Author Topic: New EEVBlog-Branded Multimeter Coming?  (Read 165786 times)

Offline Muttley Snickers

• Supporter
  • Cursed: 679 times
Re: New EEVBlog-Branded Multimeter Coming?
« Reply #500 on: January 20, 2018, 01:13:00 am »
Perhaps somebody should add a running list or index of confirmed concerns to the other 121GW thread so none get overlooked, they could also be indexed in order of priority in an effort to assist the UEI technicians.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #501 on: January 20, 2018, 01:15:28 am »
Dave has confirmed the switch wobble is causing an issue, confirmed on the "Issues" thread.
I hope Dave will update us all on the switch and firmware solutions as soon as he has an idea, (discussed with UEi) the course of action to take.

Of course I will. When I know you'll know.
UEi don't speculate, so I have nothing to even speculatively tell you right now.

The following users thanked this post: 1anX

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #502 on: January 20, 2018, 01:35:04 am »
I deleted a few non-relevant posts in the other thread trying to tidy it up, they contained nothing of importance.
I am NOT censoring anyone, say whatever you want in this thread or the main discussion thread, but PLEASE don't discuss things in the Issues thread, is that too much to ask?
I am trying to keep the Issues thread clean so that it contains a reasonably concise list of the issues and confirmations. UEi are reading this thread, I do not want them (and us) to have to look through a hundred page thread to reference the issues.

On the switch,  I just wanted to be clear that your comment
"We have had no problems with the range switch since then.
  was not entirely true.  I will say that I never saw the wobble on the prototype.  If people watch the video where I had repaired it, I ran it outside the case.  The rotating spring contact holder what held in place by its locking barbs where it fits through the board.   Even then I don't think it was intermittent.    This is why I wonder if they had loosened the tension maybe to help reduce the wear.  If so, maybe they went too far with it.  Hard to say but it would be easy enough to compare them at some point.    With you unboxing a fair number of them to test, I would think if there was a major problem you would have come across it. 

I'll repeat again, we had several more revisions after your unit, and none of them had any issues with the switch. This seems to be an entirely new issue in the production units.

"to delete (a word or passage of text) in one's capacity as a censor."   

I don't have anything further to add to the issues thread beyond what I have already posted.   

I have no problem with you making claims about revisions after the one I had looked at however, 

It was the first prototype that used a PIC24 processor. It was not the final range switch.  We have had no problems with the range switch since then. I'm surprised to hear about any issues to do with the range switch.

is not true.  The meter I have is certainly post PIC24 and there are problems with the switch design.  That's all I am saying.  I would have no way to know what changes they made after this revision or what testing they performed to validate it.  While I would like to assume they have done their due diligence, it does seem that there are still problems with it.   

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #503 on: January 20, 2018, 02:01:07 am »

Please get over it.

It was the first prototype that used a PIC24 processor. It was not the final range switch.  We have had no problems with the range switch since then. I'm surprised to hear about any issues to do with the range switch.
is not true.  The meter I have is certainly post PIC24 and there are problems with the switch design.  That's all I am saying.  I would have no way to know what changes they made after this revision or what testing they performed to validate it.  While I would like to assume they have done their due diligence, it does seem that there are still problems with it.

How can you state this is not true? you have no knowledge of this.
You have not seen the several revisions of meter after your unit.
I'm telling you that there was nothing wrong with these meters in regards to wobble intermittent contact, and you even admitted yourself that your unit had no such issues. The issue you had with the switch had nothing to do with the "wobble" or intermittent contact.
I'll state again for the last time, this is a new issue that has only appeared on the production units.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #504 on: January 20, 2018, 02:06:36 am »

Please get over it.

How can you state this is not true? you have no knowledge of this.
You have not seen the several revisions of meter after your unit.
I'm telling you that there was nothing wrong with these meters in regards to wobble intermittent contact, and you even admitted yourself that your unit had no such issues. The issue you had with the switch had nothing to do with the "wobble" or intermittent contact.
I'll state again for the last time, this is a new issue that has only appeared on the production units.
No problems means no problems.   I can believe there were no wobble or intermittent contact problems but there were certainly other problems relating to the switch after the PIC24.

Offline 1anX

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #505 on: January 20, 2018, 03:24:56 am »
It doesn't matter to me about what the details were of the past prototypes!

I'm concerned about the current production models and what I'm going to receive come March 2018. Its not so much about the existence of the problems encountered with the production model, but about how it will be fixed.

There are two items of concern and they are the current meters now delivered may have a hardware issue and how will this be addressed?

The Kickstarter way of buying a new meter is certainly a new experience for me, as it is without certainty or guarantee. I would not have engaged in the campaign if not for finding Dave and his blog to be 100% genuine. I'm certain the existing owners will be looked after and the next batch of meters will be fixed before being shipped.

Dave we need you to communicate a reassurance that hardware and firmware will be fixed. We are all reasonable people and understand this may take some time. Give us one of your EEVBlogs on how the Kickstarter project meters have some issues and whats needed to fix them. Give us some of your trademark sarcasm and humour and include us, (the backers) in how you progress from here. 
« Last Edit: January 20, 2018, 03:36:38 am by 1anX »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #506 on: January 20, 2018, 03:33:08 am »
Dave we need you to communicate a reassurance that hardware and firmware will be fixed.

Hardware and firmware will be fixed, that is my intention.
But obviously this it outside of my personal physical control though, I am reliant upon the manufacturer to investigate and fix the issues.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus, AgiRigSig, ChrisG, 1anX, Pete_A

Offline dcac

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #507 on: January 20, 2018, 02:28:37 pm »
Dave we need you to communicate a reassurance that hardware and firmware will be fixed.

Hardware and firmware will be fixed, that is my intention.
But obviously this it outside of my personal physical control though, I am reliant upon the manufacturer to investigate and fix the issues.

Sometimes when you found, or been made aware of, issues in DMMs you have done your own investigation video i.e. EEVblog #987 U1282A and EMC. From what I can tell that video is informative and factual and most likely helped the manufacture Keysight in their investigation.

And the 121GW is after all a production model now so it deserves to be scrutinized, especially with problems like the wobbly selector switch that was already thought (supposed) to have been fixed. Seems appropriate to make a video about it - taking that switch assembly apart. 

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #508 on: January 20, 2018, 04:28:48 pm »
And the 121GW is after all a production model now so it deserves to be scrutinized, especially with problems like the wobbly selector switch that was already thought (supposed) to have been fixed. Seems appropriate to make a video about it - taking that switch assembly apart.

Agree.  While finding unbiased information may be hard to come by, at least we are starting to see some of the problems. 

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf