Author Topic: New Keithley DMM6500 and now DAQ6510  (Read 59740 times)

Offline shodan@micron

• Regular Contributor
    • My personal page
Re: New Keithley DMM6500 and now DAQ6510
« Reply #525 on: June 14, 2019, 01:28:45 pm »
KICKSTART 2.1.0 released
https://www.tek.com/software/kickstart/2-1-0

Changes in Version 2.1.0
• New scope app now available to capture and log data from oscilloscopes.  This initial release supports MDO3k, MDO4k, MSO3k, MSO4k, DPO3k, DPO4k oscilloscopes
• Added support for Models 6485 and 6487 Picoammeters and Model 6514 Electrometer to the DMM app
• Added support for Model 2657A to the I-V Characterizer App
• Added support for Model 2470 to the I-V Characterizer App
• Added support for pretriggered data in the DMM app for Models DAQ6510, DMM6500 and DMM7510
• Improved digitizing performance for DAQ6510, DMM6500 and DMM7510 in the DMM app
• Improved memory usage and responsiveness for long-term datalogging and automatic data export
• Corrected resistance and power calculations when making resistance and power measurements in the I-V Characterizer app
• Misc. problems corrected."

WOW!!!!!!! Calibration procedure also shared! https://www.tek.com/tektronix-and-keithley-digital-multimeter/dmm6500-manual/model-dmm6500-6-1-2-digit-multimeter-0
I don't see this earlier
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 01:35:28 pm by shodan@micron »

The following users thanked this post: Sparky, MikeP, MegaVolt, windsmurf

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #526 on: June 14, 2019, 01:46:04 pm »
KICKSTART 2.1.0 released
https://www.tek.com/software/kickstart/2-1-0

This might be a dumb question.... but why is Keithley 2700 on the supported list, but Keithley 2000 is not? 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 06:11:41 pm by windsmurf »

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #527 on: June 14, 2019, 06:16:34 pm »
About kickstart 2.1, I see the inconsistency of significant digits displayed itn't fixed, sometime 5, sometimes 7.
But it stored the values correctly so not a big issue it just doesn't look professional.
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline Mike G

• Contributor
« Reply #528 on: June 18, 2019, 03:37:11 pm »
Hi Brad, still wondering when you will be releasing information regarding detailed use of the graphics commands for custom screens. ie can you specify the size of an object button to accomodate more text? Can you change the colour of the header text when creating an object swipe screen, if I add a hex colour code in the parameters it errors saying that only three parameters are allowed.

swipe_id = display.create(display.SCREEN_HOME, display.OBJ_SWIPE, 'Extra Data')

So far I have managed to achieve most of the things I need to but reverse engineering existing code can be a long and frustrating task, especially for a new programmer like myself, so any help would be much appreciated.

Is it possible to remove an obj swipe screen as part of a function to restore normal operation when leaving a script? Trying various methods usually locks up the meter.

A weird problem I have encountered when developing scripts is that when power cycling the meter, it does sometimes freeze if it doesn't like the script, it will hang on the Keithley logo, although the power button still works it comes back in the hung condition. I really thought I had bricked my meter but discovered that the way to solve this is to remove the power plug while displaying the logo, wait at least one minute then reapply power and, usually, this then results in a normal power up sequence.  Your comment on why this happens would be welcome.
Thanks for any information you can release, Mike

Offline cozdas

• Contributor
« Reply #529 on: June 19, 2019, 10:35:28 am »
Is it possible to remove an obj swipe screen as part of a function to restore normal operation when leaving a script? Trying various methods usually locks up the meter.

Unfortunately this is a known bug in the current firmware, you can't delete a user-created swipe window. If your script has routines to handle the UI messages from the user created swipe window, once the script is terminated the orphan window will crash your DMM (possibly it's trying to call the routines which are no longer in the memory).

Many months ago Brad told that it's already fixed in the development firmware but unfortunately Tektronix/Keithley hasn't released a new firmware since February. I wish their firmware team was using a modern branch/release flow which separates the development/feature branches from the bug-fix branches which would let them release bug fixes without waiting everything to be tied together. They were expecting to ship the firmware in March but it was delayed until end of May and apparently they missed that target too. My 30+yr software engineer hat tells me that "release often" is the way to go but they may have different limitations/ideas/restrictions in their company, who knows.

I stopped developing apps/scripts for the DMM6500 until the new firmware comes as hitting the crash wall multiple times a hour is very tedious and annoying.

The following users thanked this post: shodan@micron

Online drummerdimitri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #530 on: June 20, 2019, 03:38:39 am »
Why isn't Keithley developing apps to be run from the Apps manager? Seems like this feature is going to waste  :--

I'd love myself a power app instead of running that power script someone posted on here a while back.

Offline Mike G

• Contributor
« Reply #531 on: June 20, 2019, 10:13:20 pm »
Firstly thank you Cozdas for your information, I too look forward to seeing the new firmware release.
Secondly, hi  drummerdimitri, if you need a more finished version of a power meter script I have one that I have made which is quite easy to use. It allows you to input shunt values, both resistance and wattage (and will warn if you overload it), number of readings with options and a start(repeat)  button. It also displays DUT voltage, shunt voltage, shunt wattage and current on the swipe screen and records all data to three seperate buffers. I am only a beginner at this programming and have managed to create this by reverse engineering parts from various scripts written by others with a few ideas of my own.
I will try to attach a copy to this post. I accept no responsibility if you use it. Don't forget to change the "txt" extension to "tsp" before using, if you have any suggestions  or comments they are most welcome :)
If you install a script on to the DMM6500 you can select and run it from the home screen by touching the "No Script" logo at the very top of the home screen, this will drop down a list of installed scripts and you just need to touch the one you wish to use, easie than going to the apps menu.

The following users thanked this post: cozdas, MikeP, MegaVolt

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #532 on: June 23, 2019, 05:09:49 am »
I made a small script to check the expected burden voltage.

It takes the maximum current in the default buffer and multiplies it with the expected resistance of the DMM6500 + 2 banana leads.
The resistance values are measured values and will vary on your unit/leads but not that much that it will lose its purpose to have an idea of the voltage drop. (for the 10A your leads will be more important to be correct)
https://github.com/Ken26M/keithley/blob/dev/Instrument_Examples/DMM6500/Check_Burden_Voltage.tsp
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline Neuromodulator

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #533 on: July 01, 2019, 06:32:31 am »
I wrote a script to measure temperature of any type of thermistor (not just the 3 available from the firmware). It uses the Steinhart-Hart equation and requires the input of the A, B and C coefficients. Hopefully someone will find this useful

Code: [Select]
dmm.measure.func = dmm.FUNC_RESISTANCE

display.clear()
display.changescreen(display.SCREEN_USER_SWIPE)

defaultA = 1.027628774E-3
defaultB = 2.393890857E-4
defaultC = 1.555947964E-7

a = display.input.number("Coefficient A", display.NFORMAT_EXPONENT, defaultA)
b = display.input.number("Coefficient B", display.NFORMAT_EXPONENT, defaultB)
c = display.input.number("Coefficient C", display.NFORMAT_EXPONENT, defaultC)

button = display.input.option("Unit", "\19C", "\19F", "\19K")

while (true)
do
    logR = math.log(dmm.measure.read())

kelvin = 1. / (a + b * logR + c * (math.pow(logR, 3.)))
    celsius = kelvin - 273.15
    fahrenheit = (celsius * 9. / 5.) + 32.

if (button == display.BUTTON_OPTION1) or (button == nil) then
        text = string.format("%.3f \19C", celsius)
    elseif button == display.BUTTON_OPTION2 then
        text = string.format("%.3f \19F", fahrenheit)
    else
        text = string.format("%.3f \19K", kelvin)
    end

display.settext(display.TEXT1, text)
end

« Last Edit: July 01, 2019, 06:40:50 am by Neuromodulator »

The following users thanked this post: Sparky, jancumps, thm_w, hwj-d

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
Re: DM6500 Blown Current Ranges???
« Reply #534 on: July 04, 2019, 11:28:20 pm »
I was using my DMM6500 from the front contacts to measure current.  I had the range set to 3.0 A (auto scale turned off).  I used it successfully for quite a while when an accident led to a high current spike.  Now the DMM6500 white current to common is open circuit.  Fine, I thought, I must have blown the fuse so I twisted the white contact out and checked the fuse.  Fuse looked fine and Ohm meter shows a short.  But after replacing it into the socket the current range is still open circuited.

It acts like something was blown open circuit in the current measurement path inside the instrument....yet the small 3 A fuse inside the contact that is supposed to protect the instrument is fine.

Is there another replaceable fuse somewhere inside the DMM6500?  Any clues how to fix this?

If there is nothing simple I can fix I guess I will have to return the unit to Keithley for repair.  Since it is only 1 year old I assume it would be warranty repair?

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #535 on: July 05, 2019, 12:02:34 am »
Maybe some other fuse inside blow first.
You should ask their tech support, they will most likely know what most likely happened.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline HKJ

• Frequent Contributor
    • Tests
« Reply #536 on: July 05, 2019, 12:05:15 am »
There is a 3.5A 1000V fuse inside, you can see it just before the metal cover on this picture:

You can see many more pictures in my review: https://lygte-info.dk/review/DMMKeithley%20DMM6500%20UK.html

The following users thanked this post: exe

Offline gby

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #537 on: July 05, 2019, 03:05:19 am »
Thanks for the hint and picture HKJ.  I will check it out next week when I am back in the office.  Hopefully it is just that fuse and hopefully they are not hard to order nor real expensive.

Offline FrenchieRaf

• Contributor
« Reply #538 on: July 06, 2019, 12:29:19 am »
Hi all,
Thanks everyone for this very interesting thread full of valuable information.

May I ask the happy owners of this meter, on the first page Mr Krampmeier said he was worried about the time for switching between measurement functions, has this been fixed?

Do someone know of a video showing this?

For EU folks, what's the cheapest online price including taxes for it?
Thanks!And cheers from France  :)

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #539 on: July 06, 2019, 12:33:33 am »
Feature requests: make unit shorter and remove fan if possible :).

PS I understand that a single-pcb construction and compatibility with old scanner cards could play a role here.

Online drummerdimitri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #540 on: July 06, 2019, 01:02:33 am »
I have a couple of question regarding the shunt resistor values for a given measurement.

If for example I am using a shunt resistor rated for 100 A 75 mV does that mean it is safe to use up to 100 A or does it just mean that at 100 A the voltage drop across it will be 75 mV?

Also, can I use the 100 A shunt for lower than 1 A draws or will that result in an inaccurate power reading? What's a good rule to go by?

Online jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #541 on: July 06, 2019, 02:38:18 am »
Is there a way to get DCV + ACV readings at the same time without the relay constantly clicking between them?

Online drummerdimitri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #542 on: July 06, 2019, 02:41:05 am »
Is there a way to get DCV + ACV readings at the same time without the relay constantly clicking between them?

There are some ranges where they use the same shunt resistor such as 10V and 1A range with a couple of other ranges otherwise you will have to wear those relays out.

Online jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #543 on: July 06, 2019, 02:49:16 am »
Yeah, I saw that discussion when cruising through the thread search for "relay," but that's for voltage + current whereas I'm looking for voltage + voltage. I'd be perfectly happy with a similar solution but even after a bit of fiddling with the ranges I still haven't been able to figure out a click-less combination.

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #544 on: July 06, 2019, 03:23:10 am »
For EU folks, what's the cheapest online price including taxes for it?
Thanks!And cheers from France  :)
I saw Farrell is selling it cheap. 808euro (excl. tax)
I also saw conrad.fr is more expensive than conrad.de or .be

edit www.conrad.it is 867 (excl. tax)
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 04:42:37 am by KedasProbe »
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #545 on: July 06, 2019, 03:26:02 am »
Yeah, I saw that discussion when cruising through the thread search for "relay," but that's for voltage + current whereas I'm looking for voltage + voltage. I'd be perfectly happy with a similar solution but even after a bit of fiddling with the ranges I still haven't been able to figure out a click-less combination.
The only good solution to avoid relays is to buy 2 DMM6500  ;)
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #546 on: July 06, 2019, 03:46:47 am »
For AC + DC there is in theory a way: use the digitizer mode and statistics functions: The average voltage gives the DC value and the std. deviation is equal to the RMS for pure AC. The geometric sum gives AC+DC RMS - this could likely be done in a short script.

Offline JxR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #547 on: July 06, 2019, 04:11:53 am »

The 1A/3A/10A ranges will result in no clicking.  The voltage can be left on Auto, or any range you choose.

Online jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #548 on: July 06, 2019, 04:25:20 am »
I am after AC/DC, not I/V  ;)

The only good solution to avoid relays is to buy 2 DMM6500  ;)
You probably meant that as a joke, but right now I have my DMM6500 in parallel with my 34401a for exactly that reason.

For AC + DC there is in theory a way: use the digitizer mode and statistics functions: The average voltage gives the DC value and the std. deviation is equal to the RMS for pure AC. The geometric sum gives AC+DC RMS - this could likely be done in a short script.
It might just come to that.

Offline JxR

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #549 on: July 06, 2019, 04:46:17 am »
I am after AC/DC, not I/V  ;)

Opps, didn't catch that.  Yeah, there is no range you can select as far as I can tell that will not result in the relays clicking.  Anyways, what you are already doing is probably your best bet.

Although if you don't need fast measurements for both ACV/DCV you could probably put a long delay on one of the measurements to lessen the relay switching (or put a delay on both).
« Last Edit: July 06, 2019, 04:52:11 am by JxR »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf