Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 820497 times)

Offline ws2812b

• Regular Contributor
YouTube seems to be very concerned that I miss new videos about my new baby.  I somewhat have the impression I saw them before but according to YouTube they are new:
https://youtu.be/_nsWKr4DvvU

https://youtu.be/JoXBJdwFsTs

https://youtu.be/gkM46kGsQf8

Offline ws2812b

• Regular Contributor
They are the same as on the rs website.  But now on YouTube

Offline GeorgeOfTheJungle

• Super Contributor
  • !
YouTube seems to be very concerned that I miss new videos about my new baby.  I somewhat have the impression I saw them before but according to YouTube they are new:

Please please please stop! :-)
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline JoHr

• Regular Contributor

Please please please stop! :-)
no ... unless you buy one :popcorn:
The law of conservation of bugs states that the total amount of  bugs of an isolated system remains constant. Bugs can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, they can be transformed from one form to another.

Offline ElectronMan

• Regular Contributor
After giving Newark 48hrs to contact my bank and get the order back on track, I called back to find out they "forgot"... Finally got it worked out and it has shipped.

So I should have it Friday to mess with.

Offline TK

• Super Contributor
  • I am a Systems Analyst who plays with Electronics

Offline norks

• Contributor
Newark site shows $7920 for the RTB2K-COM4 bundle and stock level is going down consistently (only 6 in stock now)

Are people really buying it at full price?

While not impossible I think it's safe to say no. If there truly are new sales going through, it may be worth it to call them and ask about the promo price. Could be they're just not showing/allowing it online.

Offline NA5WH

• Contributor
Are people really buying it at full price?
While not impossible I think it's safe to say no.

I haven't bothered looking at in-stock numbers, but I have to wonder if R&S factory installs the options, or if its at the distributor (I assume they didn't pass that to the customer to do, but again, really lean would drive that to be). Based on lean manufacturing and other similar drives to have as little on-hand inventory, it would make sense, both for R&S and for the distributor to only have a few physical pieces of inventory on hand as possible (less money tied up in stock, better inventory turns).  If so, then all the RTB2002s could be a pool and all the RTB2004s could be another.      EDIT: I guess actually 4 pools, since I think the MSO is a physical option? I forget that this scope also comes without it right?    Also having just 4 pools greatly reduces errors of trying to figure out and send the right scope with all the right options to the right customer.  Far easier to grab 1 of 4  (2 no mso, 2 mso, 4, no mso, 4 mso) then tossing in the product codes for the bandwidth and decodes, and then final ship. (While my company doesn't make scopes, we basically do the same thing, custom configure at setup so we only have to have 1 model, and in our case 2 optional pieces installed by field service at setup plus software.. granted we physically setup all our instruments for customers, but you'd expect that for a 7 figure device.)

But also could be as stated, people getting the better deal on the down-low, or simply buying the regular scope with the exact same options as the fully loaded, for the new list price of $6k instead of $8k.
« Last Edit: April 06, 2017, 06:42:43 pm by NA5WH »

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
EDIT: I guess actually 4 pools, since I think the MSO is a physical option?

The MSO is an add on: the cable and the license option, so I'd think 2 pools would be enough. You need to open the box anyway to install the license keys so to drop in the MSO cable is not going to be difficult.

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
Thanks to all who posted useful info in the thread - you've suckered me into buying my third scope!

Regarding Newark, they couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery.
Their web support staff were very friendly and explained that the $8k price was there because the system wouldn't work correctly with the promo price, and that I should ring or email the sales&quotes team instead, as web support couldn't do anything.
That was where the friendliness stopped - sales were rude, unhelpful and condescending on the phone and quotes (via email) gave a canned response that ignored what I asked and then didn't reply to my follow-up. Seems that just calling or emailing from outside of the US means that you're not worth talking to - I was wanting to ship to a residential US address (i.e. not a re-shipper) with US payment methods, but I didn't even get far enough to explain that.

After giving up dealing with those idiots I managed to find another US stockist with great customer service and a unit left to sell, which is now on the way to a friend to hold until I arrive in the US.

On another note, while the prices in Europe suck compared to the US $2k deal, my dealings with the UK R&S staff have been very positive and friendly - while they couldn't match the US price they tried their best for a max-1-unit-purchasing hobbyist and got prompt answers about a technical query I had. This (plus worldwide support) was a major reason behind my decision to buy the scope in the end.

Offline BrianSchmalz

• Contributor
Another minor issue I noticed: If you have more than one web browser connected to the scope's remote front panel page, one or more of the browser's screen updates may get corrupted or take a long time to update - i.e. not follow the 'real' screen in real time. With only one browser connected, this problem is not seen.

• Super Contributor
  • !
Another minor issue I noticed: If you have more than one web browser connected to the scope's remote front panel page, one or more of the browser's screen updates may get corrupted or take a long time to update - i.e. not follow the 'real' screen in real time. With only one browser connected, this problem is not seen.

I would say that was to be expected.
The further a society drifts from truth, the more it will hate those who speak it.

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff

Yes - the only thing I'd expect is for it to not crash the scope, though it would be nice if it just bounced the second connection with an "I'm busy" message.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline BrianSchmalz

• Contributor

Yes - the only thing I'd expect is for it to not crash the scope, though it would be nice if it just bounced the second connection with an "I'm busy" message.

It certainly does not crash the scope, and in fact works _pretty_ much OK. Every now and then, as you click buttons and change things and menus come and go, remnants of the old screens 'stick around' so you get confused as to what's going on. A refresh of the page always solves the problem though.

Offline BrianSchmalz

• Contributor
Quick question - when adjusting the trigger, there is a solid yellow line at the actual trigger level, and then there's a dashed yellow line a little ways below the trigger level that moves with the trigger.

What's the dashed line mean?

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Quick question - when adjusting the trigger, there is a solid yellow line at the actual trigger level, and then there's a dashed yellow line a little ways below the trigger level that moves with the trigger.

What's the dashed line mean?
It shows the hysteresis - when you change slope it changes to being above the solid line, and in dual slope mode you get 2 dashed lines.
In pulse mode, where you can select hysteresis, the distance changes
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: piranha32, Octane

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
Ugh, my scope was not delivered as it was supposed to be. Has been sitting in Denver since 1AM and hasn't moved ( I'm an hour away ). Should have been delivered today.

Maybe tomorrow......

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
Joel, it could be worse - UPS is showing mine as "Left at: Front Door" (of an apartment block) with nobody home yet to check.

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
Dang, I would have left work and raced home to get it inside ( I'm pretty free to do that kind of thing ). My worry is last time a package was late, the box was destroyed. Fortunately the contents were OK. Buying this scope has just been one headache after another. Hope all is good in the end.

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
Dang, I would have left work and raced home to get it inside ( I'm pretty free to do that kind of thing ). My worry is last time a package was late, the box was destroyed. Fortunately the contents were OK. Buying this scope has just been one headache after another. Hope all is good in the end.
Hah, I'm 3,500 miles away right now in London so can't just pop over from work; sent to friend's place, will be over to pick it up at the end of the month. Just got word that it showed up, so all is indeed good! The 3 week wait will be painful, but the >$1k I saved is worth it (it paid for 2 return flights for a long weekend in NYC).

I'm also pretty flexible with work to pop home if needed, and they have also specifically stated that employees are welcome to get anything they want delivered to work rather than home to avoid this problem - it's an easy and cheap way to help the employees out and make them happier. Was particularly hilarious too when someone ordered 3 tonnes of soil and out of habit put the work address rather than home!

Offline WackyGerman

• Regular Contributor
I really like the functionality of the scope but I hate the glossy display  :-- :-- :--. Why the hell did they do that ?  :palm:

Offline ws2812b

• Regular Contributor
I really like the functionality of the scope but I hate the glossy display  :-- :-- :--. Why the hell did they do that ?  :palm:

probably they thought it looks nicer? And In personally at least agree to the point that glossy displays have shinier colours.

But if you care invest 2€ and go for a anti-glare foil as Mike suggested:
Anti-glare screen protector makes a huge difference to screen shininess - time will tell how durable it is but at £2.49 for two it's hardly a big deal if it needs replacing every so often.
I used this one, cut down
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/191778503815?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Offline ws2812b

• Regular Contributor
Played around a bit with remote commands today on my box and found a neat way to find out the right command I wanted to share with you.

Historically if I needed a remote command I digged through the manual, which by the way seems to be still growing for the RTB2000? (at least every time I open it I have a new chapter  :o ??)

Instead for the RTB2000 I use this awesome USB connection and just copy the setting file (setup) directly after preset and take a second one after setting all settings. Doing a quick compare using KDIFF3 (or any other comparison app) and I have all the remote commands I need  8)

Never got this so easy. That's a big  :-+ R&S!

• Super Contributor
  • !

My laptop has one of these and most of the time I don't even notice the reflections, but with dark/black backgrounds it's quite a problem yes.

Offline WackyGerman

• Regular Contributor
Yes I also have a laptop with a glossy display and the reflection is a real problem . Outside it is next to unuseable . My personal opinion is that the glossy display is beside the point . It is a tool and not a status symbol which is put in a glas rack and only has to be touched with white gloves to avoid fingerprints . I want to work with it and don t want to clean it every 15 minutes because it looks like shit . I don t like the glossy display trend at all , but there everyone has it s own opinion . Maybe I am too old fashioned in this case

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf