Author Topic: New Keithley DMM6500 and now DAQ6510  (Read 296938 times)

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
Re: New Keithley DMM6500 and now DAQ6510
« Reply #550 on: July 06, 2019, 08:27:09 pm »
Wow, I thought you were talking about NOS on ebay, not shops... Didn't know it's still on sale, I thought it was obsolete more than 10 years ago. Amazing.
It's been the current model until the DMM6500 came out recently. It's obviously still being sold and by high volume sellers too. Those understand the value of shelf space and turnover and won't leave old models laying about in the hopes of selling them at an unrealistic price, so I assume I'm overlooking a demand for them.

Offline exe

• Supporter
  • self-educated hobbyist
« Reply #551 on: July 07, 2019, 07:28:35 am »
Those understand the value of shelf space and turnover and won't leave old models laying about in the hopes of selling them at an unrealistic price, so I assume I'm overlooking a demand for them.

I had the same question, but didn't find much information except some threads on eevblog. Even if we see some measurements of a particular unit, can we rely that all units are like that? I concluded that we can only rely on specs in datasheets. Spec-wise DMM6500 is similar or better than K2000. If one wants performance, then there is better equipment (e.g., 7.5 and 8.5 digit dmms).

[speculation]
What else can be is may be K2000 is in the list of approved equipment to purchase or something.

Anyway, there is an assumption that they are actively sold. But being stocked doesn't mean they make a lot of sales. May be storage space is cheap-enough to not be bothered about selling them. Big warehouses are in the middle of nowhere, it doesn't cost much to build a big hangar.

Online Kleinstein

• Super Contributor
« Reply #552 on: July 07, 2019, 08:32:38 am »
In some cases the K2000 is used with computer control, as part of a system and they need a replacement (possibly also new for low volume systems). Sometimes it is also being used to the old meter and some people do not like a touch screen. There could also be some buyers how prefer old an proven over brand new without a proven track record for reliability.

It sometimes happens that some pricing does not make much sense, mistakes are made. A still relatively high inventory of the K2000 could also be a miscalculation from a faster replacement. Sometimes a high price is only there to permit a larger discount.

For the measured performance on individual units, it depends on what to measure. Something like a temperature coefficient or the accuracy of calibration can vary a lot between units.
Other properties like the noise usually does not scatter that much between units - so here one can assume that other units will be similar. There is still some variation in the low frequency noise from thermal sources or popcorn noise of the reference.

Offline rej

« Reply #553 on: July 11, 2019, 07:21:59 am »
Hello, I´m searching for a bench multimeter and received a DMM6500 from my supplyer. I´m quiet happy with it, but there is one thing i noticed: There is no exact information about the measurement in full screen mode. It just shows V instead of Vdc or Vac. If the slider tab is active it shows "AC Voltage: Front". I miss this information on the full screen mode. The firmware version of my device is 1.0.01f.

Is it the same on your device? Has this changed with the new firmware?

Offline drummerdimitri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #554 on: July 11, 2019, 09:07:37 pm »
I would like to use my DMM6500 to make general purpose temperature measurements (air, heatsink, liquid etc.).

I read that using a 4 wire RTD is the best way to go about it for accuracy but I'm not sure if the meter has a built in Cold Junction Compensation feature.

Can someone assist me with this?

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #555 on: July 11, 2019, 09:27:15 pm »
I would like to use my DMM6500 to make general purpose temperature measurements (air, heatsink, liquid etc.).

I read that using a 4 wire RTD is the best way to go about it for accuracy but I'm not sure if the meter has a built in Cold Junction Compensation feature.

You need cold junction compensation for thermocouples. RTD's are resistors, don't need it.

The following users thanked this post: drummerdimitri

Offline drummerdimitri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #556 on: July 11, 2019, 09:58:15 pm »

You need cold junction compensation for thermocouples. RTD's are resistors, don't need it.

Good to know thanks!

How do i set the CJC since I am currently using a K-type thermocouple? Manual was too complicated I need a simpler guide.

Offline windsmurf

• Frequent Contributor
  • !
« Reply #557 on: July 11, 2019, 11:23:50 pm »
Greediness.
The same shops carry both, so I guess that's not it.

Still could be greediness... some companies may have validated/standardized on the 2000 and can only purchase that model, so why reduce prices?   

It might also be getting used as a psychological tool to make people think the DMM6500 is such a bargain.   ;D

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #558 on: July 11, 2019, 11:25:36 pm »
How do i set the CJC since I am currently using a K-type thermocouple? Manual was too complicated I need a simpler guide.

Unless you have a scanner card, you can only use the simulated CJC.  Best way I know to calibrate a K-Type is with an insulated cup full of ice with water added ( then wait about 5 mins).  Set your simulated cold junction to 0C/32F.  Then continuously stir the ice water with the thermocouple inside.  Use the relative calculation to compensate to 0C/32F once you have the temperature stabilized.  Record the relative value and put it on a tape/label and attach to the thermocouple so you don't have to do the calibration again in the future.

Or just buy a 4-wire PT100 RTD.  Plug it in, and your pretty much done.  You can go through the calibration procedure above, but they are pretty much spot on from my experience.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 11:30:23 pm by JxR »

The following users thanked this post: drummerdimitri

Offline drummerdimitri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #559 on: July 11, 2019, 11:44:42 pm »

Unless you have a scanner card, you can only use the simulated CJC.  Best way I know to calibrate a K-Type is with an insulated cup full of ice with water added ( then wait about 5 mins).  Set your simulated cold junction to 0C/32F.  Then continuously stir the ice water with the thermocouple inside.  Use the relative calculation to compensate to 0C/32F once you have the temperature stabilized.  Record the relative value and put it on a tape/label and attach to the thermocouple so you don't have to do the calibration again in the future.

Or just buy a 4-wire PT100 RTD.  Plug it in, and your pretty much done.  You can go through the calibration procedure above, but they are pretty much spot on from my experience.

Great explanation thanks! Will be getting an RTD from Aliexpress should be good enough for my needs.

Offline cozdas

• Contributor
« Reply #560 on: July 12, 2019, 05:35:57 am »

It's the same in the latest firmware.

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #561 on: July 12, 2019, 07:02:36 am »
Hello, I´m searching for a bench multimeter and received a DMM6500 from my supplyer. I´m quiet happy with it, but there is one thing i noticed: There is no exact information about the measurement in full screen mode. It just shows V instead of Vdc or Vac. If the slider tab is active it shows "AC Voltage: Front". I miss this information on the full screen mode. The firmware version of my device is 1.0.01f.

They do have free space to keep the text bar above with this info visible. (they even have free room for the range without changing the size of the reading)
But what I do for graphs for example is that I go to the internal web page so it's big on my screen, (obviously you need a PC but could be a small one with big monitor)
And yes you can press the touchscreen with your mouse. (although swipe with your mouse isn't that obvious)
Refresh is a bit slower but still fast, and doesn't refresh while doing high sample rates though. (priorities)

edit added screenshots + what is possible:
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 02:02:04 pm by KedasProbe »
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline rej

« Reply #562 on: July 12, 2019, 07:22:06 am »
@KedasProbe

Thanks for your answer. I just send an email to Keithley about that topic. Lets see what they think about that.

Offline AG7CK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #563 on: July 18, 2019, 09:29:50 am »
First, thanks to Brad O for trying to help me to find a (somewhat) rational way to by a DMM6500 in Thailand last year. I tried several ways but finally gave it up.

This year however, I decided to bite the dust and try to navigate myself through element14's web page in Thai (the flag button for English does not only change the language - it also sends you to the UK web page that of course cannot sell and ship to Thailand). So with the help of translation tools and dumb luck (there is no way known to me for translating button and menu text, so you just push/choose and hope for the best ...)

I managed to buy a meter more or less blindly  :o
They have now debited my card  :scared: :phew: :-DMM :clap:

I have read most of the thread before, but I would like fresh answers:

1) Can I get the calibration data after I have the serial number? If so, how?

2) Is there a free Kickstart now? Or a test license?

3) I would like to have RS232 or GPIB data out (instrument control is not important for me), but I did not buy any modules. I find them high priced. So I ask if there is a way to set the instrument in 'Talk-Only' mode so that it streams data that can be sniffed by the hobbyist?

Thanks.

Offline AG7CK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #564 on: July 18, 2019, 02:45:40 pm »
Thank you shodan@micron for your information.

I have looked at your LXI page. I do have a RPI3+ w/ a 10inch touch screen in a (tablet-like) case called RasPad. I have used it with Python, but have never used ethernet-stuff. I will put it up as a new project. Thanks.

As for serial data I would still like an answer from Tektronix if it would be possible to sniff measurement data using the PCB pins/edge connector inside the communication cover/slot. I make a living in a field where most PC-related stuff after XP is regarded as unsuited for reliable long time data logging, so Kickstart on a modern laptop PC is not a first choice for me.

And if all else fails I can just buy a communication module  :-/O

PS
I looked at your web site. Do you sell LM399 or LTZ1000 board with measurement data?

Offline MegaVolt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #565 on: July 18, 2019, 03:03:32 pm »
I make a living in a field where most PC-related stuff after XP is regarded as unsuited for reliable long time data logging, so Kickstart on a modern laptop PC is not a first choice for me.
This is not a problem.
You can even communicate with the device via telnet. Those. you need a computer, a network cable and a little bit of C to send and receive commands.

You can also install the Keithley Visa library and control the device through the proposed functions.

Here are examples in different languages.

The following users thanked this post: AG7CK

Offline eplpwr

• Regular Contributor
  • Junior VoltNut
« Reply #566 on: July 18, 2019, 08:38:52 pm »
1) Can I get the calibration data after I have the serial number? If so, how?

2) Is there a free Kickstart now? Or a test license?

1. No, not normally. After harassing Tek support i got a PDF with the factory calibration report, but that was "an exception".  8)

2. I created an account on tek.com and registered the meter. After that I got a license entitlement for one PC. I even had to ask Tek support "what's this license stuff, anyway?", since it just showed up. Hopefully, this function/offer is still active. The license key gets locked to one specific PC and is valid for 100 years.

Best regards,

eplpwr

Edit: License has part# "KSPROMONL-BASE".
« Last Edit: July 18, 2019, 08:51:21 pm by eplpwr »

Offline drummerdimitri

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #567 on: July 18, 2019, 10:56:30 pm »
Is there a way to use the USB drive as a Buffer to store more readings or does the DMM6500 only support saving the existing readings onto a USB flash drive?

Offline AG7CK

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #568 on: July 19, 2019, 12:39:02 am »
Thank you MegaVolt and eplpwr

I will look closer at the code. Thanks.

If necessary I will arass them too  >:D . I have documentation from last year that I tried to order with calibration data from Tek's "partner". Like another poster in this thread I found the so-called partner seemingly did not know what I was talking about.

I will also try out the registration regarding the Kickstart license.

Thanks again for your info.

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #569 on: July 19, 2019, 07:19:37 pm »
About the kickstart license I think this is still valid:
- You can get the one when you register on tek.com touchscreen device promotion from tek (locked to PC when installed, I assume it dies when the PC dies)
- Second one you need to request from the seller (DMM6500 promotion from tek) but you can move it to another PC.
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/new-keithley-dmm6500/msg2315400/#msg2315400

« Last Edit: July 19, 2019, 07:21:30 pm by KedasProbe »
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline JxR

• Supporter
« Reply #570 on: July 19, 2019, 07:34:56 pm »
Is there a way to use the USB drive as a Buffer to store more readings or does the DMM6500 only support saving the existing readings onto a USB flash drive?

I don't believe that is possible. If you need to do long term logging that would fill the buffer, you can use KickStart on your PC.  There are some limitations when it comes to maximum sampling rate using KickStart, but you can set the "Measure Count" to infinite.

If you don't have your KickStart license yet, create an account on tek.com and register your DMM.  You should get a free license that will be locked to the single computer you install it on.

Offline cozdas

• Contributor
« Reply #571 on: July 19, 2019, 07:54:04 pm »

Not sure with normal mode but if you use the scan feature you can have the DMM write the readings to USB after each scan (in various formats). It might be possible to define a pseudo scan card and "use" that too but I haven't played with pseudo scan cards yet so not sure about this. You can of course buy a physical scan card or make one

Alternatively you can write a small script running in a loop on the DMM (no computer connection needed) to read the value and write to a usb file in whatever format you want. With the scripting capabilities the device is very versatile, you should be able to come up with multiple solutions to save readings to usb file.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2019, 12:23:03 am by cozdas »

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #572 on: July 26, 2019, 01:21:53 pm »
I updated the save to USB script uses the startindex now but requires a lot more code just to do that.
Should be lower level stuff though not script code, I don't care where the first measurement is located, 1 should be the first measurement.

Anyway if you open the old csv file in excel and press 'sort' you will have the exact same result.
https://github.com/Ken26M/keithley/blob/pr/5/Instrument_Examples/DMM6500/Save_Measurement.tsp
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 02:43:07 pm by KedasProbe »
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #573 on: July 27, 2019, 10:51:13 am »
I must say that the webinterface is very convenient, while I'm sitting in my quiet living room writing/testing some script code the DMM6500 is upstairs humming away. (for the DM3068 I had to write a .net program to see the screen remotely)
The only thing missing would be wake on LAN  ;D
And display.lightstate = display.STATE_LCD_OFF is luckily not changing the webinterface :)
(50% brightness: display.STATE_LCD_50)

About noise:
Is there a way to objectively measure the hum when the DMM6500 in standby because my DMM6500 is louder than the one at work although the one home is newer, is there a objective spec for that?
I know there was a problem with hum in the past that should be fixed but I don't know it this hum is within specifications or not. It could be that I'm just very lucky with the one at work.

In standby the DMM6500 is louder than the Rigol DM3068 but when on the DM3068 is louder.

edit: I did notice that it did turn the display on again without asking, maybe some timer.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 02:01:24 pm by KedasProbe »
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline Mr. Scram

• Super Contributor
  • Display aficionado
« Reply #574 on: July 27, 2019, 01:34:15 pm »
Does it make noise in standby?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf