Author Topic: NEW 100MHz Keysight Scope Release on 1st March 2017  (Read 237507 times)

Offline dos

• Regular Contributor
Re: NEW 100MHz Keysight Scope Release on 1st March 2017
« Reply #800 on: July 24, 2017, 11:43:17 am »
Well we've discussed Siglent for a while here in this Keysight thread, but to get back on topic can any owners of this scope give some feedback on it? I would really like to know if it has an intensity graded display because the datasheet makes no mention of it while the DSOX2000 series datasheet does. I know they have the same Megazoom ASIC and a very similar operation so it seems obvious that it would but who knows. I would also like to know how this scope stacks up against other low cost scopes you've used and what you think it's good and bad points are.

Offline Keysight DanielBogdanoff

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
    • Keysight Scopes YouTube channel
« Reply #801 on: July 24, 2017, 06:55:49 pm »
Hi dos,

Yes, it does have an intensity graded display. There's a button for it on the front panel right below the "entry" knob.

If you've used a 2000, 3000, 4000, or 6000 X-Series InfiniiVision oscilloscope you'll feel right at home on the 1000 X-Series.

I'll let other speak to their experience because I know that my word on the matter likely a bit skewed, but I'm always relieved to get back on the 1000 X-Series after playing around with the other low cost oscilloscopes.

The following users thanked this post: znroot, dos

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #802 on: July 24, 2017, 09:55:43 pm »
I have both the 2000X and the EDUX1002G (1000X) and I love them.  The 1000X looks and feels like a scaled down 2000X.  UI is very responsive and knobs feel the same in both scopes.

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff, dos

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #803 on: July 25, 2017, 02:33:24 am »
I have been using this 1000x with the wave gen for a month or two now. Overall I am happy. The probes are a bit lacking (one of them doesn't always snap back to clamp on to things when you pull back the witch's hat). I have other probes, so it is not a major concern, but that is really the biggest complaint.

I really wish I could set the trigger source more easily (front panel button or double tap the channel or something). It requires about three or four presses right now. I am used to analog scopes with a knob or switch to change the trigger source.

Would be nice to be able to set AC/DC coupling with a button. Again, something you take for granted on an analog scope. This is pretty easy on this scope, though. These are some very commonly used features that should be readily accessible, IMO.

The scope is generally quite fast. Though a big FFT will start to make is sluggish like a cheaper scope.

You only seem to be able to display a single reference waveform along with the live waveforms. Ideally you could show both. There is no warning to overwrite a reference waveform, and no undo. It is very easy to accidentally overwrite the last reference waveform you stored. If you ask me the scope should toggle the default write slot from the last saved reference waveform to the other one so that you would be less likely to do this. Perhaps a warning as well.

The grid intensity setting gets reset when you hit the Default Setup button. I need to see if I can save my own settings as the "Default Setup," but I have yet to see that feature. I like the grid much more transparent (8%).

Using this scope is almost as snappy as using an analog scope, in terms of perceived speed. I mean there is no comparison with moving a trace up and down on an analog scope, but it is pretty close.

I do find the rotary encoders have some sort of acceleration that is frequently not quite doing what I want. They are fine for basic features like moving the trace up and down, etc. it is just the interaction when setting mainly numeric values by turning the encoders.

Black or dark grey cases on scopes show dirt less (flux fingers), and make the screen appear more contrasts and easier to read (you watch a movie with the lights off).

Those are my thoughts on the 1000X. Overall I am quite satisfied. I only bring these things up in case perhaps Daniel can add them to some sort of wishlist for firmware updates.

The following users thanked this post: Keysight DanielBogdanoff, dos

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #804 on: July 25, 2017, 11:52:25 pm »
The scope is generally quite fast. Though a big FFT will start to make is sluggish like a cheaper scope.
I don't think it does "big" FFTs, its limited to 64k points like the other scopes in its range yes? To compare to other popular scopes:

DSOX1000 64k point FFT, 3 updates/second
DS1054Z 64k point FFT, 1 update/second

DSOX1000 1k point FFT, 60 updates/second
DS1054Z 1k point FFT, 3 updates/second
DS4000 1k point FFT, 8 updates/second

Offline dos

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #805 on: July 26, 2017, 01:24:49 am »
Hi dos,

Yes, it does have an intensity graded display. There's a button for it on the front panel right below the "entry" knob.

Thanks for clearing that up. My Siglent also has an "intensity" control but of course, it only controls the uniform brightness of the entire trace so I thought it might be something like that. Is it 64 levels like the 2000 series? Also, is there a real hardware frequency counter or is it software only like on the 2000 series (pointed out in Dave's review of that model) where you must add it as a measurement and always have it's measurement cursors on the screen when it's active. Basically I'm wondering if there is something like this as I find it useful on my current scope:

Thanks to everyone who provided feedback, it was helpful.

e:

I really wish I could set the trigger source more easily (front panel button or double tap the channel or something). It requires about three or four presses right now. I am used to analog scopes with a knob or switch to change the trigger source.

This seems to be the case with a lot of digital scopes and I have no idea what's so hard about implementing it in the way you describe. It seems like a no brainer

« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 01:28:01 am by dos »

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #806 on: July 26, 2017, 03:21:10 am »
is there a real hardware frequency counter or is it software only like on the 2000 series (pointed out in Dave's review of that model) where you must add it as a measurement and always have it's measurement cursors on the screen when it's active.
There was the ability to unlock the hardware "DVM" which included a 5 digit frequency counter through the DSOXDVM option:
http://www.keysight.com/en/pd-2089401-pn-DSOXDVM/integrated-digital-voltmeter-dvm-option-for-infiniivision-x-series-oscilloscopes
That runs on the input signal so it still works even if you've zoomed in or out so far you can't see a repetitive signal on the screen. But thats now free for all the range? The data sheet is a little confusing as it says the hardware counter is enabled standard on the 1000x but I can't see how to view it unless you install the free to download DVM option.

This seems to be the case with a lot of digital scopes and I have no idea what's so hard about implementing it in the way you describe. It seems like a no brainer
The trigger controls on the 1000x are just a little fiddly, the top level menu has holdoff and HF/Noise reject options but you need to press a soft key to get to the second level menu with simple options like trigger source/type/polarity. So its like they got the menu priority back to front putting the most used controls deeper and the least used controls up front. The larger scopes in the series have separate buttons to get to these two different menu levels which makes them much nicer to use. These are all the little details that a "full" review of the scope would hit on.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #807 on: July 26, 2017, 07:43:00 am »
I don't think it does "big" FFTs, its limited to 64k points like the other scopes in its range yes? To compare to other popular scopes:

GW Intek GDS1054B: 1Mpts FFT about 2 to 3 updates/second. At shorter memory depths it gets much faster.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: saturation

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #808 on: July 26, 2017, 04:45:33 pm »

Wow! I would hate to use a scope with 1 update per Second! That is so sluggish to attempt to adjust anything. Even the 3 updates/sec is the little bit of lag I was complaining about.

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #809 on: July 26, 2017, 06:05:18 pm »
Yess, contest time! Me too, mee too :box:

2 x 2MPoint FFT + 2 x peak freq. auto detection @ 2Hz:

Edit: Also tested simple case of 1MPoint FFT + 1 x peak freq. auto detection: 9Hz
« Last Edit: July 26, 2017, 07:23:07 pm by MrW0lf »

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #810 on: July 26, 2017, 10:06:05 pm »
This is a Keysight thread, but does that Pico scope do the FFT on the computer CPU? Also, what does it cost?

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #811 on: July 27, 2017, 01:50:33 am »

Wow! I would hate to use a scope with 1 update per Second! That is so sluggish to attempt to adjust anything. Even the 3 updates/sec is the little bit of lag I was complaining about.
But unlike some other  scopes all the controls continue working quickly, the other traces update quickly, its only the FFT or math traces that are updating slowly.

The following users thanked this post: JPortici

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #812 on: July 27, 2017, 06:37:03 am »
This is a Keysight thread, but does that Pico scope do the FFT on the computer CPU? Also, what does it cost?

Most scopes need to be used indoors. What does having a nice warm room cost? Or even worse, what does it cost to buy lab playing time from wife? Overall this was just to show that there is different approach migrated from high-end gear that is better for certain (processing intensive) tasks. But yea, if want max amount of knobs for min amount of money need get back to discussing chinese scopes :)
BTW Looking at Keysight website all their high-end stuff (9000+) is running Windows 7 which implies some pulses and some limitations also (only 1,000 wfms/s on DSOZ634A) compared to even their own mid-range/low-end gear.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2017, 07:08:33 am by MrW0lf »

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #813 on: July 27, 2017, 06:50:06 am »
But unlike some other  scopes all the controls continue working quickly, the other traces update quickly, its only the FFT or math traces that are updating slowly.

What happens if press STOP? Will calculate based on last trace or leave as is?

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #814 on: July 27, 2017, 07:08:16 am »
If the 1000 X-Series scope is stopped, the FFT will continue to be calculated on whatever is displayed on the screen. So, if you move waveforms around post-capture, it'll recalculate the FFT.

The following users thanked this post: FlyingHacker, MrW0lf

Offline FlyingHacker

• Frequent Contributor
  • You're Doing it Wrong
« Reply #815 on: July 27, 2017, 08:38:13 pm »

Most scopes need to be used indoors. What does having a nice warm room cost? Or even worse, what does it cost to buy lab playing time from wife? Overall this was just to show that there is different approach migrated from high-end gear that is better for certain (processing intensive) tasks. But yea, if want max amount of knobs for min amount of money need get back to discussing chinese scopes :)
BTW Looking at Keysight website all their high-end stuff (9000+) is running Windows 7 which implies some pulses and some limitations also (only 1,000 wfms/s on DSOZ634A) compared to even their own mid-range/low-end gear.

That wasn't meant to denigrate USB scopes. Just curious how that one worked, and what it cost.

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi
« Reply #816 on: July 27, 2017, 10:45:21 pm »
That wasn't meant to denigrate USB scopes. Just curious how that one worked, and what it cost.

Ok :) thought bashing again because some think that USB ones are stuck in times when triggering was done in software etc horrors. Sent PM with some info not to clutter here.

Offline synthRodriguez

« Reply #817 on: November 03, 2017, 07:36:52 pm »
My lovely Made-In-China Keysight DSOX1102A just died. It powers on. The buttons light up and then it hangs, no display. No secret Ctrl-Alt-Del key code on power-on reset for this one according to the representative.

Was purchased new through TransCat in July, so it lasted 4 months. Fortunately under warranty.

Have you ever tried to get something returned under warranty at Keysight? You have to send them a utility bill or bank statement to prove you actually live where you're telling them, and then it's 2 business days to get you in the system before you can even START the return process.  |O

I bought it because I wanted to, you know, "Scrap the toys, and get a real oscilloscope." Breaking out the 10-year old Tektronix EDU scope that actually works.

My first and last Keysight product.

« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 07:48:53 pm by synthRodriguez »

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
« Reply #818 on: November 03, 2017, 08:42:30 pm »
I'm sorry to hear that, but let's not get too carried away.

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #819 on: November 03, 2017, 08:54:38 pm »
Have you ever tried to get something returned under warranty at Keysight? You have to send them a utility bill or bank statement to prove you actually live where you're telling them

:--

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics
« Reply #820 on: November 03, 2017, 09:19:13 pm »
Have you ever tried to get something returned under warranty at Keysight? You have to send them a utility bill or bank statement to prove you actually live where you're telling them, and then it's 2 business days to get you in the system before you can even START the return process.  |O
I used the Keysight warranty service last month and they just asked me for my address to include the information on their database, They did not ask for a utility bill or any proof.

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #821 on: November 03, 2017, 09:27:14 pm »
My lovely Made-In-China Keysight DSOX1102A just died. It powers on. The buttons light up and then it hangs, no display. No secret Ctrl-Alt-Del key code on power-on reset for this one according to the representative.

Was purchased new through TransCat in July, so it lasted 4 months.
And why wouldn't you just let TransCat handle all the warranty stuff ?  :-//
Did they direct you to go to KS directly ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline bitseeker

• Super Contributor
  • Lots of engineer-tweakable parts inside!
« Reply #822 on: November 03, 2017, 11:05:27 pm »

Odd. I've sent devices to Keysight on two different occasions. They didn't ask for such proof.
TEA is the way. | TEA Time channel

Offline Svuppe

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #823 on: November 04, 2017, 01:40:26 pm »

Wow, never heard of that before.
I had my DSOX2024A repaired under warranty once. All it took was a phonecall to my local distributor. They emailed me a form I had to fill out (name, address, phone, serial number and error description). I emailed it back, printed a copy and sent it with the scope. All within an hour. Quick and painless.
Got the repaired scope back within two weeks.

• Supporter
  • ALL THE SCOPES!
« Reply #824 on: November 06, 2017, 09:35:47 pm »

First off, sorry to hear your scope died! Second, this seems a bit ridiculous to me, could you please let me know who you're talking with at Keysight so I can get things squared away. I've never heard anything like this (proof of residence, etc.).

I'll send you a PM.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf