Author Topic: New EEVblog BM786 Multimeter  (Read 145713 times)

Offline nick779

• Contributor
Re: New EEVblog BM786 Multimeter
« Reply #525 on: September 23, 2021, 10:11:12 am »
snip

Sorry for the direct quote, I was hoping for clarification on the fuse pack in your store. Does it fit the BM786? That model is not listed as a supported model, but I also didn't see a specific set for the BM786 either. I'd hate to pay $30 in shipping to get fuses that do not fit.

Offline MT

• Super Contributor
« Reply #526 on: September 24, 2021, 06:00:41 am »
Anyone knows if Welectron increased the price recently form 149 to 169? i vaguely recall it was 149 at some time?
https://www.welectron.com/Brymen-BM786-Multimeter-EEVBlog-Edition_1

IIRC they never sold it at US$150, that's the price I am selling at.
Ok, so which software versions did Welectron get on their units?

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #527 on: September 24, 2021, 06:03:47 am »
Anyone knows if Welectron increased the price recently form 149 to 169? i vaguely recall it was 149 at some time?

I don't know, they buy directly from Brymen, I just get a commision on my branded units.

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #528 on: September 24, 2021, 06:38:04 pm »

Ask them, they're very friendly.

The following users thanked this post: MT

Offline nick779

• Contributor
« Reply #529 on: September 25, 2021, 10:51:17 am »
snip

Sorry for the direct quote, I was hoping for clarification on the fuse pack in your store. Does it fit the BM786? That model is not listed as a supported model, but I also didn't see a specific set for the BM786 either. I'd hate to pay $30 in shipping to get fuses that do not fit.

Well, they're the same size and rating as the originals, just different part numbers. Granted the lack of a store email reply or forum reply doesn't really sit well for me from a support perspective should something go wrong in the first year. Sorry if it's obvious for everyone else, I just prefer to make sure.
« Last Edit: September 25, 2021, 12:01:13 pm by nick779 »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #530 on: September 25, 2021, 11:03:04 am »

Yes they are compatible.

The following users thanked this post: nick779

Offline nick779

• Contributor
« Reply #531 on: September 25, 2021, 12:00:35 pm »
I appreciate the response.

Offline 77Ribetts

« Reply #532 on: October 01, 2021, 03:14:31 am »
HI i apologize if this is not the place or way to ask this i want to buy a BM786 (im in the uk) and im wondering if anyone has been hit with extra taxes buying from the au eevblog site ?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #533 on: October 01, 2021, 03:56:46 am »
HI i apologize if this is not the place or way to ask this i want to buy a BM786 (im in the uk) and im wondering if anyone has been hit with extra taxes buying from the au eevblog site ?

Simon on the forum who runs Sparky Labs stocks it in the UK.
https://simonselectronics.co.uk/product/bm786-eevblog/

Offline basecase

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #534 on: October 30, 2021, 06:58:40 am »
I bought the meter on 10/12 via the EEVBlog store, and it arrived in US CA on 10/20. Firmware revision was 07.
It was worth the wait considering that it instantly made making measurements a lot easier compared to my old BK 389A.
I probably should have gotten the BM786 a lot sooner considering how much I hated the incessant beeping that someone at BK considered to be a good feature to add.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Offline SHF

• Regular Contributor
  • Radio Amateur
« Reply #535 on: November 23, 2021, 04:14:21 pm »
Hello
I have two BM786, one with firmware 05 and the other with firmware 07, how do the two versions differ?
does anyone have any information about it ?
« Last Edit: November 23, 2021, 06:18:02 pm by SHF »

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #536 on: November 23, 2021, 11:41:42 pm »
Hello
I have two BM786, one with firmware 05 and the other with firmware 07, how do the two versions differ?
does anyone have any information about it ?

From Brymen:
78605   1st mass production and shipment
78606   To fix 60k & 600k OHM ranges bugs. (happening while input short and lock range; auto range will not have this bug) 
78607   The status of IC Buffer to control buzzer is unknown after powering on. KaKa may be heard after powering on. Before firmware initializes this Buffer to have the control pin be pull-low to fix.   

Offline N0NB

• Contributor
  • Amateur radio op; electronics dabbler
    • N0NB.us
« Reply #537 on: December 20, 2021, 07:52:25 pm »
10 days ago Amazon showed the BM786 in stock.  Today as I go to order one, it is unavailable.   |O

Is my only option to order directly from the EEVblog store or will Amazon be restocked soon?
- Nate

The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #538 on: December 20, 2021, 08:19:52 pm »
10 days ago Amazon showed the BM786 in stock.  Today as I go to order one, it is unavailable.   |O

Is my only option to order directly from the EEVblog store or will Amazon be restocked soon?

I thought the earlier ones were stored at the warehouse that was hit.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/11/business/amazon-deaths-warehouse-tornado/index.html

Offline Caliaxy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #539 on: December 20, 2021, 08:20:24 pm »

You can also try buying it from welectron (just google welectron BM786). I bought a very similar ;) one from them and it arrived quite fast. Taking into account that they won't charge 19%VAT for US orders and the shipping to US is about 10 Eur (by DHL) you'll probably end up paying the same price as on Amazon with free shipping, or less.

Not sure about warranty for international orders and what happens if you need to send it back.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #540 on: December 20, 2021, 08:22:58 pm »

I thought the earlier ones were stored at the warehouse that was hit.

https://www.cnn.com/2021/12/11/business/amazon-deaths-warehouse-tornado/index.html

No, mine aren't stored there.
I have no shortage of meters, the store has stock again.

The following users thanked this post: N0NB

Offline Meter Deter

« Reply #541 on: December 21, 2021, 06:36:29 pm »
place my order in yesterday at EEVblog Store. i just found about BM786 from EEVblog YouTube video on fluke brand. then i watch joe smith 4 part video on BM786. then made my purchase. thanks guys.

Offline Mickeswe

« Reply #542 on: December 23, 2021, 01:27:39 am »
Just purchased the bm786 from welectron the other day. Auper fast shipping to Sweden even with the free shipping.
I received my bm786 with the latest firmware which as of thos writing is 78607

Offline RissViss

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #543 on: December 23, 2021, 05:03:31 am »
Just got my BM786 the other day, way better then UNI-T UT61E.
Has it where you can probe the 110V socket and find out which is the Live and Neutral, with only one probe.
Was wondering is there a lower priced way to get the magnetic strap in Canada, shipping cost more then the strap. Is anyone selling them in Canada.

Offline pinpassion

• Contributor
« Reply #544 on: December 23, 2021, 11:37:48 am »
I got my BM786 on Monday (12/20) from Amazon within 24 hours of placing the order. Not bad so close to Christmas! Thanks to the video's from Dave and Joe, I learned just how good the Brymen meters were. I'm proud to own such a high quality instrument. I'm also glad to support the EEVBlog as it has enhanced my hobby. I would say 90% of the time I use Utube it is to learn about my hobby interests. I just love test equipment!!

In my limited experience with the BM786, I have noticed the screw on banana plug adapters seem to like to fall off. I don't know why, but now I keep them with the thermocouple in the bag so I don't lose them. I want to get some alligator clip adapters, and the magnet strap accessory. As many have noticed, the representation for Brymen in the US is horrible. I would order them locally in a heartbeat, but I have not found them yet. I'm cheap, so I'm not going to spring for international shipping, especially during the holidays and the Covid mess.

Thanks to Dave, Joe, and all you wonderful contributors for sharing your knowledge and expertise. You all help me get by!! Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you all!!!

Mike

Offline N0NB

• Contributor
    • N0NB.us
« Reply #545 on: December 27, 2021, 07:13:05 pm »
I ordered one from this site.  It spent a few days in Sydney, customs, I guess.  It's now in Kansas City, MO (three hours away) being handed off to another carrier for final delivery which is slated for Wednesday.  Maybe tomorrow?
- Nate

The optimist proclaims we live in the best of all possible worlds.  The pessimist fears this is true.

Offline Meter Deter

« Reply #546 on: December 29, 2021, 10:10:13 pm »
Just got my package in. Was on hold in Sydney.
I use continuity all the time. I like the loudness of the beep. And light flashes

Offline pinpassion

• Contributor
« Reply #547 on: December 30, 2021, 12:11:23 am »
Hi Gang,

I wanted to get a case for my new BM786. I had intended on just getting a zippered soft case for it, so I started looking online. What I found was that many of the cases listed were not dimensionally compatible with it. The 786 is long. The dimensions are listed as 9.41 x 4.96 x 2.4 inches. That leaves a surprising number of cases too small for it. I settled on a case from Proster sold by Amazon. It's a hard case with removable foam inserts. It has a mesh pocket that fits the test leads and thermocouple with room to spare. It was $17.50 US. It has a nice carrying handle. I'm satisfied that this will protect the meter and keep my accessories together with it so they don't get lost. I'm attaching a picture. I can turn the meter upside down in the case with the top open and it stays put, so it holds the meter snugly, but not too tight. Here's the Amazon link for details. I have no affiliation with the seller whatsoever.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VR3CB2N/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

The following users thanked this post: Marde

Offline N0NB

• Contributor
    • N0NB.us
« Reply #548 on: December 30, 2021, 12:19:36 am »
Well, I think mine has been tossed into a black hole in Kansas City.  Tracking shows it forwarded to a third party carrier on Monday at 12:40 local time and then again yesterday it was forwarded to a local carrier at 17:46 local time.  No mention of the carrier or their tracking number appears on the DHL Web site.  It was scheduled to be delivered by the "end of day" today but all carriers that serve here have run their routes for the day.

Now I see Amazon has the EEVBlog BM786 in stock.

|O
- Nate

Offline antimix

« Reply #549 on: December 30, 2021, 12:23:19 am »
Hello,

I have just received my EEVblog BM786 Multimeter purchased directly from Dave. It took few days to come from Australia to Italy.
I could have purchased directly from Welectron in Germany, that is in Europe, but I preferred to purchase it directly from Dave.

At the end I calculated that I saved 7€  ;D purchasing it from Dave, even keeping in account the added transportation & Duty taxes.
The multimeter is gorgeous compared to my old Metex M3800. I received it in the white Dave box as seen in the videos. :-+
I was convinced to find inside an autographed photo with dedication .... :-DD  (suggestion for Dave:  this could be a new gadget to include to increase the sales...  8) )

Then I purchased the fuse replacements, and the Brymen bag (this time from Welectron).
Currently, there are inside the original supplied Alkaline batteries that I used when testing the multimeter, but I will replace with 3x 1.5V rechargeable Lithium battery as I have done for other devices where I don't want to have the leakage spectre.... ;)

Happy new Year.

Roberto

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf