Author Topic: New EEVBlog-Branded Multimeter Coming?  (Read 165685 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: 121GW
« Reply #175 on: May 31, 2017, 05:19:30 am »
UEI doesn't make meters, their OEM is FINEST TEST INSTRUMENTS in Korea, as is the case with many of the Klein multimeters, i.e. Klein MM6000 etc...

UEI helped design and manufacture the Klein meters, many of which incidentally are made in the USA. So Fluke are not the only ones to have Uncle Sam made meters.
UEI and Klein tools are also related companies.
There is quite a lot of complicated relationships with these companies in terms of manufacturing and design services.
e.g. You could ask UEI to design you a product, and they might subcontract that out to someone else, and have someone else again manufacture it.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 05:26:05 am by EEVblog »

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
Re: New EEVBlog-Branded Multimeter Coming?
« Reply #176 on: May 31, 2017, 05:19:57 am »
Klein Tools owns 50% of UEi.

The following users thanked this post: TopLoser

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #177 on: May 31, 2017, 05:27:20 am »
He gives it away in the latest video. It's UEI.

That video was for supporters only.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor
« Reply #178 on: May 31, 2017, 05:35:41 am »

Oops, ok. It's not always obvious when something shows up under new posts, which subforum it originated in and in any case, I didn't realize that the info in it was meant to be a secret. I thought the videos would show up on the EEVBlog2 youtube channel. Sorry. :-[

« Last Edit: May 31, 2017, 05:41:42 am by mtdoc »

Offline P90

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #179 on: May 31, 2017, 06:59:25 am »
UEI doesn't make meters, their OEM is FINEST TEST INSTRUMENTS in Korea, as is the case with many of the Klein multimeters, i.e. Klein MM6000 etc...

UEI helped design and manufacture the Klein meters, many of which incidentally are made in the USA. So Fluke are not the only ones to have Uncle Sam made meters.
UEI and Klein tools are also related companies.
There is quite a lot of complicated relationships with these companies in terms of manufacturing and design services.
e.g. You could ask UEI to design you a product, and they might subcontract that out to someone else, and have someone else again manufacture it.

thanks for clearing that up. I guess lots of business relations have changed, it's near impossible to keep up with who owns what, but then it really doesn't seem to matter these days...

Offline Testing123

• Contributor
« Reply #180 on: May 31, 2017, 11:19:59 am »
Any update on availability date?

Thanks...

Offline noidea

• Supporter
« Reply #181 on: May 31, 2017, 02:40:35 pm »
Sorry if this is a dumb question but how do you become a supporter these days,  is it via Patreon?

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #182 on: May 31, 2017, 03:00:49 pm »
There are a couple of ways - but Patreon is the path Dave suggests.

Offline Zom-B

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #183 on: June 10, 2017, 06:55:53 am »
I hate patreon because they make too many youtubers make commercials for them. Anything that appears frequently in ads and commercials will automatically be hated by me.

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #184 on: June 10, 2017, 07:46:52 am »
Hate Patreon by all means - but support Dave if you can.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #185 on: June 10, 2017, 07:51:54 am »
I hate patreon because they make too many youtubers make commercials for them. Anything that appears frequently in ads and commercials will automatically be hated by me.

AFAIK Patreon do not approach Youtubers to make commercial for them.
Youtubers voluntarily mention Patreon because it's a way for them to get an income stream, not because Patreon are actually paying them to do so.
It's like saying PayPal are paying people to promote PayPal Donations, it doesn't work like that.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #186 on: June 10, 2017, 07:53:05 am »
Sorry if this is a dumb question but how do you become a supporter these days,  is it via Patreon?

Yes, I  want Patreon to be the only way, and am trying to phase out direct PayPal donations.
Or you can get to 1000 posts and you get access to the Supporters forum section.

Offline Free_WiFi

• Regular Contributor
  • https://tinyurl.com/y5nhpt2x
« Reply #187 on: June 16, 2017, 10:48:32 am »
Im disappointed and concerned about the rotary switcher,this is bullshit and lame for our modern era .
Pls change it with buttons like in the MTX 3292 or for something similar.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 11:02:55 am by Free_WiFi »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #188 on: June 16, 2017, 12:13:29 pm »
Im disappointed and concerned about the rotary switcher,this is bullshit and lame for our modern era .
Pls change it with buttons like in the MTX 3292 or for something similar.

No. I like range switches.

The following users thanked this post: samgab, Vgkid, Frank, TheAmmoniacal, Brumby, MacMeter, bryanp

Offline Free_WiFi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #189 on: June 16, 2017, 01:12:48 pm »
Im glad that u like it ,but it would be way easier to produce the entire multimeter with buttons instead the rotary switcher .
In my opinion the rotary switcher makes the abs case more complex to make,it's also way bulkier and also requires more space inside the multimeter.

However ,just my opinions .
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 01:14:49 pm by Free_WiFi »

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #190 on: June 16, 2017, 01:38:18 pm »
Im glad that u like it ,but it would be way easier to produce the entire multimeter with buttons instead the rotary switcher .

No it wouldn't, as you'd need a lot more electronics to handle the switching that a multi-pole rotary switch does.

Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline X

• Regular Contributor
    • This is where you end up when you die...
« Reply #191 on: June 16, 2017, 01:46:41 pm »
In my opinion the rotary switcher makes the abs case more complex to make,it's also way bulkier and also requires more space inside the multimeter.

However ,just my opinions .
A good product with poor usability is a bad product. I've found multimeters with too many buttons to be extremely annoying, especially when you can just stick it on the range switch. With a range switch, it's very easy to see what mode the meter is in because it is printed on the range switch.

For example, Fluke should move the AC/DC selection back to the rotary switch like the old square Fluke 27 (?) had, at least to avoid the ridiculous default-AC current mode. Some functions (eg. on/off) are better off as a button.

The case itself won't be that much more complicated either, just one big hole instead of many small odd-shaped or rectangular holes for the buttons. You will also need more space on the LCD or some way of telling which mode the meter is in.

It is easier to make a button-only multimeter meet IP or Ex standards, though the Fluke 28-II proves both is possible even with a range switch. IP67 is reasonable, as is the Ex rating.
I wouldn't mind an IP68 Ex-rated action multimeter for extreme scuba diving pyrotechnics engineers though.  :-+
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 02:01:44 pm by X »

Offline nickdepinet

• Supporter
« Reply #192 on: June 16, 2017, 02:15:35 pm »

This leak got you at least one more supporter  :-DD

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #193 on: June 16, 2017, 02:50:35 pm »

No it wouldn't, as you'd need a lot more electronics to handle the switching that a multi-pole rotary switch does.

I would tend to agree - but one thing that I find curious...  If push buttons are so good, why are there so many meters out there with rotary switches?

BTW - I'd go for a rotary switch every time for a hand-held meter I'd be using daily.

Push buttons are OK for a bench meter.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2017, 02:52:24 pm by Brumby »

Offline Free_WiFi

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #194 on: June 16, 2017, 03:06:45 pm »
I would tend to agree - but one thing that I find curious...  If push buttons are so good, why are there so many meters out there with rotary switches?

Maybe because is begin to be an common mainstream ???
I dont know ,but i still prefer the buttons ,because they can ensure more time-life instead of etched traces on the pcb for the mechanical switcher ......
Im fascinating by the MTX 3292 design ,i think that when i get enough money that would be my 1st pro handled multimeter.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #195 on: June 16, 2017, 03:24:11 pm »

Maybe because is begin to be an common mainstream ???
I dont know ,but i still prefer the buttons ,because they can ensure more time-life instead of etched traces on the pcb for the mechanical switcher ......
Im fascinating by the MTX 3292 design ,i think that when i get enough money that would be my 1st pro handled multimeter.
The DMM market is very conservative - look how similar todays DMMs are to those of 20 years ago.
Aside from the convenience of switching multiple circuits with minmal loss, leakage and damage sensitivity, there are some practical reasons.
It's easier to operate a rotary switch with gloves on. It provides visual and tactile feedback of function - this could be a safety issue - e.g. accidentally testing whether a mains circuit was live with the meter unintentionally set to DCV, resulting in a false low reading.

As regards lifetime, the switch on my Fluke 87III is just starting to get flaky after something like 25 years of daily use. Clearly not an issue. 
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Brumby

• Supporter
« Reply #196 on: June 16, 2017, 03:36:01 pm »
Speaking of safety ... I have yet to accidentally change ranges with a rotary switch.

Push buttons are all too easy to be operated unintentionally.

Who here has NEVER had the face of their meter come into contact with another object?

The following users thanked this post: Tom45

Offline Crumble

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #197 on: June 16, 2017, 06:36:22 pm »
I would assume the current inputs have different connections, and the other ranges are sufficiently protected agains high voltages, so no change in setting will cause any problems. Personally I am not opposed to button interfaces, but it will require a decent implementation, which might be difficult. I recently used an old non-autoranging meter, and it is a pain when you don't know what kind of voltage you are about to see. You'll have to poke into the PCB, arguably using both hands, and change ranges if there is either 0V or OL on the screen. It gets a chore quite quickly, especially when any accuracy is required.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #198 on: June 16, 2017, 07:09:46 pm »
I think you still need a physical switch to choose the function, i.e. disconnect ohms current source, read voltage off shunt for A/D etc.
I see two multimeter areas of use - on the bench and out in the field, on site.
Tiny multifunction buttons with tiny font I can't read, like Agilent/Keysight multimeters, does not work in the field where it's dark, raining, full sun etc.

I would want a function switch- imagine reading HV and button press changes to ohms. Foof.

Offline brainwash

• Frequent Contributor
    • Hack Correlation
« Reply #199 on: June 16, 2017, 08:23:56 pm »
Didn't want to start a new topic and I couldn't find an existing one about the 121GW multimeter.
I saw the Joe Smith test with it and it left a good impression on me. However some comments left a sour taste, don't understand if it's the same person or different ones, badgering the same issue to death: "200-ish$, needs more buttons, cannot stand 2kV, FAIL". What the hell is wrong? I don't think there's anything on the market that has power (VA) measurement and data logging at that price point and precision, let alone SD card and bluetooth. The only product that comes to mind is the Mooshimeter, which is a bit of a toy, and costs 125$.

I mean, I paid 80 EUR for a refurbished bench multimeter from the 80s just because it had a recent calibration and it has only basic features with manual ranging.
I bought one Mastech just to play with it but it's a piece of junk, same feeling about Uni-T as well. I'd rather have 10 of those freebies with transistor tester and one or two decent meters for field or accurate usage. So maybe I don't understand the issue or some Uni-T fanboys are being triggered by Dave.

Sorry, just had to let this out somewhere.

If I have one suggestion, is that it can be set up to default to continuity test on the ohms range and to DC on voltage range.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf