Author Topic: Opinions on GW Instek Scopes?  (Read 21674 times)

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: Opinions on GW Instek Scopes?
« Reply #25 on: February 08, 2017, 02:43:55 pm »
Time resolution only depends on the minimum time/div setting so check that in the datasheet. If you want to look at a 1 nanosecond difference that will be easier on a scope with 1ns/div then one with 10ns/div as a minimum.

...and you probably want more than a 100MHz 'scope to do it. Just saying.  :popcorn:

Offline MrAlTopic starter

• Super Contributor
« Reply #26 on: February 08, 2017, 08:40:45 pm »
Hi,

That makes a lot of sense, but my budget is limited at 100Mhz unless i to with a high end brand name, which i doubt i will actually do :-)

What do you think is the difference between say a GW 100Mhz scope and a Tektronix 50Mhz scope like this?

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #27 on: February 08, 2017, 08:56:49 pm »
I personally have not had to send anything back, but if ever folks in the USA send them to GWInstek USA; they've been there since the early 1990s.  For other countries, they are big enough to have branch offices so it probably helps to buy it wherever a local branch exists.

http://www.gwinstek.com/en-US/Page/About_Instek_America

Their target market has typically been trade schools and production facilities so durability and quality has been a key feature [ you can search any of their products for reviews in Amazon] but they have always suffered in performance/price against competing models with specific features.  Most importantly, if the data sheet says it does XYZ, you get XYZ.

That said, you should always buy based on per model evaluation,  not brand name.  On this particularly thread, I presume you inquiring is about the 1000B or 2000E series, which are quite different from their previous line up.

I didn't see anyone mention "service" (or lack of). I can only speak about Spectrum Analyzers, but I would steer clear of Instek.

First off, unless something has changed radically, recently, nothing is serviced here.
Second, YOU have to pay for shipping to China both ways by CHECK, credit cards not accepted. (again, unless something has changed)
Third, At least as far as their SA's, they are years behind the competition, performance wise. (probably why you almost never see any)

The above was from 1st hand experience.  ;)
« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 09:08:51 pm by saturation »
Best Wishes,

Saturation

Offline videobruce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #28 on: February 08, 2017, 09:25:55 pm »
Good to know, as I stated, my experience was with their SA's that needed repair. They had problems with the older 930 model that needed a update.

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2017, 01:40:07 am »
Good to know, as I stated, my experience was with their SA's that needed repair. They had problems with the older 930 model that needed a update.

How long ago was that?  Their U.S. presence might be more complete now than before, so for all I know they might be capable of doing repairs stateside that previously could only be done at their main manufacturing/repair facility.

Also, I thought they made their units in Taiwan, not China.  This has me wondering why you had to send your SA to China.

Offline videobruce

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #30 on: February 09, 2017, 03:32:23 am »
Two or so years ago.
China, Taiwan, almost the same thing.  :-\

• Super Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 09, 2017, 04:48:19 am »
I personally have not had to send anything back, but if ever folks in the USA send them to GWInstek USA; they've been there since the early 1990s.  For other countries, they are big enough to have branch offices so it probably helps to buy it wherever a local branch exists.

http://www.gwinstek.com/en-US/Page/About_Instek_America

Their target market has typically been trade schools and production facilities so durability and quality has been a key feature [ you can search any of their products for reviews in Amazon] but they have always suffered in performance/price against competing models with specific features.  Most importantly, if the data sheet says it does XYZ, you get XYZ.

That said, you should always buy based on per model evaluation,  not brand name.  On this particularly thread, I presume you inquiring is about the 1000B or 2000E series, which are quite different from their previous line up.

I didn't see anyone mention "service" (or lack of). I can only speak about Spectrum Analyzers, but I would steer clear of Instek.

First off, unless something has changed radically, recently, nothing is serviced here.
Second, YOU have to pay for shipping to China both ways by CHECK, credit cards not accepted. (again, unless something has changed)
Third, At least as far as their SA's, they are years behind the competition, performance wise. (probably why you almost never see any)

The above was from 1st hand experience.  ;)

Hi again,

I was looking at the 1102, is that one of the 1000 series?

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #32 on: February 09, 2017, 04:09:30 pm »
Yes, I presume you mean 1102B it is part of the 1000B series.   

GWInstek  has used "1102" many times for various model DSO they still sell.  There are the older 1102-U as well as 1102-A-U.

@videobruce: I read a review on Amazon about GW Instek GSP-930 as well as older eevblog posts; the device seemed problematic for an Instek device. I would be unhappy too. Typically the only reason it can't be returned for warranty repairs in the USA is it was not bought through an authorized dealer or bought used.  Even if the unit was off warranty and required servicing in China or Taiwan, you could still send it the USA branch to avoid International mail hassles.

It was posted previously:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/gw-instek-gsp-930-spectrum-analizer-doesn't-boot/

Enjoy.

Hi again,

Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Super Contributor
« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2017, 05:04:42 am »
Yes, I presume you mean 1102B it is part of the 1000B series.   

GWInstek  has used "1102" many times for various model DSO they still sell.  There are the older 1102-U as well as 1102-A-U.

@videobruce: I read a review on Amazon about GW Instek GSP-930 as well as older eevblog posts; the device seemed problematic for an Instek device. I would be unhappy too. Typically the only reason it can't be returned for warranty repairs in the USA is it was not bought through an authorized dealer or bought used.  Even if the unit was off warranty and required servicing in China or Taiwan, you could still send it the USA branch to avoid International mail hassles.

It was posted previously:

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/repair/gw-instek-gsp-930-spectrum-analizer-doesn't-boot/

Enjoy.

Hi again,

Hi,

Actually i was looking at the 1102A-U and did not realize it was an older model.  You think the new model is better?

Would you happen to know if any of these scopes offer the entire contents of the memory to be uploaded to the PC host computer?  That would allow quite a bit of flexibility.  For example, if i had a 1M memory dump of the raw ADC readings (counts like 0x02, 0x03, 0xE3, etc.) that would allow me to provide my own calibration as well as do any type of math under the sun on the raw data.  That would remove the need for any app's or whatever too.  I would need to see the entire contents of unmodified memory for that though.

Thanks again.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2017, 02:41:05 pm »
Hi,

I found some new information for the 1102A-U and the 1102B.

The 1102A-U has a 320x240 screen (not so nice) while the 1102B has a 800x480 screen (better).
Price difference is significant though with the 1102B being more expensive.
There could be other differences too i didnt check everything, but that small screen size put me off a bit.

I also found that most of the scopes i have seen now have rise time that is roughly one-third of the period of the bandwidth.  This may not hold for every scope but the ones i looked at all followed this rule:
RiseTime=(1/bandwidth)/3

or simply:
RiseTime=1/(3*Bandwidth)

That is an approximation that comes out close (not exact) to the rise time spec.
For example the 100MHz scope rise time spec is 3.5ns and the calculation gives us 3.3ns.
This is independent of the minimum horizontal setting which is 1ns per division.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2017, 03:43:43 pm »
The official formula for risetime versus bandwidth uses a factor of 0.35.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline saturation

• Super Contributor
  • Doveryai, no proveryai
    • NIST
« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2017, 04:04:48 pm »
Yes, you can access the raw contents of memory through the program interface.  Many DSOs have desktop software to give you added features and logging but the program interface allows system integration and to improve on it, if one has time to do so.  You can find all you need that isn't related to direct user experience through their website, as well as other models you are considering, enjoy.

http://gwinstek.com/en-global/products/Oscilloscopes/Digital_Storage_Oscilloscopes/GDS-1000A-U

Hi,

Actually i was looking at the 1102A-U and did not realize it was an older model.  You think the new model is better?

Would you happen to know if any of these scopes offer the entire contents of the memory to be uploaded to the PC host computer?  That would allow quite a bit of flexibility.  For example, if i had a 1M memory dump of the raw ADC readings (counts like 0x02, 0x03, 0xE3, etc.) that would allow me to provide my own calibration as well as do any type of math under the sun on the raw data.  That would remove the need for any app's or whatever too.  I would need to see the entire contents of unmodified memory for that though.

Thanks again.

Best Wishes,

Saturation

• Super Contributor
« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2017, 06:59:33 pm »
The official formula for risetime versus bandwidth uses a factor of 0.35.

Hi,

Thanks, it's been many many years since i looked at new scopes.

• Super Contributor
« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2017, 07:02:57 pm »
Yes, you can access the raw contents of memory through the program interface.  Many DSOs have desktop software to give you added features and logging but the program interface allows system integration and to improve on it, if one has time to do so.  You can find all you need that isn't related to direct user experience through their website, as well as other models you are considering, enjoy.

http://gwinstek.com/en-global/products/Oscilloscopes/Digital_Storage_Oscilloscopes/GDS-1000A-U

Hi,

Thanks again.

Hi again,

Oh great, that tells me a lot, that i could make full use of one of these scopes then.  With teh full memory record available i could use the PC as the analysis tool, which gives almost unlimited analysis ability.

Do you happen to know what form the data comes in?  Is it in the form of a text file or some other easy to read file?
I would be using custom made Windows software to read the data record and then perform whatever function is needed at the time.  But to do this, i would have to know the format and be able to open the file and read it into the custom analysis program.

Thanks much :-)

Offline martinot

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #39 on: July 02, 2020, 09:15:15 am »
Two or so years ago.
China, Taiwan, almost the same thing.  :-\

Canada, USA, almost the same thing? :(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf