Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 819746 times)

Offline Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

The following users thanked this post: lem_ix, norks

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
How does this scope handle SPI decodes ? Does it use the whole acquisition memory or just what is being displayed on the screen ? Can you search through the captured record for a certain byte pattern ?
You can zoom in an decode anything in the acquisition memory, as well as showing a simultaneous full/zoomed view.
There is a "Protocol" entry in the "search type " manu but it's greyed out - according to help this should be able to search for trigger events but AFAICS it doesn't appear to work (tried with UART trigger)

Search is a great feature to have which I have seen on some Tek scopes. Probably on the to-do list with this scope ;)

On another topic have you measured the waveform update rate ? Does it slow down with measurements or protocol decoding switched on like the Tek MDO scopes do ?

cheers
« Last Edit: April 15, 2017, 12:47:08 am by snoopy »

Offline oh2hyt

• Contributor
  • I lurk mainly
And if you start measuring wfm/s, include also different memory depths. Also segmented memory / history on vs. off - if it can be turned off?

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
And if you start measuring wfm/s, include also different memory depths. Also segmented memory / history on vs. off - if it can be turned off?

There will be  a sweet spot which yields the best performance. Usually displaying a 1 MHz signal yields the best capture rate on most scopes. However it will be interesting to see how performance deteriorates with various options switched on. Perhaps Mike can do a video on this ;)

Offline mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
Only done some very brief tests on update rate - definitely does decrease with higher memory.
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline theatrus

• Frequent Contributor
Hit a case of a bad out-of-box failure on my RTB2004 (COM4 bundle at the promo price from Newark, last one in stock last week).

Effectively, the vertical system .. doesn't work. At all. Full span noise at every vertical setting. And then Channels 1-3 stopped display anything, and the UI had multi-second lag when they were enabled, leaving channel 4 as the only noise generator.

On the upside, even though it was past business hours on Friday when I sent in the support e-mail, I got a response phone call back in minutes. Sadly the front-line tech wasn't able to diagnose much other than "it sounds broken" but they'll follow up Monday. Hoping for a faster exchange option compared to returning it to Newark. 
Software by day, hardware by night; blueAcro.com

Offline Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

• Frequent Contributor
@theatrus - I just PM'd you.

-Rich

The following users thanked this post: dr.diesel

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
In case anyone is still looking, Alliedelec shows 2 promos in stock.

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
Has anyone picked up the front cover for these scopes? any impressions? When not using the scope, it's pushed back on my desk, but seems it would be nice to not worry about punching the face of the scope when doing other things.

Offline agdr

• Supporter
    • agdr Audio
In case anyone is still looking, Alliedelec shows 2 promos in stock.

Good find!  Here is a direct link:

http://www.alliedelec.com/rohde-and-schwarz-rtb2k-com4-launch-edition-/70979679/

Also this cryptic note in the posting:

For additional quantity inquiries, please contact your local sales office.
This item may not be backordered online. Maximum order amount is 2.

I'll take a guess that note translates to "if you call us we can order a few more at the promo price once the two in stock are sold".
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 10:18:01 am by agdr »

Offline ws2812b

• Regular Contributor
This one also looks interesting
http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-Rohde-Schwarz-RTB2004-300MHz-4-16-Channel-MSO-Full-Options-R-S-RTB2K-COM4-/352025049261

Seems like somebody got a nUS package and now sells it on eBay? And he is shipping worldwide! I was anyhow wondering why not more people grasped this opportunity. At least back then, when I bought mine, nobody offered this.

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
http://m.ebay.com/itm/New-Rohde-Schwarz-RTB2004-300MHz-4-16-Channel-MSO-Full-Options-R-S-RTB2K-COM4-/352025049261

Seems like somebody got a nUS package and now sells it on eBay? And he is shipping worldwide! I was anyhow wondering why not more people grasped this opportunity. At least back then, when I bought mine, nobody offered this.

That's a bit cheeky of them. In Australia that sort of thing is called scalping and typically happens with football tickets to the grand finals.

Offline ws2812b

• Regular Contributor
It's essentially an abitrage business. And I guess if I happened to live in the US I would have gone for it as well.

Still, I like your sports metaphor. I'm just picturing a guy having the osciloscope below his cloak standing in front of a stadium...

Offline snoopy

• Frequent Contributor
    • Analog Precision
It's essentially an abitrage business. And I guess if I happened to live in the US I would have gone for it as well.

Still, I like your sports metaphor. I'm just picturing a guy having the osciloscope below his cloak standing in front of a stadium...

These days they flog the tickets on ebay in an auction environment ;)

Offline dr.diesel

• Super Contributor
  • Cramming the magic smoke back in...
My Promo order from TEq was just charged, ordered on March 17th, so maybe some of those are getting ready to ship out.

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
This was pretty much predictable. More or less the same with the Keysight scope giveaways. Interesting to see though how much it will fetch. It won't be the last turning up on Ebay for sure.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Joel_l

• Frequent Contributor
Does seem odd  there are not more of these. I agree it will be interesting to see what it sells for. Might indicate a more realistic value for the scope and  its options. 8K is not realistic too me.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 01:41:53 pm by Joel_l »

Offline ws2812b

• Regular Contributor
This was also what I was wondering back when I bought mine. I guess the difference to the KS give away is that 2080$ is still a hurdle which only let's people buy the scopes if they think they need it. Or as I as a proud owner would say: is just fun to use, so you don't want to give it away again. And I even paid the European price: I.e. full. Which obviously makes it even more conciously decided.

Let's see what happens to the giveaway of mjlorton ( https://youtu.be/OqyVAHUIBRo ). This is closer to the KS give away scenario. Also Dave mentioned that he has one too give away? But there I haven't seen yet how to get it? Provably he gives it to his patreons?

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
Has anyone picked up the front cover for these scopes? any impressions? When not using the scope, it's pushed back on my desk, but seems it would be nice to not worry about punching the face of the scope when doing other things.

I ordered one with my scope but it still doesn't even have a shipping date.

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
This was pretty much predictable. More or less the same with the Keysight scope giveaways. Interesting to see though how much it will fetch. It won't be the last turning up on Ebay for sure.

The answer is US $3,250

After eBay, PayPal, and shipping costs to the seller that is still a very nice profit. At least 3 bidders were willing to go $3,000 or more. Of course if more listings show up on eBay the price might quickly drop.

Offline ws2812b

• Regular Contributor
The answer is US $3,250

After eBay, PayPal, and shipping costs to the seller that is still a very nice profit. At least 3 bidders were willing to go $3,000 or more. Of course if more listings show up on eBay the price might quickly drop.

Is Easter Sunday a particularly bad or good day on eBay in the US? In Austria I would not let my auction end there. Although, if the weather is as today ...?

Online HighVoltage

• Super Contributor
In Germany, eBay is always bad for seller of test equipment on big holidays. Or in other words, it is really good for buyers on those days. People are occupied with family stuff.

There are 3 kinds of people in this world, those who can count and those who can not.

Offline agdr

• Supporter
    • agdr Audio
That eBay seller screwed up a bit.  In addition to the holiday they only gave the auction a week.  Larger ticket items do better in a 14 day auction with a "buy it now" button in case someone gets anxious.  Then they didn't wait until all the US distributors were done with their promo sales, ie the posts above about Allied and Continental.  US buyers wouldn't pay more than $2080 if they can get it for that from a dealer.  He must have been expecting all non-US sales.  He also didn't mention that the 3 year warranty is fully transferable (it is, I've checked).  USPS priority international may not be end-to-end trackable in some countries like DHL is.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 07:03:28 pm by agdr »

Offline Howardlong

• Super Contributor

That's a bit cheeky of them. In Australia that sort of thing is called scalping and typically happens with football tickets to the grand finals.

I am not so sure. Earlier, ISTR in this thread, a reason given why R&S were not apparently doing the same offer in other regions was because distributors were worried about disenfranchising their other scope suppliers. If that is the case, to me, that sounds like price fixing.

I am sure we will see several more on eBay.

Offline norks

• Contributor
Some photos of RTB2000 can be seen here. https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipORowip50d0SIq26g0MoEzFVsTgVzNOSNdIfmpnJGQBGxmgobQva7xiLUPnVpOzMA?key=VFljbVQ0aEVGdENwTV9sMmotV3g3cmx3SWNOS2dR

That envelope + PD mode makes a pretty picture : )

Noticed in some of the power supply close-ups with recessed terminals they look gold/copper colored inside. Makes the cheap ebay terminals I got seem extra shabby.

The chrome finish rings on the Lecroy knobs look tacky after seeing them on Siglent scopes first. Funny how subconscious associations like that work even though it's irrelevant to the product's performance.

Dr.Diesel, I also saw a charge from TEq on my cc recently. Expected ship date hasn't changed though. It could just be a periodic authorization charge to make sure funds are still available for pending orders. I saw in the faq somewhere those auths usually disappear in a few days.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf