Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 807718 times)

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Counter, Arbitrary, Manual, UART, SPI, I2C, CAN and LIN. Someone needs to make a nice comparator with a variable supply to fix the last oversight and it's a very nice feature!
What does it offer in the way of configuring the data output - can you make it output users strings over UART etc. ?
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
What operating system are they using? Linux?
I think that Keysight will have to come up with a new scope...
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
What operating system are they using? Linux?
I think that Keysight will have to come up with a new scope...
Open Source page mentions FreeRTOS. Seems to start very fast.
https://cdn.rohde-schwarz.com/pws/dl_downloads/dl_osa/RTB_OpenSourceAcknowledgment_en_01.pdf

Open Source Acknowledgment 1333.1663.00 ? 01
2  Software packages The software contained in this product makes use of the following open source software packages.
Package
License

Altera SOC EDS
BSD-3
FreeRTOS
GPL 2 with Free-RTOS Exception

FreeType 1
FreeType Project License
giflib
MIT

libpng
libpng License
libstdc++
GPL 3

GCC Runtime Library Exception 3.1
LwIP
BSD-3
nanoX

MPL 1.1
newlib
BSD-3
OpenSSL
OpenSSL/SSLeay License

zlib
zlib 1.2.7
This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Proje

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream
FreeRTOS (or linux) is a plus in my book, especially when compared to Keysight's WinCE.
VE7FM

The following users thanked this post: dr.diesel, tuju

Offline DaveW

• Frequent Contributor
    • WattCircuit
You can load in scp files to control the data coming out of the pattern generator under the arbitrary mode, so might be a generate some strings on the PC and load onto the scope.
And yeah, looks like FreeRTOS. Pretty fast to start up, especially compared to some on the market!

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor
Auto/norm button, LIKE! Not sure why more scopes don't have this as a simple toggle button, it is such a frequently used mode change.

I may be mistaken but the screen looks glossy rather than matt, if it is I'm not sure what the benefit of that is.

Regarding DaveW's video, thanks for making that. How long have you had it? There was a lot of gushing "fantastic", "excellent", "really nice", "I like that", etc, so it's difficult to work out if this was R&S sponsored? It seemed much more like a commercial than a candid review to me, apologies if I've misinterpreted that.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline DaveW

• Frequent Contributor
    • WattCircuit
Auto/norm button, LIKE! Not sure why more scopes don't have this as a simple toggle button, it is such a frequently used mode change.

I may be mistaken but the screen looks glossy rather than matt, if it is I'm not sure what the benefit of that is.

Regarding DaveW's video, thanks for making that. How long have you had it? There was a lot of gushing "fantastic", "excellent", "really nice", "I like that", etc, so it's difficult to work out if this was R&S sponsored? It seemed much more like a commercial than a candid review to me, apologies if I've misinterpreted that.

Yeah, matt would have been nice, but so far it still seems pretty good. At least for me, I don't really tend to take the scope outside much! Please don't take this one as a proper review, this was very much a first impression as I've only had it a few days, and most of those have been work days. Full review will be coming along soon which will go into pros and cons properly and will be compared to the competition; remember that when this was filmed I didn't have a manual, price or anything except the scope itself, which means it's difficult to know what it's competing against.
And for clarity, definitely not sponsored; we don't do that crap. As per standard, we get to keep the scope at the end though.

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff

The Keysight scopes have a "quick action" button that can be configured as auto/norm, which is how I have it.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor

I don't think such a thing as non-glossy capacitive LCD touchscreen exists. And you don't want resistive there.

EDIT:
Capacitive touchscreen. Forgot to add "capacitive".
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 11:14:18 pm by Zbig »

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream

I don't think such a thing as non-glossy LCD touchscreen exists. And you don't want resistive there.

Several Lenovo touchscreen laptops are anti-glare.
VE7FM

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff

I don't think such a thing as non-glossy capacitive LCD touchscreen exists. And you don't want resistive there.

EDIT:
Capacitive touchscreen. Forgot to add "capacitive".
The Keysight scopes have a non-glossy screen, captouch on the MSOX31024T.

Offline Zbig

• Frequent Contributor

Non-glossy as in smooth glass surface with good antireflex layer applied or differrent type of surface altogether?

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff

Non-glossy as in smooth glass surface with good antireflex layer applied or differrent type of surface altogether?
Don't know how it's made but it's glass, nonreflective and remarkably fingermark-resistant.
Although it doesn't have a touchscreen, the DSOX1000 also has a glass antireflective sheet in front of the LCD module 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2017, 12:00:25 am by mikeselectricstuff »

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream

Don't know how it's made but it's glass, nonreflective and remarkably fingermark-resistant. Although it doesn't have a touchscreen. The DSOX1000 also has a glass antireflective sheet in front of the LCD module

btw, Mike is saying the DSOX1000 doesn't have a touchscreen, the 3000T series does.
VE7FM

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff

Don't know how it's made but it's glass, nonreflective and remarkably fingermark-resistant. Although it doesn't have a touchscreen. The DSOX1000 also has a glass antireflective sheet in front of the LCD module

btw, Mike is saying the DSOX1000 doesn't have a touchscreen, the 3000T series does.
Re-punctuated for clarity!

Offline Dubbie

• Supporter
The Keysight scopes have a "quick action" button that can be configured as auto/norm, which is how I have it.

Oh! Hadn't thought of this. Excellent idea.
I hate faffing through the menus to change this.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.

Oh! Hadn't thought of this. Excellent idea.
I hate faffing through the menus to change this.
Why would any manufacturer want to hide Auto/Normal trigger in a Menu ?  :-//
All Siglent scopes have always had it as two separate physical buttons on the front panel UI.
Manual trigger is one feature I use a lot when setting up a Single shot event capture.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
All Siglent scopes have always had it as two separate physical buttons on the front panel UI.

I appreciate that you are a "rabid Siglent distributor".  ;)
But I think you would do yourself and your credibility a favor if you tone it down a bit, and limit the frequency of "Siglent is better" posts...

The following users thanked this post: ProBang2, AgiRigSig

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
is there an optional battery operationg mode ?

Offline rachaelp

• Supporter

I've now configured mine this way! Why hadn't I thought to do that before? :palm: Thanks for the tip Mike! :)
I have a weakness for Test Equipment so can often be found having a TEA break (https://www.eevblog.com/forum/chat/test-equipment-anonymous-(tea)-group-therapy-thread/)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: new killer scope - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004
« Reply #170 on: March 15, 2017, 09:30:48 am »
No separate Y controls  :--
You can't have the bi 10.1" screen, 4 separate Y controls, and a small bench scope, something has to give,

Can you drag the traces up and down with your finger? That would make it moot.

I'm unsure about touch screen oscilloscopes though. Do they get covered in dirty fingerprints?

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
MSO GBP609
I2C+SPI £418
UART £418
Why do DSO manufacturers miss the fact that there are USB based LAs with much more supported protocols plus a few advantages over a DSO for less money? I fully agree with you that decoding for the most common protocols should be a built-in standard feature.

It's just marketing. As soon as one big player starts giving them away for free then they all will.

Until then?  People are paying money so... :-//

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.

I appreciate that you are a "rabid Siglent distributor".  ;)
But I think you would do yourself and your credibility a favor if you tone it down a bit, and limit the frequency of "Siglent is better" posts...
And that's your trouble, I didn't say anything like that.  :P
But if you want to start comparing specs and pricing......or do you ?

I asked a valid question : Why would any manufacturer want to hide Auto/Normal trigger in a Menu ?
Nobody has provided an answer, just had a go.  ::)

Then I made 2 statements of fact for comparison.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Daniel likes to show off the added functionality of touch in his demonstrations and it's certainly better than voice control.

Voice control?  :scared:

That would be in the special EE version of hell.  :-DD

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
I'd question the longevity of the touch screen.
If it is made with some sort of glass surface like modern smartphones/tablets, then it will be virtually indestructible for such use.

But then it would much too shiny/reflective. Add it to the list of "oscilloscope hell" features. Voice control with very shiny screen.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf