Author Topic: need help understanding how this multimeter works  (Read 2169 times)

Offline castironmanTopic starter

• Contributor
  • If I can only take it apart....
need help understanding how this multimeter works
« on: November 14, 2017, 12:34:48 am »
Hello. I have a multimeter that is doing something new to me. It has a slow auto range and it displays all zero's as it goes through the ranges. It works like this: lets say you are measuring 9vdc, and because it is a 6000 counts, it has to move to the nearest scale to 9v volts, so it will display 0.000 then 0.00 then it will display the readings without shooting high or low. I never saw this on other meters that I own. So if anyone can explain it to me I thank you very much. It's a new meter, replaced batteries and checked with different voltages DC with same results. Thank you for your help.
Joe

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
Re: need help understanding how this multimeter works
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2017, 02:24:27 am »
It would help us help you if you told us the make and model number so we know if that is normal or abnormal behaviour.

Offline castironmanTopic starter

• Contributor
  • If I can only take it apart....
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2017, 01:47:28 pm »
Thank you for your help, it is a Southwire 14070T. I believe it is a CEM re bagged meter. It had some problem with it and Southwire replaced it but the new one still goes back to 0.00 and I think that makes it to have a slow autorange. Thank you.

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2017, 07:38:12 pm »
Some Southwire multimeters are rebadged CEM Instruments.  Yours is a DT-965T.

http://www.cem-instruments.com/en/Product/detail/id/1332
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 08:05:29 pm by retiredcaps »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2017, 07:41:39 pm »
It works like this: lets say you are measuring 9vdc, and because it is a 6000 counts, it has to move to the nearest scale to 9v volts, so it will display 0.000 then 0.00 then it will display the readings without shooting high or low.
I haven't read the manual, but most CEM meters are 2 times/sec display update speed.

What you describe above sounds like the correct behaviour for the meter as it starts at the lowest range 0.000 (6V), then goes to 0.00 (60V) and then settling in on the correct 9V reading.  If it is 2 times/sec update, then the autoranging speed seems glacial especially if you are used to a faster or manual range multimeter.

edit: manual says measurement rate is 3 readings/sec nominal at

http://www.southwiretools.com/tools/m/file.get.do?file_id=1955

but doesn't specify the screen update rate?  That is, measurement rate and screen display update rate isn't necessary the same.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 07:49:24 pm by retiredcaps »

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2017, 07:47:17 pm »
Just as a reference, the Fluke 87V says in their manual (clearly)

Specifications
Display: Digital: 6000 counts updates 4/sec; (Model 87 also has 19,999 counts in high-resolution mode).

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2017, 08:07:10 pm »
BTW, if you are willing, can you take it apart and post some pictures of the pcb inside?  I don't think we have seen one of these yet?

If not, no worries.

Online IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2017, 08:12:44 pm »
Hello. I have a multimeter that is doing something new to me. It has a slow auto range and it displays all zero's as it goes through the ranges. It works like this: lets say you are measuring 9vdc, and because it is a 6000 counts, it has to move to the nearest scale to 9v volts, so it will display 0.000 then 0.00 then it will display the readings without shooting high or low. I never saw this on other meters that I own. So if anyone can explain it to me I thank you very much. It's a new meter, replaced batteries and checked with different voltages DC with same results. Thank you for your help.

I did a spot check on a couple of meters I own. One of them shows "over range" for a short period while the auto-range settles. The other blanks the display for a short period before settling.

I see nothing wrong in principle with showing 0.000 then 0.00 before settling. It's just a different way of doing things. Why are you worried or bothered by it?

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2017, 08:13:23 pm »
CEM's marketing/photoshop division clearly needs some education.  It shows 0.000VAC while the selector switch is in the off position.

Even Southwire's stock photo is wrong.  While it shows 120VAC with the selector switch in the V, the hold icon is missing from the lcd display (should be bottom left).  Unless measuring with no probes attached is really 120VAC.

Fail for both companies and both should be in the stock image FAIL thread.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2017, 08:15:16 pm by retiredcaps »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf