Author Topic: New Keithley DMM6500 and now DAQ6510  (Read 300817 times)

Offline E-Design

• Regular Contributor
  • Hardware Design Engineer
Re: New Keithley DMM6500 and now DAQ6510
« Reply #1075 on: July 16, 2020, 04:53:43 pm »
Hi E-Design,

I’m considering getting the DMM6500 and would like to know if KickStart software is still free with this model? I cannot find this info on the product page https://www.tek.com/tektronix-and-keithley-digital-multimeter/dmm6500.

Thanks,
Gaston

It is not free any longer. That was a special promotional / intro offer that has apparently run out.
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1076 on: July 17, 2020, 07:26:43 pm »
Compare for fun, looks good:

P.S. if you are wondering about that extra digit look at:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-keithley-dmm6500/msg2590593/#msg2590593

Edit: the new 3 Sept 2020 fluke calibration is confirming that it is a little too high on 10V.

« Last Edit: September 07, 2020, 06:03:24 pm by KedasProbe »
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Z-Force

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1077 on: July 27, 2020, 09:43:03 am »
This update makes sense, I upgraded to this 1.7.3c without problem.
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline Z-Force

« Reply #1078 on: July 29, 2020, 12:12:58 pm »
Oh, good news Keithley finally solved the battery issue, but it's too late for me. :palm:

Got my DMM6500 in 2019/11 (manufactured 2019/09), battery ran out at May this year.  :-//

I have to admit that I didn't use it very often (rare indeed), and the power supply was cut off almost all the time. But 7-8 months battery life for a bench device was really a very bad experience. |O

Offline Neuromodulator

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1079 on: July 29, 2020, 08:46:25 pm »
What KickStart license type did you get with the DMM6500? I got a node-locked, and found its also HDD-locked. Happens that I changed my HDD and the "Host ID" of KickStart changed and license doesn't work anymore. Is anyone aware of any workaround?

Offline E-Design

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1080 on: July 29, 2020, 09:43:42 pm »
What KickStart license type did you get with the DMM6500? I got a node-locked, and found its also HDD-locked. Happens that I changed my HDD and the "Host ID" of KickStart changed and license doesn't work anymore. Is anyone aware of any workaround?

:--
I will ask about it.
In the meantime, I think there are techniques for "MAC and HOST ID spoofing" that might work. Googles got answers.

« Last Edit: July 29, 2020, 09:45:20 pm by E-Design »
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.

Offline Neuromodulator

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1081 on: July 30, 2020, 03:30:13 am »
I will ask about it.
In the meantime, I think there are techniques for "MAC and HOST ID spoofing" that might work. Googles got answers.

Thanks E-Design, my MAC address didn't change, I just changed my HDD. I tried spoofing the HDD volume serial, but that didn't work at all (Host ID didn't change at all).

The ugly alternative might be to use sandbox or a virtual machine, and use it as trial ad infinitum.

Offline E-Design

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1082 on: July 30, 2020, 01:08:23 pm »
I will ask about it.

Thanks E-Design, my MAC address didn't change, I just changed my HDD. I tried spoofing the HDD volume serial, but that didn't work at all (Host ID didn't change at all).

The ugly alternative might be to use sandbox or a virtual machine, and use it as trial ad infinitum.

Attached is some instructions for something to try.. this came from an Application Engineer.

The following users thanked this post: MegaVolt

Offline E-Design

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1083 on: July 30, 2020, 02:05:30 pm »
I will ask about it.

More info from Tech support...

They will need to contact support to reset their license in Tek AMS.  I’ve copied them on this email.  Can you connect them to the customer?

If this was a purchased license, they should have exited the floating license prior to decommissioning the system.  The free license given when you purchase a Nighthawk is fixed and can’t be moved, though I believe it gives you a grace period to install it a few times.

If you don't get the help you need, PM me.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, exe

Offline eplpwr

• Regular Contributor
  • Junior VoltNut
Re: New Keithley DMM6500 and now DAQ6510, TSP-Link problems
« Reply #1084 on: July 31, 2020, 04:39:23 am »
As reported before, I have some problems with TSP-Link, i.e. to get multiple instruments talking TSP to each other:

I have wasted a lot of time trying to get TSP-Link to work. I even bought an additional card for the DAQ6510. [Edit: type KTTI-TSP.]

I could not find any good docs on TSP: some basic illustrations showing daisy-chaining, telling me to use crossover Cat5 cables and set unique node numbers. Well, I've tried all that but must have missed something essential.

There is no marking for "in" or "out" on the TSP connectors. My best guess is that it is connector-xfmr-instrument-xfmr-connector (Edit: i.e. fully symnetrical, electrically), but I'm not sure.

Well, there is a rather good document from Tek Support:
"KTTI-TSP Communication and Digital I/O Accessory Instruction Sheet"

Some highlights:
- The two RJ45 connectors on each TSP-Link capable instrument are interchangeable; no "in" or "out" port.
- With a daisy-chain of instruments, only the master may use USB/Ethernet/GPIB for communication a PC. For the non-master nodes I interpret this as those connections must be physically disconnected, or "Link down" for Ethernet.
- It is recommended/required when using a mix of DAQ6510/DMM6500/DMM7510 AND SMU2600:s to use the KTTI-TSP (equiped DMM) as the master. This could be 'cause these newer instruments have some sort of superset of the protocol and needs to be master. My guess is that also the DMM7510 may qualify as master, only that whats on the KTTI-TSP card is built-in. Whether the newer SMU 2450/60/61/70 can be masters is unclear, I don't own any.

Well, I sure got some testing to do... Most of my SMU26xxA/B are disassembled at the moment, waiting for fresh capacitor replacements.

Attaching document:
« Last Edit: July 31, 2020, 05:00:15 am by eplpwr »

The following users thanked this post: MegaVolt

Offline ulli

« Reply #1085 on: August 09, 2020, 03:56:32 pm »
In my opinion, this is a very decent meter for advanced bench-usage.

I like the new approach on the user-interface.
Every setting related to the actual measurement-mode is easily and contextual sorted available. And it reminds you to frequently wash hands ;D
I also like, that there is no need to employ your computer to do some quick-setup monitoring and trending.

There, i would find it very useful to have a reset button for the limits if you set "Auto Clear" to off and one ore both limit(s) to on. One Button for both would be absolute ok.
For example, you just want to know if a monitored voltage trips the limit somewere in time. You set up the scenario and turn your intrerest to the thing on the other bench.
Somewhat later your back and "oh it has tripped - lets do this and that and give it another go"
You just had to press the (imaginary yet) reset-button instead of fiddeling around with the limit-settings.
(The actual setting of the limit-related stuff is imho fine)

This might be done via TSP-Script, and hae a Button on the user-swipe, but if it whre in the firmware ...

« Last Edit: August 09, 2020, 05:24:45 pm by ulli »

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1086 on: August 11, 2020, 07:38:20 am »
This might be done via TSP-Script, and hae a Button on the user-swipe, but if it whre in the firmware ...
You can press "No Script" and then select your reset command script.
They didn't implement linking a hardware button to a script because they thought it was already easy enough.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1087 on: August 12, 2020, 07:02:11 pm »
There's basically no reviews of the DMM6500 on youtube. There's "1" of the similar DAQ6510, but that's basically it.

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #1088 on: August 12, 2020, 09:46:03 pm »
There's basically no reviews of the DMM6500 on youtube. There's "1" of the similar DAQ6510, but that's basically it.
The DAQ6510 is essentially the same machine and the review is excellent. You really don't need much more. If you do watch the SMU and DMM7510 reviews on the same channel as they have similar capabilities.

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1089 on: August 13, 2020, 04:57:10 pm »
Is there somethings specific you want to see tested?  there are also the comments here from users.

Edit you will also find some here:
https://www.element14.com/community/roadTestReviews/2910/l/keithley-bench-digital-multimeter-review
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 09:05:43 am by KedasProbe »
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline ulli

« Reply #1090 on: August 15, 2020, 06:41:19 pm »
or take the UI API-Tour (nothing fancy) with the information found on this forum. (There is not very much in the manual)

btw.: "display.setevent(SwipeID, display.EVENT_SHOW, "onSwipeShow()")"

works fine (see Attachement)
« Last Edit: August 15, 2020, 06:44:31 pm by ulli »

The following users thanked this post: KedasProbe

Offline ercapoccia

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1091 on: August 15, 2020, 08:49:34 pm »
How mature is the firmware of the DMM6500? From the this thread seems that blue screen are almost gone and battery drain has been patched.
Are there other major flows that still need to be fixed?

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1092 on: August 16, 2020, 10:53:20 am »
or take the UI API-Tour (nothing fancy) with the information found on this forum. (There is not very much in the manual)

btw.: "display.setevent(SwipeID, display.EVENT_SHOW, "onSwipeShow()")"

works fine (see Attachement)

I tried it, the buttons work nicely you can even still run an extra script (tsp) while that one is running.
It has all the basics to make your own variant of an extra output/button screen.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1093 on: August 16, 2020, 11:53:07 am »
Does someone have a working 'loadimage' tspa script, I'm trying it but can't get it to work I get syntax errors based on the current syntax examples. (expect '=' near ...)

With a working one I can at least know if they changed the commands in the firmware or if there is something wrong with my file.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 04:08:04 pm by KedasProbe »
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1094 on: August 28, 2020, 09:18:32 pm »
Is there somethings specific you want to see tested?  there are also the comments here from users.

Edit you will also find some here:
https://www.element14.com/community/roadTestReviews/2910/l/keithley-bench-digital-multimeter-review
No nothing in particular, and I'm sure it has more features than I'd currently need. It's just a shame, no big channel like EEVB-Dave's has done this one. I think he did the 7550?

In general, looking up 6 and 1/2 /6.5 digit DMM on youtube doesn't show up much, in the way of reviews, let alone in-depth ones.

I used to buy a lot of cutting edge gaming PC tech, there's new models all the time, and loads of review's. Too many in-fact.

Offline thm_w

• Super Contributor
  • Non-expert
« Reply #1095 on: August 28, 2020, 09:46:45 pm »
No nothing in particular, and I'm sure it has more features than I'd currently need. It's just a shame, no big channel like EEVB-Dave's has done this one. I think he did the 7550?

In general, looking up 6 and 1/2 /6.5 digit DMM on youtube doesn't show up much, in the way of reviews, let alone in-depth ones.

Shahriars reviews are incredibly in depth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lezd27BzQLo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yT7aOK0q17Q

You can always read the manual too.
Profile -> Modify profile -> Look and Layout ->  Don't show users' signatures

Offline MathWizard

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1096 on: August 28, 2020, 10:21:09 pm »
Yeah the so the DAQ6510 is basically the same thing. I've watched some that video before, but now I'll pay a lot more attention.

Offline amead

« Reply #1097 on: October 20, 2020, 06:45:59 am »
Just found out Kickstart now costs ~$1500AUD ex GST. This is a deal breaker for me. How much did this cost previously?

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #1098 on: October 20, 2020, 07:29:27 am »
Just found out Kickstart now costs ~$1500AUD ex GST. This is a deal breaker for me. How much did this cost previously?

You mean software? Afaik, used to be included for free with DMM6500, not sure which edition. Checking on the Internet for a standalone versions gives prices from 215 pounds for base edition to pretty much the price you mentioned.

Offline eplpwr

• Regular Contributor
  • Junior VoltNut
« Reply #1099 on: October 20, 2020, 07:43:19 am »

You mean software? Afaik, used to be included for free with DMM6500, not sure which edition. Checking on the Internet for a standalone versions gives prices from 215 pounds for base edition to pretty much the price you mentioned.

It used to be free with purchase of a DMM/DAQ/SMU, but no longer. When the offer was active, I got a total of 5 licenses when I registered equipment. Two of those I "checked out" and got installed (node-locked) to two different PC:s. On my "Licenses" page there was still three licenses with a "Redeem" button. A year later, I replaced one of my PC:s and did "Redeem" for one of my 3 remaining licenses - nothing happened. It seems Tek quietly took back what they had promised.

In an earlier post, I wrote very positively of Kickstart. This is now totally inverted; Tek is a greedy company that does not keep their promises.

Solution: Virtual machine that you reinstall every 60 days, running in evaluation mode.

The following users thanked this post: exe

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf