Author Topic: New Keithley DMM6500 and now DAQ6510  (Read 296839 times)

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
Re: New Keithley DMM6500 and now DAQ6510
« Reply #125 on: July 16, 2018, 09:52:29 am »
I had overlooked this and my first thought was the effect of capacitive coupling to the screen. This description would point towards a software problem or maybe something like interference of the display with the meter itself, like massive interface traffic on the shift / redraw causing the spikes.
Maybe, maybe, tcp/ip dhcp (edit: but fixed ip) was connected too ...  :-/O
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 09:57:19 am by hwj-d »

Offline Brad O

• Regular Contributor
  • Keithley Apps Engineer
    • Keithley homepage at Tektronix
« Reply #126 on: July 16, 2018, 02:32:42 pm »
Hi everyone, Applications Engineer for Keithley here.  Just letting you all know that engineers here do read all these threads and try to review all the problems you present.  This latest one is really strange to us.  The graph should have no influence on readings taken, and the analog measurement board is well separated from anything involving the display.

hwj-d, I'm going to PM you my email address, I have a few questions gathered from the design team and I want try recreating the problem here.

The following users thanked this post: quarks, pmcouto, TiN, Sparky, thm_w, Vgkid, Zucca, HighVoltage, lukier, hwj-d, tuju, Jacon, Octane, InductorbackEMF

Offline lukier

• Supporter
    • Homepage
« Reply #127 on: July 16, 2018, 03:11:04 pm »
Hi everyone, Applications Engineer for Keithley here.  Just letting you all know that engineers here do read all these threads and try to review all the problems you present.  This latest one is really strange to us.  The graph should have no influence on readings taken, and the analog measurement board is well separated from anything involving the display.

I'm very glad Keithley is listening to the community.

Few observations from my side:
  • transformer hum in standby - the way the transformers are mounted creates a lever arm and the metalwork seems to amplify the hum a lot, I had to put sheets of foam under the meter to bend/dampen things,
  • I also had blue screens, but only few times, not as frequently as hwj-d, I'm surprised there isn't a firmware update on the website,
  • I made my own ethernet cable for the meter, but I crimped the plugs badly, so there was intermittent contact and the meter really hated that, restarting during boot. You might want to check your Ethernet stack code.

Regarding the touchscreen noise it didn't occur to me as I usually set the meter and leave it alone - I bought it mostly for logging things.

Here's a screenshot of an 1h log of 10V from Fluke 5440B, std. deviation is quite good, but I cannot say what is the cause of spikes there as I didn't use fancy volt-nut cables, don't know how good my 5440B is and I definitely have a lot of EMI around from all the gear, PCs and cheap wall-warts. (5 NPLC, auto zero, no filter or math, HiZ input impedance).

« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 03:55:39 pm by lukier »

Offline Brad O

• Regular Contributor
  • Keithley Apps Engineer
« Reply #128 on: July 16, 2018, 03:52:20 pm »
  • The transformer hum a lot of people have mentioned is a manufacturing defect that affected some DMMs on the first run, it's been fixed in the later builds.  You can contact your service center about getting it fixed, they should all be aware of the issue.  I'm not sure the exact percentage of affected units, but that's why some people have said they didn't notice it.  In general, please always reach to Tek service if you notice something that seems unreasonable about operation, mistakes do happen...
  • There's a new firmware coming out this week that should address most of the blue screens people have reported, we're just waiting on the website people to post it.  Some of the more complicated issues people have posted here (or issues that turned out to be complicated) are being addressed in the next firmware you can expect in a few months. 
  • Poor Ethernet contacts caused the whole unit to restart?  I'll take a look at that...

Feel free to PM me more details/feedback if you have them.

The following users thanked this post: TiN, thm_w, HighVoltage, lukier, hwj-d, tuju, Octane, Synthtech

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #129 on: July 16, 2018, 06:22:45 pm »
I'm very glad too, Keithley is now listening to the community.

But I think, it's very important to us, to prioritize issues and their fixes here in the forum, not just as a PM.  :)

Big thank's to Brad O   :-+

... and welcome in the forum
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 06:24:38 pm by hwj-d »

The following users thanked this post: Brad O

Offline maxwell3e10

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #130 on: July 16, 2018, 06:50:20 pm »
One could somewhat understand software glitches and blue screens in DMM7510, which was a brand-new software platform, and they have been for the most part resolved over time.  I am not sure why the new meter DMM6500 also has BSD issues, since I would assume the majority of the code is the same.

The following users thanked this post: Zucca, Jacon

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #131 on: July 16, 2018, 06:56:33 pm »
Brad O:

Thanks fort stepping in here officially for Keithley.

We are a highly technical community here and would really appreciate some detailed technical
feedback of why these issues with the DMM6500 exist.

I went through the the blue screen problems on my DMM7510, 2450 and 2460 SMU and did not
expect similar issues on the DMM6500. Actually I wanted to buy a DMM6500 but now I am waiting
for the issues to be solved and for a good explanation, before I will buy.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline Brad O

• Regular Contributor
  • Keithley Apps Engineer
« Reply #132 on: July 16, 2018, 08:48:41 pm »
But I think, it's very important to us, to prioritize issues and their fixes here in the forum, not just as a PM.  :)
I certainly don't want to prevent any discussion here!  I just don't want to clog up this thread with troubleshooting Q&A either... (Another place to give good or bad feedback is the Tek/Keithley support forum which may be better suited for back-and-forth troubleshooting than here.)

To maxwell3e10and HighVoltage: A lot of the firmware/software for the DMM6500 and DAQ6510 is new.  There are enough differences in the design that many resources couldn't be reused from the 7510.  In terms of technical reasoning for this particular problem, I'm not sure yet.  We've done long-term testing here and not seen anything like what hwj-d reported.  I will certainly try to give you technical reasons for other issues, but understand that Keithley designs are confidential so I'm limited in how much detail I can give without a review from our legal department. Many times too, the answer is simply a software bug. 

The following users thanked this post: Synthtech

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #133 on: July 16, 2018, 10:23:57 pm »
I certainly don't want to prevent any discussion here!  I just don't want to clog up this thread with troubleshooting Q&A either... (Another place to give good or bad feedback is the Tek/Keithley support forum which may be better suited for back-and-forth troubleshooting than here.)
Ok, that's a little bit OT now.

Yes, but don't get me wrong, I think as I understand this forum, one of the main concerns is to be able to ask and answer questions here on neutral ground.

There are threats with many hundreds of pages, which are still not overcrowded, thanks to the very good search function. If a thread actually becomes OT, one can define a more suitable one. R&S, for example, solved this with its own self-defined thread. And we, I think, are very thankful for that.  ;)

Of course many technical questions can be better answered in the Tek forum, maybe, we do not have to compete for that. But contributions of all kinds (according to the forum rules), which are addressed and discussed here in the forum, should continue to be publicly discussed here. That's what this forum stands for.

If necessary, please correct me.
(Edit: I forgot, I spoke only as a enthusiast member...)

Thanks

;)
« Last Edit: July 16, 2018, 10:33:28 pm by hwj-d »

The following users thanked this post: TiN, egonotto, Zucca, kado, 2N3055, Jacon, Brad O

Offline Brad O

• Regular Contributor
  • Keithley Apps Engineer
« Reply #134 on: July 17, 2018, 04:53:47 pm »
The first firmware update for the these instruments has been released.  For the DMM6500 and for the DAQ6510.

The following users thanked this post: quarks, TiN, thm_w, lukier, hwj-d, Octane, Synthtech

Offline elbot

• Contributor
« Reply #135 on: July 26, 2018, 10:42:43 am »
The first firmware update for the these instruments has been released.  For the DMM6500 and for the DAQ6510.

Flashed DVM to 1.0.01f and it seems to have fixed lock-up problems (4) moving around the menu's, but still seen a lock-up by running a script
further once a "blue screen" saving a script... so still room for improvements.

Offline Brad O

• Regular Contributor
  • Keithley Apps Engineer
« Reply #136 on: July 30, 2018, 02:59:17 pm »
seen a lock-up by running a script further once a "blue screen" saving a script... so still room for improvements.

So a lock-up while running a script and a blue screen while saving a (the same?) script?  Could you send me the script you're using?  That's likely a problem with one of the commands so we'd like to see what commands are used and the context they're used in.

Offline elbot

• Contributor
« Reply #137 on: July 31, 2018, 08:14:05 am »
seen a lock-up by running a script further once a "blue screen" saving a script... so still room for improvements.

So a lock-up while running a script and a blue screen while saving a (the same?) script?  Could you send me the script you're using?  That's likely a problem with one of the commands so we'd like to see what commands are used and the context they're used in.

Hi,

Sorry to say the scripts are long gone,
but to be a bit more precise, the lock-up in “running script” was not actually while running the script
but loading it in the Scripts Menu.
The blue screen, saving script.. quite sure I used an existing name.

Problem in both cases,  it’s not possible to repeat.

I have been writing professional firmware for 25 years and know how
frustrating it can be for the developer to find the bug without sufficient feedback from the user
and will try to save the circumstances if further problems turns up.

Great to see KEITHLEY responds to reported problems here at eevblog

Offline elbot

• Contributor
« Reply #138 on: August 10, 2018, 10:42:58 am »

HI,

Found the blue-screen trigger (from Settings swipe or tab to graph press Calc or Meassure icon before graph window fully loads) see attached video.
To me its a classic threaded programming issue.. one task starts upon another.. the good thing its easy to fix :)

I'm sure quite sure the blue-screens I've seen other places moving around menus relates to this issue.

Regards
Claus

Offline elbot

• Contributor
« Reply #139 on: August 10, 2018, 11:45:54 am »

HI,

Found the "Run Script" lock-up trigger (not Blue- Screen)  I reported earlier (quite easy when you know what to look for) In run menu switch rapidly between Scripts / Run Selected
(some times only 2 switch necessary) and exit with Menu button then main menu locks up, and power-cycle needed.

This instrument have for sure problems if you have "fast" fingers and I'm quite sure the problems can be triggered all over the GUI, something in the threaded programming needs an overhaul, a bit strange that QC of the firmware hasn't spotted this weakness.

Regards
Claus

Offline Brad O

• Regular Contributor
  • Keithley Apps Engineer
« Reply #140 on: August 10, 2018, 04:14:53 pm »

Found the blue-screen trigger (from Settings swipe or tab to graph press Calc or Meassure icon before graph window fully loads) see attached video.
To me its a classic threaded programming issue.. one task starts upon another.. the good thing its easy to fix :)

Oh yes that's really easy to duplicate, I just saw it on my desktop unit!  I've filed the issue as AR61734 and it should be fixed in the next firmware release.  It looks like that doesn't happen with shortcuts on any of the other swipe screens, or if you're using the rear inputs, but that one must've slipped by.

Found the "Run Script" lock-up trigger (not Blue- Screen)  I reported earlier (quite easy when you know what to look for) In run menu switch rapidly between Scripts / Run Selected
(some times only 2 switch necessary) and exit with Menu button then main menu locks up, and power-cycle needed.

Ooh, now this one's pretty interesting and has already been fixed in the development firmware.  This is actually a bug with the file selector object and how it interacts with multi-touch.  If you have nothing selected and touch the file selector object (just the area itself, not a list item in it) and anywhere else on the screen that's not an active object (e.g. an inactive button) the touchscreen sometimes gets trapped in the file select object so you can only interact with the files listed.  Other buttons on the box will work normally since they don't require the touchscreen.  Like I said it's been fixed for the next firmware, but there's also an easy workaround in the meantime so you don't have to restart your DMM: press the FUNCTION key and then the TRIGGER key.  That sequence will do a soft reset of the display and allow the touchscreen to act normally again. 

Thank you so much for sending these, though I'm sorry you had to see them.  Incidentally, you seem pretty good at this, you know we have an opening for a firmware test engineer... ;)

Also as an update for the board, I've so far been unable to replicate the shifting noise level problem hwj-d reported, that's in as AR61694 for more engineers to evaluate. 

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, Zucca, lukier, Jacon, Octane, Synthtech

Offline elbot

• Contributor
« Reply #141 on: August 13, 2018, 06:45:36 am »

Oh yes that's really easy to duplicate, I just saw it on my desktop unit!  I've filed the issue as AR61734 and it should be fixed in the next firmware release.  It looks like that doesn't happen with shortcuts on any of the other swipe screens, or if you're using the rear inputs, but that one must've slipped by.

Ooh, now this one's pretty interesting and has already been fixed in the development firmware.  This is actually a bug with the file selector object and how it interacts with multi-touch.  If you have nothing selected and touch the file selector object (just the area itself, not a list item in it) and anywhere else on the screen that's not an active object (e.g. an inactive button) the touchscreen sometimes gets trapped in the file select object so you can only interact with the files listed.  Other buttons on the box will work normally since they don't require the touchscreen.  Like I said it's been fixed for the next firmware, but there's also an easy workaround in the meantime so you don't have to restart your DMM: press the FUNCTION key and then the TRIGGER key.  That sequence will do a soft reset of the display and allow the touchscreen to act normally again. 

Thank you so much for sending these, though I'm sorry you had to see them.  Incidentally, you seem pretty good at this, you know we have an opening for a firmware test engineer... ;)

Also as an update for the board, I've so far been unable to replicate the shifting noise level problem hwj-d reported, that's in as AR61694 for more engineers to evaluate.

HI,

Really like your comment about the job opening... would be nice to rip others code apart after a lot of people had tried to do the same with mine during the years. :)

Found a couple of bugs more...

1)
System Events, randomly select events and "empty" pos in the grid... the "OK" dialog  hangs even if you exit with physically Key's it's still present. (see foto)

2)
Manage Scripts, Select a script hold your finger and tab outside frame exit with menu key and you have a lock up (Trigger/Function will fix it)

The bugs was easily triggered within minutes, and shows sorry to say vulnerability all over the GUI

Regards
Claus

Offline wn1fju

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #142 on: August 13, 2018, 12:10:52 pm »
Received my DMM6500 a few days ago and did the firmware update.  As the picture in the previous post shows, I too get a couple of Informational 4917
messages in the log every time I turn it on.  Obviously it does no harm, but do I really need to know buffers that I am not using are 0% filled?

Offline ebclr

• Super Contributor
« Reply #143 on: August 13, 2018, 12:19:34 pm »
Mine is on the way, From Newark, I hope  they  come from a new lot with a more updated firmware

Offline elbot

• Contributor
« Reply #144 on: August 13, 2018, 01:10:48 pm »

HI,

Really like your comment about the job opening... would be nice to rip others code apart after a lot of people had tried to do the same with mine during the years. :)

Found a couple of bugs more...

1)
System Events, randomly select events and "empty" pos in the grid... the "OK" dialog  hangs even if you exit with physically Key's it's still present. (see foto)

2)
Manage Scripts, Select a script hold your finger and tab outside frame exit with menu key and you have a lock up (Trigger/Function will fix it)

The bugs was easily triggered within minutes, and shows sorry to say vulnerability all over the GUI

Regards
Claus

Last bug today...

Trigger Configure, Tab and hold one of the flow-boxes while applying one or a couple of tab's to the Buffer Clear frame.... exit with Menu.. main then locked
sometimes several tab's on the Icons recover function but mostly completely locked.

Regards
Claus   

Offline Brad O

• Regular Contributor
  • Keithley Apps Engineer
« Reply #145 on: August 13, 2018, 05:28:51 pm »
A new firmware is coming to the website in 1-2 weeks but it is mostly to fix an internal issue.  Expect a new customer focused firmware release in... October I'd guess.  The imminent firmware seems to make a lot of these issues harder to reproduce, but it doesn't directly address any of them, that will be for the later firmware.

wn1fju: Add the attached script to your DMM to remove those messages on startup (You'll have to remove the .txt extension before putting it on your DMM, the forum won't let me upload just .tsp).  All it does is run eventlog.clear() on startup to clear the buffer messages before you see them, you could add that command to your own startup script if you have one.  The only downside with doing this is it will prevent you from seeing any legitimate startup errors should they happen.See my next post for clarification.  The reason those messages happen is that a lot of our customers that use DMMs for logging will run a script based on that 0% filled message.  That message is often used (and is the recommended use case) for the Service Request (SRQ) bit used in IEEE standards.

elbot:
1)

2)
Trigger Configure, Tab and hold one of the flow-boxes while applying one or a couple of tab's to the Buffer Clear frame.... exit with Menu.. main then locked
sometimes several tab's on the Icons recover function but mostly completely locked.

So I think all of these involve using at least 2 fingers on the touch screen at the same time right?  At least I couldn't get my fingers to move fast enough to see any of these without multitouch.  Probably there is an issue with the multitouch process, or at least multitouch should be ignored in these (and no doubt other...) scenarios.  Touch detection is one of the things had had to be almost entirely re-written from the DMM7510 and 2450 series SMUs so it's not terribly surprising to me you've found these errors around there. 

These are getting filed as bugs since they definitely shouldn't happen, but I am a little curious how you found them.  Did you naturally stumble upon these while using the instrument?  Or were you doing your own stress testing?  During development, a lot of our GUI debugging comes from our engineers using the box in scenarios we expect them to be used in.  So I'm just wondering if you (and natually others) are wanting to use the box in a way we didn't expect.  Like do you want something else to happen when you hold an item and touch somewhere else on the screen?  Or did these happen while naturally using the box and then you went back to find the exact cause of the lock-up?
« Last Edit: August 13, 2018, 07:49:20 pm by Brad O »

Offline Brad O

• Regular Contributor
  • Keithley Apps Engineer
« Reply #146 on: August 13, 2018, 07:47:52 pm »
Whoops, some clarifications:

I was accidentally using an older development build when I was confirming elbot's lock-up errors.  I didn't see them at all in the latest development build so you can expect the fix with firmware update coming later this year.

For the startup script for wn1fju, I said there's a downside in that you won't see legitimate startup warnings.  That's not quite true since warnings and errors will cause pop-ups that require you to click something along with event log items.  So you would still see a pop-up if an error or warning occurred.  That startup script just prevents you from seeing informational messages that happen as part of the DMM's default start.

Offline elbot

• Contributor
« Reply #147 on: August 13, 2018, 07:53:20 pm »
A new firmware is coming to the website in 1-2 weeks but it is mostly to fix an internal issue.  Expect a new customer focused firmware release in... October I'd guess.  The imminent firmware seems to make a lot of these issues harder to reproduce, but it doesn't directly address any of them, that will be for the later firmware.

wn1fju: Add the attached script to your DMM to remove those messages on startup (You'll have to remove the .txt extension before putting it on your DMM, the forum won't let me upload just .tsp).  All it does is run eventlog.clear() on startup to clear the buffer messages before you see them, you could add that command to your own startup script if you have one.  The only downside with doing this is it will prevent you from seeing any legitimate startup errors should they happen.  The reason those messages happen is that a lot of our customers that use DMMs for logging will run a script based on that 0% filled message.  That message is often used (and is the recommended use case) for the Service Request (SRQ) bit used in IEEE standards.

elbot:
1)

2)

So I think all of these involve using at least 2 fingers on the touch screen at the same time right?  At least I couldn't get my fingers to move fast enough to see any of these without multitouch.  Probably there is an issue with the multitouch process, or at least multitouch should be ignored in these (and no doubt other...) scenarios.  Touch detection is one of the things had had to be almost entirely re-written from the DMM7510 and 2450 series SMUs so it's not terribly surprising to me you've found these errors around there. 

These are getting filed as bugs since they definitely shouldn't happen, but I am a little curious how you found them.  Did you naturally stumble upon these while using the instrument?  Or were you doing your own stress testing?  During development, a lot of our GUI debugging comes from our engineers using the box in scenarios we expect them to be used in.  So I'm just wondering if you (and natually others) are wanting to use the box in a way we didn't expect.  Like do you want something else to happen when you hold an item and touch somewhere else on the screen?  Or did these happen while naturally using the box and then you went back to find the exact cause of the lock-up?

HI,

Yes you're right, 3 bugs from today was triggered by 2 fingers, first one in natural use next two on purpose because it would make sense it was there too.
All other bugs reported was discovered by "normal" use and I went back to repeat them, so no direct stress-test but 25 years in embedded hardware an especially programming makes it quite easy to trace such bugs down due to the fact that you have a good knowledge of how it works.

I'ts easy to touch the screen with 2 fingers if you access it fast and I think its ok to disable this multi finger access to get a stable behavior,
Its a DMM not a piano :)

Credits to you for en open and direct dialog not trying to cover up the fact that fw stability could be improved.

Regards
Claus 

The following users thanked this post: TiN, Brad O

Offline Jens01

• Contributor
« Reply #148 on: August 13, 2018, 08:16:36 pm »
At the company i work at we are currently migrating from the 'old' K2700 to the newer DAQ6510, for now in the K2700 emulation mode. IMHO these meters are really great to work with and really a step forward from the K2700. We use the RS232 option card and it was -almost- plug 'n play in our automated measurement setups.

There is one thing which did not migrated properly: external triggering using the Digital I/O connector in K2700 emulation mode. We had to (re)connect the trigger line to the BNC connector on te back of unit to make it work. The migration manual mentions the DIO DB-9 as a valid external trigger source, so @Keithley, are we missing something like an additional configuration? The setup worked flawless with a K2700 unit. Trigger is at 5V TTL level.

Offline elbot

• Contributor
« Reply #149 on: August 14, 2018, 01:52:13 pm »
Whoops, some clarifications:

I was accidentally using an older development build when I was confirming elbot's lock-up errors.  I didn't see them at all in the latest development build so you can expect the fix with firmware update coming later this year.

For the startup script for wn1fju, I said there's a downside in that you won't see legitimate startup warnings.  That's not quite true since warnings and errors will cause pop-ups that require you to click something along with event log items.  So you would still see a pop-up if an error or warning occurred.  That startup script just prevents you from seeing informational messages that happen as part of the DMM's default start.

Great with a new firmware within hopefully short time,
in meantime you can look at this error...  .

Running as Digi I as I often use (actually the reason to buy the DMM) I was fiddling around a bit with buffer-size and sampling rate
to restore things to "normal" by running a script I have used many times before, a few movments later error shows up...

NO fingers on the screen :) and no communications physically attached to the DMM so don't understand the message..

This time I don't have the golden key to trigger the bug and don't spend time on it right now, if you already know the reason.

Regards
Claus

The following users thanked this post: Octane

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf