Author Topic: New EEVblog BM786 Multimeter  (Read 143520 times)

Offline Marde

Re: New EEVblog BM786 Multimeter
« Reply #500 on: August 22, 2021, 06:37:54 am »
Just shipped 80 more units to Amazon US. Both meters sell very well on Amazon.

Ordered my BM786 yesterday via Amazon, it arrived in less than 24 hours (Arizona, USA)
It is blue, it has a rotary knob and some pushy button things. Funny-bad taste after licking one side of it. Strange flavor for sure.
Firmware is 07.

-Cheers!

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, AVGresponding, Trader

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #501 on: August 22, 2021, 07:27:37 am »
Ordered my BM786 yesterday via Amazon, it arrived in less than 24 hours (Arizona, USA)
It is blue, it has a rotary knob and some pushy button things. Funny-bad taste after licking one side of it. Strange flavor for sure.
Firmware is 07.

NOT covered under warranty!

The following users thanked this post: wolfy007, Marco1971, AVGresponding, Marde

Offline Marde

« Reply #502 on: August 23, 2021, 07:43:47 am »
Firmware is 07.

Please imagine any piece of legitimate electronic hardware that had a warranty comment about "licking & tasting" a new product immediately after out of the box. That would be a first. I hope this (or similar humor) happens at some point in the sake of worldwide humor. I've never seen any humor inside of any product Warranty, Spec Sheet, or within an Owner's Manual ever. When & who will be the first one to do this? Not to discredit any company, item or document, but a single jab of humor, or an Easter Egg within an official document would be nothing other than fun and maybe great PR too? Those darn PR people and the lawyers are crushing our natural sarcastic humor & joy. SIDE NOTE: the Flake 578 DMM watch + Dave + EEVBlog video was very close, but is not included. That particular EEVBlog video was very much appreciated and it was a joy to watch that watch.

No more silly comments from me inside of this thread. I will slowly find my place inside of EEVB places soon. Thanks & good day to everyone.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #503 on: August 23, 2021, 10:38:47 am »
Please imagine any piece of legitimate electronic hardware that had a warranty comment about "licking & tasting" a new product immediately after out of the box. That would be a first. I hope this (or similar humor) happens at some point in the sake of worldwide humor. I've never seen any humor inside of any product Warranty, Spec Sheet, or within an Owner's Manual ever. When & who will be the first one to do this? Not to discredit any company, item or document, but a single jab of humor, or an Easter Egg within an official document would be nothing other than fun and maybe great PR too? Those darn PR people and the lawyers are crushing our natural sarcastic humor & joy. SIDE NOTE: the Flake 578 DMM watch + Dave + EEVBlog video was very close, but is not included. That particular EEVBlog video was very much appreciated and it was a joy to watch that watch.

No more silly comments from me inside of this thread. I will slowly find my place inside of EEVB places soon. Thanks & good day to everyone.

https://www.eevblog.com/files/BM235-Manual-EEVblog.pdf

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza, Trader

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #504 on: August 23, 2021, 01:54:45 pm »
I've never seen any humor inside of any product Warranty, Spec Sheet, or within an Owner's Manual ever.
Apart from Dave's, Jim Williams had several of these throughout the years.
http://readingjimwilliams.blogspot.com/2011/09/app-note-35-part-3.html

I know some Tektronix's manuals also had funny drawings on them.
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline Synthtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #505 on: August 24, 2021, 06:23:50 am »
Very sorry if this has been covered before but it's such a long thread - Can I ask whether the EEVblog Brymen meter has a decent LCD backlight time? I wanted a Brymen meter but did not buy it because a 15 second backlight is a deal breaker for me.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #506 on: August 24, 2021, 07:14:17 am »
Very sorry if this has been covered before but it's such a long thread - Can I ask whether the EEVblog Brymen meter has a decent LCD backlight time? I wanted a Brymen meter but did not buy it because a 15 second backlight is a deal breaker for me.

Approx 16min says the manual

The following users thanked this post: Synthtech

Offline Synthtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #507 on: August 24, 2021, 07:14:28 am »
I see that Emona Instruments sell a 500,000 count meter under the Metrel name which looks like a re-branded Brymen BM867 at a far higher price than the Brymen branded meter.

https://emona.com.au/products/electronic-test-measure/multimeters/md-9060.html
« Last Edit: August 24, 2021, 07:16:42 am by Synthtech »

Offline Synthtech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #508 on: August 24, 2021, 07:15:28 am »
I see that Emona Instruments sell a 500,000 count meter under the Metrel name which looks like a re-branded Brymen BM867 at a far higher price than the Brymen branded meter.

Great news! I am in Melbourne so easy for me to order from the EEVblog site too. Thank you.

Offline ralphrmartin

• Frequent Contributor
    • Me
« Reply #509 on: August 24, 2021, 04:52:43 pm »
Funny-bad taste after licking one side of it. Strange flavor for sure.

But it says warranty void if not opened up, and I cannot see anything saying "Do not use tongue as a screwdriver."...

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline Neutrion

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #510 on: September 13, 2021, 11:42:08 am »
Hello!
I just opened a new topic for the BM789, because of an (or two) issue with it but if anyone might could test the same thing with the 786 it would be nice. Quiet curious whether you get the same results:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/brymen-bm789/

Offline nick779

• Contributor
« Reply #511 on: September 20, 2021, 12:53:01 am »
Well. I was initially looking at a 87V for my basic use, but it seems a BM786 is now making its way to me in the US.

I'm curious how warranty support works in the USA during the first year if there aren't any distributors aside from Amazon.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #512 on: September 20, 2021, 12:54:40 pm »
Well. I was initially looking at a 87V for my basic use, but it seems a BM786 is now making its way to me in the US.

I'm curious how warranty support works in the USA during the first year if there aren't any distributors aside from Amazon.

If it's not DOA (immediate return) then the chances are high that it will last a very long time.

The following users thanked this post: nick779

Offline nick779

• Contributor
« Reply #513 on: September 21, 2021, 02:55:32 pm »
So, I did a brief bit of searching but didn't turn up what I was looking for.

Is there a US source for fuses? With shipping I'm looking at ~$60 for a pack from the store provided they fit the BM786 (They are not listed as a supported model on the EEVBlog store)

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #514 on: September 21, 2021, 03:24:51 pm »
So, I did a brief bit of searching but didn't turn up what I was looking for.

Is there a US source for fuses? With shipping I'm looking at ~$60 for a pack from the store provided they fit the BM786 (They are not listed as a supported model on the EEVBlog store)

The large fuse is the same as the common (but not cheap) Fluke, et al, DMM-11 type fuse from Bussmann or Littlefuse.  The smaller one is not the same as the Flukes.  It is a SIBA 7017240 series, which you can search for.  You can try Witonics or the normal electronics distributors, but be aware that there is an issue with counterfeit fuses for the Fluke applications--so I can't recommend Amazon or eBay for those.  Dave's price of AU$ 25 for that kit is actually pretty good, but if it comes to US$ 60 all said and done, that's not so good.
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #515 on: September 21, 2021, 04:49:03 pm »
It's worth mentioning that they are a standard size (10mm x 38mm) but odd value 11A and (400?)mA. You've a good chance of finding 10A ones at an electrical factors quite cheaply, though the mA ones are likely to still be a bit pricey but you should find them easily available from Mouser or Digikey or whatever your local electronics supplier is.

10A is probably fine as a replacement; if you're measuring stuff of that magnitude you should probably be using a clamp anyway.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #516 on: September 21, 2021, 05:33:53 pm »
Some idiot YT expert blabbing on about safety with while showing off his Fluke with some fuse from the local hardware store installed.   :palm:   

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #517 on: September 21, 2021, 06:02:35 pm »
That's an expensive fuse, too.

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #518 on: September 21, 2021, 06:19:25 pm »
Some idiot YT expert blabbing on about safety with while showing off his Fluke with some fuse from the local hardware store installed.   :palm:

Looks like a Cooper-Bussmann LP-CC, which is a very good, very safe fuse, but completely wrong for the application...

https://uk.rs-online.com/web/p/cartridge-fuses/8484386

If you are gonna use a non-Fluke one, at least pick one with the correct voltage ratings.   :palm:
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

Offline Algoma

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #519 on: September 21, 2021, 06:29:08 pm »
The fact that the fuse is replaced alone indicates a potential past mistake already occurred (Or was tested to fault on purpose for review). 

Certainly something to check for your safety when acquiring a second hand meter, that a correct Fuse is in place.

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
« Reply #520 on: September 21, 2021, 06:45:23 pm »
Whilst I will grudgingly confess to having popped a few mA rated fuses (and I mean a few, like maybe 3 or 4) in the 30-odd years I've been sticking pointy metal objects into dangerous places, I've no recollection of ever having blown an 11A one. Pretty sure I'd remember, it would be a decent spark!

Putting something in series (ie a meter) with the DUT to measure current is a crappy way to do it as has been mentioned numerous times on this forum.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?

Offline nick779

• Contributor
« Reply #521 on: September 21, 2021, 06:47:03 pm »
The 11A Bussman seems available at my local Grainger down the street for $17. The Siba however I'm not having luck anywhere but TME.

If the fuse kit from the EEVBlog store is the correct sizes and ratings for the BM786, I might just order direct and eat the cost of shipping for that peace of mind. Still waiting on a reply from the EEVBlog Store support email though.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 01:48:23 pm by nick779 »

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #522 on: September 22, 2021, 06:05:51 pm »
Anyone knows if Welectron increased the price recently form 149 to 169? i vaguely recall it was 149 at some time?
https://www.welectron.com/Brymen-BM786-Multimeter-EEVBlog-Edition_1

Offline kawal

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #523 on: September 22, 2021, 09:43:12 pm »
Bought one recently on Amazon US - very nice meter.
Firmware 786 V 07

And has the shield on the speaker.

« Last Edit: September 22, 2021, 10:15:43 pm by kawal »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #524 on: September 23, 2021, 05:29:27 am »
Anyone knows if Welectron increased the price recently form 149 to 169? i vaguely recall it was 149 at some time?
https://www.welectron.com/Brymen-BM786-Multimeter-EEVBlog-Edition_1

IIRC they never sold it at US$150, that's the price I am selling at.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf