Author Topic: New Hantek DSO2X1X models?  (Read 346506 times)

Offline AndrewBCN

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New Hantek DSO2X1X models?
« Reply #375 on: June 13, 2021, 11:41:02 am »
Andrew may i ask which version of the firmware you have as maybe better than my dso3kb_20210510
As stated above, I am still using the march 2020 firmware update, dso3kb_20210311.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 01:44:30 pm by AndrewBCN »

Offline bianchifan

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #376 on: June 13, 2021, 01:23:06 pm »
I was thinking of converting my one into a toilet brush!
I guess its not handy enough..;)
Bofore you do so, I'll take it for about 100€  :).

Indeed, I was thinking on buying one but was waiting do to the reported pbroblems with the usage of a large buffer.
Last night i must learn, the the Allwinner SOC was designed for some Kiddies toys, no GPU, no FPU
So I'll wait for some more monthsm, now its summer and the sun is shining  8)

@AndrewBCN
TNX for the hint!
Sunxi tools are installed on my Ubuntu 20.10, of course!

Offline AndrewBCN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #377 on: June 13, 2021, 02:00:37 pm »
That's useless. You can write to the ram, but not to the flash. Otherwise I wouldn't have spent the night on it!
DavidAlfa,
The boot rom (BROM) environment that FEL mode gives you access to is not the right place to mess with the SPI nand flash, as you have noticed.

What the BROM is useful for, is to load a recent version of u-boot, and from u-boot you can load the linux kernel and a root filesystem from a connected PC with a proper virtual console over USB OTG, and then you have tons of tools to examine/read/write/backup your SPI nand flash, all that without opening the DSO.

When/if I have the time (no guarantees of any kind) I'll prepare an image with u-boot, the Linux kernel, a DTB file and a root filesystem that can be loaded and started using sunxi-fel, based on the work of George Hilliard.

Offline SimonM

• Contributor
« Reply #378 on: June 13, 2021, 02:21:39 pm »
@imk

If you really think your Hantek DSO is "unfit for purposes as a scope" you should just return it and ask for a refund. In my case, it has been working flawlessly since I received it a few months ago. I am still on the march 2020 firmware update.

Since then I have gone deeper into the scope's features and functions and it is full of lockup bugs.

Either way, I am out of pocket as I will never get the busted scope returned to me and they never issue a refund.

This is a catch 22 situation for me, I have not overclocked or messed with the scope in any way other than do the less-than-perfect upgrade.

You have raised some interesting points.

If Hantek releases a new version of the firmware every 20 days, is it also possible that they are also frequently altering/tampering with the hardware? Perhaps putting the original code back would help alleviate some of the problems until they figure out how to stabilize it? The reference above is to March 2021 firmware?

I also didn't attempt to overclock or hack the unit to the next level, so I'm basically expecting it to work. My flawed logic was to take the 5000 series scopes and infer that the 2000 series would be as good but based upon newer hardware.

What was the "straw that broke the camel's back" for you?

Simon
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 01:16:01 am by SimonM »

Offline imk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #379 on: June 13, 2021, 02:26:36 pm »
Andrew may i ask which version of the firmware you have as maybe better than my dso3kb_20210510
As stated above, I am still using the march 2020 firmware update, dso3kb_20210311.

Andrew
I just installed 20210311 and see 3202 firmware.
In two previous versions dso3kb_20210416 and dso3kb_20210510 scope crashed when i selected Acquire->Mem Depth 8m in all the trigger modes i tried.
Scope would lockup, probe needed to be removed and scope  power cycled

I just did same test with dso3kb_20210311 and 8Mpt running just fine! with serial trigger 9600 bps 1 sec msg rep rate  :-)
Scope still has issues displaying UART serial decode in Sync mode but ok in monitor mode.

More testing to do, thanks for heads up :-)
imk
1201 Alarm

Offline imk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #380 on: June 13, 2021, 02:52:15 pm »
Simon,
Is Having to Power Cycle hardware to get it working again!
I can just about live with hitting a reset button, but the power switch is a No No.
As too many times in 60 years of electronics I have powered stuff off and when it came to powering it on again, I had to get the tools out :-(
Problem is if I smoke this scope it is likely to be total loss given the return issues.
I think in one of my early posts i asked about fitting a reset button to the scope.

Chk my previous post re falling back to  dso3kb_20210311 firmware. seems better :-)

As for your next scope i was chatting on another thread to distributer of Siglent equipment.
All seem to be very well tested, no warranty claims and good tech support.
So for you maybe either of the below, neither have a signal generator so maybe next project is to make one :-)
Based on https://www.analog.com/en/products/ad9833.html and Nextion  Display :-) is way i would go powered from re chargeable batteries

https://siglent.co.uk/product/siglent-sds1202x-e-super-phosphor-oscilloscope/
or
https://siglent.co.uk/product/siglent-sds1104x-u-4ch-100mhz-1gsa-s-14mpts-super-phosphor-oscilloscope/

Or sit it out and wait for Hantek to exonerate themselves with a completely bug free firmware release next week.
imk
BTW where in UK are you, i am in midlands now.

1201 Alarm

Offline QuitButton

• Contributor
« Reply #381 on: June 13, 2021, 06:06:36 pm »
...ad9833

I have one of those little chips. Its OK for the price but very limited and not very clean output once you get ~ >1Mhz sine.

If you want to spend a little, the "Feel Tech" FY2300 and its clones looks decent for the price, provided you accept its limits.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 06:12:09 pm by QuitButton »

Offline AndrewBCN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #382 on: June 13, 2021, 06:38:51 pm »

If Hantek releases a new version of the firmware every 20 days, is it also possible that they are also frequently altering/tampering with the hardware? Perhaps putting the original code back would help alleviate some of the problems until they figure out how to stabilize it? The reference above is to March 2021 firmware?
Simon
Hi Simon,
I don't think Hantek is changing the hardware that fast. Or even the firmware. I think we should just cool down a little bit and wait patiently for the next two or three firmware releases and see if Hantek is making some progress in ironing out the most obvious bugs.
In the meantime I have been using the DSO and it works well enough for my needs. Yes, I am using the march 11, 2021  firmware.

Offline QuitButton

• Contributor
« Reply #383 on: June 13, 2021, 07:34:01 pm »
...wait patiently for the next two or three firmware releases and see if Hantek is making some progress...

Hantek took 5 years or so to fix some of the bugs in the DSO5102P, so don't hold your breath waiting for fixes.

I've just uploaded dso3kb_20210601.upk to DavidAlfa's GDrive, which Hantek sent me. I didn't try it as by the time they replied I'd decided to return the scope. It could change your serial number as that's what I was emailing about at the time. 

Hantek have just replied to my question about the failed calibration asking for video to show the problem... so maybe they are unaware of this error and/or can't reproduce it or have made some hardware change to the newer versions that's causing this error on the ones we have/had.

Who knows.. and quite honestly who cares. I know I don't.  :popcorn:

« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 07:47:22 pm by QuitButton »

The following users thanked this post: eevbstedt

Offline imk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #384 on: June 13, 2021, 07:49:37 pm »
Andrew,

Waiting it out (firmware update) i think is my only option I have as my 30 day returning it windows has just about closed.
I to have moved back to dso3kb_20210311 and it seems better than the later two updates, although it crashed for me the third time i set Mem Depth 8m.
So as you know the hardware better than I, is there a way (chip leg) I can ground to cause a scope reset rather than have to power cycle it please?
If so i'll fix up a wire/button via one of the air vent holes and live with it until Hantek catch up
Thanks in advance imk
1201 Alarm

Offline AndrewBCN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #385 on: June 13, 2021, 08:55:58 pm »
DavidAlfa has provided a neat solution for the "DSO freeze bug": a watchdog daemon that monitors the phoenix process and relaunches it automatically.  :-+

Offline imk

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #386 on: June 13, 2021, 09:05:22 pm »
DavidAlfa has provided a neat solution for the "DSO freeze bug": a watchdog daemon that monitors the phoenix process and relaunches it automatically.  :-+
How do i implement this daemon  fix please?
1201 Alarm

Offline tttonyyy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #387 on: June 13, 2021, 10:14:56 pm »
...wait patiently for the next two or three firmware releases and see if Hantek is making some progress...
I've just uploaded dso3kb_20210601.upk to DavidAlfa's GDrive, which Hantek sent me. I didn't try it as by the time they replied I'd decided to return the scope. It could change your serial number as that's what I was emailing about at the time. 

Serial number unaffected by this update, but it did push the firmware version to to 3102 (previously I was on 3200) and I was left with a big offset on the second channel.  With no probe connection, adjusting the Y position resulted in random offsets on the trace.

Anyone got platform tools for 3200?
« Last Edit: June 13, 2021, 10:20:12 pm by tttonyyy »

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #388 on: June 13, 2021, 11:32:48 pm »
Try any platform-tools version. Then install dso3kb_20210510, which changes FW to 3200.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 12:01:29 am by DavidAlfa »
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

The following users thanked this post: tttonyyy

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #389 on: June 13, 2021, 11:58:42 pm »

Hantek took 5 years or so to fix some of the bugs in the DSO5102P, so don't hold your breath waiting for fixes.

Hantek have just replied to my question about the failed calibration asking for video to show the problem... so maybe they are unaware of this error and/or can't reproduce it or have made some hardware change to the newer versions that's causing this error on the ones we have/had.

Who knows.. and quite honestly who cares. I know I don't.  :popcorn:

Interesting. Was your's a DSO2C10? And that SN? Or is this some obscure hack?:
Code: [Select]
[machine]
       Model=250M$DSO2C10
       Vendor=hantek
       Product=DSO
       Manufacturer=hantek
       Serial=CN2104029002907
[version]
       Pcb=501.001.001.000.000.000.000.000
       Keyboard=1
[language]
       Lans=65535
       Language=3
[add]
       Start=0
       Update=0
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)

Offline SimonM

• Contributor
« Reply #390 on: June 14, 2021, 01:08:11 am »
I can accept slower operation for the price but not the "hangs" and power off/on to recover.

I will be (almost certainly) ordering a Siglent sds1104x-e from a UK distributor tomorrow (there is no rush, but I'm also not getting any younger). I will be making up the difference. Almost certainly the sds1104x-u or the sds1202x-e would both be more than adequate. I'm taking the opportunity to get 4-channels e.g. better for spi: clock, cs, miso and mosi.

Simon
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 01:10:50 am by SimonM »

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #391 on: June 14, 2021, 01:30:26 am »
I will be (almost certainly) ordering a Siglent sds1104x-e from a UK distributor tomorrow (there is no rush, but I'm also not getting any younger). I will be making up the difference. Almost certainly the sds1104x-u or the sds1202x-e would both be more than adequate. I'm taking the opportunity to get 4-channels e.g. better for spi: clock, cs, miso and mosi.
You can just use 2 channels with a Clock Timeout setting on one and either Miso or Mosi on the other.
Not perfect for sure but Siglent's 2ch DSO's will at least give a good peek at SPI.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #392 on: June 14, 2021, 04:19:02 am »
You can just use 2 channels with a Clock Timeout setting on one and either Miso or Mosi on the other.
Not perfect for sure but Siglent's 2ch DSO's will at least give a good peek at SPI.

Yes - the manual covers it (on page 99 of UM0101E-E05A July,2020). CS Type can be set to CLK Timeout for 2-channel scopes.

I'm buying for more than my current requirements. 2-channel would be fine, the 4-channel U version does not appear to have any lack of processing although the FFT (hardware-assisted) comes down from 1M to 128K (current scope is 1K) points, but that doesn't say if that's a marketing rather than a technical limitation. They both (all) use Zynq-7020 SoC - perhaps some models switched to using the single-core 7000s version to save $$$ ?

Marketing IMHO.
Breaking the holy grail of $400 for a true 100 MHz 4ch DSO would have been the target and loss of the 2nd ADC and its additional memory, MSO capability, rear USB A socket and a front end redesign and reuse of the X-E enclosure all helped Siglent to pull back the X-U price.

Obviously retention of 1 Mpts FFT, Bode plot and the webserver wouldn't provide sufficient differentiation between X-U and X-E for X-U to get a foothold in the marketplace or maintain sufficient sales volumes.

Initially I had mixed feelings about X-U however the market here in NZ has proven it has its place.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline tttonyyy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #393 on: June 14, 2021, 06:34:48 am »
I'm never sure I understood the reasoning for 4 channels just for SPI work. A logic analyser like the DSLogic Plus does a much better job than any scope in terms of advanced triggering and stacked protocol decoders (and can do QSPI, flavours of Manchester coding etc) all for a price that is less than the differential in cost between 2 and 4 channel scopes. And you can trigger your scope from the logic analyser if you really want to see the analogue aspect of a bus line.

I2C on the other hand, that has significant analogue elements associated with rise times (should be constant current source pull up, but of course everyone uses a resistor for cost reasons, making it more of an RC circuit). But then you only really need two channels for that on a scope.

Just some thoughts. 4 channels do add significant expense so it is worth assessing what you'll actually use them for.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 07:31:33 am by tttonyyy »

The following users thanked this post: AndrewBCN

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #394 on: June 14, 2021, 07:04:59 am »
Definitely, get the right tool for the job.
The AliExpress $4, 8ch, 24MHz analyzer will do way better.
No memory depth issues. No triggering issues. No messy controls.
A $1000 dso won't better, for that is just stupid

Offline tttonyyy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #395 on: June 14, 2021, 07:38:04 am »
Try any platform-tools version. Then install dso3kb_20210510, which changes FW to 3200.

Thank you for that.  Actually I only had to upgrade with dso3kb_20210510 (applied FW 3202) and then upgrade with dso3kb_20210416 (which does not apply any FW changes) and it's back to "working" in so far as the CH2 strange Y offset has disappeared.  Why Hantek ship upgrades without the "paired" associated firmware is bit of a mystery - surely they would want to guarantee the API between firmware and software remains in lock-step?

And as for why dso3kb_20210601 contains 3102 and not 3202 - did someone slip on the keyboard when they were making the upgrade?  :-//
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 07:40:53 am by tttonyyy »

Offline AndrewBCN

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #396 on: June 14, 2021, 08:47:21 am »
Why Hantek ship upgrades without the "paired" associated firmware...

Apparently this is because not all upgrade+firmware combinations work well with all hardware versions.

My suggestion is that people keep the original software + firmware versions that they got with their DSO in the first place and with caution apply only the upgrades that Hantek publishes on their website - not the ones that Hantek support sent by mail to solve a specific query by a specific user.

Unfortunately the situation now is that there are numerous software + firmware versions floating around and people are just trying them in an unsystematic way, iow Hantek support has lost control of the situation. They should come up with a "works for everybody" software + firmware upgrade and publish that on their website ASAP to stabilize things.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #397 on: June 14, 2021, 08:49:53 am »
Apparently this is because not all upgrade+firmware combinations work well with all hardware versions.

My suggestion is that people keep the original software + firmware versions that they got with their DSO in the first place and with caution apply only the upgrades that Hantek publishes on their website - not the ones that Hantek support sent by mail to solve a specific query by a specific user.

Unfortunately the situation now is that there are numerous software + firmware versions floating around and people are just trying them in an unsystematic way, iow Hantek support has lost control of the situation. They should come up with a "works for everybody" software + firmware upgrade and publish that on their website ASAP to stabilize things.

:palm:  Not good. Not good...  :palm:

Online DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #398 on: June 14, 2021, 09:00:54 am »
As far as I understand, the only firmware-thing here is the FPGA. Which is loaded at every boot. There's a bin file in the dso folder.
What I didn't figure out yet was what actually stores the FWxxxx version.

Offline tttonyyy

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #399 on: June 14, 2021, 09:52:34 am »
As far as I understand, the only firmware-thing here is the FPGA. Which is loaded at every boot. There's a bin file in the dso folder.
What I didn't figure out yet was what actually stores the FWxxxx version.

I'm not convinced that's it.

If you look at the diffs between 20210416 and 20210510 (that bumped firmware to 3202 when applied to my scope) the only files different are:

- package/do_update.sh (comments out a copy line, so not that)
- package/system.info (just some string tweeks)
- package/fpga/psram_board_test.fs.bin

There's a few more between 20210510 and 20210601, most of which look like string changes, but with the addition of an update to phoenix binary.  And again, that package/fpga/psram_board_test.fs.bin file.

Cynically I doubt very much that Hantek are using these upgrades to improve their psram test every time, I very much suspect that this is a file they used for initial bringup and never bothered renaming, that possibly includes the FW.  Just speculation.

This speculation is possibly further supported by "load_fpga_kb.sh" which has line: /dso/app/cfg_fpga /dev/tn652_fpga_cfg psram_board_test.fs.bin
...right before loading some kernel modules.  Googling tn652 fpga turns up some links to the GoWin FPGAs that it has been speculated that these scopes populate.

https://www.gowinsemi.com/en/product/detail/2/

This page mentions "Embedded pSRAM (GW1NR/1NSR only)" - a coincidence with the psram_board_test.fs.bin filename?  I think not.

I tried putting the 20210510 psram_board_test.fs.bin into the 20210601 filesystem, overwriting the one there, re-packing and re-encrypting the tar.gz into a .upk.  When I run the upgrade on the scope the progress bar moves, it says success and to reboot, but when I reboot, nothing has changed.  Not the software version or firmware.

But it could be a problem with the signing or something else in the file structure.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 10:09:18 am by tttonyyy »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf