Author Topic: New MicSig/EEVblog DP10007 HV Differential Probe  (Read 46864 times)

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
New MicSig/EEVblog DP10007 HV Differential Probe
« on: December 14, 2020, 02:24:34 am »
I've got a potential new prototype high voltage differential probe to replace the Sapphire HVP70 probe which is very nice probe, but it's very expensive. New one is significantly cheaper.
It's almost exactly the same specs.
100MHz, x10/x100
3.5ns
70V/700V max CATT II 600V CAT1 1000V
Input referred noise <15mVrms 10X, <60mVrms 100X
8Mohms/1.25pF diff
4M/2.5pF to ground
USB powered.

Will post comparison tests with the HVP70 as the reference.
If you want anything specific tested let me know.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 02:59:16 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, CDN_Torsten, AVGresponding, RafaPolit

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: New EEVblog HV Probe
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2020, 02:47:15 am »
HV probe or a HV Differential probe ?
That's not entirely clear for anyone stumbling into here.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: New EEVblog HV Probe
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2020, 02:56:54 am »
HV probe or a HV Differential probe ?

Differential.

The following users thanked this post: tautech, WattsThat

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: New MicSig/EEVblog DP10007 HV Differential Probe
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2020, 03:01:02 am »
Just realised it's actually been released, so I'll now provide details.
http://www.micsig.com/html/41.html#
It's the DP10007, and Micsig designed this one at my request to match the Sapphire HVP70 specs and x10/x100 ranges which I think are more useful for mains and lower voltage use.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2020, 03:03:12 am by EEVblog »

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, Brumby, jjoonathan, 2N3055, Jacon, BreakingOhmsLaw, Dakkahun, rernexy

Offline tonyh88

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2020, 04:43:39 am »
Certainly looks promising and very good price. Looking forward to the showdown

Offline bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2020, 05:16:23 am »
I'd like to see tests of noise, CMRR and gain accuracy at high voltages.

Can it be CAT II/1000V if it only works up to 700Vpk?
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2020, 05:45:28 am »
... Micsig designed this one at my request to match the Sapphire HVP70 specs and x10/x100 ranges which I think are more useful for mains and lower voltage use.

YESSS  :clap:

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2020, 01:52:12 pm »
No kidding? I actually got mine in the mail the other day.. thought it was a nice addition when i saw it a few weeks ago

Works pretty nice

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2020, 02:45:35 pm »
Would be interested to see a frequency response measurement of this new model - my DP10013s had some pretty bad peaking at around 70MHz due to the input lead L & C (varies a bit based on how twisted the leads are). In the end I shortened mine to move the peaking frequency a bit higher where it gets rolled-off a bit by the probe's inherent bandwidth limit. This actually caused real issues when measuring stuff - I saw extreme ringing on an edge that was mostly an artefact (there was some moderate ringing in reality, but being smack bang in the middle of the probe's response peak made it look much worse).

Am also keen to see inside one to see if they have improved the design or just changed the ratio - it certainly had some opportunities for improvements, especially around the gain switching section, though it was hard to argue about the value proposition.

Offline Keith956

• Regular Contributor
    • peardrop design systems
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2020, 08:01:06 pm »
It's the DP10007, and Micsig designed this one at my request to match the Sapphire HVP70 specs and x10/x100 ranges which I think are more useful for mains and lower voltage use.

I've got a DP10013 and the biggest issue I have is the red/black input leads which are hardwired to the probe body. It would be much nicer to have 4mm sockets on the probe so you can connect whatever you like rather than use the supplied accessories which are large and clunky and make the 100MHz spec a joke.

For 1kV the test leads might be ok but for low voltages like the DP10007 targets they are way too clunky.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, Jacon, CDN_Torsten, Elasia

Offline S. Petrukhin

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: December 20, 2020, 12:05:38 am »
Sorry for the distraction.  :palm:

I needed to investigate the phase voltage in 3 phases and I made a very cheap high-voltage isolated 3-channel differential probe. :bullshit:

And sorry for my English.

Offline cowasaki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #11 on: December 22, 2020, 09:35:41 pm »
When will it be available?  When will it be available from the supplier that covers the UK.......  Sorry forgotten his name at the moment

Offline Elasia

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: December 22, 2020, 10:24:21 pm »
When will it be available?  When will it be available from the supplier that covers the UK.......  Sorry forgotten his name at the moment

Looks like backorder of a week from this UK shop.. not surprising, most stock has seemed to have been sucked up already

https://www.rigol-uk.co.uk/product/micsig-dp10007-high-voltage-differential-probe/

Ebay has some

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Micsig-Oscilloscope-High-Voltage-Differential-Probe-Kit-DP10007-700V-100MHz-New/254774021198

Offline rernexy

• Contributor
« Reply #13 on: December 23, 2020, 07:41:31 am »
an Australian micsig distributor appvision added them (today?) for AUD 295 ex GST, so AUD 324.50 retail.
But they state a 2 week lead time.

https://appvision.com.au/index.php?id_product=536&id_product_attribute=0&rewrite=high-voltage-differential-probe-100mhz-1300v&controller=product

Offline cowasaki

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2020, 09:10:55 am »

Looks like backorder of a week from this UK shop.. not surprising, most stock has seemed to have been sucked up already

https://www.rigol-uk.co.uk/product/micsig-dp10007-high-voltage-differential-probe/

Ebay has some

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Micsig-Oscilloscope-High-Voltage-Differential-Probe-Kit-DP10007-700V-100MHz-New/254774021198

Thanks.  I found them late last night.  I'll order some in January.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #15 on: December 23, 2020, 11:43:57 am »
an Australian micsig distributor appvision added them (today?) for AUD 295 ex GST, so AUD 324.50 retail.
But they state a 2 week lead time.
https://appvision.com.au/index.php?id_product=536&id_product_attribute=0&rewrite=high-voltage-differential-probe-100mhz-1300v&controller=product

That's pricey. I should be able to sell it for AU$250 or under.

The following users thanked this post: Kean, Jacon, wolfy007, NoisyBoy, rernexy

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2020, 11:57:24 am »
Dave, do you have the flexibility to influence the design ? Please, make them do the "banana style" for the input, instead attached fixed probe wires.

Like this example ... and please ask them to make it using standard banana plug spacing.

This leave user with flexibility to use different probe/wiring styles, for example using these below and/or other many possibilities.

The following users thanked this post: Jacon, Trader

Offline CDN_Torsten

• Regular Contributor
  • Professional electron whisperer
« Reply #17 on: December 23, 2020, 12:00:15 pm »
BravoV - fully agree.  The fixed leads are terrible.  Way too bulky for certain applications and frequently requires some sort of extension or adapter...ends up looking like a dog's breakfast.

Offline wolfy007

• Regular Contributor
  • Back into electronics again, as a hobby this time.
« Reply #18 on: December 23, 2020, 12:02:24 pm »
Damn, was just looking at that one yesterday and emailed the local Micsig dealer about it and pricing.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #19 on: December 23, 2020, 12:16:28 pm »
BravoV - fully agree.  The fixed leads are terrible.  Way too bulky for certain applications and frequently requires some sort of extension or adapter...ends up looking like a dog's breakfast.

Worst, as the HV probe usually was used in HV environment that are harsh, rough and tough places like generator set, big motor or big thru hole components that may be hot, not the type of probing condition that you're going to use like in low voltage SMD board that usually done at bench top.

And at the rough places, usually after a while. the cables are doomed either get crushed, bent like hell, chipped, touched hot part like heatsink and etc, and ended with ugly and probably unsafe probe cables to work with.

With banana style input, we just throw away the cables and buy a new one, instead of the head-ache have to open the probe body, find a suitable cables, de-solder and solder the replacement cables and etc, totally a ship wreck.  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Jacon, CDN_Torsten

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2020, 12:35:20 pm »
Dave, do you have the flexibility to influence the design ? Please, make them do the "banana style" for the input, instead attached fixed probe wires.

Like this example ... and please ask them to make it using standard banana plug spacing.

That would require all new tooling and maybe new PCB, and that's not cheap.
They would likely do it for a big enough MOQ, so might be talking a 6 figure order here.
I doubt they'll do on their own dime. The existing units are and selling, and selling well it seems. There is nothing in it for them to redo the design at this point.
If you are that keen, chop the leads off and fit your own plugs maybe?

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2020, 12:56:25 pm »
They would likely do it for a big enough MOQ, so might be talking a 6 figure order here.
I doubt they'll do on their own dime. The existing units are and selling, and selling well it seems. There is nothing in it for them to redo the design at this point.

As expected, still doesn't address my pet peeve about this.  ::)

Its like these HV probe designers never worked in truly rough environment on probing HV, its like their limit of imagination when using this kind of probe is just for probing mains voltage at USB charger circuit only, cozily on bench table.  :palm:

The following users thanked this post: Jacon

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #22 on: December 26, 2020, 09:27:05 am »

Its like these HV probe designers never worked in truly rough environment on probing HV, its like their limit of imagination when using this kind of probe is just for probing mains voltage at USB charger circuit only, cozily on bench table.  :palm:

Technically this x10/x100 model is designed to do just that. It's not designed for high energy hgih voltage industrial applications.

Offline BravoV

• Super Contributor
  • +++ ATH1
« Reply #23 on: December 26, 2020, 11:16:16 am »
Its my wish, that should someday, if .. you managed to sit down with manufacturer to role out a new HV diff. probe, you are aware of this idea, or at least send it MigSig team, "hopefully" they will consider this design for their next iteration if any.

Yeah, wishful thinking.  ::)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #24 on: December 26, 2020, 11:52:46 am »

Technically this x10/x100 model is designed to do just that. It's not designed for high energy hgih voltage industrial applications.
If that is the case then it makes even more sense to leave the leads off. On my Pintek differential probes I use a BNC to banana adapter so I can connect a BNC cable or a standard 1:1 probe to the input every now and then to make a floating measurement. Much more convenient compared to using the thick leads.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2020, 11:54:52 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf