Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 809567 times)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
edit: OMG: they use ribbon cable for the MSO probes which cost over 300 euro each:

:palm:
If I remember correctly, the small box has the comparators in it, converting the sensed input signals into differential signals.
Ribbon cable has close to 100ohms impedance between neighbouring wires, so it is useable for differential signals like LVDS up to many 100MBits/s.
That is true but ribbon cable is the worse choice by far because the insulation is weak (melts quickly) and the wire strands are brittle. Ribbon cable is intended for stationary use inside enclosures.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

• Frequent Contributor
Re: new killer scope - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004
« Reply #126 on: March 14, 2017, 01:33:16 pm »
No separate Y controls  :--
But plenty of buttons :-+

Looks like the touch menus etc. are at the top of the screen, not the bottom.  Not ideal (screen obscured by hand, fatigue) but maybe configurable?
The menus at the top are shortcuts (similar to our toolbar on the RTO/RTE family).  They are configurable.  The main menu is on the righthand side - it pops up but then goes away to allow the waveform to use the full display.  It also has the light pipes around the volt/div knob - no separate Y controls, but relatively straight forward which channel you are changing (and allowed the massive display).  I'll be curious to hear your feedback after using them.

-Rich

Does it support virtual screen as the HMO series does?
No, it does not.

-Rich

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter
Yep, most likely a Hameg. Let's see if they do a promotion with free decode options as they have done in the past. 800 bucks for UART, I2C and SPI is insane.

It's nuts when a new sub $400 scope has them built in as standard. It's sitting in my dumpster, wait for it...

Don't be such a tease! What is it? A Siglent?

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
I would speculate Rigol, as the 1000X and 2000X series from Siglent are fairly recent, and Rigol is the one that should come with a new model, given no new models for a long time, except the DS4000E series, which were not a big success anyhow.

Here is a good marketing slogan for Rigol in the mean time: "We are back!" :)

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
I was going to write Owon or Hantek but Rigol also makes sense.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online ebastler

• Super Contributor
I would speculate Rigol, as the 1000X and 2000X series from Siglent are fairly recent, and Rigol is the one that should come with a new model, given no new models for a long time, except the DS4000E series, which were not a big success anyhow.

Not likely at all, in my opinion. Rigol's most recent scope is the low-end DS1000Z series. Why should they replace that one by a new sub $400 offering (which is what Dave has indicated)? The next thing I would expect from Rigol is a replacement for their 2000 and 4000 series.

My bet is on Siglent, also based on tautech's thinly veiled excitement  ;)

The following users thanked this post: Bud

Offline MrW0lf

• Frequent Contributor
    • lab!fyi

That does not reflect core ideology with supercharged Sin(x)/x etc. I propose: "Got a line? We'll wiggle it!"  :bullshit:
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 02:35:06 pm by MrW0lf »

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
GWInstek or Micsig. Maybe?
My English can be pretty bad, so suggestions are welcome. ;)
Space Weather.
Lightning & Thunderstorms in Real Time.

Offline TheAmmoniacal

• Supporter

I really wish Micsig made conventional oscilloscopes, the handheld ones are nice but - handheld - and the tablet ones are a bit .. toyish (and no knobs!).

Offline Carrington

• Super Contributor
I really wish Micsig made conventional oscilloscopes...
Yeah, that would be nice.
 :popcorn:
My English can be pretty bad, so suggestions are welcome. ;)
Space Weather.
Lightning & Thunderstorms in Real Time.

Offline Frost

• Regular Contributor
Wonder if the original Hameg Mainhausen office is still up and ticking in the wake of R&S?

When I came from Seligenstadt last week I drove through Mainhausen.
It seems to me that at least one smaller office building is still in use by "Hameg" / R&S,
but the other parts with the old production halls are all closed and I think I also saw signs
along the road with rental offerings.

Offline borjam

• Supporter
  • EA2EKH
A better slogan would be "We have studied hard!" because they show an astonishingly toxic lack of attention to detail. They seem to do some clerical work, not actual product development.

Note that I am the owner of a DS1074Z and of course I don´t expect miracles. But, a non properly locking PLL? Lots of math features such  as derivative, etc, but so badly implemented that they are really useless? And I still believe that the DS1000Z has a great value for money. But I think it wouldn't have costed much more to do a better job. It's a matter of of development culture.

So far they are one of the worst examples of the "checkbox approach" to product design.

-- "Hey, Joe, look, LeCroy has a derivative function".

-- "Right, Mike, let's tel Bill to add a derivative function. Hey, Bill, add a button to calculate a derivative and implement a simple derivative function!".

With these products it looks like no real user has been involved in the design and implementation. I'm not speaking about bugs, but serious design errors. A problem that plagues almost all of the Chinese products I have seen, and there are plenty of them.

Traditional manufacturers are much better in that respect. Alas, the prices are significantly higher. But it's great to see them trying to regain ground.

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor

GWI low cost with decode would be THE low cost scope, period.

but according to more or less subtle hints from very specific forum members the name should end with X-E
which points more toward siglent

I guess we'll see... tomorrow, is it?

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
with pattern generator. i hope it can do spi and i2c ... would be cool.
but : no vertical per channel knobs. massive fail.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
The touchscreen, and I think the colouring of the vertical buttons with the currently selected channel may go some way to making this less of an issue once you get used to them.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline voltsandjolts

• Supporter
Granted, its not ideal to have just one vertical control but you get used to it - I had to on my old Tek TDS3000!

Offline pascal_sweden

• Super Contributor
What I don't like in model names, is the E extension which stands for Economy.

This makes me think about the practices some manufacturers did in the early nineties, where they used CR in the model name, indicating Cost Reduction :)

By all means, who is going to be proud to show off to his friend about his new scope that he got, where the E indicates Economy. That means that you were on a low budget in buying your new gadget :)

Offline salviador

• Regular Contributor
    • https://www.youtube.com/user/mancio92M
wowwwww I like!!!!! I want buy one!!

Offline H.O

• Frequent Contributor
By all means, who is going to be proud to show off to his friend about his new scope that he got, where the E indicates Economy.
If you have friends that really cares about that just tell them it stands for Enhanced and not Economy or scrape the letter off you're that embarrassed. You seem more interested in color schemes, what the knobs look like, what font is being used and how exactly the serial number is composed than what the instruments actually do.

Back to the R&S scope in question, how's the screen when it comes to glare and reflections? It looks rather glossy.

The following users thanked this post: CustomEngineerer

Offline BU508A

• Super Contributor
  • Per aspera ad astra
wowwwww I like!!!!! I want buy one!!

I considered to buy a HMO1232 but now I think I'll go for the RTB2004 - 70MHz

Reasons:
- 4 channels input
- 10.1 Inches screen
- 10bit ADC
- 1.25GS/channel
- up to 20 MSPS memory depth
- 50k waveforms/s
- nearly the same price
- I do not need really 300MHz and if I want, I can upgrade to 100MHz which is affordable (but imho way too expensive anyway)
“Chaos is found in greatest abundance wherever order is being sought. It always defeats order, because it is better organized.”            - Terry Pratchett -

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Now calculate the impedance of a passive probe at 300MHz. The signal gets loaded so much that you won't get a decent representation of what signal is actually there. Feedthroughs are also nothing more than a band aid because the scope's input capacitance will screw things up.

I guess there really is no pleasing some people.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Now calculate the impedance of a passive probe at 300MHz. The signal gets loaded so much that you won't get a decent representation of what signal is actually there. Feedthroughs are also nothing more than a band aid because the scope's input capacitance will screw things up.
I guess there really is no pleasing some people.
OK I'm sorry the laws of physics are the way they are. I'll change them ASAP for you.

Offline real69

Found 2 video on youtube

Offline Neganur

• Supporter
I considered to buy a HMO1232 but now I think I'll go for the RTB2004 - 70MHz

Reasons:
- 4 channels input
- 10.1 Inches screen
- 10bit ADC
- 1.25GS/channel
- up to 20 MSPS memory depth
- 50k waveforms/s
- nearly the same price
- I do not need really 300MHz and if I want, I can upgrade to 100MHz which is affordable (but imho way too expensive anyway)

I too think it's a nice scope, but maybe wait and see what happens with promotions, reviews etc.

I'm a little confused that it's advertised as "MSOX game changer" while it doesn't do that unless you fork out 700 EUR for the option (and then it still doesn't do the decoding...or does it?)
It seems you get 160 MSa memory in the segmented memory option mode so maybe future options have more memory as well? (pure speculation)

PS.  28,3 dB(A) noise.
PPS. that probe compensation routine looks interesting!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 09:06:57 pm by Neganur »

Offline DaveW

• Frequent Contributor
    • WattCircuit
If there are any particular questions, I can go through them tonight when I get back from work and try and answer some!
Can you do some pics/vid of the various colour-graded and inverse brightness modes, ideally with a nontrivial waveform like analogue video or AM.

Done and done, using an FM signal to really show the colour grading, and took a few with an AM modulation signal. Will go into this in a bit more detail soon as well. We've put some images and a short video here,
https://goo.gl/photos/Hxo3RtH6BPgohoSP6

The touchscreen, and I think the colouring of the vertical buttons with the currently selected channel may go some way to making this less of an issue once you get used to them.

The colour coding of the kpbs really does help usability a lot and I find I don't miss the separate controls using this, or indeed another R&S scope which has the same functionality. Definitely less of an issue than you'd expect.

By all means, who is going to be proud to show off to his friend about his new scope that he got, where the E indicates Economy.
If you have friends that really cares about that just tell them it stands for Enhanced and not Economy or scrape the letter off you're that embarrassed. You seem more interested in color schemes, what the knobs look like, what font is being used and how exactly the serial number is composed than what the instruments actually do.

Back to the R&S scope in question, how's the screen when it comes to glare and reflections? It looks rather glossy.

The screen looks really bad in the videos as we use a load of lighting pointing right at the scope, but in normal use it's very nice, and the high resolution screen comes out great. I've been using under pretty standard electronic bench lighting conditions, with lighting straight above it (mounted below a shelf) and had no problems at all.

with pattern generator. i hope it can do spi and i2c ... would be cool.

Although it's a shame the levels aren't variable, they can spit out a lot of different protocols. I've put a screenshot on our blog, but to summarise here,
Counter, Arbitrary, Manual, UART, SPI, I2C, CAN and LIN. Someone needs to make a nice comparator with a variable supply to fix the last oversight and it's a very nice feature!

The screenshot showing this, plus loads of photos of the scope are at the link below. Hope that helps, and if more questions come up, we'll try to answer them!

http://wattcircuit.com/2017/03/14/watt-circuit-rohde-schwarz-rtb2004-oscilloscope-overview/

« Last Edit: March 14, 2017, 09:02:12 pm by DaveW »

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, nugglix

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf