Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 807615 times)

Offline madires

• Super Contributor
  • A qualified hobbyist ;)
MSO GBP609
I2C+SPI £418
UART £418

Why do DSO manufacturers miss the fact that there are USB based LAs with much more supported protocols plus a few advantages over a DSO for less money? I fully agree with you that decoding for the most common protocols should be a built-in standard feature.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Why do DSO manufacturers miss the fact that there are USB based LAs with much more supported protocols plus a few advantages over a DSO for less money? I fully agree with you that decoding for the most common protocols should be a built-in standard feature.

I will have my hands on a new low end 2CH entry level scope tomorrow that supposedly has free serial decoding built in.

Offline TheSteve

• Supporter
  • Living the Dream

I will have my hands on a new low end 2CH entry level scope tomorrow that supposedly has free serial decoding built in.

Live unboxing?
VE7FM

Offline AR

• Contributor
Hello Dave ,

Is this new low end 2Ch scope with free decode something different than the R&S.

Offline technogeeky

• Frequent Contributor
  • Older New "New Player" Player Playa'
Chipies

Why is Rhode and Schwartz sad? Awwww.

Offline Jay_Diddy_B

• Super Contributor
Hi,

This is one reason that they are SAD. From the datasheet, the scope does not pass class A therefore:

I wonder what extra precautions you have to take? (tin foil hat ?)

Regards,

Jay_Diddy_B
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 04:29:55 am by Jay_Diddy_B »

Online Bud

• Super Contributor
The "killer features" here are the 10 bit ADC and 10.1" cap touch 1280 x 800 screen. No other scope in the bracket has those.

They can shove it all up their ass if they do not give 50 Ohm input. How possibly it is a problem to add one?
Facebook-free life and Rigol-free shack.

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
The "killer features" here are the 10 bit ADC and 10.1" cap touch 1280 x 800 screen. No other scope in the bracket has those.

They can shove it all up their ass if they do not give 50 Ohm input. How possibly it is a problem to add one?
Its typical in this end of the scope market, 50 ohm input impedance is usually associated with active probes and >500MHz bandwidth.

Offline mtdoc

• Super Contributor

Its typical in this end of the scope market, 50 ohm input impedance is usually associated with active probes and >500MHz bandwidth.

Lots of lower bandwidth scopes have a 50 ohm input and for good reason!
But, it's really not that big of a deal to use a 50 ohm terminator when necessary IMO.

The following users thanked this post: 3db

Offline TerraHertz

• Super Contributor
  • Why shouldn't we question everything?
    • It's not really a Blog
A "true game changer" would be to simply make good scopes, with no ransom payments to enable crippled hardware features. Just make the scope, and price it with a standard profit margin on the manufacturing cost.

'The Game' is this feature upgrade bullshit, that is flatly dishonest. I'd rather not have anything to do with companies that practice such tricks. Don't forget as a buyer you are also paying for the counterproductive development of the security features and obfuscation they had to build into the machine to protect their precious cripple-ware tricks. Elements of the instrument (that you paid for and own) which are inarguably hostile to your use of the instrument to its full potential.
Collecting old scopes, logic analyzers, and unfinished projects. http://everist.org

The following users thanked this post: blackdog

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
'The Game' is this feature upgrade bullshit, that is flatly dishonest.

No, it's not. It's simply business.
You don't have to like it to be sure, but it's not dishonest. It's totally honest, you know exactly what you have to pay up front, and that the hardware is built into the scope, they are not hiding that fact.

I'd rather not have anything to do with companies that practice such tricks.

Then vote with your feet and wallet.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, tuju

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog

So you think that unique performance enhancing stuff like a 10bit ADC and hi-res screen you can't change after the fact are not important, but the most important thing is a 50ohm input that you can simply add yourself with a couple of bucks of common parts? Makes sense  ::)

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, R005T3r

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor
Hello folks - R&S is launching a new MSOX game changer - killer scope  [...]
It comes with advanced features - rather low cost - it is a no brainer ...  [...]

That sounds ever so slightly over the top...
Are you affiliated with R&S in any way, or have other vested interests?
If so, please disclose them.

And no, as witnessed by four pages of posts in 8 hours, it is not a no-brainer...  ::)

The following users thanked this post: tautech, CustomEngineerer

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Hello Dave ,
Is this new low end 2Ch scope with free decode something different than the R&S.

Yes. R&S do not make hobbyist level priced gear.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Live unboxing?

The survey said people hate live shows...

Offline ProBang2

• Frequent Contributor
Live unboxing?

There is anytime an exception possible.

In this case: See it as a special kind of "Mailbag Wednesday"...   :-BROKE  :popcorn:

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
Live unboxing?

:-DD

Offline MrBungle

• Supporter

Offline bitwelder

• Frequent Contributor
BTW, they have direct PDF comparison sheet against:
LeCroy WaveAce 2000
Rigol MSO2000A
Tek TBS2000
Tek MSO2000B
Keysight MSOX2000A

That tell you who they think their competition is, or they are too scared to compare to any others?

I understand that it would take a lot of effort to make it, but perhaps it would be good time to plan a Scope Shootout?

BTW, I wonder if after Keysight and R&S there is some other vendor that is due to refresh their scope lineup soon....

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
They could have at least picked a signal with an anomaly for the Annotation marketing  ::)

If that's the 10.1" screen then it's got to be my 4 year old daughter drawing on it. Could be a handy feature never the less.

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.

Not sure I like the rear handle, seems pretty basic for an expensive scope. I'd much rather something to wrap fingers around.  :-//
Looks easy to drop.  :scared:  :-BROKE
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline ebastler

• Super Contributor

I wonder what's behind the little lid (?) in the lower center?
Clock/backup battery, or some nice surprise feature?

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
No builtin 50 ohm termination does kind of suck.
I'd sooner have auto probe sensing
That usually only works for the manufacturer's own probes so it is pretty useless for generic use. I rather have a good UI to setup the probes.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
http://www.datatec.de/Rohde-Schwarz-RTB2004-Oszilloskop.htm

EUR 1900.-- + VAT
It is interesting that this website lists Hameg MSO probes as an acessoiry. I think there is more Hameg under the hood than R&S. I hope this scope has the BNCs bolted to the front and the PCB properly fixed to the chassis unlike the cheaply built Hameg scopes.

edit: OMG: they use ribbon cable for the MSO probes which cost over 300 euro each:

:palm:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 08:29:51 am by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf