Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 809788 times)

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
US doesn't get it, those are unavailable in our market.

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
That's weird. A regulation thing?

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
I have heard about regulations regarding that but I don't have any links. It is in the datasheet that it's not available in US market though.

Online egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Hi,

it is probably much too dangerous. What not all can happen, if this feature come in wrong hands :)

best regards
egonotto

Offline rowifi

• Contributor
Not being an owner does not mean I haven't used the scope in depth. The scope was on evaluation in preparation to buy it with the particular aim to do said measurements of subsequent triggered segment captures.
Measuring the event timing change between each capture requires the scope to display on screen more than a single capture as the segments are replayed.
Without having persistence (overlaying) of separate segments then measuring the differences  is not possible. I can't recall the exact function name.
I'm sorry if some R&S scope fans are triggered by my pointing out flaws but I have plenty of videos of the problem which have been received by R&S who have acknowledge the bug.
As mentioned, few owners probably use all features, many here are just hobbiests, not all will have the extended memory options either.
I really don't get the hostility shown for simply pointing out facts.
Fact is the Rigol 7000 was evaluated prior to this and was a disaster due to bugs. At least R&S engaged. Unfortunately to my knowledge the bug has not been resolved  yet.

Offline rowifi

• Contributor
What specifically doesn't work? I'm curious as someone who has used segmented memory and playback for analysis. I'm not sure what you mean by overlay function. Are you referring to a saved waveform?
PM you with link

The following users thanked this post: maginnovision

Offline Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

• Frequent Contributor
Hi Folks - all PMs replied.

-Rich

Offline artelse

• Regular Contributor
FYI: There's a whole bunch of RTB2004's and RTM3Ks and a load of other test gear up on auction site:
https://www.troostwijkauctions.com/uk/da-elekmess/01-29457/20/

For example:
https://www.troostwijkauctions.com/uk/oscilloscope-4-channel/03-29457-33390-5714971/

But seeing the current price reduction, one might wonder if it's worth it.

Offline YetAnotherTechie

• Regular Contributor
Here's my analysis, please don't let that discourage you from posting other auction deals!! I've bought good stuff on other occasions.

RTMs with fee, without VAT: The 500Mhz is 222eur less than a new fully loaded 1GHz with the offer.(8378-8600)
The 350Mhz is 2228eur less than the 1GHz offer.(6372-8600)
The 200Mhz is 1586eur less than a new one.(3894-5480)
None have software options, If all of them are without warranty or only one year left instead of 3, and they don't have the 4x500MHz passive probes, then:
the first is a plain stupid bad bad deal.
the second is bad deal: you can get a new 200 plus all soft options + a free active/differential/current probe for 263eur more.
the third is so so, i'm on the market for one and i wouldn't bid. R&S already ignore you if you're not a company, for no warranty and no support it would have to be half price or have all soft options.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
R&S already ignore you if you're not a company, for no warranty and no support it would have to be half price or have all soft options.

That's not my experience at all.

Offline JxR

• Supporter

I wouldn't say my experience has been that they ignore me.  The US staff does respond, but then if the question has to be sent to Germany....then my question seems to enter a black hole and pretty much never returns with a response.  For instance I have a new power supply from R&S.  It is completely missing a feature that is clearly in the datasheet, and is one of the reason I purchased the device.  The US team has responded a couple of times (they have no idea why the feature is missing), but R&S in Germany remains silent.

Rich here with R&S is obviously responsive and interacts with us.  I haven't bothered him with my one question though since he seems to be a scope guy, and he would have to end up asking Germany as well.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 06:20:43 pm by JxR »

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
I have received answers but like others once things head to Germany it's likely to be a while before you get an answer and even then it's usually not good. So US support seems good, Germany may not care.

• Frequent Contributor

I wouldn't say my experience has been that they ignore me.  The US staff does respond, but then if the question has to be sent to Germany....then my question seems to enter a black hole and pretty much never returns with a response.  For instance I have a new power supply from R&S.  It is completely missing a feature that is clearly in the datasheet, and is one of the reason I purchased the device.  The US team has responded a couple of times (they have no idea why the feature is missing), but R&S in Germany remains silent.

Rich here with R&S is obviously responsive and interacts with us.  I haven't bothered him with my one question though since he seems to be a scope guy, and he would have to end up asking Germany as well.
Shoot me a PM and I'll get you an answer  :-+

-Rich

The following users thanked this post: dr.diesel, egonotto, JxR

Offline JxR

• Supporter

-Rich

Just want to say to all the R&S scope owners, that we are very lucky to have someone like Rich here.  Some of us (myself included) would have preferred the current promotions were a bit more flexible.  For myself at least, that is mainly because I would love a reasonable upgrade path from my RTB2004 to a RTM3004 (which would include selling the RTB to fund the RTM by necessity).

Regardless, not many vendors here have such a consistent presence.  Lately, Brad from Keithley has been great, and Daniel from Keysight does pop up from time to time, but I see Rich here just about every single week responding to us.  Even if that is only: "All PMs replied"...he is still here.  Thanks Rich.  You honestly didn't have do anything, but offering to take my concerns directly to the product manager in Munich for my new NGL is very generous of you, and I appreciate it.

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, dr.diesel, Kean, hwj-d, 2N3055, Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

• Frequent Contributor

-Rich

Just want to say to all the R&S scope owners, that we are very lucky to have someone like Rich here.  Some of us (myself included) would have preferred the current promotions were a bit more flexible.  For myself at least, that is mainly because I would love a reasonable upgrade path from my RTB2004 to a RTM3004 (which would include selling the RTB to fund the RTM by necessity).

Regardless, not many vendors here have such a consistent presence.  Lately, Brad from Keithley has been great, and Daniel from Keysight does pop up from time to time, but I see Rich here just about every single week responding to us.  Even if that is only: "All PMs replied"...he is still here.  Thanks Rich.  You honestly didn't have do anything, but offering to take my concerns directly to the product manager in Munich for my new NGL is very generous of you, and I appreciate it.
Thanks for the kind words!  I know interacting with a large company can be tough - hopefully I can smooth some of that for you all.  And I know I won't be able to "fix" everything, but I'm happy to try to do what I can.

Thanks again - I appreciate it!
Rich

The following users thanked this post: JxR

Offline sdouble

• Frequent Contributor
I just ordered a rtm3004 with full option package. I could test the scope for a couple of weeks before ordering.
I was a big lecroy fan. I'm now happy with my new rtm4003.
Just a complain on subpar quality of the rotating button imho. That's really a pitty.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 07:57:33 pm by sdouble »

Offline JxR

• Supporter
I just ordered a rtm3004 with full option package. I could test the scope for a couple of weeks before ordering.
I was a big lecroy fan. I'm now happy with my new rtm4003.
Just a complain on subpar quality of the rotating button imho. That's really a pitty.

Nice!  There is a thread just for the RTM3004 located here: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rs-rtm3004-the-swiss-knife-oscilloscope/150/
Be sure to drop by and let them know what you think.

Online egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Hello,

how can you load a arbitrary waveform from PC?

Best regards
egonotto

Online egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Hallo,

thanks PeDRe.

It does not work for me.

In "Steuerung mittels SCPI" I write
:WGEN:ARB:FILE:NAME "/INT/REFERENCE/PWM_UNIPOL.CSV"

and got 0,"No error"

Than I write
:WGEN:ARB:FILE:OPEN
and got
-200,"Execution error"

PWM_UNIPOL.CSV is a file from Rohde & Schwarz.

Best regards
egonotto

Online egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Hallo Peter,

danke. Now it works :)

I think the generator was enabled too before.

As I use VISTA I can not use your messinstrumente.exe because the driver does not work for VISTA :(

The next step is to bring data from PC to the scope.

Best regards
egonotto

Online egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Hallo Peter,

danke. I will try to install a driver to use your program.

What should I use
● USB TMC (Test & Measurement Class)
● USB VCP (Virtual Com Port)
● USB MTP (Media Transfer Protocol)?

It seems Rohde & Schwarz don't want that we copy files from PC to the scope.
What a pity.

I try
:MMEM:DATA "/USB_FRONT/TEST.TRF","d:test2.cvs"
in Steuerung mittels SCPI
This give no error but too no file in /USB_FRONT :(

Best regards
egonotto

« Last Edit: June 13, 2019, 06:45:12 pm by egonotto »

Online egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Hallo Peter,

danke für Deine Hilfe.

With USB-TMC I got your program to work. But than I lose the LAN-connection.

I want remote access using a web browser and want load a waveform file from PC to load in the generator. This seems not possible :(

Best regards
egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Hi Folks - all PMs replied. 

-Rich

Offline Dexter23

Hello fellow RTB2004 users,

I'm not sure if my problem with this scope is a bug or user error, please help me to figure this out.

I can't get my scope (RTB2004 firmware v2.202) to trigger on logic channels only (it works fine if i analize a protocol, but this is just some simple digital signal).

For my current setup i only use the logic channels D0...D7 (no analog)
- D0 is connected to a low frequency (250Hz) 3.3V logic signal
- D1 is connected to a 500Hz logic signal
- The trigger is setup is set to Edge, rising edge, D1 (or D0 makes no difference), Threshold 1.4V, hold off is off
I am unable to get the scope to (normal) trigger on this signal.

When i lower the frequency of my signal to lets say 1hz i see the arrows (next to D7-0 channel indicator at the bottom of the screen) for channel 0 and 1 change with my signal, so it is being read, but no trigger event occurs.

I can get a display when i force trigger or in 'auto' mode but not in normal mode...

Can someone tell me what i do wrong or can somebody reproduce this problem.
Triggering on an analog input on the same signal works fine, also using only the digital inputs to read spi or I2C and triggering on it works fine (using protocol analyzer), but this 'simple' setup does not work (for me).

Please help me solve this.

With kind regards,

Dexter23

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
Does it work when you use pattern trigger?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf