Author Topic: Someone ask me to buy which dmm, Keysight 34465A or Keithley DMM6500  (Read 4107 times)

Offline Wintel

• Contributor
Re: Someone ask me to buy which dmm, Keysight 34465A or Keithley DMM6500
« Reply #50 on: August 12, 2019, 06:29:01 pm »
Picture copied from post above:

On my meter (latest firmware), the average changes from 9.999999 to 10.00000 volt when I let a voltage source drift upwards, and reverts from 10.xxxxx to 9.xxxxxx when the voltage passes 10.0 volt downwards. This is because the print format is 7 digits with variable floating point. This must result from the programmer not knowing the instrument's specifications and it's intended use. No instrument designer would present a 6.5 digit DMM without a 7.5 digit average for 10 volt DC.

A clear sign of the programmer's total lack of knowledge or thinking, is the apparent resolution of Peak to Peak. Since one can assume that this number is a subtraction of Minimum from Maximum with a maximum resolution of 1 microvolt in this meter class' typical 20 bit or so ADC), it's apparent resolution in picovolts (4.884417 microvolt is 4,884,417 picovolt) is meaningless and looks embarrassing. Similar cases can be argued for all values presented.

This screen needs reprogramming.

Does DMM6500 have the same print format problem in the 1V and 100V range?

Online hwj-d

• Frequent Contributor
  • The economy of capitalism has NO social mission!
Re: Someone ask me to buy which dmm, Keysight 34465A or Keithley DMM6500
« Reply #51 on: August 12, 2019, 09:02:45 pm »
On my meter (latest firmware), the average changes from 9.999999 to 10.00000 volt when I let a voltage source drift upwards, and reverts from 10.xxxxx to 9.xxxxxx when the voltage passes 10.0 volt downwards. This is because the print format is 7 digits with variable floating point. This must result from the programmer not knowing the instrument's specifications and it's intended use. No instrument designer would present a 6.5 digit DMM without a 7.5 digit average for 10 volt DC.

A clear sign of the programmer's total lack of knowledge or thinking, is the apparent resolution of Peak to Peak. Since one can assume that this number is a subtraction of Minimum from Maximum with a maximum resolution of 1 microvolt in this meter class' typical 20 bit or so ADC), it's apparent resolution in picovolts (4.884417 microvolt is 4,884,417 picovolt) is meaningless and looks embarrassing. Similar cases can be argued for all values presented.

This screen needs reprogramming.
The DMM has some issues not only with his GUI yes. We are all waiting for the overdue Firmwareupdate. For this, I specally posted the first screenshot. Have you seen it?

For my part, I can handle this innovative DMM in such a way that I get the information I need. My Keysight 34461A has other similar drawbacks in its GUI also, its capabilities, and its very own high temperature drift, which makes me prefer the much more flexible DMM6500 all the time.
The german goverment has fired his own nation and all his citizens

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf