Author Topic: Need oscilloscope suggestions from a reputable brand  (Read 5604 times)

Offline BillB

• Supporter
Re: Need oscilloscope suggestions from a reputable brand
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2019, 05:24:49 pm »
...He's an old-school controls engineer who worked at IBM and Boeing way back in the day before getting into academia decades ago, so I doubt he's kept up with developments in the test equipment scene...

It's almost as if he doesn't spend several hours a day lurking on EEVblog forums!  And he calls himself an addict, err.... engineer?!   pfffft.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2019, 10:29:07 pm »
The Bode plot functions on these scopes are mostly just educational additions, not serious R&D tools, so arguing over the finer details is kinda, meh.
I beg to differ. Recently I wanted to know the frequency response of a simple circuit and the bode plot on the scope I have here worked just fine for that purpose.

Of course, you needed a simple bode plot and it did it, that's it's job. That's why I said "mostly"
What I mean is the feature is not exactly going to have the commercial bode plot tools quaking in their boots.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2019, 10:58:09 pm »
The Bode plot functions on these scopes are mostly just educational additions, not serious R&D tools, so arguing over the finer details is kinda, meh.
I beg to differ. Recently I wanted to know the frequency response of a simple circuit and the bode plot on the scope I have here worked just fine for that purpose.
Of course, you needed a simple bode plot and it did it, that's it's job. That's why I said "mostly"
What I mean is the feature is not exactly going to have the commercial bode plot tools quaking in their boots.
Maybe, maybe not but -for example- digital inputs on oscilloscopes are likely to have put a big dent in logic analyser sales. I'd expect the bode plotting on oscilloscopes to get impedance & equivalent RL/RC circuit cursor readouts as well. That would eat away a lot of territory which is currently occupied by network analysers.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 11:46:22 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2019, 01:19:57 am »

SDS1104X-E
Sweep source SAG1021 optional AWG module
Connection HW; BNC cable and Tee, 2x BNC to croc clip leads (DUT IN, DUT OUT)

Sweep = 100 Hz - 100 KHz, 4V p-p, Low res

The phase response doesn't look very smooth. Is that the best it can do ?

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2019, 01:24:40 am »
I'd recommend a RTB2004. With the current promotion and their steep educational discounts (~30%) it's right in your price range, an excellent scope and very cheap.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2019, 12:33:45 pm »
The phase response doesn't look very smooth. Is that the best it can do ?
At low signal levels there is too much noise to measure the phase accurately. You'll see the same effect on a network analyser.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2019, 02:28:37 pm »
an excellent scope and very cheap.

In my region "very cheap" has other meanings.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2019, 03:58:49 pm »
an excellent scope and very cheap.

In my region "very cheap" has other meanings.

I agree.. 3200€ is not very cheap, even in wealthiest countries of EU.

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2019, 06:38:17 pm »
3200EUR with the 30% education discount (assuming it applies, but with a larger purchase I'm sure it will) is 2.2k for a fully optioned 300MHz scope. That's extremely cheap.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2019, 07:05:04 pm »
3200EUR with the 30% education discount (assuming it applies, but with a larger purchase I'm sure it will) is 2.2k for a fully optioned 300MHz scope. That's extremely cheap.

30% on top of a 42% promotion???  :o

Where do you get that idea?

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2019, 07:15:18 pm »

It is a very good price. Not cheap. Word cheap means very low priced as in you can easily buy it with pocket money. 200-300€ might be called cheap when a scope is in question.
And even that is a stretch for some people..  But now I'm nitpicking. Sorry.

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2019, 07:20:49 pm »

30% on top of a 42% promotion???  :o

Where do you get that idea?

30% was the educational discount I got when I bought both promotioned and non-promotioned R&S items (and when I was quoted Keysight stuff from the same distributor), so it's reasonable to assume they'll also apply it here.

It is a very good price. Not cheap. Word cheap means very low priced as in you can easily buy it with pocket money. 200-300€ might be called cheap when a scope is in question.
And even that is a stretch for some people..  But now I'm nitpicking. Sorry.

I guess we can argue semantics, but let's just call it a very good deal (and within the OP's price range) and leave it at that.

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf