Author Topic: New Hantek DSO2X1X models?  (Read 353123 times)

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
Re: New Hantek DSO2X1X models?
« Reply #1425 on: December 09, 2022, 05:38:18 pm »
;D we only have air conditioner, its hot even in winter  :)
Do you have metal drain pipes?  They do make a very good earth ground.

Once you do hook up a ground, if you can, it would be an idea to put an RCD/GFI in line with your lab power supply.
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline ghostlovescore

« Reply #1426 on: December 10, 2022, 02:48:53 am »
Hi
New member here. Sorry if I missed something, this thread is 58 pages long...
I'm getting myself my first oscilloscope. I will use it for microcontroller stuff - I2C, SPI, looking at power supply ripple, audio signals etc...I was decided on buying Hantek DSO2D15 but got scared when I heard of software issues. Apparently it was freezing at times. So in short, have these issues been solved? Is it a workable oscilloscope now?

Offline Algoma

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1427 on: December 10, 2022, 03:39:00 am »
It works as for anything I've needed it for. At least does what it says it should on the data sheet. Any issues likely can be improved with updates.

I would recommend pushing a bit more budget for something like a Siglent or Rigol.. but having the built in function generator has been useful.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1428 on: December 10, 2022, 05:25:27 am »
The freezing issues wete mostly solved.
Check the FAQ at my signature.
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)
Stm32 Soldering FW      Forum      Github      Donate

Offline ghostlovescore

« Reply #1429 on: December 10, 2022, 11:31:21 am »
But in your signature it says Don't buy Hantek  ;D

I may be posting this in wrong thread but quickly I haven't found right one. Which oscilloscope would you recommend for my purpose, DSO2D15 or Rigol DS1102Z-E?
« Last Edit: December 10, 2022, 11:50:35 am by ghostlovescore »

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1430 on: December 10, 2022, 12:57:37 pm »
The decoder works pretty bad, a $6 logic analyzer Will do much better.
I say don't but Hantek because while the made small fixes, they added more bugs, some really affecting how you can use it
Hantek DSO2x1x            Drive        FAQ          DON'T BUY HANTEK! (Aka HALF-MADE)

Offline ghostlovescore

« Reply #1431 on: December 10, 2022, 01:59:09 pm »
ah ok then.
Better not risk it with Hantek then.

The following users thanked this post: Stevetuc

Offline nokin

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1432 on: December 11, 2022, 04:51:17 am »
If you need trusted tool for work, go for Siglent and Rigol but x3 price.
Hantek is only for hobbies and relaxing (if you like modding)

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1433 on: December 11, 2022, 05:28:05 am »
If you need trusted tool for work, go for Siglent and Rigol but x3 price.
Hantek is only for hobbies and relaxing (if you like modding)
A Siglent 3x the price would be the SDS2000XP right now.  3X the price and 15X the scope.  Bargain!+++
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1434 on: December 11, 2022, 11:49:32 am »
Definititely.
Let's say you want to capture something on a 10us low pulse, you set the trigger and wait for it.
Once you got it, realize you can't zoom before the trigger (Worked previously from 1-2021 update) so you lose 50% of your capture and you can't see what happened before the pulse.

The decoders draw garbage most of the time, unless you zoom in so much you can only see 2-5bytes, depends on the decoder.
SPI decoder won't work at >15MHz or so, showing wrong data.

The scope is still freezing on long runs, ex. leaving it waiting for a trigger condition, come 15 minutes later and see it freezed, maybe it captured your precious wave but you can't save it!

All messages, emails, forum posts to Hantek have been ignored.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2022, 11:52:44 am by DavidAlfa »

Offline Russ3000

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1435 on: December 14, 2022, 07:40:21 pm »
RTC DS3231 arrived today, installed it right away, everything worked, thanks DavidAlfa  :-+

The following users thanked this post: DavidAlfa

Offline masta_k74

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1436 on: December 23, 2022, 04:37:09 am »
Yesterday evening my Siglent SDS 1104X-E finally arrived. 8)
It's already a difference between a bicycle and a Mercedes C63AMG. The range of features alone is enormous. Of course, it also costs correspondingly more. A lucky financial circumstance made it possible for me to buy the device as a Christmas present for myself.
Next month I will buy the AWG extension for the Siglent oscilloscope, then my wishes in this area will be fulfilled.
Now I can tinker with the Hantek as much as I like, because I no longer have to worry about destroying it.
I wish you all a Merry Christmas and lots of great presents! :-+

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1437 on: December 23, 2022, 07:14:14 am »
Cost 3x the Hantek crap, it's not so expensive for the beast it is!
Amazing:

I might sell mine buy one of these!

The following users thanked this post: masta_k74

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #1438 on: December 23, 2022, 07:18:16 am »
Cost 3x the Hantek crap, it's not so expensive for the beast it is!
Amazing:

I might sell mine buy one of these!
Careful now and brace yourself to be shocked at the package they provide.  ;)
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

The following users thanked this post: masta_k74

Offline masta_k74

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1439 on: December 23, 2022, 02:45:21 pm »
Careful now and brace yourself to be shocked at the package they provide.  ;)

I can only agree. I am simply impressed by the device! ;D

I already have a linear dual laboratory power supply from Siglent. Now I have the same positive experience with the oscilloscope. I think I have now found the right manufacturer for my laboratory equipment. Price and performance are simply outstanding.

The following users thanked this post: tautech

Offline Geoff from Oz

« Reply #1440 on: December 26, 2022, 02:45:09 am »
Many thanks for a tremendous resource David Alpha. 

I have a question about the VID PID expected by the DSOflash utility, and I'm hoping you can help me.

I am new to this forum, and new to using a DSO2D15.  I purchased it about 2 months ago, and managed to "freeze" it a couple of days ago :-( 

I'm following the "rules" and doing a lot of reading and cross-checking before attempting any recovery or repair.

I suspect I'm going to need to go down the "Platform Tools system flashing" route, but before I do that I'd like to take as many safety precautions and backups as I can.
I've noticed that the DSOflash tool expects particular values for the VID and PID of my DSO2D15

ctx.hdl = libusb_open_device_with_vid_pid(NULL, 0x1f3a, 0xefe8);

But looking at device manager on my pc, the oscilloscope shows up with a different VID and PID.  Do you know if that has happened to anyone else?  And would it be safe to edit the src code and recompile DSOflash? (I'm not keen to do that - I would presumably have to find/install the appropriate toolchain - but if it's necessary I will work my way through it).

Any advice or suggestions you have the time to offer would be much appreciated (Equally, if you are busy elsewhere, I completely understand, there is already an enormous amount of effort gone into what you have already done).

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1441 on: December 26, 2022, 05:24:14 am »
First of all, ensure to read how the FEL mode works in the FAQ.
Different VID/PID suggests you didn't boot in that mode!
If stuck at Hantek screen, Platform-tools is the only way, but if you're getting to the  main screen, try the much easier SCPI method.
After recovering, consider installing the factory reset daemon, migh save your day next time it happens.

The following users thanked this post: Geoff from Oz

Offline Geoff from Oz

« Reply #1442 on: December 26, 2022, 06:04:12 am »
Wow David Alpha - many thanks indeed for such a rapid response.

I'm still reading like crazy.  I saw how to boot into FEL mode, but I didn't realise the VID/PID might change as a consequence, and I'm wary of "doing anything" without double checking everything first, in case I make matters worse.

I've tried the Keysight I/O Libraries suite - it fires up fine on my pc, but fails to detect the DSO2D15, and I can't tell whether that is a pc / driver issue (I've tried both the default IV Foundation driver, and the Zadig installed WinUSB one), or the DSO being unresponsive at the other end of the USB cable.  Which is why I suspect I'll end up with the Platform-tools way.  The DSO does complete the boot process, but then freezes with all the on screen settings as they were when the problem first appeared.

I'll try the FEL boot mode and see what happens (I'll have to tell my anti-virus to unquarantine DSOflash.exe first, but I know how to do that).  I'm a bit wary because sadly I hadn't done any backups before I had this problem - didn't even realise I could or should - newbie error! :-( and there seems to be a chance I'll lose the serial number etc (which you have provided a utility to restore :-) thanks!, and some calibration setting (which may not be recoverable, at least at my current state of knowledge)

When/if I get things working again, I'll be sure to back up everything in sight, and install the factory reset daemon!

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1443 on: December 26, 2022, 07:02:17 am »
Yeah. Better make a backup just in case!

Offline trazor

• Contributor
« Reply #1444 on: December 26, 2022, 06:41:55 pm »

I'm a bit wary because sadly I hadn't done any backups before I had this problem - didn't even realise I could or should - newbie error! :-( and there seems to be a chance I'll lose the serial number etc (which you have provided a utility to restore :-) thanks!, and some calibration setting (which may not be recoverable, at least at my current state of knowledge)

I also locked mine before doing any backup. Don't worry, you will lose the following:

1. Model - You can restore any model number you like (that is the reason many populated PCBs can be configured as higher priced models)
2. Serial Number - I didn't have any problem leaving the default "all zero" serial number
3. Signal Generator calibration data - DavidAlfa's gdrive folder has a script to generate new calibration data (may be less accurate than factory)

As a plus: you will get the latest software with less bugs that your original and hard to deadlock again.

Offline Geoff from Oz

« Reply #1445 on: December 27, 2022, 02:35:54 am »
Thanks to your help I am making progress :-) ... but I am once again stuck and would appreciate any hints.

I successfully booted into FEL mode, ran Zadig to install the WinUSB driver, and then ran DSOflash.exe, which worked perfectly (took about 48 minutes to create a "backup.bin" file)

Now I am attempting to Recover my oscilloscope, using the Platform-Tools system flashing approach (the SCPI approach doesn't work for me, the IO Lib Suite still will not detect a connection).

I am having problems installing the Fastboot driver. The install_driver.bat says it has installed the Fastboot driver, but has failed to install the WinUSB driver. 

I tried running restore.bat (from the Firmware\Platform tools(Low level firmware folder) anyway, but it stalls at the "<waiting for any device step>". 

The Windows 11 device manager shows the FEL driver to be installed, but NOT the Android Bootloader Interface - there isn't even an Android Device appearing.  I've tried removing the WinUSB driver totally, and starting again with the install_driver.bat (switching the oscilloscope off and restarting in FEL mode between steps), but I'm still stuck at the same point.

Obviously I'm doing something wrong but I can't figure out what. 

PS I've googled "How to install Fastboot driver", and can find lots about how to use it for Android phones, but nothing so far that gives me any hint about where I'm going wrong here.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1446 on: December 27, 2022, 03:26:19 am »
It's fine, the fastboot device comes later, it's loaded in the first platform-tool step, just go with it.

Offline Geoff from Oz

« Reply #1447 on: December 27, 2022, 11:08:26 pm »
THANK YOU - with your help and encouragement I now once again have an oscilloscope which boots  ;D

There was a final twist to getting both the FEL and the Fastboot drivers installed and working on my Windows 11 pc, which I'll record below in case it helps anyone else.  After several attempts to use the automatic installer approach, which failed later because the restore.bat script either couldn't find the Fastboot driver, or couldn't find the FEL driver (depending upon exactly what else I had done before starting restore.bat), I decided to try the Manual method.

The first time I tried to install PhoenixSuite_CN the installer said everything was OK, both the FEL and the Fastboot drivers were installed successfully.  BUT I I noticed a message from Windows saying (something like) "a driver can't load on this device".

It turns out that there is a Windows security setting which for some reason did not like the Fastboot driver, and was (almost silently) disabling it as soon as it was installed  |O

[windows/a-driver-can-t-load-on-this-device](https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/a-driver-can-t-load-on-this-device-8eea34e5-ff4b-16ec-870d-61a4a43b3dd5)

[Core isolation - Microsoft Support](https://support.microsoft.com/en-gb/windows/core-isolation-e30ed737-17d8-42f3-a2a9-87521df09b78)

I had to turn the Memory Integrity setting off - it can be found in the Core Isolation part of the Windows Security setting.

Once this was done, everything was relatively straightforward.

• I installed PhoenixSuite_CN - this said it had successfully loaded both drivers - but actually the FEL driver wasn't quite happy so
  • Next I used Zadig to list available devices, select the FEL driver and replace it with the WinUSB driver
  • Then I restarted the DSO2D15 in FEL mode again, and ran restore.bat.  I selected FW3205 and ...

about a minute later, my oscilloscope was booting normally  :)

Now it's time for me to back everything up, and install the restore daemon.

Offline DavidAlfa

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1448 on: December 28, 2022, 02:36:41 am »
Now calibrate the channels, then set the gen to something like 2Vpp and check the actual output.
If matching the amplitude, your scope had calibration in the EEPROM, you only need to restore the system parameters like modelo, SN, though it's not really needed.
If you send me your flash backup I'll try to make an installable from it.

Offline Geoff from Oz

« Reply #1449 on: December 29, 2022, 04:32:41 am »
Hi DavidAlfa,

That's very generous of you.  I've just uploaded a zipped folder to your Google Drive, you should be able to deduce which one it is by the name I gave it   ;)

I'm still learning lots - is an installable the same as a upk file? (By the way, a curiosity question - is there an easy way of exploring what is inside a upk file.  I don't really need to know, but the fun for me is in the learning along the way, as well as arriving at the destination with a working project).

I think I have been lucky, and the calibration is intact - at least a 600mV sine wave from the generator appears to have a peak to peak voltage of 604mV.  The delay in responding to your kind offer was because I hadn't used the waveform generator yet, so I had a bit of reading and practicing to do first.

Once again, many thanks and best regards

Geoff from Oz

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf