Author Topic: New DMM vs high-end older ones  (Read 39255 times)

Offline GeekPriestTopic starter

• Contributor
Re: New DMM vs high-end older ones
« Reply #75 on: September 02, 2015, 03:33:46 pm »
[
Congratulations, you got an absolute bargain on your DM-820A. However, it is not the BM869S twin... Greenlee's DM-860A is the one.

It is confusing, but the DM-820A has 10k counts while the others have 50k and go up to 500k in hi res mode.

Thanks for the clarification. I couldn't find a table making the direct comparison between model numbers in the two lineups. Looks like the Greenlee DM-820a is the same as the Brymen BM-827s, http://brymen.eu/shop/bm827s/ .

I rarely have need (at least at present) for resolution at the 50k+ level, so this should do what I need.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2015, 04:09:41 pm by GeekPriest »

Offline Robomeds

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #76 on: September 02, 2015, 06:27:09 pm »
[
Congratulations, you got an absolute bargain on your DM-820A. However, it is not the BM869S twin... Greenlee's DM-860A is the one.

It is confusing, but the DM-820A has 10k counts while the others have 50k and go up to 500k in hi res mode.

Thanks for the clarification. I couldn't find a table making the direct comparison between model numbers in the two lineups. Looks like the Greenlee DM-820a is the same as the Brymen BM-827s, http://brymen.eu/shop/bm827s/ .

I rarely have need (at least at present) for resolution at the 50k+ level, so this should do what I need.

$50 for the meter you got is a great deal.  I would have jumped on that had I seen it... and I'm trying to downsize :D

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: September 02, 2015, 11:07:10 pm »
10,000 count on voltage and frequency only. 6,000 count on mV and other functions

• Contributor
« Reply #78 on: September 03, 2015, 01:10:47 am »

$50 for the meter you got is a great deal.  I would have jumped on that had I seen it... and I'm trying to downsize :D

Well, the actual price was $65, but the seller didn't include some other random hardware (a tool charger) listed in the ad. So I negotiated an additional adjustment. Even at $65, it was a good deal.

The Greenlee is definitely a big meter, but my middle-aged eyes appreciate the large display.

• Contributor
« Reply #79 on: September 03, 2015, 02:22:05 am »
Well, attempt #1 to fix the non-working backlight and continuity buzzer on a Fluke 77-iv was a failure. Try try again.

Got any advice, mrmodemhead?

Offline retiredcaps

• Super Contributor
« Reply #80 on: September 03, 2015, 03:18:45 am »
Well, attempt #1 to fix the non-working backlight and continuity buzzer on a Fluke 77-iv was a failure. Try try again.

Got any advice, mrmodemhead?
I suggest you start a new thread for this 77IV repair effort and that you include some clear focused pictures of both sides of the pcb.  That way, it will get the correct people looking at it due to the subject header.

In addition, tell us what works and what you have done so far.

• Contributor

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #82 on: September 19, 2015, 02:07:33 am »
I looked around on the forum for a dedicated 80 series thread but was unable to find one so for now I will leave this here.

Recently I acquired a Fluke 83 which is noted earlier in this thread and I have a question in regards to the continuity piezo which from my tests is activated at 70 ohms and then deactivated once the reading rises above 196 ohms when set to auto or low range, I am yet to document the continuity thresholds in other ranges which do vary according to the range selection.

Everything on this particular meter seems to be working fine but when in resistance mode and the min-max button is selected the piezo will permanently activate in either min, max or average until the probes are shorted, so the continuity mode is inverted. On a couple of other meters that I have such as the Fluke 187, 189 and an old Metex M-3650CR whilst in continuity mode if the min-max is set to min then the continuity piezo will be off until a momentary short of the probes is applied which will permanently latch the piezo until the unit is manually reset, this is a handy feature for the type of work that I am involved with although I suspect that most users would never operate the meter in this manner.

Other meters that cannot latch the piezo whist in continuity mode with minimum selected and a momentary contact applied are UT-70D, 83, 117 and U1272A, these are the only meters that I have tested, I don't think the 179 did it either but it's not at hand to confirm.

Years ago I made up a little box with a latching relay, 9 volt battery and a piezo buzzer for testing as one example that a gate controller received a momentary contact from an access control system, this was handy whereby we would not have to walk out to the gate to visually inspect a meter and could hear the buzzer from a distance to know that the unit was triggered, we also used it for rudimentary cable testing on occasion but now have dedicated equipment for these applications, the little box went missing so I think that one of the boys left it somewhere and we have been using certain meters to do the same thing.

So in summary if anyone else has a Fluke 83 can you put it in ohms mode and press min-max and let me know if your continuity buzzer activates immediately with the probes open even though the continuity symbol is not displayed, mine does and it seems a bit strange.   

Many Thanks

Muttley

« Last Edit: September 19, 2015, 03:07:11 am by Muttley Snickers »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #83 on: September 19, 2015, 11:24:04 am »
I don't think the 179 did it either but it's not at hand to confirm.
Muttley, unfortunately I do not have a Fluke 83, but my 179 operates as you remember - i.e., when Min/Max is on Min position, the buzzer beeps only while the probes are shorted. No continuous beep happens. 
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline ModemHead

• Frequent Contributor
  • No user-serviceable parts inside.
    • Mr. ModemHead
« Reply #84 on: September 19, 2015, 12:00:59 pm »
So in summary if anyone else has a Fluke 83 can you put it in ohms mode and press min-max and let me know if your continuity buzzer activates immediately with the probes open even though the continuity symbol is not displayed, mine does and it seems a bit strange.
Every 80-series I and series III meter I have here (83-I, 87-I, 83-III, 87-III) does exactly that.  There is some non-zero threshold for turning the beeper off, I noted that 100 ohms will silence it while in the 400 ohm range.

On the other hand, my 87-V does not, engaging min-max in continuity mode does not cancel the continuity mode or activate the beeper, it just displays the min and max ohms values.

Offline KGB

• Contributor
« Reply #85 on: September 19, 2015, 05:11:16 pm »
There is nothing strange. In MIN / MAX (RECORD) mode (which also means a fixed range) when overload (OL) occurs, the meter beeps. In all modes, volts-, current-, diode-, capacitance- and even resistance mode.
Any value is in the measuring range will turning the beeper off, so the zero also.

Cheers.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #86 on: September 20, 2015, 04:17:30 am »
Every 80-series I and series III meter I have here (83-I, 87-I, 83-III, 87-III) does exactly that.  There is some non-zero threshold for turning the beeper off, I noted that 100 ohms will silence it while in the 400 ohm range.

On the other hand, my 87-V does not, engaging min-max in continuity mode does not cancel the continuity mode or activate the beeper, it just displays the min and max ohms values.

Thanks ModemHead, I wasn't sure as no other meter that I can recall does this and as KGB pointed out below it is simply indicating that the meter is Out of Limit or in Over Load which in turn warns the user by way of the piezo, once a DUT is applied it goes away or can be disabled by holding the continuity button on power up to turn off audible alerts. 

There is nothing strange. In MIN / MAX (RECORD) mode (which also means a fixed range) when overload (OL) occurs, the meter beeps. In all modes, volts-, current-, diode-, capacitance- and even resistance mode.
Any value is in the measuring range will turning the beeper off, so the zero also.

Cheers.

Thanks KGB, as I am not familiar with this particular meter and initially I thought that it may have been a fault but after further testing on a number of selections you were correct that it was simply an alert event and nothing to do with the continuity buzzer whatsoever.

Many Thanks

Muttley

« Last Edit: September 20, 2015, 04:23:23 am by Muttley Snickers »

• Contributor
« Reply #87 on: September 22, 2015, 03:08:25 pm »
For specifically what the OP said the meter is going to be used for, my vote would go to a used Fluke-87 [the latest model you can find at whatever your budget will tolerate, a newer 87-V would be ideal].  These meters are bomb-proof, have great battery life, and "just work" for years and years and years, while over those same years, they stay in tolerance [saving you lots of money on calibrations].  ...

Can you keep saving for a few more months, and gather up some more money?  You know what they say about tools:  "Buy high quality and cry once, buy mediocre quality, and cry many times."  Just sayin'...

Right now, I'm working with an Amprobe AM-130 (Brymen something), a Greenlee DM-820A (Brymen BM827s), and a Fluke 77-IV that I repaired.  Both the Amprobe and Fluke have been great to use thus far. The DM-820A is really nice, too, but its large size almost makes it more of a bench meter.

Offline commie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #88 on: September 22, 2015, 04:48:12 pm »
Can someone please clarify something for me regarding the differences between the Greenlee DM860 and the Brymen BM867  multimeters. Both these meters are quite difficult to find in the U.K., it seems however one store is selling the Greenlee DM860 for over £300, whilst the Brymen BM867 is available for under £150 from Ebay.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301480585343?_trksid=p2060353.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #89 on: September 22, 2015, 05:55:02 pm »
Greenlee's DM-860 (or DM-860-C) is a BM859 (check here)
To make things a bit more confusing, Greenlee's DM-860A is a Brymen's BM869, which are more featured and have better specs and features.

Check Wytnucls' nice spreadsheet for specs.

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline commie

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #90 on: September 22, 2015, 08:00:20 pm »
To make things a bit more confusing, Greenlee's DM-860A is a Brymen's BM869, which are more featured and have better specs and features.

Okay, thanks for that, I was actually trying to understand the price differential.Check this out, yet another model variation:
http://www.rapidonline.com/Test-Measurement/GreenLee-DM-860A-Digital-Multimeter-57-4450
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 08:07:26 pm by commie »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
« Reply #91 on: September 23, 2015, 02:34:28 am »
There is another discussion around here that hints the price difference is due to the lifetime warranty of the Greenlee. However, AFAIR Lightages never received a reply from Greenlee about what "lifetime" means to them. It could be lifetime of the equipment, lifetime of the product line, or something else.

The following users thanked this post: Trader

Offline nanofrog

• Super Contributor
« Reply #92 on: September 23, 2015, 04:19:57 pm »

Okay, thanks for that, I was actually trying to understand the price differential.Check this out, yet another model variation:
http://www.rapidonline.com/Test-Measurement/GreenLee-DM-860A-Digital-Multimeter-57-4450
That one is the same as the BM869, which you can get for 145.80 at the time of typing this from TME (here).

Main difference between it and the older BM859, is the newer BM869 got a dual display in place of the single.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf