Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 818030 times)

Swirve and 5 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • save the children - chase the cabal
Is there a new version of FW for the RTB2004 coming out anytime soon? The last release was more than a year ago.

I hope too.
The actual version have some bugs around the logik protocol analyzer, signal generator, ...
I sent a bug report to R&S last year.
What's about to share your buglist here?

Offline agdr

• Supporter
    • agdr Audio
... it sounds like all future revisions) won't change the FFT behavior for low frequencies.   

And since I'm sure I'll get asked "why", I didn't get a lot of details but it sounds like there are some limitations in finding a sweet spot for the FFT and the team has decided to optimize for other areas outside of low frequency.

-Rich

Just curious, how low?  What frequency "minimum" did they optimize for?  Audio guy here. :)  Thanks!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2020, 11:27:29 pm by agdr »

Offline bayjelly

• Regular Contributor
The problem is really that the FFT function is insisting on filling its 128k FFT points, even if that takes a very long time and the actual FFT window size is much much smaller than that.

The benefit is that you can change window side and position after capture, which is normally nice, but not worth the downside in low-freq applications.

It would be very nice if instead you could simply force the capture size to be the much smaller window size. But I have a suspicion that the reason this is not changed, is that that could require a larger-than-tiny change of the FPGA logic, rather than just a software change.

The following users thanked this post: Fgrir

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
Is there any chance of making r&s instrument view useful? I can't even connect over USB, only Ethernet. Is this in active development or just maintenance?

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, bgm370

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
The problem is really that the FFT function is insisting on filling its 128k FFT points, even if that takes a very long time and the actual FFT window size is much much smaller than that.

The benefit is that you can change window side and position after capture, which is normally nice, but not worth the downside in low-freq applications.

It would be very nice if instead you could simply force the capture size to be the much smaller window size. But I have a suspicion that the reason this is not changed, is that that could require a larger-than-tiny change of the FPGA logic, rather than just a software change.
Thanks for the good explanation - much better than my attempt a few pages back.
This is why I was asking for something as simple as a toggle for the acquisition behaviour - either operate as now (which would keep the benefit of changing window parameters after acquisition), or limit acquisition memory depth to the current window size (allowing for much faster update rate and more interactive use at low sample rates).
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 10:23:31 am by Hydron »

Offline Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

• Frequent Contributor
Is there any chance of making r&s instrument view useful? I can't even connect over USB, only Ethernet. Is this in active development or just maintenance?
I'm embarrassed to admit I haven't even used it  :-\  Is there something specific you're looking for?  If so, feel free to PM me and I'll talk with Munich about it.

-Rich

Offline Minter

I'm not sure if this has been brought up before but I think I'm seeing a bug in the SPI protocol decoder. I have a SPI master configured for Mode 0 (CPOL=0, CPHA=0), and I have the protocol decoder configured to latch data on the rising edge of SCLK. The SPI master controller that I'm looking at is a little naughty; it sends out 32-bit words in 8-bit bursts, asserting MOSI between bursts. However the data on the MOSI line is always valid at the rising edge of SCLK. The transaction consists of multiple 32-bit words with CS asserted for the duration of the transaction.

In the attached screenshots the master is sending the word 0x01000040 but the scope is decoding the data as 0x30000161. It seems like the decoder is latching MOSI on the falling edge of SCLK, however if I configure the decoder for falling edge I get a different result (0x03010141). Am I just missing something here?

Thanks

Offline JoHr

• Regular Contributor

In the attached screenshots the master is sending the word 0x01000040 but the scope is decoding the data as 0x30000161. It seems like the decoder is latching MOSI on the falling edge of SCLK, however if I configure the decoder for falling edge I get a different result (0x03010141). Am I just missing something here?

Thanks

Hi, have you tried with rising slope on your clock source?

For the fourth image you have send you are decoding on a falling clock slope, which is the same slope when data is changing.
Due to some jitter and the high frequency you get wrong decodings.

A rising edge on clock slope shall bring up a clean decoding  for your setup.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2020, 09:00:16 am by JoHr »
The law of conservation of bugs states that the total amount of  bugs of an isolated system remains constant. Bugs can neither be created nor destroyed; rather, they can be transformed from one form to another.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A

Offline Minter

Hi, have you tried with rising slope on your clock source?

Yes, the protocol decoder was configured for a rising edge clock for the first 3 screenshots. I purposefully misconfigured the scope in the 4th screenshot only to try and get a better understanding of how the decoder is handling clock edges.

Now that I've looked more closely, it looks like there is more granularity on the protocol decoder's MOSI bit trace vs. the corresponding logic analyzer trace. I wonder if the protocol decoder is processing undersampled data? I assumed it was a software decoder operating on the 1.25Gsps trace data.. it would be a shame if not.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
The protocol decoder is using decimated data. What is your clock rate? You are running the SPI at around 60MHz if I'm not mistaken which is over the maximum SPI clock rate.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Minter

Offline Minter

The protocol decoder is using decimated data. What is your clock rate? You are running the SPI at around 60MHz if I'm not mistaken which is over the maximum SPI clock rate.

You're correct, the SPI clock is close to 70 MHz. Do you happen to know the sampling rate or maximum supported clock rate? The only bus speed limitations I could find in the user manual pertained to the UART decoder (3 Mbps.)

Thanks!

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments

You're correct, the SPI clock is close to 70 MHz. Do you happen to know the sampling rate or maximum supported clock rate? The only bus speed limitations I could find in the user manual pertained to the UART decoder (3 Mbps.)

Thanks!
I have managed to push the RTM3004 to 62.5MHz during my testing but the official limit is 25MHz. I assume the RTB2004 has similar limits.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: BU508A, hwj-d, Octane, Minter

Offline Harjit

• Regular Contributor
On my RTB2004, I'm moving the screen left / right using the Horizontal Position knob and the waveforms are moving up and down.

Please find attached four pictures that were taken in sequence with the Horizontal Position knob rotated one click between them.

If you are running on Windows, put the four pictures in the same folder, open one with Photo Viewer and then use the left / right arrow to move between the pictures and you can easily seem them moving up / down. The Orange waveform is the easiest to see the effect on because it is on top of a grid line.

This makes measurements difficult.

Offline matches

• Contributor
So after upgrading to the latest firmware version I thought I would run the Self Alignment routine.

It failed with this message:

Channel: 1
  Alignment not possible.

ERROR-ID: 201-59.1.23014

I followed the instruction to the letter.
I then retried but with a terminator on Channel 1 input and then the Self Alignment passed.

Do I have a problem?

Thanks

Hi, where did you find the instructions?
I have a similar Error.

"Channel: 0
Alignment not possible.

Description: 201-59.0:6"

In the User Manual I could not find any error description.

Regards

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
Are you running the latest firmware (a bit over a year old at this point)? I think there was a fix for calibration issues somewhere along the line - I had similar issues with one firmware but managed to coax it into self-aligning once, and never had problems on later firmwares.

Offline matches

• Contributor
Jep, the latest 2.202 FW is installed.

As it was new, id had an older FW and I could perform a self alignment without errors.

Regards

• Frequent Contributor
Jep, the latest 2.202 FW is installed.

As it was new, id had an older FW and I could perform a self alignment without errors.

Regards
I'll see what I can find out!

-Rich

• Frequent Contributor
On my RTB2004, I'm moving the screen left / right using the Horizontal Position knob and the waveforms are moving up and down.

Please find attached four pictures that were taken in sequence with the Horizontal Position knob rotated one click between them.

If you are running on Windows, put the four pictures in the same folder, open one with Photo Viewer and then use the left / right arrow to move between the pictures and you can easily seem them moving up / down. The Orange waveform is the easiest to see the effect on because it is on top of a grid line.

This makes measurements difficult.
Hi Harjit - running a self alignment should help.

-Rich

Offline stafil

• Regular Contributor
Is there a hack for this?

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
Not to my knowledge. R&S running promotions for most of the time made it not particularly interesting to develop a hack.

The following users thanked this post: stafil

Offline stafil

• Regular Contributor
Not to my knowledge. R&S running promotions for most of the time made it not particularly interesting to develop a hack.

Are the promotions for upgrade, after you buy the scope, or you have to take advantage of them when purchasing the scope?

Offline bayjelly

• Regular Contributor
Are there any promotions for just the upgrades? I bought my RTB2004 with all software options except for the bandwidth upgrade, so it's still at 70MHz. I thought several times about upgrading the bandwidth, but it's easily $1000.

Offline stafil

• Regular Contributor

That's a pity. I would really love an RTB or even an RTM, but I don't think I can justify buying a non-hackable scope.

The following users thanked this post: uski

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
It's unfortunate that no hack exists but I'm not regretting my RTB-COM4 purchase, except maybe that I should've gotten a RTM.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf