Author Topic: New bench scope - Fnirsi 1014D, 7", 1GSa/s  (Read 83115 times)

Offline techcornertv

Re: New bench scope - Fnirsi 1014D, 7", 1GSa/s
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2021, 09:07:10 am »
Hey Guys,

This review was made by me, I tried to give the idea that this is a very limited oscilloscope in the video,
Bare in mind that im hobbyist, not a profissional, my degree  in system computing, not electronics, but I'll try to sum the pros and cons:

Pros:
- Extremely easy to use
- Small size and big screen (for the size)
- Already includes a function generator (14 functions)
- Very cheap, mine with delivery costed 155€ (~ $185)
- It seemed fairly accurate and fast analysing signals
- The function generator BNC connector is on the front
- Very nice display, very sharp and the information  (vpp, vavg, etc) is very visible, not like in my Rigol MSO2102A where it is shown in very small letters (it has other funcionalities)
- The cursors respond very fast and a very intuitive to use
- It has FFT function included

Cons:
- It hasn't have an ground/earth connector
- it's powered by USB (5V 2A)
- There is a some problem when using the probes related with the ground that has to be the same... you might burn the motherboard if its not the same (warning on first page of the manual)
- The function generator has very low frequencies maximum, you can get max 10Mhz in sine wave
- It is very limited on the function available, an example is no math function of any kind
- I forgot to say this in the video but, you don't have the normal square wave connector for callibrating, you have to connect the aligator to bnc cable to the function generator an then somehow use in the probe to be able to calibrate the probe

My conclusion:
As always, if you're making an informed purchase, aware of the cons and pros, I believe this is a very good purchase for people starting in electronics, hobbyist like me or even work tasks do not that require advanced function in a oscilloscope. To be honest, I would't exchange my rigol for this, not in a million years, but I enjoyed VERY MUCH working with it.

You just need to know what you're buying.... it is a awesome buy if you know what you're getting, it will do the work, but forget fancy features.

I didn't open the oscilloscope in the review, because I don't want to pass the ideia that I know more than I really know, and to be honest I'm not qualified to analyse a motherboard and say if it is good or not. And also, since Im giving this unit to a channel subscriber, I didn't want to compromise the warranty.

Cheers,
Hugo Ferreira
« Last Edit: April 19, 2021, 09:34:31 am by techcornertv »

The following users thanked this post: tunk, Pilatus

Offline techcornertv

« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2021, 09:10:01 am »
It say it can up to 400V with 10x probe mode... didn't tested.

Offline techcornertv

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2021, 09:25:17 am »
i have a sneaking suspicion the video may have been sped up in post-production. i could be wrong, but some of the hand movements and multiple presses of buttons seems unnaturally quick.

on the plus side, elements of the UI seem refreshingly new, other manufacturers could possibly uplift some of the design cues. and even if the scope only had a 'true' bandwidth of 20MHz, at the right price-point (sub-$100us) it could be a real winner. notice the use of an external plug-pack for power.

cheers,
rob   :-)

Hello!

I made the review and I would gladdy send the original recording mp4 for your analysis or anyone else for that matter, just private me your e-mail address and will send by WeTransfer all the raw footage.
Nothing was speed up, it is really fast moving the cursor... it blew my mind away.... to move the cursors in my rigol is a nightmare (well a little over dramatic here) but in that small oscilloscope it is fast
and intuitive. Those direction keys really help. Anyway, this is just my feedback...

Cheers,
Hugo Ferreira

Offline firepower

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2021, 06:18:29 am »
Hugo, it was regards marketing video not your review video being 2x speed.
https://youtu.be/LuBntXGnRZ0
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 06:17:55 am by firepower »

Offline firepower

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2021, 06:21:43 am »
Without serial / I2C decoders, I rather pay extra and get the Hantek models.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2021, 01:44:52 pm by firepower »

Offline techcornertv

« Reply #30 on: April 24, 2021, 08:13:53 pm »
Hugo, it was regards marketing video not your review video being 2x speed.

Ooopss... sorry! My bad... :)

Offline techcornertv

« Reply #31 on: May 12, 2021, 09:51:39 pm »
If someone is interested in a unit of this scope, here it is the video for the giveaway/sweepstake:

An the page for enter in the giveaway and with the rules:

https://techcorner.tv/giveaways/fnirsi-1014d-digital-oscilloscope-giveaway/

Best of luck! 🤞
Hugo

Offline tunkTopic starter

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2021, 03:41:52 pm »
Manual and firmware are now on Fnirsi's homepage: http://www.fnirsi.cn/support

The following users thanked this post: dmitrkov

Offline dmitrkov

• Contributor
« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2021, 05:01:44 pm »
After updating to this firmware, the image was shifted to the left
1222679-0" alt="" class="bbc_img" />

Rolled back to the old version...

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2021, 03:54:29 pm »
I agree with others here, it looks very much like the 1013D. The ground problem lies in how they did the analog in the 1013D and probably the same for this one. For the 1013D no problem since it works from the battery, but one should pay attention when connected to a usb port or power supply.

The only interesting extra is the signal generator. I wonder how they implemented that. Did they use the fpga that scans the inputs for it or is there another chip. The same goes for the knobs and the buttons. By looking at the pcb picture near the top left there is an other chip with lots of pins. Do not see a separate cable for a touch panel so probably no touch. (Did not look at the specs or the full review video's so could be wrong)

The sd socket is most likely for storage of the signal and image storage, just like in the 1013D. On the pcb it looks like the same three memory chips. One flash for the f1c100s, one flash for the fpga and one special chip for the settings. By the looks of it they did improve on shielding by putting a can over, what I assume is, the power supply section.

Checking out the firmware could be a fun project, but for now still struggling with the one of the 1013D |O

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2021, 06:34:17 pm »
Another review:

Offline Crjbroker

« Reply #36 on: June 01, 2021, 12:16:34 pm »
Hello every body,

I have bought a unit of the 1014D and it has come up with a problem that channel 1 does not measure DC voltage. It's funny because if it's a waveform signal it works fine.
When measuring a DC signal it makes a voltage spike and then returns to zero.
If you then touch the dough with the tip, it makes a negative peak and returns to zero again. It is as if it has a condenser effect.

Does anyone think of what the problem could be?
This only happens on channel 1. Channel 2 works perfectly.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: June 01, 2021, 12:23:05 pm »
Does anyone think of what the problem could be?

You have AC coupling mode selected on that channel, it should be DC.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #38 on: June 02, 2021, 09:26:05 pm »
Second part of learnelectronics video above, including a teardown: https://youtu.be/T_W1ozehOpg
And a Q&A session from TechCornerTV: https://youtu.be/6ACe_F2poLw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #39 on: June 13, 2021, 06:38:54 pm »
A repair video, including close up of the front end (at 3:28)(use autogenerated English subtitles if you don't understand Portuguese):

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2021, 05:13:29 pm »
I have bought a unit of the 1014D and it has come up with a problem that channel 1 does not measure DC voltage.

Could look like the same problem that was fixed in the video above.

Offline rpa

« Reply #41 on: July 10, 2021, 09:28:34 pm »
I bought recently the FNIRSI 1014D and I am fairly pleased with it for the price I paid, around 140€ with shipping. Quite cheap for such a device. It's easy to use and one of its attractions to me is the fact you can power it from a common 5V smartphone powerbank, making it ungrounded. It has its flaws and limitations though, most already stated here but to me the most restricting is the 50mV limit.

Updated the firmware with the latest one available on FNIRSI's site and have been doing some tests with it with various sources, including the internal signal generator. Bear in mind I'm a begginer enthusiast in electronics, still learning. I learnt how to use a CRT oscilloscope in University Electronics classes 25 years ago so I do understand the basics of electricity and electronics, been picking the subject again lately (I work in IT). I also have a Hantek DSO5202D, it's a fairly decent oscilloscope and it has a 16ch logic analyzer I was interested on.

I think I found a couple bugs in the latest firmware, already sent an email to FNIRSI detailing them and how to reproduce them.

Both bugs happen in both channels and are caused when you press the trigger MODE button to change the trigger type, each bug depends on some conditions. The bugs are:

- This is independent of having just one or both channels active. If the vertical sensitivity (V/div) is different from 1V in 1x mode or 10V on 10x mode and you press MODE, the DIV parameter shown on the channel settings on top of the screen always goes back to 1V or 10V respectively and the voltage measurements start showing wrong values; the wave display usually stays the same size, but might disappear if the set V/div is higher than 1V or 10V respectively.

- If you only have 1 channel active and the coupling of the channel was set to AC and you press MODE, it always changes to DC on the channel settings on top of the screen and it seems it always changes to DC coupling even if you press MODE twice to go back to Auto triggering (it starts to show the DC component of the signal instead of only the AC component). It does not happen if both channels are active!

Other than that, it seems a somewhat capable device for the price for a hobbyist or a begginer.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2021, 11:48:08 pm by rpa »

Offline rpa

« Reply #42 on: August 03, 2021, 04:36:04 pm »
Just a heads up, FNIRSI did respond to my email about a week after I posted my last message, and sent me an updated firmware in the form of 2 slightly different firmware files. Sorry for not reporting this earlier but I just didn't have the time and mind, due to other stuff going on in my life, and I also didn't know if they wanted the firmwares made available generally. The files are now available in their suport page at their site.

The reason for 2 files is that the 1st batch of the 1014D use a different LCD and that's why some have experienced displaced images. I tried the 1st firmware and it displaced the image down and to the right, so it's probably the right one for those which had the displacement up and left. The other one worked fine with my unit. The 2 bugs I mentioned here were fixed and it works just fine now.

So, a good and fast response from them, kudos.

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #43 on: August 11, 2021, 11:23:11 am »
Received this scope yesterday as a gift from a forum member who likes my work on the FNIRSI-1013D :)

I can say that they improved on some of the flaws found in the FNIRSI-1013D, but is uses basically the same hardware.

Could not resist and had to open it up. Made a disappointing discovery. There is no integrated DAC for the function generator. It is 8 digital outputs from the FPGA into a resistor network, most likely R-2R. See the attached photos.

For the knobs and push buttons they use a GD32E230, so most likely no hacking of that part of the system.

The PCB is nice though. Gold plated on parts of it.

Offline dmitrkov

• Contributor
« Reply #44 on: August 12, 2021, 05:30:46 am »
The support site has a new firmware from 08/08/2021

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2021, 09:18:05 am »
Was wondering if the 1014D has the same issue as the 1013D with the images from the SD card. It does. See the attached images. Not sure if it is my linux mint or the actual images but my guess is the latter.

And bugs, of course not :-DD

When connected via USB with an image from the SD card open on the computer all one has to do is press the menu button and the change is very big you get what you see in the second and third image.

Have not tried to load the new firmware dmitrkov pointed to.

Offline dmitrkov

• Contributor
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2021, 04:05:47 pm »
Yes, the firmware has a lot of bugs.  :--  I wrote about some mistakes to the seller and after a long  :palm: time they fixed them. It may be worth writing about this error to the seller.

P.S. on the official support site, the firmware for this oscilloscope was completely removed ... :-//

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2021, 04:30:55 pm »
P.S. on the official support site, the firmware for this oscilloscope was completely removed ... :-//

I noticed that too. Wanted to download them today, but nothing there |O

For the 1013D I found out that it can be updated with the same procedure. It needs one of these files on the SD card: "UTX-1013.bin", "FSI-1013.bin", "DAN-1013.bin" or "YPK-1013.bin".
These names are in the function I wrote about in the 1013 thread, were at the end of the function, if anything goes wrong it zero's the first 1000 bytes of the program location in the flash. As it makes use of the SD card code it will become clearer once I reversed that.

Offline dmitrkov

• Contributor
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2021, 04:49:25 pm »
For the 1013D I found out that it can be updated with the same procedure. It needs one of these files on the SD card: "UTX-1013.bin", "FSI-1013.bin", "DAN-1013.bin" or "YPK-1013.bin".
I also thought to try with the file name "FSI-1013.bin", but there was not enough time. You have confirmed my assumptions.

Here are collected all the firmware that I have at the moment, for 1014D https://1drv.ms/u/s!Av-Riptwsak2ivB9XUOHBWbRCGIOzA?e=VU2MfD
I hope FNIRSI will not mind, since these firmware were already freely available

The following users thanked this post: pcprogrammer

Offline thirteeneast

« Reply #49 on: August 24, 2021, 01:08:56 pm »
Too summarize, for anyone reading this "ITS GARBAGE, I WOULD BUY IT WITH YOUR MONEY!!!"

KEEP CLEAR OF IT.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf