Author Topic: New Agilent Oscilloscopes  (Read 24056 times)

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
New Agilent Oscilloscopes
« on: January 29, 2011, 12:19:44 pm »
What to do with your old scope:

[youtube]ChQw07k8GbI[/youtube]

And win one of 20 new scopes:
http://64.78.15.198/Agilent/XSeries/Opt-In/XSeries_OptIn_ENG.asp?source=AM_video

http://www.facebook.com/agilent.scopes

Dave.

Offline Chasm

• Regular Contributor
Re: New Agilent Oscilloscopes
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2011, 12:51:57 pm »
So who something fitting to trash?
Say something out the Infiniium Series. :P

But this may be something for the guy who bought the defective HP scope.

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2011, 01:38:09 pm »
But this may be something for the guy who bought the defective HP scope.
Hmm, wasn't he a hobbyist? And you had to live in the right country, too. http://64.78.15.198/Agilent/XSeries/Opt-In/TandC.htm (emphasis by me):

This sweepstakes is open only to entrants who are employed by a commercial end-user and are users of an oscilloscope, and who are legal residents of the United States (excluding New York and Florida), Canada (excluding the Province of Quebec), Mexico, Brazil, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand and China.
I delete PMs unread. If you have something to say, say it in public.
For all else: Profile->[Modify Profile]Buddies/Ignore List->Edit Ignore List

Offline Chasm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2011, 02:28:06 pm »
That's what I get for not reading everything just because Dave posted it.

Offline Mechatrommer

• Super Contributor
  • reassessing directives...
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2011, 03:06:11 pm »
good! i'm in Malaysia, but...

Government agencies and institutions, and their employees, are not eligible to participate or receive prizes, nor are individuals who appear on the U.S. Government Department of Treasury’s Specially Designated Nationals List...
hmm. should i use my secret "kong-foo" on this? or anyone with better "kong-foo"?
Nature: Evolution and the Illusion of Randomness (Stephen L. Talbott): Its now indisputable that... organisms “expertise” contextualizes its genome, and its nonsense to say that these powers are under the control of the genome being contextualized - Barbara McClintock

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2011, 03:28:17 pm »
That's what I get for not reading everything just because Dave posted it.

I don't think it is a clever move by Agilent.

My employer forbids employees to use the name of the company for anything outside of work. Sweepstakes are even mentioned explicitly as an example in the rules. It has something to do with not being an official representative of the company, stock laws, corporate identity, avoiding corruption (not getting a personal advantage, favor, goods by using the company name), and whatnot.

Offline Chasm

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2011, 04:24:22 pm »
I don't think it is a clever move by Agilent.

I don't think so either. Companies should have better things to do.
Well, maybe it is a nice way to get around the problem of directly destroying your competitors products. Advertisement rules and all of that.

But then I still think it would be fun to junk one of their top line scopes to enter the contest, of course not without pushing the video really hard on various sites. :D

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2011, 06:27:36 pm »
But then I still think it would be fun to junk one of their top line scopes to enter the contest, of course not without pushing the video really hard on various sites. :D

If I am not mistaken, they have an old HP (now Agilent) and a low-end (Rigol branded as an) Agilent o'scope in the video. They didn't dare to trash one of their top-of-the-line scopes. Wimps  :)

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2011, 09:45:17 pm »
This sweepstakes is open only to entrants who are employed by a commercial end-user and are users of an oscilloscope, and who are legal residents of the United States (excluding New York and Florida), Canada (excluding the Province of Quebec), Mexico, Brazil, Japan, South Korea, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Singapore, Malaysia, Australia, New Zealand and China.

I missed that. That really sucks.

Dave.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2011, 10:11:58 pm »
Oops, details of the new Agilent scopes have leaked before the date, onto Agilent's own facebook page no less!

Dave.

Offline Ernie Milko

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2011, 10:53:42 pm »
There is talk on the hp/Agilent yahoo group that Agilent have been badge-engineering Rigols.

Thing ain't what they used to be........................

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2011, 11:00:44 pm »
There is talk on the hp/Agilent yahoo group that Agilent have been badge-engineering Rigols.

Yes, the current and older low end Agilents were re-badges Rigols. But I can tell you that the new Agilent low end scopes are fully designed and engineered in-house by Agilent.

Dave.

Offline tyblu

• Frequent Contributor
    • blog.tyblu.ca
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2011, 01:07:06 am »
Well, maybe it is a nice way to get around the problem of directly destroying your competitors products. Advertisement rules and all of that.

It doesn't actually say you have to wreck it -- just use it "differently". The bird-feeder, for example, wouldn't do anything to it in the short term...
Tyler Lucas, electronics hobbyist

Offline TopherTheME

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2011, 05:39:54 am »

Yes, the current and older low end Agilents were re-badges Rigols. But I can tell you that the new Agilent low end scopes are fully designed and engineered in-house by Agilent.

Dave.

I found this when I took the shielding off of my Agilent DSO3102A  :o

Don't blame me. I'm the mechanical engineer.

alm

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2011, 09:15:17 am »
Did you really have to post a 4.4MB picture that's too large for most browser windows to show that?

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2011, 10:22:57 am »
I found this when I took the shielding off of my Agilent DSO3102A  :o

Yes, we know that. We know that for ages. Why do you show us an oscilloscope that Agilent has already discontinued, when Dave is talking about
new Agilent low end scopes

Discontinued ain't new.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2011, 10:48:25 am »

Yes, we know that. We know that for ages. Why do you show us an oscilloscope that Agilent has already discontinued, when Dave is talking about

Agilent have been rebadging Rigol since the original Rigol 5000 series scope, gotta be a good 5 years now.
But this new series coming out in Feb is different, Agilent are taking it all back in-house which is exciting to see.
I presume they will simply discontinue all the older Rigol models.

Dave.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2011, 11:01:33 am »
The new series.

Some current series compared, Rigol, non-Rigol designs vs Tek:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/index.php?topic=1773.msg24631#msg24631

« Last Edit: January 30, 2011, 11:23:06 am by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2011, 11:05:14 am »
From the features in that leaked PDF, it looks like they're basically pushing some of the 5000/6000 hardware features down the range now they've recouped the development costs on the custom silicon.
My bet is like the existing models there will be lots of expensive 'options' which are basically paying to enable hardware you already own.
Let's hope someone hacks it - pity it's not going to be as simple as the hack on the Tek eeprom feature modules - the current models store license info in the battery backed SRAM.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Bored@Work

• Super Contributor
« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2011, 11:32:41 am »
My bet is like the existing models there will be lots of expensive 'options' which are basically paying to enable hardware you already own.
Like the leaked PDF says:
DO MORE with the power of up to 4 instruments in 1:
oscilloscope, logic timing analyzer (optional), protocol
analyzer (optional) and WaveGen built-in
function generator (optional).

GET MORE investment pro-
tection with the industry’s
only fully-upgradeable
scope, including bandwidth.

All additional features are optional, i.e. pay extra. And the bandwidth is also "upgradeable". It will be interesting to see if the bandwidth upgrade is hardware or software.

Offline TopherTheME

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2011, 05:49:04 pm »

Discontinued ain't new.

Yes, I knew this well before I bought the scope as well. I was just somewhat entertained by the fact that it looked like Rigol tried to sneak their name onto the scope. The one label on the scope that doesn't say Agilent is in an obscure place where one would never look unless servicing the unit (i.e. compared to a corner or the bottom of a PCB).
Don't blame me. I'm the mechanical engineer.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2011, 01:13:37 am »
All additional features are optional, i.e. pay extra. And the bandwidth is also "upgradeable". It will be interesting to see if the bandwidth upgrade is hardware or software.
It will be software - upgradeable BW is new for Agilent AFAIK, but on the 5000 and 6000 series you had to pay to enable memory you already owned. I have less of a problem paying to enable more software functions but just enabling RAM is taking the piss.
Their software pricing is a bit OTT though - you can buy a LeCroy LogicStudio for less then the cost of the serial decode option on the MSO6000

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2011, 03:18:05 am »

Everything is a software based option.
And obviously if you buy the logic analyzer module they will ship you the probes.

Dave.

Offline Rossco

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 05:40:26 pm »
The new Agilent DSOX/MSOX scopes are nice. I think the new function generator option is not worth paying for. The 3000 function generator option is listed at $215 dollars more on the 3000 series compared to the 2000 series. One can get a reasonable function generator for cheaper that does more waveforms for a lower price. In addition if the scope was to fail and the repair isn’t worth the cost to do then you wouldn’t be toasting a function generator as well. There is my two cents.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2011, 09:52:27 pm »
I agree the function generator is poor value, and they are clearly price gouging on the 3000 model.
But you can't deny the convenience of it though, and educational customers will get it for free anyway.

Dave.

Offline shadowless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2011, 12:45:09 am »
I am going to pull the trigger on the 2000x scope. Going to get a 70mhz 4 channel model.

Just wondering if it would be better to pay 300 more for a 100mhz version or 700 more for the 8 digital channels? 

Any advice?

Offline tnt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2011, 05:41:31 am »
Highly depend on what you want to do with it ...

If you're going to work a lot with digital stuff on which you only need to see the logic levels, or on some stuff (either analog or digital fast enough) where you want to see signal integrity or such.

Offline _Sin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2011, 09:24:47 am »
Highly depend on what you want to do with it ...

If you're going to work a lot with digital stuff on which you only need to see the logic levels, or on some stuff (either analog or digital fast enough) where you want to see signal integrity or such.

Given that the option prices don't look much different to the difference in prices between the respective versions of scope, it might make more sense to buy the lower-bandwidth scope and pay for the upgrade. That way you get the extra probes, which might come in handy (or the lower-spec ones could be resold to get back some of the money).

Programmer with a soldering iron - fear me.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2011, 10:45:26 am »
I am going to pull the trigger on the 2000x scope. Going to get a 70mhz 4 channel model.

Just wondering if it would be better to pay 300 more for a 100mhz version or 700 more for the 8 digital channels? 

Any advice?
Assuming the upgrades are the same price later as at the time of purchase. I suggest starting with the basic model and seeing what you find you need. Having said that there may be some scope for haggling with the dealer to throw in some discounted upgrades to get the sale, if you drop some hints that you're looking at the competition as well... 

Offline shadowless

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2011, 02:16:14 pm »
Thanks for the great advice. Might be getting a good discount on the 2004A and 2014A model so thinking about which one as a starter.  30mhz bandwidth doesn't seems a big difference. I don't do stuff that require high bandwidth at the moment but never know when i will need them. Started with a single channel portable scope and realised that i need more channels for my digital+analogue signal tuning/phasing.

I suppose if 4 channel is insufficient at least i still have the option of adding digital channel later to free the analogue channels up.

One thing i never heard mention much is the start up timing of the scope, some pre-production scope seems to take 12mins to boot up and was suppose to reduce to 4mins, isn't that long compare to other scopes?

Offline tnt

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #30 on: May 02, 2011, 02:19:58 pm »
4 min ??? No way.

My 3000X takes 30-45 sec to boot.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf