Author Topic: New EEVblog BM786 Multimeter  (Read 142965 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: New EEVblog BM786 Multimeter
« Reply #450 on: July 05, 2021, 07:32:29 am »
I just had a (very short) look at that other australian distributor:
https://www.cabac.com.au/brands/
And apparently they do not sell Brymen anymore.

Wow, that seems to be the case. That could open up opportunities for me to sell more Brymen products. As Cabac have been the reason why I haven't been able to sell any model that they offered.

There is dozens of Brymens sold by them, but branded Cabac.
Just search for BM869, for instance
I actually went and looked, because I was curious and was hoping that you could get them to give distribution to you (you did more for their brand recognition that all distributors combined, and I think you and people who would want to buy Brymen in Aussie land deserve it) but unfortunately,  no.

I guess they went with Greenlee type of arrangement.
Shame..

Just heard back from Brymen. Yes Cabac are still selling them, so I'm crap out of luck.
It's ridiculous, as I would sell an order of magnitude more meters than they would, buying in 300-500 units lots at a time. But Brymen are ridiculously loyal to their distributors to their own detriment. It's why Brymen meters are relatively hard to obtain.

Offline Per Hansson

• Supporter
« Reply #451 on: July 05, 2021, 08:15:03 am »
It is quite strange, I just noticed that in Sweden the BM789 is sold under the brand name "Elma Instruments" with a price of 2495:- excluding VAT.
Or I can buy the original unbranded model from TME (large warehouse in Poland) for 1631:- excluding VAT, but in standard red color instead of mint green.
Just does not make much sense to me, that price Elma puts it at just makes it irrelevant.
And I see that the only resellers in Sweden that then sell it, i.e. large warehouses they have to sell the Elma variant too...
« Last Edit: July 05, 2021, 08:17:54 am by Per Hansson »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #452 on: July 05, 2021, 08:24:17 am »
It is quite strange, I just noticed that in Sweden the BM789 is sold under the brand name "Elma Instruments" with a price of 2495:- excluding VAT.
Or I can buy the original unbranded model from TME (large warehouse in Poland) for 1631:- excluding VAT, but in standard red color instead of mint green.
Just does not make much sense to me, that price Elma puts it at just makes it irrelevant.
And I see that the only resellers in Sweden that then sell it, i.e. large warehouses they have to sell the Elma variant too...

They probably sell to existing industrial clients, and they don't care what the price is.

Offline Per Hansson

• Supporter
« Reply #453 on: July 05, 2021, 09:01:44 am »
Sure but industrial customers are not stupid either, so then they might choose the Fluke 117 since it is the same price.
Sure it does not have the µA mode, but it comes with the yellow holster that lets you in at any customers factory ;)

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #454 on: July 05, 2021, 09:17:36 am »
Sure but industrial customers are not stupid either, so then they might choose the Fluke 117 since it is the same price.

Industrial customers usually just buy the same thing over and over again, they often don't reevaluate the market.

Offline Per Hansson

• Supporter
« Reply #455 on: July 05, 2021, 09:27:37 am »
Absolutely, but something to keep in mind is that applies mostly to larger companies.
And AFAIK the smaller (one man or just a few employees) employ much more people in total numbers.
I'm just going to use myself as the example here, I bought the Fluke 28-II based off your videos of it about 8 years ago :)

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #456 on: July 05, 2021, 09:34:10 am »
Absolutely, but something to keep in mind is that applies mostly to larger companies.
And AFAIK the smaller (one man or just a few employees) employ much more people in total numbers.

You underestimate the volume of business of those larger companies and the accounts they have in place. It's not just about the one multimeter. Once you have an account set up at a large company like this you tend to buy everything through them regardless of price, because it's just too costing in time and paperwork to approve another suppplier.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #457 on: July 16, 2021, 05:57:19 am »
My new stock arriving next week will have a magnetic shield over the buzzer:

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007, Marco1971, AVGresponding

Online Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #458 on: July 16, 2021, 07:19:20 pm »
My new stock arriving next week will have a magnetic shield over the buzzer:

Will there be any availability of those for existing units?

Mine's a 789, but it'd be interesting to hear if Brymen will stand by them that much.

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #459 on: August 05, 2021, 04:31:13 pm »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-eevblog-bm786-multimeter/msg3528776/#msg3528776

What is the current version of firmware for the BM786?  Is it still at 78606? 

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #460 on: August 06, 2021, 04:22:43 am »
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-eevblog-bm786-multimeter/msg3528776/#msg3528776

What is the current version of firmware for the BM786?  Is it still at 78606?

Just checked. My stock on the shelf is 78607
I just got another batch that are in my storage room, but have not checked that yet.
EDIT: In my lab I have a unit at 78601 and another at 78605
I'll try and get a list of changes.
EDIT 2: Check my new stock and it's also 78607
I might try and get the latest file and try the programmer out.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2021, 04:41:14 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: joeqsmith, Andrew_Debbie

Offline Cymaphore

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #461 on: August 06, 2021, 09:50:43 am »
I just got another batch that are in my storage room, but have not checked that yet.

The BM789 that was delivered to Welectron in the shipment about two months ago reports 78908.

But it is not unlikely that this model has also another line of Firmware releases.

The following users thanked this post: Kartika

Online joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #462 on: August 06, 2021, 03:24:05 pm »
Brymen supplied me with 78908.  I was expecting one revision rather than four and wondered if the 786 was now at revision 9.   It will be interesting to know if the 78607 is the latest version.

I wonder with having the programmer, do you plan to always ship product with the latest release?  If not, I wonder what the intent was for having it?   

The following users thanked this post: Kartika

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #463 on: August 07, 2021, 12:32:24 am »

The BM789 that was delivered to Welectron in the shipment about two months ago reports 78908.
But it is not unlikely that this model has also another line of Firmware releases.

There is no doubt that it must.
My BM786 stock just came off the production line a couple of weeks ago.
I'm quite surprised by that, makes no sense to keep two multiple firmware versions within the same product family that are near idential and share the same PCB.
But they must have at least different compiled binaries as IIRC there is no hardware idenitier (jumper etc) that sets the product internally, so you need to program in the correct firmware binary.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2021, 01:58:06 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #464 on: August 07, 2021, 01:46:01 am »
My February 2021 BM789 from Welectron is version 05.  And of course no speaker shield.  Wonder if I should try for a warranty claim...

Offline Cymaphore

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #465 on: August 08, 2021, 01:19:10 pm »
My February 2021 BM789 from Welectron is version 05.  And of course no speaker shield.  Wonder if I should try for a warranty claim...

Out of interest, do you have any troubles with v05?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #466 on: August 08, 2021, 11:43:33 pm »

AFAIK all the updates have been for very minor obscure things, so you shouldn't have any issues.
Same for the BM235, it went through half a dozen revisions over the years, but people using original firmware don't even notice any issue as they are so rarely encountered.
I'm waiting on a list of firmware changes so I can include in the manual.

The following users thanked this post: Cymaphore

Offline J-R

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #467 on: August 09, 2021, 03:13:39 am »

AFAIK all the updates have been for very minor obscure things, so you shouldn't have any issues.
Same for the BM235, it went through half a dozen revisions over the years, but people using original firmware don't even notice any issue as they are so rarely encountered.
I'm waiting on a list of firmware changes so I can include in the manual.
I have little issue with the older firmware but would still like to be able to update it if possible.

Biggest gripe has been the magnet/speaker design flaw.  Two choices are fix it myself or return for a warranty claim.  I'd be curious how the various sellers like Dave or Welectron would handle it.  Most likely shipping costs would be involved so a DIY solution is probably where I'll go.  Or maybe we can get our hands on the shields?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #468 on: August 11, 2021, 12:32:12 am »
Or maybe we can get our hands on the shields?

I'll ask Brymen if I can get a bunch of them.

The following users thanked this post: Cymaphore

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #469 on: August 11, 2021, 12:58:44 am »
Firmware updates for BM786.
And Brymen have confirmed that recalibration after firmware update is not required.

78601 should be the early sample. BM786 first mass production units were with 78605 firmware version.

78605   1st mass production and shipment
78606   To fix 60k & 600k OHM ranges bugs. (happening while input short and lock range; auto range will not have this bug) 
78607   The status of IC Buffer to control buzzer is unknown after powering on. KaKa may be heard after powering on. Before firmware initializes this Buffer to have the control pin be pull-low to fix.     
« Last Edit: August 11, 2021, 01:00:48 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971, Fuzzy Star, Cymaphore

Offline Cymaphore

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #470 on: August 11, 2021, 05:41:15 am »
I'll ask Brymen if I can get a bunch of them.

What I like about Fluke: They directly sell spare parts for most of the meters I have at work. Saved the old but beloved F179 from the litter bin.

Would be awesome if there was a source for these parts for the BRYMEN as well. I don't know if that is something you want to use stock space for (spare displays, etc.). Just in idea.

Would also be cool from the "right to repair" point of view.

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
« Reply #471 on: August 11, 2021, 07:11:45 am »
Posting shields out to everyone who bought a BM786 sounds like a pain in the arse and could be costly as well, not to mention the risk of damage should they be incorrectly installed. Perhaps people could make their own with a bit of tin foil or copper sheet and some insulating material on the underside so as not to cause any shorts on the board.   :-\

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #472 on: August 11, 2021, 07:15:37 am »
Posting shields out to everyone who bought a BM786 sounds like a pain in the arse and could be costly as well, not to mention the risk of damage should they be incorrectly installed. Perhaps people could make their own with a bit of tin foil or copper sheet and some insulating material on the underside so as not to cause any shorts on the board.   :-\

That won't work. Shield has to block permanent magnetic field... So it's either soft iron (thick piece too) or some mu-metal or something...
And it has to go around beeper enough to shunt magnetic field around sensitive part...

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #473 on: August 11, 2021, 07:23:59 am »
Would be awesome if there was a source for these parts for the BRYMEN as well. I don't know if that is something you want to use stock space for (spare displays, etc.). Just in idea.
Would also be cool from the "right to repair" point of view.

In an ideal world it would be a good thing to have.
But realistically it's not worth the effort from the dealer level.
Take the LCD for example, to my knowledge not a single one has died yet, and I wouldn't expect any to for at least another decade.
Fluke sell these to customers who have had the meter for 20+ years and it's finally died.
I would literally have the buy the stock now and sit on them for at least another decade before anyone wanted them, and then the sales numbers you could count on one hand.

Offline Amaruk

• Contributor
« Reply #474 on: August 11, 2021, 03:49:02 pm »
Thanks for the heads-up on this DMM! It looks great and it is available thru Amazon here in the US now which is great!! :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf