Author Topic: New 2ch pocket DSO+SG - Zeeweii DSO2512G  (Read 100282 times)

khr and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Online tunkTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
New 2ch pocket DSO+SG - Zeeweii DSO2512G
« on: April 11, 2021, 06:09:49 pm »

Edit, 08-05-2021: Looks like the original video is gone private.
There's a copy here:
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 02:57:55 pm by tunk »

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Online tunkTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New 2ch pocket DSO+SG - SigPeak DSO2512G
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2021, 04:18:27 pm »
And here's a screen dump of the PCB (taken from the youtube video):

Offline Ivanko1

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2021, 08:15:23 am »
How much for it? And where to buy? Is it on Aliexpress?

Offline I wanted a rude username

• Frequent Contributor
  • ... but this username is also acceptable.
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2021, 09:22:21 am »
It's on Taobao for 500 RMB.

Supereyes also lists it, but at double the price (and almost sold out) ... they are the "Russian supplier" that Mikhail Shevchenko corrected on the screen size ... their listing page has his discussion with them, as well as the Russian manual.

Haven't seen a test of how it performs at higher frequencies yet, but at 500 MS/s I don't see how the bandwidth can be 120 MHz ...

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2021, 11:37:31 pm »
Haven't seen a test of how it performs at higher frequencies yet, but at 500 MS/s I don't see how the bandwidth can be 120 MHz ...

Why's that?

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2021, 02:49:21 am »

Why's that?

These cheap oscilloscopes seem to be reporting their bandwidth based on "equivalent time sampling". Since 1996 mainstream oscilloscope manufacturers speak of bandwidth in terms of "real-time sampling". Dave talks about this in this blog video (around 22:40):

EEVblog #1317​ - $140 2CH 100MHz Fnirsi Tablet Oscilloscope Review
https://youtu.be/5iwtDwJlbWk?t=22m40s

Moreover, you should be aware that the claimed bandwidth may only apply to repetitive signals. It's a good idea to see a teardown of the device and the results of performance tests before believing any claims made by the manufacturer.

The following users thanked this post: I wanted a rude username

Offline shakalnokturn

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 07:36:09 am »
Thanks for explaining.
I get the idea but find it a little confusing using "bandwidth" for the maximum single-shot frequency that can be displayed where front-end bandwidth, real time sample rate and equivalent time sampling could be considered separately. (When known of course...)
Even if in most use cases the real time sample rate will be the limiting factor, equivalent time can have it's use if the front-end bandwidth is sufficient for the job.

Online tunkTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2021, 02:20:36 pm »
Starting to show up at aliexpress from around 95us$.

Offline edsjac

• Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2021, 01:30:42 pm »
They claim that the sample rate is 500 MSa/s, but...

All the cheap Chinese oscilloscope uses an ADC based on AD9288. In the best case, if the design was well-made, it uses the two ADC channels to get 200 MSa/s (when one oscilloscope input is enabled). If you use both two oscilloscope inputs, the real sample rate is 100 MSa/s (considering that the ADC is not overclocked).
By the photo of the PCB, it looks like that they have erased the ADC identification. Moreover, none of the components has identification on the PCB.
In the video review, the auto function seems to don't work properly, it takes almost 10s (at time 8m08s).

Online pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2021, 03:22:59 pm »
I see in the picture of the pcb that they used the same F1C100s that is used in the FNIRSI-1013D. For the FPGA on the other hand they used a lattice chip.
Probably similar to the cyclone iv and most likely not capable of doing 500Ms/s on a parallel bus. The layout near, what is most likely the adc chip, is pointing in the direction of the AD9288 mentioned in the previous post. Two 8 bit lanes to support the two ADC's in the chip.

The analog front end looks a bit more complex then the one in the FNIRSI. Would be interesting to see the actual differences in a schematic drawing.

Sample rate of this one will be at most the 100Ms/s with both channels enabled, where the FNIRSI has 200Ms/s since it uses two of these ADC chips.

Offline visenri

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2021, 07:01:43 pm »
This DSO seems to be manufactured by the same company of the DSO1511E.

Both the software and hardware are very similar. It seems to be the 2 version channel of that device.

I own a DSO1511E, and I would have bought a two channel version if they had it back then.

I am quite satisfied with the 1 channel version:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dso1511e-review/

This new one has 2 channels, X-Y mode, multiple waveform signal generator and better button layout / usability than the 1 channel version.
The only downside seems to be that it doesn't have the reference waveform function and it is bigger than it's predecessor.

It's so tempting, that maybe I will buy it too  ;).

The following users thanked this post: AndrewBCN

Offline labeanchik

« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2021, 06:53:25 pm »
I recently received dso2512g.
But the board is a new revision. 9.1
The FPGA was updated and the inscriptions were polished in the same way.

Offline AndrewBCN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2021, 03:13:34 am »
Hello,
I can see it has an SD card socket on the main board. So it should be possible to boot a small f1c100s Linux distribution, either from the SD card or through the USB OTG connector, to hack this little scope or at least explore its hardware and on-board firmware.
I have compiled a small Linux distribution using Buildroot for the f1c100s / f1c200s, in case anybody is interested.

Offline fabiodl

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 12:13:36 am »
The 1 channel version claimed that applying 400 V even if the probe is set in x10, won't fry it.
Is the claim still true for the two channels version?

Offline Veton

« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2022, 06:30:59 pm »
I received it with a broken screen. Does anyone know what type of screen to order for replacement?
Thanks

Online tunkTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #15 on: March 03, 2022, 06:53:17 pm »
If bought on eBay, document it, contact the seller and ask for a refund.
Never used Aliexpress but I think they have a similar mechanism.

Offline Veton

« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2022, 09:00:27 am »
I did and I received refund, but the unit remained... So, I need screen to use. :-+

Offline markl17@gmail.com

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2022, 11:57:16 am »
Hi where do you have your compiled version I am using it. When I gave it 117mhz it reported 17mhhz and suddenly the other channel came to life as though getting some sort of noise but if I plug in both signals I get both channels at 17mhz sine wave

Offline besauk

• Contributor
« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2022, 04:04:14 am »
It's on Taobao for 500 RMB.

Supereyes also lists it, but at double the price (and almost sold out) ... they are the "Russian supplier" that Mikhail Shevchenko corrected on the screen size ... their listing page has his discussion with them, as well as the Russian manual.

I know this thread is a little old, but I wanted to post my real life results with the 2512g.  It is indeed 200 MS/s with one channel, and 100 MS/s for 2 channels.  This was tested on channel two, where aliasing occurred at anything above 50 MHz, clear as day.  As to the front-end bandwidth, I measured the -3dB point at 54 MHz on channel one, and just a hair higher on channel two (around 56 MHz - keep in mind that was measured with the aliased signal).  The interpolation scheme gives jittery results even at 1/10 the sample rate.  The internal clock wasn't horrible (within 2.5 ppm), although it did meander a bit between 2 and 2.5 ppm, perhaps as internal temperatures rose during use.  This was measured by noting where aliasing occurred at low sweep speeds.  Measurements, in particular RMS and Vpp got very wonky at high frequencies.  The display would be correct, but the measurement value would change significantly based on the scale used (not clipping or anything silly like that).

Given the quirks, I would rate this scope as usable up to about 25 MHz.  It could be used for higher frequencies it you are extremely careful and know the limitations, but really nothing above 50 MHz in one channel.

To sum up, the specs are clearly bogus - but for 85 bucks and its form factor, not all bad - again, if you keep in mind the limitations.

The following users thanked this post: edavid, fabiodl, DaneLaw

Offline Evi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2022, 07:15:16 am »
Got the ZEEWELL V9.14 yesterday.
I've never seen a more convenient and functional handheld.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 08:21:26 am by Evi »

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2022, 04:07:30 am »
Got the ZEEWELL V9.14 yesterday. ...

The company name appears to be ZEEWEII:

https://www.aliexpress.com/store/1101600990

Offline visenri

• Contributor
« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2022, 11:28:39 pm »

I own a DSO1511E, and I would have bought a two channel version if they had it back then.

I am quite satisfied with the 1 channel version:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/dso1511e-review/

This new one has 2 channels, X-Y mode, multiple waveform signal generator and better button layout / usability than the 1 channel version.
The only downside seems to be that it doesn't have the reference waveform function and it is bigger than it's predecessor.

It's so tempting, that maybe I will buy it too  ;).
I was still in this situation until recently, I bought the 1 channel version, and have been using it a lot more than my Rigol (4 channel)!
I'ts all about the form factor and space used in the test bench.

Some days ago I just could not resist it anymore and ordered 2 DSO2512G, one for my workplace and another one for home use.

Today I received them and for now I am very satisfied with the device.

About the reference waveform: It is not documented, but it is there, just long press "F1".
I found it by accident and could not figure it out until later (after testing all combinations with power and menu, it was just a single key long press |O).
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 12:30:53 am by visenri »

The following users thanked this post: AceyTech

Offline visenri

• Contributor
« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2022, 11:51:45 pm »
About changes over the old model:

Many things remain the same:
  • Device returns to run mode and resets the offset position when you review the saved images.
  • It does not save the reference waveform(s) when saving images.
  • It does not ask for confirmation for deleting images.
  • In normal mode, if you stop with a non periodic signal, it keeps waiting for a new trigger and it is not really stopped until then, and current waveform can't be moved (For these cases, the single trigger mode works correctly, it's just annoying, because sometimes it is easier to capture the signal by pressing repeatedly the Start/stop) -> Not a big issue with the new dedicated button for single trigger.

But others have improved:
  • Some degree of variable waveform position speed, both in X and Y (sadly not present for cursors or trigger level).
  • More buttons and labeling the 2nd function makes a big difference for usability (But it will take time to get used to, coming from the single channel version)

FW version in my device:1.2.8C

The following users thanked this post: REWEREWE

Offline ttsiodras

• Artifacts of my free time programming
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2022, 10:49:07 am »
Adrian Black (of Adrian's Digital Basement) has just reviewed the smaller brother of this scope - the single channel one - and he was very positive about it.

I searched for reviews, saw the Youtube video suggested here, and decided based on the comments from you guys that this is indeed a sweet spot in handheld scopes.
Always wanted one, so I just logged in Ali and ordered one from the official store.

They also have a sale currently, giving back 10% - so I paid 97E (price includes shipping).
It will arrive in approx 1 month, at which point I will report on my experiences with the scope.

Offline ttsiodras

• Artifacts of my free time programming
« Reply #24 on: November 16, 2022, 06:37:47 pm »
It arrived to the NL in 10 days instead of the estimated one month! Good :-)

Some pictures:

Since I don't have a signal generator, I programmed a Raspberry PI PICO's HW state machines (using the pio_blink example) to emit 5.2MHz on GPIO0 ...

...and then, 21MHz:

I doubt I will need to go that high in my tinkering, but it's good to know I can see something from a 21MHz signal.

I plan to use more GPIO pins and an R/2R ladder to generate an analog custom waveform driven with the very nice Pico's HW state machines.
Will update here when I do.

The following users thanked this post: ledtester

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf