Author Topic: New EEVblog BM786 Multimeter  (Read 143593 times)

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
Re: New EEVblog BM786 Multimeter
« Reply #350 on: February 23, 2021, 07:16:12 pm »
Merriam Webster:
Definition of quite a while
: a long time  >:D

Offline Algoma

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #351 on: February 23, 2021, 07:16:41 pm »
That doesn't seem right.  I wonder what "quite a while" means.

Its intermittent and inconsistent.. 5 seconds to 30 seconds. Diode test mode intermittently flashes low Forward Voltage values, indicating like a shorted diode, even with no leads attached.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:32:16 pm by Algoma »

Offline MK14

• Super Contributor
« Reply #352 on: February 23, 2021, 07:17:52 pm »
As far as we poms go, it's only really the knitted cardie brigade that gets upset by swearing these days.

I listen to a lot of BBC Radio 4 and it's quite common to hear much stronger language than that in the 6:30 pm comedy slot.

I guess MK14 hasn't heard Dave telling the camera to focus yet, that one always makes me chuckle... and he should definitely avoid AvE's channel. He's Canadian btw...

I suppose audiences sensitivity to 'bad' words, varies.

On topic, it would seem to make sense as Wytnucls suggests for Brymen to rate the meter for 400mA continuous and 600mA peak.

I agree, and thought a similar thing. Many/some 10 Amp multimeter ranges, say something like, 10 Amps continuous, Max 20 Amps for up to 25 seconds, not repeating again for at least 5 minutes.

So, presumably, a similar or vaguely similar specification, such as 450ma continuous, Max 600ma for up to 5 minutes or something. Would make more sense. N.B. I don't know how long or short the times would have to be.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 07:19:23 pm by MK14 »

Offline Pampalini

« Reply #353 on: February 23, 2021, 08:10:16 pm »
Someone wrote me about the magnetic strap having an effect on the beepers loudness.  I was able to replicate it on all the 78x meters I have.   It's not a small effect.  You can make the audio very faint with it.  Really odd.   I have written Brymen about it. 

I don't use these magnetic hangers often and wonder if there are other meters with a similar problem.
Ups... It means I should avoid laying my new BM789 on linear motor or any other magnetic field source :o. I didn't buy magnetic strip only because it was not available yet so my beeper still works. Thanks for the warning.

Online AVGresponding

• Super Contributor
  • Exploring Rabbit Holes Since The 1970s
« Reply #354 on: February 23, 2021, 08:20:06 pm »
As far as we poms go, it's only really the knitted cardie brigade that gets upset by swearing these days.

I listen to a lot of BBC Radio 4 and it's quite common to hear much stronger language than that in the 6:30 pm comedy slot.

I guess MK14 hasn't heard Dave telling the camera to focus yet, that one always makes me chuckle... and he should definitely avoid AvE's channel. He's Canadian btw...

I suppose audiences sensitivity to 'bad' words, varies.

One tends to adjust one's vocabulary to the nature of one's company.
At work, in the company of people many of whom use the "F word" more or less every other word in a, well, let's call it a "sentence" for the sake of argument, I find myself following suit, and have to consciously moderate myself sometimes.

When speaking with my grandchildren, or my mother for example, I have no difficulty avoiding swear words.

On topic, it would seem to make sense as Wytnucls suggests for Brymen to rate the meter for 400mA continuous and 600mA peak.

I agree, and thought a similar thing. Many/some 10 Amp multimeter ranges, say something like, 10 Amps continuous, Max 20 Amps for up to 25 seconds, not repeating again for at least 5 minutes.

So, presumably, a similar or vaguely similar specification, such as 450ma continuous, Max 600ma for up to 5 minutes or something. Would make more sense. N.B. I don't know how long or short the times would have to be.

It would certainly remove any confusion surrounding the fuse value.
nuqDaq yuch Dapol?
Addiction count: Agilent-AVO-BlackStar-Brymen-Chauvin Arnoux-Fluke-GenRad-Hameg-HP-Keithley-IsoTech-Mastech-Megger-Metrix-Micronta-Racal-RFL-Siglent-Solartron-Tektronix-Thurlby-Time Electronics-TTi-UniT

The following users thanked this post: MK14

Offline Algoma

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #355 on: February 23, 2021, 08:26:11 pm »
In follow-up to my AutoRange flickering issue. When its flickering between MOhms and Kohms, it wont take any measurements at all, even with the leads shorted, or a resistor to measure. Though, If I push down gently on the selector switch it will settle and take a measurement. I think it may have likely took some shipping damage, Considering the soiled state of the DHL bag and Squish on the bottom corner of the box, I think it had a bit of a rough transit.

Yes, if I push down gently on the selector switch it works, but if I pull up slightly or tap on the edge of it, off-center, it begins to randomly flicker ranges and produce intermittent random readings. Either bad contacts or possible shipping damage.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 09:19:08 pm by Algoma »

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #356 on: February 23, 2021, 11:10:18 pm »
Someone wrote me about the magnetic strap having an effect on the beepers loudness.  I was able to replicate it on all the 78x meters I have.   It's not a small effect.  You can make the audio very faint with it.  Really odd.   I have written Brymen about it. 
I don't use these magnetic hangers often and wonder if there are other meters with a similar problem.

I could not preproduce wiht the Brymen BM01 hanger for the BM235. Need to try bigger hangers.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #357 on: February 24, 2021, 01:07:04 am »

I could not preproduce wiht the Brymen BM01 hanger for the BM235. Need to try bigger hangers.
Try it with your new 786 using their hangers.  The hanger is molded to fit into the meter. 

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #358 on: February 24, 2021, 01:10:48 am »
That doesn't seem right.  I wonder what "quite a while" means.

Its intermittent and inconsistent.. 5 seconds to 30 seconds. Diode test mode intermittently flashes low Forward Voltage values, indicating like a shorted diode, even with no leads attached.

I don't see anything like this with the three I have. 

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #359 on: February 24, 2021, 01:11:39 am »

Ups... It means I should avoid laying my new BM789 on linear motor or any other magnetic field source :o. I didn't buy magnetic strip only because it was not available yet so my beeper still works. Thanks for the warning.
Remove the magnet and the audio level returns.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #360 on: February 24, 2021, 01:44:26 am »

Oh, so it's not permanent damage?

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #361 on: February 24, 2021, 02:17:42 am »

Oh, so it's not permanent damage?
It doesn't appear to be in my meters anyway.  You move that magnet around the sweet spot and you can almost silence the meter.   I tried it with the few larger magnets as well.  Same effect, remove them and the meter recovers.   

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #362 on: February 24, 2021, 02:26:19 am »
Yep, sure enough:

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #363 on: February 24, 2021, 02:42:44 am »
Crazy.  I haven't looked at any others but many of the beepers look similar from what I remember.  It may be fairly common.   

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #364 on: February 24, 2021, 02:59:44 am »
If it's a magnetic beeper, then of course a magnet is going to affect it. But when you use a magnetic strap hanger, surely the magnet is supposed to be on the other end of the hanger than the meter? Why is this even worth talking about?

Offline IanB

• Super Contributor
« Reply #365 on: February 24, 2021, 03:02:33 am »
One thing I know about low range current fuses, when I accidentally put 1 A through one, it blew instantly. If I want to measure any current above 100 mA or so, I am going to use the 10 A range. It is far too easy to make a mistake and accidentally over current the thing. And those SIBA fuses are expensive to replace as retail purchases.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #366 on: February 24, 2021, 03:16:03 am »
If it's a magnetic beeper, then of course a magnet is going to affect it. But when you use a magnetic strap hanger, surely the magnet is supposed to be on the other end of the hanger than the meter? Why is this even worth talking about?

If you watched that last video where I show the hanger, you can see how it fits into the meter for storage or if you just wanted to use the strap.  It's a very flexible design.  When the magnet is stored, the beeper is not very loud.   I can fully understand why the person brought it up even though you personally don't care about it.  Then again, why post if you don't?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #367 on: February 24, 2021, 04:25:51 am »
One thing I know about low range current fuses, when I accidentally put 1 A through one, it blew instantly. If I want to measure any current above 100 mA or so, I am going to use the 10 A range. It is far too easy to make a mistake and accidentally over current the thing. And those SIBA fuses are expensive to replace as retail purchases.

Yep I do the same. Anything over 50-100mA I'll use the A range, as it's easy to blow and the burden voltage will suck. It's one of the reasons why the 121GW had the 500mA range use the 10A fuse. That way the only the 50mA range and below is protectd by the 400mA fuse.

Offline Algoma

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #368 on: February 24, 2021, 03:34:14 pm »
In follow-up to my Selection switch issue I had noted with my new BM786, Further testing and operation of the selector switch has gradually improved the operation with use over a few hours. I can no longer cause the misreading and Auto-Range flashing by simply tapping on the switch. It seems likely that the contacts simply needed a bit of a break-in (if anyone else encounters this in the future).

The following users thanked this post: AVGresponding

Offline schwaggins

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #369 on: February 25, 2021, 04:21:53 am »
After leaving the BMH-02 magnet off my meter for a couple of days the beeper has returned to a fairly normal volume again. Brymen really needs to fix this someone might end up touching a live wire or something

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog

Offline schwaggins

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #370 on: February 25, 2021, 04:23:22 am »
The BMH-02 magnet is incredibly powerful compared to the BMH-01, it easily holds the weight of the entire meter securely

Offline Monkeh

• Super Contributor
« Reply #371 on: February 25, 2021, 04:37:33 am »
After leaving the BMH-02 magnet off my meter for a couple of days the beeper has returned to a fairly normal volume again. Brymen really needs to fix this someone might end up touching a live wire or something

Err, if they do that's their fault, not the lack of a beeper.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #372 on: February 25, 2021, 05:22:43 am »
Err, if they do that's their fault, not the lack of a beeper.
I have to agree.

A positive indication is a positive situation or a false positive.
BUT
A negative indication could mean a negative situation or an equipment failure.

When using ANY tool, all four of the above should be considered!

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #373 on: February 25, 2021, 07:53:39 am »

They are looking into it.

Offline schwaggins

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #374 on: February 25, 2021, 11:07:24 am »
With nothing better to do I ended up relocating the buzzer further down inside the Meter to a space underneath the LCD screen, problem solved :-+

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf