Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 809652 times)

Offline Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

• Frequent Contributor
Re: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004
« Reply #2375 on: February 04, 2019, 09:48:22 pm »
Hi Folks - all PMs replied.  I apologize to those that had to wait over the weekend.  Wasn't on my PC much!

-Rich

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2376 on: February 05, 2019, 03:03:06 pm »
Hi Folks - all PMs replied.

-Rich

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2377 on: February 07, 2019, 01:47:05 pm »
Hi Folks - All PMs replied.

-Rich

Offline agdr

• Supporter
    • agdr Audio
« Reply #2378 on: February 08, 2019, 09:47:54 am »
K36 activated!  Thanks Rich and R&S.  :)

The following users thanked this post: Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2379 on: February 11, 2019, 03:47:21 am »

-Rich

The following users thanked this post: AlexFerro

Offline AlexFerro

• Contributor
« Reply #2380 on: February 12, 2019, 03:00:01 am »
I want to thank everyone here on the forum and elsewhere, but especially this forum, for the reviews, discussion, and information provided about the RTB2000 (and the other test equipment I have researched and bought over the years).
I can truthfully say that the launch promotion (as read about via the forum) significantly impacted my hobby by saving me time in tracking down very intermittent protocol faults and ruling out various causes (it turned out to be a corner case in my code), that would have been near impossible to find with my significantly older scopes and PC controlled logic analyzer as I left the scope on for a week with a carefully setup trigger condition. Prior to this experience, I never would have thought that it was worth having any MSO capability or protocol decodes in a scope and thus would not have purchased those capabilities at the future date I would have eventually purchased a modern scope.
To the general goal of a new product promotion being to get the product into the hands of evangelists, I will admit to not having influencing power over a large school or company lab, or a following on social media, but I now own an FPC1500 as well (as sadly for my wallet my interests take me to the 2.4GHz band ruling out most of the cheaper options), and with work being interested in upgrading our scope (a TDS2000B) to a newer scope, I have been advocating for a RTM3004, budget permitting, as we are familiar with my RTB2K from the few times I have brought it in to troubleshoot something our 60MHz scope doesn't do well (and of course all my personal use).
I'd also like to thank Rich for being a helpful company representative on the forum, R&S for retroactively including the Bode plot option in the bundle (and the promotion in the first place, if that wasn't clear above), and R&S support for very promptly activating the option for me.

And finally,today I somehow found a bug new to version 2.202. I managed to get the displayed trigger level to not actually line up with the waveform shown on the screen. I am not sure what I did to cause this, other than I was using the position offset, and I tried shifting the waveform on the screen later in the day and could not reproduce the issue. See the attached screen shot, it should be fairly clear that the trigger line does not line up with where the wave crosses 0 time and that the trigger voltage matches the point that the screen is displaying but clearly not where the hardware is.
Typos and other errors graciously sponsored by my brain and/or the time of day.

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2381 on: February 13, 2019, 05:52:57 pm »
I want to thank everyone here on the forum and elsewhere, but especially this forum, for the reviews, discussion, and information provided about the RTB2000 (and the other test equipment I have researched and bought over the years).
I can truthfully say that the launch promotion (as read about via the forum) significantly impacted my hobby by saving me time in tracking down very intermittent protocol faults and ruling out various causes (it turned out to be a corner case in my code), that would have been near impossible to find with my significantly older scopes and PC controlled logic analyzer as I left the scope on for a week with a carefully setup trigger condition. Prior to this experience, I never would have thought that it was worth having any MSO capability or protocol decodes in a scope and thus would not have purchased those capabilities at the future date I would have eventually purchased a modern scope.
To the general goal of a new product promotion being to get the product into the hands of evangelists, I will admit to not having influencing power over a large school or company lab, or a following on social media, but I now own an FPC1500 as well (as sadly for my wallet my interests take me to the 2.4GHz band ruling out most of the cheaper options), and with work being interested in upgrading our scope (a TDS2000B) to a newer scope, I have been advocating for a RTM3004, budget permitting, as we are familiar with my RTB2K from the few times I have brought it in to troubleshoot something our 60MHz scope doesn't do well (and of course all my personal use).
I'd also like to thank Rich for being a helpful company representative on the forum, R&S for retroactively including the Bode plot option in the bundle (and the promotion in the first place, if that wasn't clear above), and R&S support for very promptly activating the option for me.

And finally,today I somehow found a bug new to version 2.202. I managed to get the displayed trigger level to not actually line up with the waveform shown on the screen. I am not sure what I did to cause this, other than I was using the position offset, and I tried shifting the waveform on the screen later in the day and could not reproduce the issue. See the attached screen shot, it should be fairly clear that the trigger line does not line up with where the wave crosses 0 time and that the trigger voltage matches the point that the screen is displaying but clearly not where the hardware is.
Thanks AlexFerro - appreciate the kind words.  For the bug, I'll submit this to our system, but you might also try running a self-alignment to see if it solves this as I haven't seen it on my units.

-Rich

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2382 on: February 13, 2019, 05:54:08 pm »
Hi Folks - all PMs replied.  If you didn't receive one, it's because your inbox is full  :)

-Rich

Offline TheNewLab

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2383 on: February 13, 2019, 06:04:30 pm »
Regarding anti-glare screens. I just put screen protectors on all of my screens -test instruments - smart phones, even gator glass tablets.

Works for me.

Offline AlexFerro

• Contributor
« Reply #2384 on: February 13, 2019, 07:18:59 pm »
Rich,
I just managed to reproduce it again.
Turns out that it was my fault after all. The trigger was set to AC coupled as I was running the Bode Plot application and it sets the trigger mode to AC coupled, as well as the input coupling to AC (which is indicated in the channel info bar at the bottom). And since I had not myself gone and changed the trigger settings I had not thought to check that feature. It is correctly indicated in pop out trigger menu. Not a Bug.

However, as a corollary to this, it would be nice to indicate the trigger coupling (and possibly the other settings) somewhere visible, maybe in the little box circled that shows 2.42V. Kinda like how the Channel info bar shows the probe scale (1:1 or otherwise),  Bw limiting, DC/AC, etc when you have those modes selected.
Typos and other errors graciously sponsored by my brain and/or the time of day.

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline riyadh144

• Supporter
« Reply #2385 on: February 16, 2019, 05:25:43 am »
I am in the market of a new scope and this seems like a great option, I know the answer to my question is probably out there but I have went through 20 pages here and the product pages on testequity and tequipment and I didn't find it.

Is the mixed signal a hardware option, if I bought the 300MHz upgraded option without the MSO option, and wanted to upgrade later would I be able to do that online?

Also is there any deals on the scope now or in the near future?

Anyway great scope and thanks for the amazing thread it was fun to read.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2386 on: February 16, 2019, 11:56:45 am »
If you want to use the digital input you'll need to buy the MSO probe for the digital inputs. So yes, you have to buy hardware.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline maxspb69

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2387 on: February 16, 2019, 02:36:22 pm »
The "RTB-B1 option" includes a license and  probes for the MSO, as far as I know. It makes no sense to buy a license key without probes and vice versa.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2388 on: February 16, 2019, 02:39:47 pm »
The "RTB-B1 option" includes a license and  probes for the MSO, as far as I know. It makes no sense to buy a license key without probes and vice versa.
It would be nice to be able to buy the probes seperately. For example when they break or you want to leave a set of probes attached to a project (yes, that happens).
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline gsocker

• Contributor
« Reply #2389 on: February 16, 2019, 03:32:32 pm »

It would be nice to be able to buy the probes seperately. For example when they break or you want to leave a set of probes attached to a project (yes, that happens).

I think this would be RT-ZL03 for the RTB2000. Of course, they cost 495 USD per pod...

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2390 on: February 16, 2019, 10:46:54 pm »
Hi Folks - all our scopes have the ability to upgrade after the fact to an MSO.  Our 1000/2000/3000/4000 embedded scopes all require a license on the scope in addition to the probe set.  We put the comparators in the pods which is part of the reason they are more expensive, but I'm fairly certain the flying leads are available for separate purchase so you could leave a lower cost item attached to a DUT and just move the pods.  Let me know if anyone needs me to find that part number.

-Rich

Offline Robaroni

• Frequent Contributor
  • Retired EE
    • Design Specialties
« Reply #2391 on: February 16, 2019, 10:55:04 pm »
Hi Folks - all our scopes have the ability to upgrade after the fact to an MSO.  Our 1000/2000/3000/4000 embedded scopes all require a license on the scope in addition to the probe set.  We put the comparators in the pods which is part of the reason they are more expensive, but I'm fairly certain the flying leads are available for separate purchase so you could leave a lower cost item attached to a DUT and just move the pods.  Let me know if anyone needs me to find that part number.

-Rich

Rich,
I really impressed with R&S!
Thanks,
Rob

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2392 on: February 16, 2019, 10:55:56 pm »
Thanks Rob - appreciate the kind words!

-Rich

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2393 on: February 16, 2019, 10:56:52 pm »
Hi Folks - all PMs replied.

-Rich

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
« Reply #2394 on: February 16, 2019, 11:10:59 pm »
 We put the comparators in the pods which is part of the reason they are more expensive,

Yes, they are 4 x ADCMP562BRQ â 6 EUR (DK & co but obsolet), but you offer good service which then balances it out again.

:-+   ;)

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2395 on: February 16, 2019, 11:32:20 pm »
 We put the comparators in the pods which is part of the reason they are more expensive,

Yes, they are 4 x ADCMP562BRQ â 6 EUR (DK & co but obsolet), but you offer good service which then balances it out again.

:-+   ;)
Ha!  I knew the second I posted that I was going to get beat up  :palm:  You're right, the comparators aren't expensive.   I guess my point was the ability to disconnect the flying leads which are less expensive.  And thanks for the note on the service - R&S as a whole tries really hard.  We aren't perfect, but I'd personally put us up there with the best.

-Rich

The following users thanked this post: glowman, hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2396 on: February 18, 2019, 04:20:04 pm »

-Rich

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2397 on: February 20, 2019, 07:03:21 pm »

Best,
Rich

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2398 on: February 21, 2019, 11:19:02 pm »

-Rich

Offline Aidanator7000

• Contributor
« Reply #2399 on: February 27, 2019, 05:40:41 am »
Hey all

I'm considering an RTB2004 and found that R&S have a bargain store where they sell (as far as I can tell) refurbished equipment. Does anyone have any experience with this store and can you tell me if the units come as new (with all accessories) with a warranty? Also I presume global shipping is offered?

On another note I have been looking at potentially purchasing it instead from element14/newark and I see they have the base model listed for $2080 USD on their US website while it is about $3800 NZD on their NZ website (excluding GST). 

https://www.newark.com/rohde-schwarz/rtb2004/digital-storage-osc-70mhz-4-ch/dp/11AC0569
https://nz.element14.com/rohde-schwarz/rtb2004-rtb2k-74/digital-storage-osc-70mhz-2-ch/dp/2723115?st=rtb2004

I am curious as to why the NZ site has it listed for so much more when at the current exchange rate 2080 USD is just over $3000 NZD... anyone know the reasoning for this?....

And i thought that price hike was ridiculous till I contacted my local distributor who quoted between $5-6k for the base model.

Thanks for any help, Aidan

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf