and click "Send & Read".
    • For the DP and DL series: ":PROJ:SET MODEL,xxxxx". For example: ":PROJ:SET MODEL,DL3031A".
    • For the DG series: ":PROJ:STAT MODEL,xxxxx". For example: ":PROJ:STAT MODEL,DG1062Z".
  • If nothing happens on your instrument, congratulations! Your upgrade is complete. If the instrument says something like "Remote command is incorrect!", see the FAQ below. Otherwise, turn off the instrument power, remove the USB drive and USB cable, and you are done. :clap:
  • If you have other instruments to upgrade, start the USB path again at step 3.

6. Install Arb16M option (DG series only)
There are two ways to do this. Option A will change your waveform generator's serial number, but is the much easier route. Option B will generate the actual upgrade key, but is much more involved.

6A. Serial number
  • Follow either the LAN or USB path above until you are ready to send commands to your instrument.
  • Send the command: "PROJ:STAT SN,DG1ZA000000000".
  • Congratulations! You now have the memory upgrade. :clap:
6B. Upgrade key
  • Right click the start button, and click on Windows PowerShell (Admin).
  • Enter the command "wsl --install". Once complete, restart your computer.
  • When the restart is complete, Ubuntu will finish installing. This will take several minutes.
  • When Ubuntu is finished, it will ask for a new username and password. These can be whatever you want.
  • Download rigol_64.zip file below. Unzip the file. Copy the entire contents of the miracl_64 folder to someplace convenient (you'll have to type out this path later). For example, I made a new folder directly on the C drive: C:\Riglol. This is the Riglol program we will use to generate the upgrade key.
  • In Ubuntu, type: "cd /mnt/c/whatever/your/path/is". For example, I typed: "cd /mnt/c/Riglol".
  • Then type: "./riglol YourSerialNumber JBNE". Obviously, replace YourSerialNumber with your serial number. Riglol should print out the upgrade key.
  • Create a new text file with Notepad. On the first line, enter your serial number. On the second line, copy the upgrade key from Riglol. Press enter one more time to make a blank third line.
  • Save the file to a USB drive. Name the file whatever you want, but make sure it ends with ".lic". Also make sure All Files is selected in the Save as type field.
  • Plug the USB drive into the waveform generator.
  • On the waveform generator, go to Store. Select File Type → All File. Select the D: drive. Press the Browser button to select File. Highlight the file you just made, and press Read.

FAQ
I got a "Remote command is incorrect!" error
This is usually related to the magic USB drive. Make sure you followed the magic drive directions, and the drive is plugged in to your instrument. Perhaps try a different USB drive. Also make sure you typed out the commands exactly as they are in the instructions.

I can't connect with Telnet
For the DP series, make sure you enabled the LAN option first, as described in the LAN path. Otherwise, it is probably an issue with your home network. Try connecting it directly to your router.

The Arb16M upgrade didn't work
Make sure you typed in the right serial number for Riglol, and included the JBNE option. Make sure you create the text file exactly as described. Include that third blank line, make sure the file name ends with .lic, and make sure you save as type All Files. Also, programs like Word or OpenOffice Writer may not work. Use Notepad.

Can I still update the firmware in the future?
Yes.

Do the upgrades enable all the options?
Yes, except for the Arb16M option on the DG series. You have to do that separately.

Is the performance going to be as good as the real instrument?
Yes. The hardware between versions is the same. Only the software limits it.

I don't like the triangular display of the upgraded DP series. Can I change it?
Yes. Go to: Display → Disp Mode → Classic.

Can I undo the upgrades?
Yes. Follow either the LAN or USB path above until you are ready to send commands to your instrument. If you want to undo multiple upgrades in a row, you will have to restart your instrument after each one.
  • Change back model: Send the same command you did before, except change it back to the old model. For example, type ":PROJ:SET MODEL,DP832" to change back to a DP832. You will still need the magic USB drive.
  • Remove options: Send the command: ":LIC:CLEAR".
  • Change back serial number: Send the command: "PROJ:STAT SN,YourSerialNumber". Obviously, replace YourSerialNumber with your serial number. You will still need the magic USB drive.
Do I still need all that software I downloaded?
No. You can safely uninstall everything.
  • Win32DiskImager: Uninstall like any other program.
  • Telnet: Go to: Settings → Apps → Optional features → More Windows features, and uncheck Telnet Client. Click OK.
  • UltraSigma: Uninstall like any other program. You can remove the following: IVI Shared Components, National Instruments Software, RIGOL Ultra Sigma, and VISA Shared Components.
  • Ubuntu and Riglol: Uninstall like any other program. You can remove the following: Ubuntu, and Windows Subsystem for Linux Update. Also, go to: Settings → Apps → Optional features → More Windows features. Uncheck the boxes for Virtual Machine Platform, and Windows Subsystem for Linux. You can just delete the Riglol folder.
Do I still need the magic drive?
No. It is only needed for the upgrade process.

I already have Linux. Do I need Ubuntu on Windows?
No. The version of Riglol we need for the Arb16M upgrade was compiled for Linux, and Ubuntu on Windows was the easiest way to get that to run for most people. I'm sure it won't run on ANY distro, but I'm not a Linux guy so you're on your own there.

Is this guide the only way to do the upgrades?
No. There are other ways to send the commands, or get Riglol to run. This was the way I used, and seemed the least technical route with the fewest problems.

How does all this work?
These instruments have hidden SCPI commands that we used to upgrade. SCPI is a standard way for PCs to communicate with test equipment; usually to automate testing for mass production. However, these hidden commands won't work unless there is a USB drive present that contains a "magic number" at a particular place in memory. Our magic USB drive contains that magic number in all the places the instrument might look. Once that's plugged in, all we need to do is send the SCPI command, via LAN or USB. Voila!

Riglol, as far as I can tell, was written by someone who managed to reverse engineer the way Rigol generates their official keys. The gotroot website has an online version, and the Ubuntu version you may have used is the same thing, but also supports the DG series.

Who can we thank for all this?
Spork Schivago for kicking off the DP hack
tossu for actually figuring it out
volkimel, tv84, and Macbeth for early work helping to decrypt the firmware
« Last Edit: February 24, 2022, 06:37:47 am by STMartin »

The following users thanked this post: lmamakos, thm_w, hansibull, NF6X, twdotnet, sulami, suicid, jio, Andrey_Ak, ton4eff, Jean Michel

Online _Wim_

• Super Contributor
« Reply #434 on: February 25, 2022, 12:46:09 pm »
Updated Quick and Easy Upgrade Guide

I thought I'd summarize everything in one updated post, much like Vaiti did a few years ago. This will be a step-by-step, just-follow-the-directions guide.

I tested this on a DP832 and a DG1022Z. I don't have the DL series, but people in the thread have confirmed the upgrade works.

There is an FAQ at the end of the post. If you have problems or questions, check there.

Throughout the guide, you'll have to type in some commands, like this for example: "PROJ:SET MODEL, DP832A". Don't type the quotes, just the command.

1. Possible upgrades
  • DP800 series (Only to A version)
  • DL3000 series
  • DG1000Z series
For the DP series you can only upgrade to the A version of your model. For example these are OK:
  • DP832 → DP832A
  • DP811 → DP811A
  • And so on
You can't upgrade from a DP811 to a DP821A, for example. The hardware is different.

For the DG Z and DL series, you can upgrade anything to the top model.

2. What you need
  • Windows
  • Empty USB drive. Size shouldn't matter.
  • Ethernet cable (for LAN path only, see below)
  • USB type B cable (for USB path only, see below)
  • Fully updated firmware on all the instruments you plan on upgrading

3. Make the magic drive
  • Plug in the USB drive.
  • Right click the USB drive in File Explorer, click Format.
  • File system should be FAT or FAT32. Allocation unit size should be Default. Everything else is fine as it is. Click Start.
  • Download the rigol-key.img file, attached below.
  • Go to: https://win32diskimager.org/. Download and install Win32DiskImager. Run Win32DiskImager.
  • Select rigol-key.img for Image File. Make sure Device is set to the USB drive. Click Write. When it's done, click Exit.
  • Right click the USB drive in File Explorer, click Eject, and remove the USB drive from your computer.

4. Choose your path
If you are upgrading DP or DG series instruments, use the LAN path.
If you are upgrading a DL series instrument, use the USB path.

Either path will allow you to upgrade multiple instruments. However, if any of those instruments is a DL series, use the USB path.

Also, follow only one path.

5A. LAN path
  • Go to: http://gotroot.ca/rigol/riglol/. Enter your power supply's serial number in the Serial box. Enter "F6LT" in the Options box. Click Generate. DP series without LAN option only. Skip otherwise.
  • On your power supply, go to: Utility → Option → Install. Enter the code generated in the previous step, and press OK. The LAN option should say Official. Turn off the power supply. DP series without LAN option only. Skip otherwise.
  • On your computer, go to: Settings → Apps → Optional features → More Windows features. Check the box for Telnet Client, and click OK.
  • Turn on your instrument, plug in your USB drive, and the Ethernet cable.
  • On your instrument, go to: Utility → I/O Config → LAN. Record the IP Address.
    • Note: The IP Address should start with 192.168. If it doesn't, wait a minute or two, or unplug the Ethernet cable and plug it back in. Make sure to plug in the Ethernet after you turn on your instrument.
  • On your computer, click the start button, type "cmd", and run Command Prompt.
  • Type the command: "telnet 192.168.x.xxx 5555", where 192.168.x.xxx is the IP address you recorded previously. For example: "telnet 192.168.1.148 5555". If successful, the text in the window should clear.
  • You are now ready to send commands to your instrument. For the next step, xxxxx is the model number you want. For example DP832A, or DG1062Z.
  • Type in one of the following commands, and press enter. You will not see any text appear in the window. This is OK and normal.
    • For the DP series: ":PROJ:SET MODEL,xxxxx". For example: ":PROJ:SET MODEL,DP832A".
  • If nothing happens on your instrument, congratulations! Your upgrade is complete. If the instrument says something like "Remote command is incorrect!", see the FAQ below. Otherwise, turn off the instrument power, remove the USB drive and Ethernet cable, and you are done. :clap:
  • If you have other instruments to upgrade, start the LAN path again at step 4.

5B. USB path
  • Go to: https://www.rigolna.com/download/, and download "UltraSigma Instrument Connectivity Driver". It's a big download (500MB), and Rigol's servers are slow.
  • Install UltraSigma. It'll ask to install several supporting files. Accept those and the license agreement.
  • Turn on your instrument, plug in the USB drive and your USB cable. Run UltraSigma.
  • Right click your instrument in the list, and click on "SCPI Panel Control".
  • You are now ready to send commands to your instrument. For the next step, "xxxxx" is the model number you want. For example "DL3031A", or "DG1062Z".
  • Type in one of the following commands, and click "Send & Read".
    • For the DP and DL series: ":PROJ:SET MODEL,xxxxx". For example: ":PROJ:SET MODEL,DL3031A".
  • If nothing happens on your instrument, congratulations! Your upgrade is complete. If the instrument says something like "Remote command is incorrect!", see the FAQ below. Otherwise, turn off the instrument power, remove the USB drive and USB cable, and you are done. :clap:
  • If you have other instruments to upgrade, start the USB path again at step 3.

6. Install Arb16M option (DG series only)
There are two ways to do this. Option A will change your waveform generator's serial number, but is the much easier route. Option B will generate the actual upgrade key, but is much more involved.

6A. Serial number
  • Follow either the LAN or USB path above until you are ready to send commands to your instrument.
  • Send the command: "PROJ:STAT SN,DG1ZA000000000".
6B. Upgrade key
  • Right click the start button, and click on Windows PowerShell (Admin).
  • Enter the command "wsl --install". Once complete, restart your computer.
  • When the restart is complete, Ubuntu will finish installing. This will take several minutes.
  • When Ubuntu is finished, it will ask for a new username and password. These can be whatever you want.
  • Download rigol_64.zip file below. Unzip the file. Copy the entire contents of the miracl_64 folder to someplace convenient (you'll have to type out this path later). For example, I made a new folder directly on the C drive: C:\Riglol. This is the Riglol program we will use to generate the upgrade key.
  • In Ubuntu, type: "cd /mnt/c/whatever/your/path/is". For example, I typed: "cd /mnt/c/Riglol".
  • Then type: "./riglol YourSerialNumber JBNE". Obviously, replace YourSerialNumber with your serial number. Riglol should print out the upgrade key.
  • Create a new text file with Notepad. On the first line, enter your serial number. On the second line, copy the upgrade key from Riglol. Press enter one more time to make a blank third line.
  • Save the file to a USB drive. Name the file whatever you want, but make sure it ends with ".lic". Also make sure All Files is selected in the Save as type field.
  • Plug the USB drive into the waveform generator.
  • On the waveform generator, go to Store. Select File Type → All File. Select the D: drive. Press the Browser button to select File. Highlight the file you just made, and press Read.

FAQ
I got a "Remote command is incorrect!" error
This is usually related to the magic USB drive. Make sure you followed the magic drive directions, and the drive is plugged in to your instrument. Perhaps try a different USB drive. Also make sure you typed out the commands exactly as they are in the instructions.

I can't connect with Telnet
For the DP series, make sure you enabled the LAN option first, as described in the LAN path. Otherwise, it is probably an issue with your home network. Try connecting it directly to your router.

The Arb16M upgrade didn't work
Make sure you typed in the right serial number for Riglol, and included the JBNE option. Make sure you create the text file exactly as described. Include that third blank line, make sure the file name ends with .lic, and make sure you save as type All Files. Also, programs like Word or OpenOffice Writer may not work. Use Notepad.

Can I still update the firmware in the future?
Yes.

Do the upgrades enable all the options?
Yes, except for the Arb16M option on the DG series. You have to do that separately.

Is the performance going to be as good as the real instrument?
Yes. The hardware between versions is the same. Only the software limits it.

I don't like the triangular display of the upgraded DP series. Can I change it?
Yes. Go to: Display → Disp Mode → Classic.

Can I undo the upgrades?
Yes. Follow either the LAN or USB path above until you are ready to send commands to your instrument. If you want to undo multiple upgrades in a row, you will have to restart your instrument after each one.
  • Change back model: Send the same command you did before, except change it back to the old model. For example, type ":PROJ:SET MODEL,DP832" to change back to a DP832. You will still need the magic USB drive.
  • Remove options: Send the command: ":LIC:CLEAR".
  • Change back serial number: Send the command: "PROJ:STAT SN,YourSerialNumber". Obviously, replace YourSerialNumber with your serial number. You will still need the magic USB drive.
Do I still need all that software I downloaded?
No. You can safely uninstall everything.
  • Win32DiskImager: Uninstall like any other program.
  • Telnet: Go to: Settings → Apps → Optional features → More Windows features, and uncheck Telnet Client. Click OK.
  • UltraSigma: Uninstall like any other program. You can remove the following: IVI Shared Components, National Instruments Software, RIGOL Ultra Sigma, and VISA Shared Components.
  • Ubuntu and Riglol: Uninstall like any other program. You can remove the following: Ubuntu, and Windows Subsystem for Linux Update. Also, go to: Settings → Apps → Optional features → More Windows features. Uncheck the boxes for Virtual Machine Platform, and Windows Subsystem for Linux. You can just delete the Riglol folder.
Do I still need the magic drive?
No. It is only needed for the upgrade process.

I already have Linux. Do I need Ubuntu on Windows?
No. The version of Riglol we need for the Arb16M upgrade was compiled for Linux, and Ubuntu on Windows was the easiest way to get that to run for most people. I'm sure it won't run on ANY distro, but I'm not a Linux guy so you're on your own there.

Is this guide the only way to do the upgrades?
No. There are other ways to send the commands, or get Riglol to run. This was the way I used, and seemed the least technical route with the fewest problems.

How does all this work?
These instruments have hidden SCPI commands that we used to upgrade. SCPI is a standard way for PCs to communicate with test equipment; usually to automate testing for mass production. However, these hidden commands won't work unless there is a USB drive present that contains a "magic number" at a particular place in memory. Our magic USB drive contains that magic number in all the places the instrument might look. Once that's plugged in, all we need to do is send the SCPI command, via LAN or USB. Voila!

Riglol, as far as I can tell, was written by someone who managed to reverse engineer the way Rigol generates their official keys. The gotroot website has an online version, and the Ubuntu version you may have used is the same thing, but also supports the DG series.

Who can we thank for all this?
Spork Schivago for kicking off the DP hack
tossu for actually figuring it out
volkimel, tv84, and Macbeth for early work helping to decrypt the firmware

Excellent write-up! This should be ideal for all new to this. I am only wondering if this is the ideal thread for other to find this useful information.

Offline joeyjoejoe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #435 on: March 09, 2022, 01:11:14 am »
Perhaps to add to the writeup

You can do this with linux without any tools. I'm running Ubuntu 20 on my laptop. A simple echo will suffice.

root@grexps:/home/greg/python-usbtmc#  echo "*IDN?" > /dev/usbtmc0; cat /dev/usbtmc0
RIGOL TECHNOLOGIES,DL3021A,DL3A19xxxx,00.01.04.00root@grexps:/home/greg/python-usbtmc#
root@grexps:/home/greg/python-usbtmc#
root@grexps:/home/greg/python-usbtmc# echo ":PROJ:SET MODEL,DL3031A" > /dev/usbtmc0; cat /dev/usbtmc0
OK
cat: /dev/usbtmc0: Connection timed out

The following users thanked this post: lmamakos

Offline trampas

• Contributor
« Reply #436 on: October 25, 2022, 05:18:44 pm »
I have the DP832 hacked to DP832A.  I went to the IP address expecting to see a way to see/change the power supply settings.  That is some type of UI that replaces front panel much like the Rigol O-scope has. 

I was wondering if anyone else was missing this feature?  Is it worth doing a node.js project to add this? If we did come up with a UI how much trouble would it be to have the power supply host the web page?

Offline Remek

« Reply #437 on: November 03, 2022, 12:19:54 am »
Do you know if it is possible to hack the new dp900 series?

Offline lmamakos

• Contributor
« Reply #438 on: November 11, 2022, 10:24:13 pm »
I did this on a Raspberry Pi, where the USB serial device also showed up as /dev/usbtmc0 on Raspian 11, with a kernel reporting itself as

Linux pigps 5.15.32-v7l+ #1538 SMP Thu Mar 31 19:39:41 BST 2022 armv7l

This approach worked really great, thanks!   

Perhaps to add to the writeup

You can do this with linux without any tools. I'm running Ubuntu 20 on my laptop. A simple echo will suffice.

root@grexps:/home/greg/python-usbtmc#  echo "*IDN?" > /dev/usbtmc0; cat /dev/usbtmc0
RIGOL TECHNOLOGIES,DL3021A,DL3A19xxxx,00.01.04.00root@grexps:/home/greg/python-usbtmc#
root@grexps:/home/greg/python-usbtmc# echo ":PROJ:SET MODEL,DL3031A" > /dev/usbtmc0; cat /dev/usbtmc0
OK
cat: /dev/usbtmc0: Connection timed out

Offline ozkarah

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #439 on: November 21, 2022, 02:36:34 pm »
Is there any possibility that this method works on the new DP932E/DP932U models?

Offline radensb

• Contributor
« Reply #440 on: November 25, 2022, 08:43:26 pm »
Is there any possibility that this method works on the new DP932E/DP932U models?
I am also interested in this! The DP900 series looks to have fully independent supplies for all three channels, which is pretty nice! Its still unclear if there are any HW limitations between the A/U, and E models. The E model is only $50 more than the DP832.

The following users thanked this post: ozkarah

Offline Xoff

• Contributor
« Reply #441 on: December 28, 2022, 09:38:55 am »
Unfortunately I was unable to change model of DP932E using this method.

There was no error message posted after ":PROJ:SET MODEL,DP932A" command, however no model change after the restart.
FAT32 is supported with MBR (important when using Disk Utility on Mac).

Offline Coliban

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #442 on: April 06, 2023, 11:33:17 am »
I upgrade my DP832 to newest FW Version 00.01.16.00.02

I wanted to activate that color mode DP832A but the commands presented here are not working over lan. (I can't upgrade license over USB because my Apple MAC OS does not recognized the USB connection)

if I say (with telnet)
> :PROJ:SET MODEL,DP832A

the device answers "Remote command is incorrect"

How could I update the license?

"If Lyfe were a Thing that Monie could buy -- the Poor could not live & the Rich would not die." Quote on a gravestone from a glove maker, Scotland, 17th century

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #443 on: April 06, 2023, 01:31:02 pm »
(I can't upgrade license over USB because my Apple MAC OS does not recognized the USB connection)

Then use another PC!

The method described in this thread requires you to have a specific file/sector inside the USB disk. You can't go without it!

Offline uesak

« Reply #444 on: July 16, 2023, 01:16:18 pm »
USD Flash Drive with a capacity of 4GB must be used, and the file type must be FAT. Otherwise, DP832 will not detect the USB drive.
On July 8, 2023, I made a mistake by using both 32 and 64 GB USB flash drives, even though I adjusted the allocation table to 512, 1024, 2048, it didn't work. The device responded with "Remote command is incorrect."
I accidentally tried using the command in Ultra Sigma by pressing the Clear button, which cleared all the options and licenses for LAN/RS232 and others.
I took time to think and tested step by step. Currently, I'm using a 4GB USB drive, but I need to fix the LAN issue first as mentioned below:

1. Check if the LAN option has a license. Don't worry about other options because if it's done correctly, they will all come back.

2. If the LAN option for DP832 is still not available, go to https://gotroot.ca/rigol/riglol/ and enter the DP832 machine's serial number. In the Option field, enter F6LT (emphasis on using only F6LT) to generate the LAN code. Take the license generated and enter it in the DP832 machine to enable LAN. Your LAN should now be turned on, and you may need to restart the machine.

3. Follow the steps recommended by STMartin. The best USB Flash Drive should be 4GB or 8GB or maybe more. To check if the USB Flash Drive works, connect it to the DP832 device, and it should be detected and displayed on the DP832 screen. If it's not detected, you need to format it or try a different USB Flash Drive.

4. I use the Rigol Ultra Sigma program because it's installed on Windows 11. If you haven't installed it on Windows 11, download "Ultra Sigma(PC) Installer.rar" from RIGOL, unzip/unrar it into a temporary folder. Then, copy all the files and folders to the root of the USB Flash Drive and run "Setup.exe" on the USB Flash Drive to install the program. Open the Ultra Sigma program.

5. Next, make sure the IP address is in the same group. I found that if I connect the DP832 to a computer notebook, they would have different IP addresses, which doesn't work. So, I connected the LAN cable to the Wi-Fi Router, which resulted in the DP832 having the same IP address. You can use the ping command in the Windows console to verify the response.

6. Once the LAN cable, IP address, and USB Flash Drive are set up correctly, when you connect the USB Flash Drive to the back of the DP832 device, you should hear a sound and the DP832 should recognize it. Follow STMartin's instructions to proceed.

7. After completing all the steps, restart the device, and you will have the color version along with all the options enabled.

I sincerely thank STMartin, Spork Schivago, tossu, volkimel, tv84, and Macbeth for their invaluable assistance
« Last Edit: July 16, 2023, 01:20:11 pm by uesak »

Offline 0x00

« Reply #445 on: September 04, 2023, 07:28:09 pm »
Is it safe to upgrade to 00.01.16.00.02 after applying the color hack?

USD Flash Drive with a capacity of 4GB must be used, and the file type must be FAT. Otherwise, DP832 will not detect the USB drive.

I just converted my Rigol DP832 to a DP832A using a 128GB SSD, worked fine. (Didn't have any small flash drives left in my office.)

s u d o dd of=/dev/rdisk5 if=rigol-key.img
# Remove the spaces for sudo when running for real

Where /dev/rdisk5 was my external USB SSD.

Offline uesak

« Reply #446 on: September 24, 2023, 12:20:22 pm »
I'm doing well, and I've had no issues with your mentioned version; it appears to be safe and problem-free. I've been using it just as you said.
Regarding the USB Flash Drive, if you require a capacity larger than 4GB, 8GB, or 16GB, I suggest the following steps:
1. Plug the Flash Drive into your DP832.
2. Check if the DP832 detects the Flash Drive.
3. Use the DP832's menu commands to secure your data.
4. Attempt to access the secured data on your computer.
If everything goes smoothly during these steps, your Flash Drive should work perfectly. I wish you the best of luck and every success!
 ;D ;D ;D

Offline Nrkb

• Contributor
« Reply #447 on: November 10, 2023, 12:38:54 am »
Hello,
just wondering if this upgrade hack is still working fine and easy theses days with new revisions DP832 to DP832A.
I'm planning to buy one and it's about 300$ CAD difference...
I'm reading the whole thread right now but it's 18 pages and it might take a little while so i thought of asking.  :scared:

Oh and about that loud fan, do they come with quieter fans now?

Thanks

Offline maxpayne

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #448 on: November 10, 2023, 12:48:59 am »
Yap,,,the upgrade hack is still working fine ! :)

Offline Nrkb

• Contributor
« Reply #449 on: November 10, 2023, 12:52:04 am »
Great, thanks!!

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf