Author Topic: Negative capacitance on HP4194A lcr meter  (Read 911 times)

Offline ihebTopic starter

Negative capacitance on HP4194A lcr meter
« on: December 01, 2021, 02:42:58 pm »
I am trying to measure a photodetector's internal Series and parallel capacitance using HP 4194A, however i am encountering this issue that the capacitance is negative ?
can anyone help and explain what am i doing wrong or what can i do to get the right capacitance and series resistance. 
thank you

Offline RolandK

• Regular Contributor
Re: Negative capacitance on HP4194A lcr meter
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2021, 03:30:02 pm »
negative capacitance means an inductive behaviour. So your

Xc = 1 / (2 * Pi * f * C)

As Xc is negative:

XL = 2 * Pi * f * L

with XL = -Xc you get

L = - 1 / (2 * Pi * f)^2 / f

If you reduce your measurement-frequency, the Xc increases and the XL decreases.

You have both at the same time, but you only see the difference on the instrument.
Why do old shaffner filters blow? - because there are rifas inside.
Why do rifas blow? Only time shows if the best new thing is really best. Here it is not.

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username, iheb

Offline RolandK

• Regular Contributor
Re: Negative capacitance on HP4194A lcr meter
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2021, 03:46:13 pm »
The other point is, you should calibrate the 4194A four your individual probe adapter. If you don't know how, read the f... manual.
Or: Measure the capacitance of your setup with removed photodiode (which should be more negative) and with photodiode and calculate the difference.

For measuring the diode you should know your required bias and explore how to apply it: you must decoupple the power supply for the used frequency (use incutors and or high resistors) and you must protect your instrument from the powersupply (use capacitors) Theare is a difference in capacitance depending on the actual voltage (vorward, none, reverse).

A nice introduction is keysight's impedance measurement handbook. You should know what to do before killing your instrument.

Why do old shaffner filters blow? - because there are rifas inside.
Why do rifas blow? Only time shows if the best new thing is really best. Here it is not.

The following users thanked this post: iheb

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf