Author Topic: New GW Instek GDS-3654A/3354A - when will we see them?  (Read 4691 times)

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
Re: New GW Instek GDS-3654A/3354A - when will we see them?
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2021, 08:40:12 pm »
Given that the GDS-2000 has a 800x600 resolution, it would be extremely odd that a much higher grade new scope would have an even lower resolution of 800x480. While it's hard to tell exactly from the poor resolution photo, off-hand the selection of what they chose to show as content on the photo of the GDS-3354A I would think would start looking chunky if it was 800x480. So my money's on it being either 800x600 or perhaps 1024x600.

Any idea what that 3x4 matrix of controls is at the top right?

I do like that form-factor. I really wish Siglent would have been willing to extend the case horizontally to improve the controls.

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #26 on: August 04, 2021, 08:58:21 pm »
Actually, the GDS-3354 shown in that image looks like it's slightly downscaled.  Here's the same image when I upscale the GDS-3354 so that the BNC connector diameters are about the same size:

You can see that the display really is about 10 inches, given that the MDO-2000 scope's display is 8 inches.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #27 on: August 04, 2021, 09:07:02 pm »

Number pad, good for spectrum analyzer or AWG use (hm maybe no AWG though).

Video: https://www.bilibili.com/s/video/BV16v41177Lb
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 09:09:42 pm by thm_w »
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Offline 5q5rTopic starter

• Contributor
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2021, 08:35:06 am »

Number pad, good for spectrum analyzer or AWG use (hm maybe no AWG though).

Video: https://www.bilibili.com/s/video/BV16v41177Lb

Ooh, nice! An actual version of it in the wild! It can't be THAT long before they actually start selling them then, I guess. 😊

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2021, 08:44:56 am »
The GDS3000A series is a whole lot bigger indeed and in the video it also says 800x480. Not sure whether the resolution is a big issue though. It is just that pixels are more visible. Using an 8x8 font on a 10" 1920x1024 screen is not going to be readable so in the end you end up using the same amount of display area to show something. Last year I used a 7" 1024x600 display in a HMI project. The result is a display with fantastic looking text and graphics. But from a functional point I could have used a 400x240 display as well.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline ITTSB.Europe

• Contributor
  • !
    • Industrial Test Tools Scoreboard
« Reply #30 on: August 05, 2021, 10:37:00 am »
The GDS3000A this is four single channel oscilloscope in to a single box.
Its true that as design alone this is a decade old, and will keep serving well for measuring and or inspection of four different DC/DC PSU by a single scope.
You can read the currently available user manual so to discover of what it can do.

The remake version this is made with enough bandwidth so the GDS3000A to become further compatible with a fresh electrical application.
GW Instek this is not after to impress, but to make money.

Bandwidth alone this is a pointer to EV charging station with four outputs.
The larger screen will be also appreciated.
More memory will be also appreciated.
Wfms/s this is enough for the 650MHz bandwidth.

Experts at the use of oscilloscopes, even the best in electronic repairs, they will never need such a beast.

Speculations:
a) if the fresh scope this is a build to order plan ( a company ordered all ready 500 of them) then the marketing will do slower steps in favor of promotion.
b) if the fresh scope this is a way for GW Instek to be in the news? and seek for  fresh customers, beginning of October they will start their inner campaign.

Offline ITTSB.Europe

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2021, 11:08:36 am »
Given that the GDS-2000 has a 800x600 resolution, it would be extremely odd that a much higher grade new scope would have an even lower resolution of 800x480. While it's hard to tell exactly from the poor resolution photo, off-hand the selection of what they chose to show as content on the photo of the GDS-3354A I would think would start looking chunky if it was 800x480. So my money's on it being either 800x600 or perhaps 1024x600.

I do like that form-factor. I really wish Siglent would have been willing to extend the case horizontally to improve the controls.

The beast has several GUI modes, single wave review and four scopes mode (screen gets divided in four squares).
I know of how the current four scopes mode GUI looks.
Just of curiosity, I would like to see and the modern version.

Offline AaronLee

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2021, 12:01:51 pm »
Using an 8x8 font on a 10" 1920x1024 screen is not going to be readable so in the end you end up using the same amount of display area to show something.
But unfortunately there's enough GUI designers that don't take into consideration whether something is readable or not for the majority. If the designer can read it, it's good to go. That's the one disadvantage of having a high res screen combined with an amateur GUI designer. Not trying to imply anything about the GUI designer for GW Instek, just making a statement in general about GUI designs.

What I'd really like to see is something where you could select a normal or a large font scheme, and maybe do away with some information in the large font scheme. Such as date and time for me isn't at all necessary, and some other information could be made available by toggling some button or such. But of course, making two different font schemes means basically making two different GUIs, which means a lot more man hours in designing the product, so I'm not holding my breath to see it anytime soon.

If I really wanted to, and the scope had HDMI output, I could connect it to a large HDMI monitor and then should have no problems seeing everything, but then it takes up a lot more space on my bench. Which brings up a good point - I wonder if this scope has HDMI output.

Offline ITTSB.Europe

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2021, 05:58:39 pm »
If I really wanted to, and the scope had HDMI output, I could connect it to a large HDMI monitor and then should have no problems seeing everything, but then it takes up a lot more space on my bench. Which brings up a good point - I wonder if this scope has HDMI output.

I am enjoying a local heatwave and lots of free time, because with 35C indoor its best and wiser to move only my fingers.  :)

For your information, GDS2000A for example (regular scope) accepts Add-on card at the back with VGA & LAN capability.
When I will get older, I will buy the add-on card. 8)

GDS-3000 this is unique and patented technology.
It is made to host several GUI, and the newer one will have much more.
GDS300 (portable scope) its a good example of how an number of dedicated apps they can maximize the best easy to use experience of the hardware.

They will add dedicated:
a) GUI for the logic analyzer, and as dedicated one, it will not display unwanted information's
b)  GUI for the spectrum analyzer
c)  GUI for the arbitrary waveform generator
d)  GUI for Power analysis = just refreshed
e)  GUI for four scope mode = just refreshed
f)   GUI for single waveform mode = just refreshed ( and appears at the video too).

I count six GUI so far.
Any person looking this measuring device from a distance, he will be unaware that this is actually sold as an oscilloscope.
There is no proper description for such a multi functions box, and I do prefer to name it as multi-beast   ;D

« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 06:00:30 pm by ITTSB.Europe »

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2021, 06:56:05 pm »
The GDS3000A series is a whole lot bigger indeed and in the video it also says 800x480. Not sure whether the resolution is a big issue though. It is just that pixels are more visible. Using an 8x8 font on a 10" 1920x1024 screen is not going to be readable so in the end you end up using the same amount of display area to show something. Last year I used a 7" 1024x600 display in a HMI project. The result is a display with fantastic looking text and graphics. But from a functional point I could have used a 400x240 display as well.

A higher resolution makes it possible to show things that you otherwise couldn't, at least without other compromises, if at all.

Whether that's useful or not depends on the nature of the instrument.  But seeing how this oscilloscope is essentially supposed to be a medium-performance Swiss Army knife type of scope, a higher resolution is most certainly warranted.  As I mentioned before, R&S shows how to make good use of increased resolution (see, e.g., how they do X-Y mode in their RTB-2000 series).

Doing it right requires a UI designer that knows what he's doing.  And why should that be a surprise?  Doing anything right requires that the person doing it know what he's doing.  That goes for the hardware, the underlying OS, the scope acquisition firmware, the analysis code, etc.  Everything.

People can say all they want how a higher resolution isn't "necessary".  Strictly speaking, that's true.  But strictly speaking, even less resolution is needed than is being used here.  It's not about what is necessary, it's about what is useful.  And higher resolution makes it possible to display things in a way that you can't reasonably do so with a lower resolution.  Just like more acquisition memory makes it possible to capture things in a way that you can't reasonably do so with less.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 09:31:19 pm by kcbrown »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #35 on: August 05, 2021, 07:20:08 pm »
So basically they made Keysight MSOX3000A (old one without touch screen) with a lots of memory, and better FFT...

That is not bad, but it is a missed opportunity to join into new generation of large screen touch scopes. Touch screen is better suited to manipulating lots of data..
So they are coming out with something that is one generation old even on release..

We'll just have to wait for it to be released to learn more.

Offline RafaPolit

« Reply #36 on: August 05, 2021, 07:38:00 pm »
I am reading this with kin interest. I have myself just bought a Keysight 1024 and new options on the horizon makes me wonder if I spent my money wisely.

But I must confess I am surprised to see that vendors and distributors are allowed to come in and down-talk other's equipment, falsely list specs claiming that, since there is no newer specs, they can only go with the old ones (which is frankly, absurd!, specially considering this is a thread about a yet-to-be-released product), and even more troubling: that they are supported by the community when they are thrown into the spotlight because "we need their support".

In most other forums I frequent, such vendors are mostly asked to keep only to promotional and support posts, obviously not to comment on other brand's equipment, but MOST IMPORTANTLY, to CLEARLY mark their profile as such so that people reading their posts know they come from "dubious" or "subjective" sources.

As it turns out, their "job" here appear to be to follow every post that is speaking about the competition and asking opinions throwing false claims or up-selling their own products instead of actually helping the OP make their decision or clear their doubts.  This is not the only thread where such a fight has come forward.

Just an open rant, hoping to see more useful info and less sales speeches from interested parties.

Rafa.

« Last Edit: August 05, 2021, 07:49:47 pm by RafaPolit »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: August 05, 2021, 08:44:59 pm »
I am reading this with kin interest. I have myself just bought a Keysight 1024 and new options on the horizon makes me wonder if I spent my money wisely.

But I must confess I am surprised to see that vendors and distributors are allowed to come in and down-talk other's equipment, falsely list specs claiming that, since there is no newer specs, they can only go with the old ones (which is frankly, absurd!, specially considering this is a thread about a yet-to-be-released product), and even more troubling: that they are supported by the community when they are thrown into the spotlight because "we need their support".

In most other forums I frequent, such vendors are mostly asked to keep only to promotional and support posts, obviously not to comment on other brand's equipment, but MOST IMPORTANTLY, to CLEARLY mark their profile as such so that people reading their posts know they come from "dubious" or "subjective" sources.

As it turns out, their "job" here appear to be to follow every post that is speaking about the competition and asking opinions throwing false claims or up-selling their own products instead of actually helping the OP make their decision or clear their doubts.  This is not the only thread where such a fight has come forward.

Just an open rant, hoping to see more useful info and less sales speeches from interested parties.

Rafa.

Well, you could discuss if you did, or not, spent your money wisely comparing your scope to the ones that cost the same.
This yet unreleased scope will probably cost much more than your scope. GW Instek is decent quality manufacturer but not exactly cheap. And this is scope 2 levels above 1000 series scopes.
You could argue if you would be better off if you have bought existing GDS2000E series, for instance...

And all said here is simply people discussing and frankly speculating. That is being pointed out many times.
Also some things ARE already known, from GW Instek own catalogue. Size and resolution of screen, memory size, sampling rates, detailed photo of front panel that clearly shows this is not touch screen scope (touch screen scopes need physical "Touch" button to enable/disable touch when not needed), which protocols are supported etc etc. Actually quite a lot of data is available. And it all point to fact that new GDS-3654A/3354A has GUI concept of older Keysight MSOX3000A and Tektronix MDO3000/4000 scopes. That is not a problem per se, just a statement. It is a bit old fashioned in it's design.
Which some people won't like and some will like it exactly because of that.

People have right to talk to manufacturers however they like. Manufacturers are businesses, and need to stand up to the scrutiny, listen to complaints and at the same time go out of their way to support people that give them money. There is no need for foul language and vulgarities, of course, but if people think some big company deserves critique , let them have it...

I don't care for Sinophobia, Xenophobia or similar sentiments though..

As far as I know, only person in this topic that sells equipment is Tautech, who clearly states it in his profile. I don't know the gentleman  from Greece, so I don't know about him. Everybody else, AFAIK, are simply people with a bit of time on their hands, that like shooting breeze about scopes.
So please, don't generalize before gathering all the facts.. In this forum "some people  here has stinky feet" type of talk is less preferred than "you Sir, need to wash your feet, because we can detect the aroma from the satellite".

So, to summarize, welcome Rafa, and hope you will find something interesting in this place..

Offline ITTSB.Europe

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #38 on: August 05, 2021, 11:16:36 pm »
So basically they made Keysight MSOX3000A (old one without touch screen) with a lots of memory, and better FFT...

That is not bad, but it is a missed opportunity to join into new generation of large screen touch scopes. Touch screen is better suited to manipulating lots of data..
So they are coming out with something that is one generation old even on release..

We'll just have to wait for it to be released to learn more.

:-DD

1) Keysight or anyone else, will get to jail if they copy this unique design.
2) Touch screen sucks big time, at least as way of controlling oscilloscope trigger, that is a micro-metric adjustment.
3) The added numeric keyboard, this is another innovation which removes for good the need for a cheap touchscreen.

You can not learn more if you do not learn first something from the current user manual.
If you do not find time so to waste at reading it, you will permanently be off topic.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #39 on: August 05, 2021, 11:20:36 pm »

A touch screen isn't exactly the holy grale. The numeric keypad can prove more useful if it can control all kinds of values. In fact GW Instek is pretty good at making highly productive/efficient DSO user interfaces.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online bdunham7

• Super Contributor
« Reply #40 on: August 06, 2021, 02:05:05 am »
In most other forums I frequent, such vendors are mostly asked to keep only to promotional and support posts,

No muzzles here, but if someone says something stupid they'll be called on it in no time.  Politely, of course--most of the time.

I wish more vendors would participate and I'm not sure why they don't see the value.  Nobody gets a free pass and the crowd can bit rough, but as the saying goes there's no such thing as bad publicity.  Unless the vendor just doesn't want to face the issues, any reply to a discussion of problems is helpful even if they can't please everyone. 
A 3.5 digit 4.5 digit 5 digit 5.5 digit 6.5 digit 7.5 digit DMM is good enough for most people.

Offline ITTSB.Europe

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #41 on: August 06, 2021, 05:19:28 pm »

Rafa.

Hi dear Rafa,
What brand of tool you own this is not of importance to me.
Proper selection of electrical test and measurement tools this is difficult, especially for people in denial to dive alone and read available documentation, even from tools that they will never buy = learn something new for educational purposes.

The significant brands, they hire people with the identification of applications engineer.
An applications engineer will combine his specialization along with products documentation and of his own new field experiences by the use of the actual product. 
Then he will pass to you the appropriate advice.
Therefore a Keysight applications engineer this is your man so to talk with.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #42 on: August 06, 2021, 06:14:57 pm »

Rafa.

Hi dear Rafa,
Proper selection of electrical test and measurement tools this is difficult, especially for people in denial to dive alone and read available documentation, even from tools that they will never buy = learn something new for educational purposes.

The significant brands, they hire people with the identification of applications engineer.
An applications engineer will combine his specialization along with products documentation and of his own new field experiences by the use of the actual product. 

Sounds great. Except that is PAID support...

Offline ITTSB.Europe

• Contributor
  • !
« Reply #43 on: August 06, 2021, 06:19:48 pm »

Rafa.

Hi dear Rafa,

Sounds great. Except that is PAID support...

It might be for free too, if you make the question before you buy.   :)

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf