Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 809542 times)

Online egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Hello,

as I think the following is also valid for RTB2K and RTM3k I post the problem here.

If I use hires and save the data with "Save/Load" than i got real 16 bit.
But if I activate a logic channel I got only 10 bit.
the lower 6 bit in the 16 bit sample is always 0.

Best regards
egonotto

Online egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Hello Dexter23,

perhaps the threshold is wrong because the amplitude is too low?
Can you proof this.

Best regards
egonotto

The following users thanked this post: Dexter23

Online egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Hello Peter,

thanks for the answer. I don't notice this.

I see two reasons.

1. They have not enough memory.

2. The sample rate with hires fits not with the sample rate of the digital channel.

In Peak Detect Mode the number of segments goes also down.

If you connect your RTB2k with USB you could see at
Computer\Rohde&Schwarz RTB????\Live Data\Channel\Acquisition Memory
and
Computer\Rohde&Schwarz RTA????\Live Data\Logic\Acquisition Memory
For every active channel there are big files in this directory.

Best regards
egonotto

« Last Edit: June 18, 2019, 12:28:38 am by egonotto »

Offline genghisnico13

• Regular Contributor
Hello fellow RTB2004 users,

I'm not sure if my problem with this scope is a bug or user error, please help me to figure this out.

I can't get my scope (RTB2004 firmware v2.202) to trigger on logic channels only (it works fine if i analize a protocol, but this is just some simple digital signal).

For my current setup i only use the logic channels D0...D7 (no analog)
- D0 is connected to a low frequency (250Hz) 3.3V logic signal
- D1 is connected to a 500Hz logic signal
- The trigger is setup is set to Edge, rising edge, D1 (or D0 makes no difference), Threshold 1.4V, hold off is off
I am unable to get the scope to (normal) trigger on this signal.

When i lower the frequency of my signal to lets say 1hz i see the arrows (next to D7-0 channel indicator at the bottom of the screen) for channel 0 and 1 change with my signal, so it is being read, but no trigger event occurs.

I can get a display when i force trigger or in 'auto' mode but not in normal mode...

Can someone tell me what i do wrong or can somebody reproduce this problem.
Triggering on an analog input on the same signal works fine, also using only the digital inputs to read spi or I2C and triggering on it works fine (using protocol analyzer), but this 'simple' setup does not work (for me).

Please help me solve this.

With kind regards,

Dexter23
There is a bug I reported that if you have HF reject in an analog channel and then change to a digital one, this option remains active although you cannot disable it if you are triggering on a digital channel and this makes it impossible to trigger on a digital channel edge, since it's high frequency.
Hopefully the fix is coming in the next release, but in the meantime look at the triggers reject options with an analog channel as source and disable them before switching the source to a digital one.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, edavid, Kean, hwj-d, Dexter23

Offline Dexter23

Thank you all for the fast reply.

It was the hf-reject on my analog channel that was the problem.
I would not have thought to look there, thank you.

With kind regards,

Dexter23

Offline Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

• Frequent Contributor
Hi Folks - all PMs replied.

Please also note - there is a time-limit on the free K36 upgrade for units with PK1 or the original launch editions.  The time limit is through July 31, 2019. After that, we'll no longer upgrade it for free.

-Rich

Offline riyadh144

• Supporter
Hi,

How can I get the upgrades for RTB2004?

• Frequent Contributor
Hi,

How can I get the upgrades for RTB2004?
Hi - please send me a PM and I'll give you the instructions.

-Rich

• Frequent Contributor
Hi Everyone - All PMs replied.

-Rich

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal

Please also note - there is a time-limit on the free K36 upgrade for units with PK1 or the original launch editions.  The time limit is through July 31, 2019. After that, we'll no longer upgrade it for free.

-Rich

Oh, wow, I have RTB2002 with PK1 and no K36.
Please, Rich, can you send me the instructions to get the free K36 upgrade?
Thanks

• Frequent Contributor

-Rich

The following users thanked this post: hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
Hi Folks - All PMs replied.

-Rich

Online mahi

• Regular Contributor

Does this also apply to the current COM bundle promotions, like the RTB2K-COM4? Or does apply only to older units that were purchased with COM2/COM4/PK1 before K36 was released?

If I purchase the RTB2K-COM4 after July 31 (the promotion runs until the end of the year), is K36 still included?

• Frequent Contributor

Does this also apply to the current COM bundle promotions, like the RTB2K-COM4? Or does apply only to older units that were purchased with COM2/COM4/PK1 before K36 was released?

If I purchase the RTB2K-COM4 after July 31 (the promotion runs until the end of the year), is K36 still included?
Hi Mahi - sorry for the slow reply. K36 is part of the current COM models (where available - the RTH doesn’t have it), as well as current PK1 purchases since K36 was introduced. My comment in red is just for people that bought a launch edition, COM model or PK1 before K36 was introduced. We wanted to give a free upgrade to those people.

-Rich

The following users thanked this post: mahi, Cthulhoid

Offline mubes

• Regular Contributor
  • Do Not Boil
Now being the proud owner of a RTB2K as part of the bundle deal (_HIGHLY_ recommend Batronix, they went well beyond the call of duty) I'm just starting to get my arms around it.

Having a slight problem with the network connection at GbE speed (since I want to help get Sigrok integrated with it...Sigrok and RTB2K will make a killer combination).

With my DLink switch it won't stay connected. Since I happen to have a GbE multi-port cable modem sat next to that I thought I'd try that too. With the CM I generally get a reliable link but on boot it has difficulty establishing the link in the first place. Have tried regular network cables and some decent quality CAT-6 with similar results.

I'm figuring that GbE is a bit of an edge case at the moment so it's possible it's not as well shaken through in the firmware rather than being a hardware problem - has anyone else experienced any issues with it?

Edit: just left a flood ping running for a while, don't think there's a phy-level issue;

$ sudo ping -f 172.26.172.124
PING 172.26.172.124 (172.26.172.124) 56(84) bytes of data.
^C
--- 172.26.172.124 ping statistics ---
4193497 packets transmitted, 4193497 received, 0% packet loss, time 1193843ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 0.105/0.274/40.394/0.126 ms, pipe 3, ipg/ewma 0.284/0.290 ms

Regards

DAVE

« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 04:09:05 pm by mubes »

Offline JxR

• Supporter
I'm figuring that GbE is a bit of an edge case at the moment so it's possible it's not as well shaken through in the firmware rather than being a hardware problem - has anyone else experienced any issues with it?

Having had the scope for over 2 years now, I can say with confidence that this has never been an issue with any  firmware I have used. 

If you are 100% sure about your cable and your setup, then as a last resort I would turn off every single physical device you have that connects to the network.  Only after every single device, router, switch, and modem has been turned off: then  start turning them back on. This will force the ARP tables to be cleared and rebuilt.  It is essential that every single device be turned  off, since all  of them  will store their own tables, and any one of them could be causing the problem (if that is the problem).  Sometimes weird things like this problems  like this can occur, especially if something else used to be plugged into the same port where the RTB2004 now resides.

Another good candidate to verify  is that the IP address is not the same for any two devices.  It would probably be a good idea to switch the RTB2004 over to a port on the switch that is known to be good (after you turn everything off, but before you turn them back on).  That will help rule out that one port on your switch the RTB2004 is currently using.

Also, try swapping the cable out for a known good cable another device is already using.  If you don't have the equipment to test the cable you honestly have no idea if the cable works or not, so using a known good one is essential.

Obviously there could technically be something physically wrong with the RTB2004 hardware port, but it is much safer to assume that it is fine and the problem is in your network.
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 04:23:16 pm by JxR »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
I agree. It is probably a bad cable and the consumer level D-link equipment isn't the best network equipment out there. Also note that the RTB2000 can't fill the Gbit ethernet bandwidth at all. 100Mbit is more than enough. Early on in this thread some people did some benchmark testing.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline mubes

• Regular Contributor
  • Do Not Boil
I agree. It is probably a bad cable and the consumer level D-link equipment isn't the best network equipment out there. Also note that the RTB2000 can't fill the Gbit ethernet bandwidth at all. 100Mbit is more than enough. Early on in this thread some people did some benchmark testing.

The switch is a DGS-1210-24 so it's not from their consumer stuff...indeed, it's served well for a very large number of years. However, I agree that it's much more likely to be a problem on my network, especially given that data are transiting properly once is link is up. It does, however, look like more of a negotiation problem than an operational one....so perhaps this switch is just too long in the tooth nowadays. Its from the early days of GbE and hasn't had a firmware update since 2013.

ID    Time    Log Description    Severity
  1     Nov 7 01:29:31 2009    port 11 link down    info
  2     Nov 7 01:29:28 2009    Port 11 link up, 1Gbps FULL duplex    info
  13    Nov 7 01:28:59 2009    port 11 link down    info
  15    Nov 7 01:28:56 2009    Port 11 link up, 1Gbps FULL duplex    info

'scuse the timestamps, this thing isn't on an external network and can't get a time fix (refer to previous point about f/w updates). Getting the same on multiple ports with multiple cables, and even with fixed addressing rather than dhcp.

The beauty of this thing being R&S is that I don't have to stress too much - even if it is a h/w problem I'm confident they'll sort it whenever I'm ready....but it's good to know that there's no known fragility in the n/w stack.

EDIT: Found it...the scope doesn't like power saving mode on at the switch ports. No idea why, but everything seems stable at GbE now. Thanks for the sounding board!

DAVE
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 05:05:02 pm by mubes »

• Frequent Contributor

-Rich

• Frequent Contributor
Hi Folks - All PMs replied. 

-Rich

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
Quick question , what is the difference exactly between the RTB2k-COM2 and COM4 special promotion offers except the two extra channels?

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
AFAIK, nothing.

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
That would be great, someone was doubting if the com2 would also have the bode plot ability, can someone with a com2 confirm that it has this option ?

• Frequent Contributor
That would be great, someone was doubting if the com2 would also have the bode plot ability, can someone with a com2 confirm that it has this option ?
Yes, the COM2 can handle K36 as well.  But with the current promotion you're better off ordering the COM4 - it's cheaper and you'll get the 4-channels.

-Rich

Offline Kjelt

• Super Contributor
Oh darn, the com2 promotion is only the rtc1k version  :(
The com4 is way over my budget..... have to let the thought go then  :'(

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf