Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 809517 times)

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
Re: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004
« Reply #2275 on: December 05, 2018, 06:22:15 pm »
IMHO the file selection diaglog should dissapear before saving the file.
Of course
OTOH there is a dedicated button for taking screenshots.
True, however if, for example, you wanted to enter meaningful filenames before saving each screenshot, the screenshot menu is effectively useless.
Agreed, especially given the ease of input of filenames with an onscreen keyboard vs a rotary encoder. If educational users need it for their classroom manuals then please supply a few examples of this menu for them to include and make it usable again for the rest of us (the vast majority of users).
Link is still 404 BTW!

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2276 on: December 05, 2018, 06:37:47 pm »
Agreed, especially given the ease of input of filenames with an onscreen keyboard vs a rotary encoder. If educational users need it for their classroom manuals then please supply a few examples of this menu for them to include and make it usable again for the rest of us (the vast majority of users).
They don't even need to do that -  just need to press the dedicated snapshot button while the menu is open
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2277 on: December 05, 2018, 06:49:49 pm »
Link is still 404 BTW!

This one? Worked fine for me yesterday and it still does:

Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Online mikeselectricstuff

• Super Contributor
    • Mike's Electric Stuff
« Reply #2278 on: December 05, 2018, 06:55:34 pm »
Link is still 404 BTW!

This one? Worked fine for me yesterday and it still does:

page is there but files are not
Youtube channel:Taking wierd stuff apart. Very apart.
Mike's Electric Stuff: High voltage, vintage electronics etc.
Day Job: Mostly LEDs

Offline PA0PBZ

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2279 on: December 05, 2018, 07:04:58 pm »
page is there but files are not

Ah yes, my bad  :palm:
Keyboard error: Press F1 to continue.

Offline edavid

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2280 on: December 05, 2018, 08:55:59 pm »
I see your point, but we have a number of customers who use the RTB2000 in education where they write lab manuals, etc and want the menu to show.  So it's sort of a catch22.
-Rich
It's not a Catch-22, it's another option that should be added to the menu.  Then all sensible people could turn it off.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2281 on: December 06, 2018, 01:25:10 am »
After about a day... what is the point in updating the links but not putting the files up? I am going to get to work in a couple hours and thought I'd start with patch notes and updating. Maybe not.

Offline RGK

• Contributor
« Reply #2282 on: December 06, 2018, 04:24:43 am »
Download is now available.  Go get 'em boys!

BK

The following users thanked this post: edavid, maginnovision

Offline MikeP

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2283 on: December 06, 2018, 07:24:00 am »
  I think it will be interesting to potential users. Burst, square and abs. value as example... Math menu also.

Many thanks to the manufacturer!
  Waiting for the bode-plot function.  :)

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2284 on: December 06, 2018, 09:07:03 am »
I must say the release notes undersell the maths changes a bit! Will pass judgement once I have a proper play, but looks like a great start.

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2285 on: December 06, 2018, 09:31:17 am »
One change I'm not crazy about, but I'll get used to, is the smaller channel bars which are smaller still when off. Of course all on they're the same size(4ch, logic, math) but for now definitely feels weird. Also mildly disappointed the vertical zoom bug carried over but overall a really nice update.

Offline PolarCrew

« Reply #2286 on: December 07, 2018, 12:21:11 pm »
My RTB2004 serial bus .csv saving problems are gone with upgrade  :)  Thank you R&S :-+

Offline Doug_T

• Contributor
« Reply #2287 on: December 12, 2018, 03:45:55 pm »
Is anyone planning to create a video of the expanded RTB2004 math capabilities?  If possible, I would love to see more on it’s FFT capability as well!

Thanks in advance... :popcorn:

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #2288 on: December 13, 2018, 07:01:35 am »
The math update is very nice - it makes it very usable and versatile. It's heartwarming to see that R&S is actively improving on the product, for both bugs and features.

Offline ci11

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2289 on: December 13, 2018, 01:17:38 pm »
Would someone please post a screenshot of the updated firmware showing an FFT and all available on-screen measurements, markers and cursors? There is reference to "Enhanced FFT Usability" in the v02.202 Release Notes but it is not clear what it really is. Thanks.

Offline genghisnico13

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2290 on: December 13, 2018, 08:18:01 pm »
Basically now the FFT works more like a spectrum analyzer, you no longer have control of the Horizontal "Timebase", and as you adjust span/start/stop frequency (or the Horizontal Knobs) the Timebase and Samplerate are adjusted accordingly to keep Nyquist happy, there are no new Measurements, at least that I can see, and no you can't use the FFT trace as a source for measurements.
Its different, I need to use it more to decide if I'm convinced, so far I like it.

Math works as expected, at least what I tested so far, unfortunately we don't have filters, I know its not a feature usually found in this price range, but I was hopeful.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why is the Single Shot not Disabling Auto Trigger Bug/(Feature?) still a thing?

The following users thanked this post: ci11

Offline ci11

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2291 on: December 13, 2018, 08:28:12 pm »
Basically now the FFT works more like a spectrum analyzer, you no longer have control of the Horizontal "Timebase", and as you adjust span/start/stop frequency (or the Horizontal Knobs) the Timebase and Samplerate are adjusted accordingly to keep Nyquist happy, there are no new Measurements, at least that I can see, and no you can't use the FFT trace as a source for measurements.
Its different, I need to use it more to decide if I'm convinced, so far I like it.

Math works as expected, at least what I tested so far, unfortunately we don't have filters, I know its not a feature usually found in this price range, but I was hopeful.

Maybe I'm missing something, but why is the Single Shot not Disabling Auto Trigger Bug/(Feature?) still a thing?

Thanks genghisnico13 - this is exactly what I wanted to see.

Offline Fred27

• Supporter
    • Fred's blog
« Reply #2292 on: December 13, 2018, 08:52:10 pm »
I'm hoping the FFT improvements come across to the RTM3000 too. Setting the range is one thing I found a bit clunky and buggy.

Offline santiall

• Contributor
« Reply #2293 on: December 14, 2018, 12:56:16 pm »
yeah, the new math and FFT functionality are great. The FFT is as explained above more like an spectrum analyser where you adjust the freq limits and/or centre freq and it adjusts the timebase automatically to suit those parameters. Much better than before.

on the other hand I think there is something weird with the Ref waveforms. When copying a channel waveform to a reference it seems to overlap the new data into the old one instead of erasing the previous waveform, the new Ref is a mix of previous waveforms, even the FFT appears overlapped in the time domain. Perhaps it's me doing something wrong, I need to check that more in detail, but it seems to replace the waveform only when changing to a diffrent reference number (Ref2 instead of Ref1 for example) and saving a couple of times or the likes

Online hansibull

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2294 on: January 10, 2019, 03:49:43 pm »
Does anybody know if it's possible to scroll horisontally in the protocol decoding bus table?

This screenshot shows it quite clearly. I'm watching multiple datapackets on an RS485 bus. I'm looking at these 55-64 byte messages, but i'm not able to see the entire packet in the bus table, because it's too long + no horisontal scrolling AFAIK.

Is it possible to view the entire packet content in the bus table, or du I have to zoom into the waveform itself and look at the decoded data below?

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2295 on: January 10, 2019, 03:51:27 pm »
I might just save the output of the decoder to view it. Haven't tried but maybe you could grab it over USB?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #2296 on: January 10, 2019, 05:18:57 pm »
IIRC I could get all of the data by saving it to CSV on the RTM3004. I'd expect it will work the same on the RTB2004.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online hansibull

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #2297 on: January 11, 2019, 08:12:54 am »
I might just save the output of the decoder to view it. Haven't tried but maybe you could grab it over USB?
IIRC I could get all of the data by saving it to CSV on the RTM3004. I'd expect it will work the same on the RTB2004.

I could export the output to CSV yes. So, no quick and easy way to view the entire frame in the bus table then?  :-\

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
« Reply #2298 on: January 11, 2019, 04:13:16 pm »

I could export the output to CSV yes. So, no quick and easy way to view the entire frame in the bus table then?  :-\

I'd argue that's quick and easy but if you disagree I don't know of a way to expand the bus table to view that much data per packet. Maybe find the R&S thread and ask Rich about it?

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf