Author Topic: New Keithley DMM6500 and now DAQ6510  (Read 300163 times)

Offline RBBVNL9

• Frequent Contributor
Re: New Keithley DMM6500 and now DAQ6510
« Reply #1400 on: October 22, 2021, 07:17:42 am »
Can you tell me where you wrote to report the problem? My messages have been ignored for years.

I reported the issue around December 2020 to Keithley. After a couple of further email exchanges in the days after, a representative of Tektronix/Keithley informed me that they were able to replicate the crashes I was experiencing there as well. But it took several more firmware updates until they addressed it in new firmware.

Offline MegaVolt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1401 on: October 22, 2021, 07:43:36 am »
Can you tell me where you wrote to report the problem? My messages have been ignored for years.

I reported the issue around December 2020 to Keithley. After a couple of further email exchanges in the days after, a representative of Tektronix/Keithley informed me that they were able to replicate the crashes I was experiencing there as well. But it took several more firmware updates until they addressed it in new firmware.
I also reported the problem to 2020 and they confirmed to me that they see it. Maybe we need more time :)

Online mawyatt

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1402 on: October 22, 2021, 03:22:14 pm »
New firmware 1.7.10

The captions on the charts have become beautiful.

We just received a new DMM6500 with cal date 9/31/21 and has firmware version 1.7.7b.

Never used or owned a Keithley Product before and must say this is a nice DMM, really like the display and features :-+

Best
Curiosity killed the cat, also depleted my wallet!
~Wyatt Labs by Mike~

Offline macaba

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1403 on: October 22, 2021, 06:01:46 pm »
New firmware 1.7.10

The captions on the charts have become beautiful.

I must be blind, just did the update and don't see a difference. Please point it out!

Offline MegaVolt

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1404 on: October 22, 2021, 07:36:54 pm »
I must be blind, just did the update and don't see a difference. Please point it out!
I left a screenshot above. Look at the Y-axis caption. They are better than they were. More readable.

I missed the update 1.7.7 maybe new captions appeared in it.

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1405 on: October 24, 2021, 03:44:31 pm »
My update went weird again.
I had a stick with 1.7.10b on it no other firmwares

I started from 1.7.7
after 'update' I got 1.7.5b  :-//
Since I had an upgrade problem before that got fixed by downgrading first I pressed the downgrade button.
it downgraded to 1.7.1b  :-//   (I didn't provide the file)
I pressed update after that and then I got 1.7.10b

But only the downgrade to 1.7.1b took long with progress bars the others were like skipping parts of the upgrade.
And why 1.7.1b, does the DMM6500 have some backup firmware on it stored?? (it wasn't on my USB)

I certainly don't want to put money on which firmware I really have now.
Later I will see if I have this extra LAN command that was added, if not......  :-//

Looks like it has an identity crisis  :palm:
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1406 on: October 24, 2021, 04:40:23 pm »
If you read the readme of the 1.7.10 update it mentions that there is a bug in the version number display of older firmwares which causes it to appear as 1.7.1 (and requires the use of the "downgrade" button to trigger the update). So a little confusing, but it sounds like you got there in the end (no idea where you got the 1.7.5 from though!).

Really begs the question why they didn't label it as 1.8.0 or something to avoid the issue, but I guess there may be internal reasons (rigid numbering schemes or something).

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1407 on: October 24, 2021, 04:57:21 pm »
Indeed I should have read that. (and indeed 1.8, are they afraid of running out of numbers)
About the 1.7.5b my idea is that probably the previous version (1.7.5b) wasn't properly upgraded to 1.7.7 and it corrected the version number after pressing the upgrade button.

When you load the 1.7.10 firmware into your instrument, system messages will display the firmware version as 1.7.1. This is only a cosmetic issue and does not impact the performance of the unit. Subsequent firmware upgrades will display a two-digit firmware version number.
To install firmware version 1.7.10 on your instrument, use the Downgrade to older option from the front panel or use the downgrade remote commands. See "Upgrading the firmware" in your instrument's Reference Manual for more information.

it's a 'cosmetic issue' if you saw that after pressing the upgrade button.
it not a 'cosmetic issue' if you have to press the downgrade button to upgrade.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2021, 05:04:32 pm by KedasProbe »
Not everything that counts can be measured. Not everything that can be measured counts.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1408 on: October 24, 2021, 05:27:57 pm »
Yeah they should have said something like "The only functional impact of this is the requirement to use the "downgrade" button to apply the update, it is otherwise cosmetic only".  Anyway, pretty minor thankfully.

Offline 5q5r

• Contributor
« Reply #1409 on: January 02, 2022, 03:03:02 pm »
Hi all, thanks for all the good info on the DMM6500 from this thread!

I have been using mine to to a bit of resistor binning for a circuit that was touchier than expected, and I found out that the DMM6500 has a sorting/binning script as an example, that uses the digital IO lines. But: I don't have digital IO lines, because I don't have a comms card!

I have already been looking at making a DIY channel card, and I figured I would look at the comms card interface as well, but that seems to be completely shrouded in secrecy! I can't even find a picture of the KTTI-[RS232, TSP, GPIB] boards anywhere to get just a hint of the circuit!

Is there anyone who has one of those cards who would be kind enough to provide pictures of the circuit board? Or has any sort of info on how it works, and whether it's possible to DIY a board for it? Thanks!

Online voltsandjolts

• Supporter
« Reply #1410 on: January 02, 2022, 03:15:39 pm »
There is very little info on those KTTI cards, probably because they are niche requirement, rarely used.
I think for resistor binning there will be another solution.
What are the IO lines used for in that script anyway, LED blinking?

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1411 on: January 02, 2022, 04:39:20 pm »
I would also be interested in seeing if a KTTI card could be DIY'd, but I agree that there would be other options. Firstly I believe that more than one channel on a scanner card can be activated at once (I think it's a setting somewhere), so a DIY scanner card could use this to expose some IO. Alternatively a script running on the DMM6500 can send messages over the LAN - should be able to use an external device (e.g. a raspberry pi or even an ESP32) for extra IO.

Offline 5q5r

• Contributor
« Reply #1412 on: January 02, 2022, 06:19:11 pm »
The IO lines would be used for example for an automatic sorter, or in my case, just to light up which bin to put the component into so I can turn off my brain while doing it ;-)

I was going to do the raspberry pi etc thing at first, but then looking at the scripting examples, I realized that they actually had an example for exactly this use case! Shame that they are so rare, at least among us hobbyists. I should check if we have a GPIB one somewhere at work, once we are allowed back in the office.

Offline E-Design

• Regular Contributor
  • Hardware Design Engineer
« Reply #1413 on: January 02, 2022, 11:37:17 pm »
Hi all, thanks for all the good info on the DMM6500 from this thread!

I have been using mine to to a bit of resistor binning for a circuit that was touchier than expected, and I found out that the DMM6500 has a sorting/binning script as an example, that uses the digital IO lines. But: I don't have digital IO lines, because I don't have a comms card!

I have already been looking at making a DIY channel card, and I figured I would look at the comms card interface as well, but that seems to be completely shrouded in secrecy! I can't even find a picture of the KTTI-[RS232, TSP, GPIB] boards anywhere to get just a hint of the circuit!

Is there anyone who has one of those cards who would be kind enough to provide pictures of the circuit board? Or has any sort of info on how it works, and whether it's possible to DIY a board for it? Thanks!

For the "comms" cards, I am familiar with the designs --I would say it is not a straightforward bit-bang IO interface that would have made it easy to DIY unfortunately.
A simplified IO model of the KTTI digital IO can be found in the accessory instruction sheet - but it would not include details about the interface.

Some pics of the boards - taken with my crummy phone. :-[
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 11:55:46 pm by E-Design »
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, thm_w, HighVoltage

Offline E-Design

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1414 on: January 02, 2022, 11:43:16 pm »
Another pic topside (some components for the DIO)
« Last Edit: January 02, 2022, 11:45:17 pm by E-Design »
The greatest obstacle to discovery is not ignorance - it is the illusion of knowledge.

Offline E-Design

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1415 on: January 02, 2022, 11:46:50 pm »
Another pic bottom side (some components for the DIO)

Offline 5q5r

• Contributor
« Reply #1416 on: January 03, 2022, 02:58:30 am »
Thanks for the pictures and the info! An FPGA for an RS232-interface and a few I/O lines seems like overkill, but I guess the design is similar across all 3 versions. 😊 I will have to look out for a cheap second hand card or go with the raspberry pi for now.

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1417 on: January 04, 2022, 09:52:48 am »
I have been planning to make a scripts that sends out data over to our 'cloud' at work.
Since the required reaction time is slow in your case you can probably do the same and just MQTT subscribe to the value(s) on your light control device, it should make the software easier and flexible but it would make it network dependent.
The plus side is you have some extra logging.
(it may be more work if you have to setup a cloud first)
« Last Edit: January 07, 2022, 12:34:40 pm by KedasProbe »
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1418 on: January 11, 2022, 09:53:42 am »

Looks like trigger on 6500 is software, ...
Yes, I think this was confirmed by Keithley.

Maybe the DMM7510 will work for you on this project, I think its trigger system is hardware based.
There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline BitWrangler1001

• Contributor
« Reply #1419 on: February 22, 2022, 07:30:06 pm »
I have been planning to make a scripts that sends out data over to our 'cloud' at work.
Since the required reaction time is slow in your case you can probably do the same and just MQTT subscribe to the value(s) on your light control device, it should make the software easier and flexible but it would make it network dependent.
The plus side is you have some extra logging.
(it may be more work if you have to setup a cloud first)

The device can also send to a cloud service natively!
Check out
https://www.initialstate.com/keithley/

Offline KedasProbe

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #1420 on: February 22, 2022, 08:31:09 pm »
The device can also send to a cloud service natively!
Check out
https://www.initialstate.com/keithley/

I know, it's based on their script that I'm trying to make a version called the InitialThingsboardState.
But I haven't got it to work yet, I have to figure out some errors.
I use a local free Thingsboard CE instance in a VM as 'cloud' (https://thingsboard.io)
It has the limitation that it only has 1ms time resolution but they may later add nanosecond timestamps.
[W. Bruce Cameron]

Offline aronake

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1421 on: May 26, 2022, 04:26:07 am »
When calibrating a DMM6500 is each calibration point individual and can be made individually? I.e. no need to do a whole range or all measurements.

Reason I ask is that i just got a DMM6500. On a very certain 5.00000 volt source it show 4.99985. Still in spec, but a bit too far out for my liking.

I can generate very exact 0.1V, 10V, 100V and 1000V, so would want to do own calibration for DC voltage only.

Offline aronake

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1422 on: May 26, 2022, 04:57:01 am »
When calibrating a DMM6500 is each calibration point individual and can be made individually? I.e. no need to do a whole range or all measurements.

Reason I ask is that i just got a DMM6500. On a very certain 5.00000 volt source it show 4.99985. Still in spec, but a bit too far out for my liking.

I can generate very exact 0.1V, 10V, 100V and 1000V, so would want to do own calibration for DC voltage only.

How about I read the manual? ;)

It apparently clearly say that any point can be calibrated individually.

Page 71:
"The following sections provide the preparation and command parameters that you need to complete adjustments to you DMM6500. The preparation sections provide information necessary for making connections and other equipment needed for that adjustment. The command parameter tables are meant to run through in any order allowing you to adjust just the parameters you need. For a complete adjustment, run through these sections in order, making the preparations and running all of the command parameters."

Offline HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
« Reply #1423 on: May 26, 2022, 09:55:13 am »
Make sure to check and maybe adjust the ZERO calibration before starting to change any other values.
Also, if the ZERO has drifted, it would be best to calibrate step by step all DC values as suggested by the manual.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

The following users thanked this post: aronake

Offline aronake

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #1424 on: May 26, 2022, 10:28:59 am »
Make sure to check and maybe adjust the ZERO calibration before starting to change any other values.
Also, if the ZERO has drifted, it would be best to calibrate step by step all DC values as suggested by the manual.

Thanks! Good point. Have you done your own calibration of a DMM6500?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf