Author Topic: New eevblog multimeter?  (Read 28937 times)

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: New eevblog multimeter?
« Reply #175 on: August 23, 2020, 10:17:45 am »
So what's the deal with this new meter?
As I said, it "just appeared", I had absolutely no input to it nor knowledge of it. If you want to know why they did it, it seems like they want to extend their 500 series line with a higher end meter. Predominately sold in China I believe, but could be in other markets.
http://www.kanetest.com.cn/category.php?id=36
http://www.kanetest.com.cn/goods.php?id=109

They decided to take the 121GW and put it in a bigger case, up the CAT rating, add true power measurement, motor measurement etc
Also, it's supposed to solve the DC offset issue by using separate AVC and DCV ranges.
The exiting line already had Bluetooth.
They kept stuff like the SD card logging, low burden, but dropped the 15V diode mode.
I had no idea they even had these existing designs.

That's a pity. This is one of the features I'm using a lot (checking LEDs and Zener diodes).
How much space is this part occupying on the board? Did they removed it for cost reasons?

I have Metrix meter that has normal and zener mode (27V /10 mA) in diode test mode..
I use it all the time. I do a lot of LED displays and it allows me to test full segment of 5 serialy connected LED in one go..
I wouldn't want to give up that function..
It's a shame they dropped that, that was, to me and my work, more important than low dropout...

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #176 on: August 23, 2020, 10:46:31 am »
I have Metrix meter that has normal and zener mode (27V /10 mA) in diode test mode..

Wow, which model is that?

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #177 on: August 23, 2020, 10:48:38 am »
MTX3293/3292
26V 10mA  : ;)

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 10:51:21 am by Wytnucls »

The following users thanked this post: Marco1971

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #178 on: August 23, 2020, 10:55:28 am »
MTX3293/3292

Metrix still make meters?  :o

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #179 on: August 23, 2020, 10:57:05 am »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #180 on: August 23, 2020, 11:02:27 am »
https://www.chauvin-arnoux.com/en

Urgh, THIS is a Metrix.
Oh boy did I lust after one of those when I first saw the centerfold in the magazine  ;D

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #181 on: August 23, 2020, 11:07:26 am »
MTX3293/3292

Yes, MTX3293..
Very nice advanced meter. Goes through batteries like a Russian tank, but they are rechargeable...

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #182 on: August 23, 2020, 11:10:27 am »
https://www.chauvin-arnoux.com/en

Urgh, THIS is a Metrix.
Oh boy did I lust after one of those when I first saw the centerfold in the magazine  ;D

Yep that was very good meter.... They used them a lot (in addition to Fluke) in local oil refineries (yes plural, we had two in the area...) ..

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
« Reply #183 on: August 23, 2020, 11:33:17 am »
Current models are:

MTX 3292B
MTx 3293B

Here is a technical datasheet:
http://www.ics-schneider.de/media/pdf/products/MTX3290_3291_3292_3293_Datasheet_EN.pdf
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #184 on: August 23, 2020, 11:38:49 am »
They cost as much like Gossen .... loll  I just hate the leads position on the top.

The old mx5x series are software calibrable, ask Chauvin Arnoux and in some cases "if not already available on their web site", they will sent it to you, like they did
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 11:41:08 am by coromonadalix »

Online coromonadalix

• Super Contributor
« Reply #185 on: August 23, 2020, 11:54:38 am »
So what's the deal with this new meter?
As I said, it "just appeared", I had absolutely no input to it nor knowledge of it. If you want to know why they did it, it seems like they want to extend their 500 series line with a higher end meter. Predominately sold in China I believe, but could be in other markets.
http://www.kanetest.com.cn/category.php?id=36
http://www.kanetest.com.cn/goods.php?id=109

They decided to take the 121GW and put it in a bigger case, up the CAT rating, add true power measurement, motor measurement etc
Also, it's supposed to solve the DC offset issue by using separate AVC and DCV ranges.
The exiting line already had Bluetooth.
They kept stuff like the SD card logging, low burden, but dropped the 15V diode mode.
I had no idea they even had these existing designs.

That's a pity. This is one of the features I'm using a lot (checking LEDs and Zener diodes).
How much space is this part occupying on the board? Did they removed it for cost reasons?

I use it all the time. I do a lot of LED displays and it allows me to test full segment of 5 serialy connected LED in one go..
I wouldn't want to give up that function..
It's a shame they dropped that, that was, to me and my work, more important than low dropout...

It's a 121gw  rip off in a sense

I think Dave made a point

This thread as gone long enough, the 150$ meter thread has gone down, and at first i was not sure if this thread was about the 150$ or something else,  came down to the 121gw design issues and there are existing/pinned threads about it ???

« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 12:07:32 pm by coromonadalix »

Offline rsjsouza

• Super Contributor
  • Eternally curious
    • Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico
« Reply #186 on: August 23, 2020, 12:26:17 pm »
Yes, a bit ironic that the famous TE reviewer that's picked holes in equipment for the last decade is not happy when the heat is turned up on his product.

I could easily have instantly shut down any comment or discussion over the years, but have I ever done so? No, never.
You'd be a hypocrite if you did.

But what I won't tolerate is people, regardless of the contributions they have made, continue to constantly make snide remarks and derail and pollute otherwise useful technical threads. There are several people that constantly do that, and they are continuing to do it again in this thread.
Put yourself in their position Dave, they've invested good coin in one of your products and been disappointed in it for one reason or another of which AFAIK some potentially dangerous issues are still not addressed.

Snide remarks as you put or 'pointers' to flaws of many products and brands abound in this forum with advice of what to apply a 40' barge pole to are frequent yet subtle warnings about your products should be exempt ?  :-//

This facet of the forum is allowed to prosper to the point where members signatures denigrate brands and you turn a blind eye to it like control of it could be conceived as moderation of free speech.
The continuous bashing is par for the course; the snide, gratuitous and sarcasm are par for the course. But so as pushing back or retorting the actors that are propagating this. That will become the norm for years to come. It is how I see this back-and-forth between Dave and his most fervent public detractors.

Regarding bashing, I am pretty sure you can relate to that, tautech, as you also had very heated discussions with more than one member that spent spent real money on a product and keeps (or kept) bashing the brand furiously against the manufacturer's terrible attitudes and design flaws - even as recently as the SDS1104X-E release and its missing capacitors.

Despite I agree with the frustration brought with the high expectations that a meter from Dave would "rule them all", as I mentioned in another thread, the 121GW had an unprecedent open design and major changes (such as the main processor) were made and publicly reported. Throughout this process I was also releasing a product and could relate to how difficult it was to have such public scrutiny during the design phase.

If anything can be learned from these discussions is that the 121GW benefited greatly from this "public shaming".
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 05:56:06 pm by rsjsouza »
Vbe - vídeo blog eletrônico http://videos.vbeletronico.com

Oh, the "whys" of the datasheets... The information is there not to be an axiomatic truth, but instead each speck of data must be slowly inhaled while carefully performing a deep search inside oneself to find the true metaphysical sense...

Offline chronos42

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #187 on: August 23, 2020, 01:39:41 pm »
I don't see any used 121GW available on eBay or anywhere else at the moment, so have to assume that most owners are happy with their purchase.

I sold mine 121GW at eBay bevor some weeks...... :-DD

And yes, other companies also had some problems with their instruments. But they fixed the (most) issues or even scrapped complete production-batches therefore. We are discussing since years about the 121GW issues mostly without any progress.
And it shows: To have some really good ideas for a product is one thing. (The 121GW has a lot of good  features without any doubt) To bring this to flawless work is another thing and that is much more tricky.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 01:44:42 pm by chronos42 »

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #188 on: August 23, 2020, 02:16:33 pm »
Is that the only one 'aus Deutschland', that was sold for 95 Euros in May?
Should have got a refund from Dave instead, if that's the one.

Gossen makes some great meters, but they are rather expensive and often prone to lockup in a strong magnetic field. I don't think that has been fixed yet.

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #189 on: August 23, 2020, 03:28:49 pm »

Gossen makes some great meters, but they are rather expensive and often prone to lockup in a strong magnetic field. I don't think that has been fixed yet.

I've only evaluated that Ultra which had a pretty obvious design flaw with the lack of shielding.  I would have thought that the latching relays was unique to this product but from your post is sounds like they have been having problems with other models.  Odd as Dave has reviewed them and it was never mentioned.   My Ultra never locked up.   Gossen never did respond to my question about the reason for the Ultra's name change and if they had actually improved the product. 

Offline chronos42

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #190 on: August 23, 2020, 03:35:14 pm »

Yep, that was this one aus Deutschland. I had this meter some years, it was from an early batch (still with the famous 4007 Diodes), so no way for a refund. It was very seldom used, I only miss the 15V diode testfunktion, but a peak atlas ZEN50 tester now does this job.
And yes, I am aware oft the "strong magnetig field" problem, that some Gossen meters have, first found by Joe. (Including my Metrahit Energy)  But the Gossen meters are not the only one with the relais issue. My Agilent 1252B also has a relais, that can be forced to switch with an external magnet. And I am sure that there are some more meters with this issue. Except you are working near cryostatic magnets or high power transformers, this should not be a real world problem.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2020, 03:38:38 pm by chronos42 »

Offline joeqsmith

• Super Contributor
« Reply #191 on: August 23, 2020, 04:00:07 pm »

Yep, that was this one aus Deutschland. I had this meter some years, it was from an early batch (still with the famous 4007 Diodes), so no way for a refund. It was very seldom used, I only miss the 15V diode testfunktion, but a peak atlas ZEN50 tester now does this job.
And yes, I am aware oft the "strong magnetig field" problem, that some Gossen meters have, first found by Joe. (Including my Metrahit Energy)  But the Gossen meters are not the only one with the relais issue. My Agilent 1252B also has a relais, that can be forced to switch with an external magnet. And I am sure that there are some more meters with this issue. Except you are working near cryostatic magnets or high power transformers, this should not be a real world problem.

While talking with owners of Chauvin Arnoux products, it seems they also use latching relays in some of their products.   With my Gossen Ultra, even a magnetic hanger was enough to cause it to change states.   The 121 was very sensitive to alternating magnetic fields in the 60Hz range.  Unlike the Gossen that could latch into a state where it may not display proper voltage levels, the 121 would just wander.   

Offline chronos42

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #192 on: August 23, 2020, 04:21:01 pm »
As I said, the Agilent 1252b also uses one latching relay in the AC/DC path. A lot of older Philips/Fluke scopemeters also in the attenuater circuit.

Offline MiroS

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #193 on: August 23, 2020, 07:02:56 pm »
Looking arround I found some mutimeters, they are not known to me at all.
They cover wide range of products, probably made in India and rebranded, most interesting for me is  NP15B:
https://www.lumel.com.pl/en/catalogue/categories/multimetry

I do not know anyone who had experience with them. 
For me a bit interestining, they suppose to have local reapir service and development lab.
At the and this is EU , so potential customers are protected by EU  law.  It looks like this comany is owned by  Rishabh Instruments .
https://rishabh.co.in/products/13/digital-multimeter
Some opticaly are similar to  Metrahit.

Offline MiroS

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #194 on: August 23, 2020, 07:26:15 pm »
Yep that was very good meter.... They used them a lot (in addition to Fluke) in local oil refineries (yes plural, we had two in the area...) ..

I own three of Chauvin-Arnoux, thay are old, but still are OK.

Higher end multimeters are looking like tricorders  from Star Treck, but unfortunately they are not offering similar functionality :)

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #195 on: August 23, 2020, 09:13:57 pm »
Regarding bashing, I am pretty sure you can relate to that, tautech, as you also had very heated discussions with more than one member that spent spent real money on a product and keeps (or kept) bashing the brand furiously against the manufacturer's terrible attitudes and design flaws - even as recently as the SDS1104X-E release and its missing capacitors.
Yes however with events this year and better public understanding (thanks Dave) of Siglent's capture memory management strategy Nico's concerns from way back then are diminished as we all better understand each others POV. Such are the difficulties of getting points properly understood when not in our native language.  :(

BTW, not seen Nico around lately, hope he's alright and not got this terrible Covid thing.

Oh, and about the excluded caps in early releases of SDS1202X-E, it wasn't SDS1104X-E !
I made my thoughts clear at the time how Siglent needed to fix that but the US manager at the time couldn't/wouldn't enact the processes to make it happen so to this day we still have embittered ex customers.  :(

Anyways, enough OT, over and out.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: rsjsouza

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #196 on: August 24, 2020, 07:12:29 am »
The specs for the UEI DM525 are already available. From this it looks like the new meter uses the digital RMS part instead of the extra AD8436 - a totally sensible decision: the main downsides I see is lower bandwidth and it looks like slightly higher power consumption.

The case design really looks like a rip off - take it as a complement   :clap:.

Offline CDaniel

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #197 on: August 24, 2020, 08:26:27 am »
That meter is for electricians working primary on mains stuff , so AC bandwitdh is low , maybe 1KHz  . It is compared to Fluke 179

Offline Wytnucls

• Super Contributor
« Reply #198 on: August 24, 2020, 08:30:22 am »
Lower bandwidth?
20kHz is rather high for a 6000 count multimeter (2%+20). (Highest of all 6000 count multimeters actually)
It must have an external true RMS to DC converter.
5kHz on amps.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2020, 09:13:41 am by Wytnucls »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #199 on: August 24, 2020, 08:50:18 am »
The specs for the UEI DM525 are already available. From this it looks like the new meter uses the digital RMS part instead of the extra AD8436

Nope, uses the AD8436.
Schematic is very similar to the 121GW, it's based mostly on that design.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf