Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 809429 times)

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
There's currently a massive promotion in Germany, including the RTB2K4-COM4 for 3200EUR net: https://www.datatec.de/info/aktionen-angebote/ac00461-messpakete-zum-unschlagbaren-aktionspreis

The following users thanked this post: Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

Offline Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

• Frequent Contributor
There's currently a massive promotion in Germany, including the RTB2K4-COM4 for 3200EUR net: https://www.datatec.de/info/aktionen-angebote/ac00461-messpakete-zum-unschlagbaren-aktionspreis
It's already leaked  8)  I believe this is worldwide (China may be an exception - not 100% sure).  And it's not just on the RTB2000.  I'm super excited for it - similar to our launch edition (albeit slightly more expensive), but without a quantity limit this time.  Like I said in the other thread - we've tried really hard to listen to customer feedback:  projects change, you have money now, not sure if you'll be able to buy upgrades in the future, you want everything turned on for one price, etc.  You can still buy any of the other models, but in a lot of cases, why would you?  When you can get a loaded (all options, even MSO/Bandwidth) Scope, SpecAn or Power Supply/Analyzer for one low price.  Is it for everyone?  No, but hopefully you all will see it as a step in the right direction (and vote with your money  ;) ).

-Rich

The following users thanked this post: Kean, Cthulhoid

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
It's slightly annoying that it's a year after I bought mine, but that's life. Hopefully more people decide to buy this great scope (or one of the other offered products)
« Last Edit: May 17, 2019, 08:39:15 pm by KaneTW »

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
It's slightly annoying that it's a year after I bought mine, but that's life. Hopefully more people decide to buy this great scope (or one of the other offered products)

It could have been worse, you could have paid $12k for Altium and then have them permanently slash the price the next month by 75%!

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
It's already leaked  8)  I believe this is worldwide (China may be an exception - not 100% sure).  And it's not just on the RTB2000.  I'm super excited for it - similar to our launch edition (albeit slightly more expensive), but without a quantity limit this time.  Like I said in the other thread - we've tried really hard to listen to customer feedback:  projects change, you have money now, not sure if you'll be able to buy upgrades in the future, you want everything turned on for one price, etc.  You can still buy any of the other models, but in a lot of cases, why would you?  When you can get a loaded (all options, even MSO/Bandwidth) Scope, SpecAn or Power Supply/Analyzer for one low price.  Is it for everyone?  No, but hopefully you all will see it as a step in the right direction (and vote with your money  ;) ).
-Rich

Will this be a permanent thing or just a limited time promotion?
It would be interesting to say the least if one of the major players abandoned the upgrade/options model system entirely.

• Frequent Contributor
-Rich

Will this be a permanent thing or just a limited time promotion?
It would be interesting to say the least if one of the major players abandoned the upgrade/options model system entirely.
It is a promotion through December 31, 2019.

-Rich

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
When you can get a loaded (all options, even MSO/Bandwidth) Scope, SpecAn or Power Supply/Analyzer for one low price.  Is it for everyone?  No, but hopefully you all will see it as a step in the right direction (and vote with your money  ;) ).
While this surely is a step in the right direction, not everybody needs 1GHz, MSO and all the options and would favor a package in the medium price range. Like (also in the light of the newest Siglent offerings) something like an RTM3000 with 4 channels an all standard serial decoders in the 4k€-6k€ range.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
When you can get a loaded (all options, even MSO/Bandwidth) Scope, SpecAn or Power Supply/Analyzer for one low price.  Is it for everyone?  No, but hopefully you all will see it as a step in the right direction (and vote with your money  ;) ).
While this surely is a step in the right direction, not everybody needs 1GHz, MSO and all the options and would favor a package in the medium price range. Like (also in the light of the newest Siglent offerings) something like an RTM3000 with 4 channels an all standard serial decoders in the 4k€-6k€ range.

Agreed. While the RTB promotion makes sense, there is a huge gap with the promo RTM (3200E>8600E) and with the promo RTA barely higher at 10500E, it could have made sense to have an offering in the 5-6kE range.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Agreed. While the RTB promotion makes sense, there is a huge gap with the promo RTM (3200E>8600E) and with the promo RTA barely higher at 10500E, it could have made sense to have an offering in the 5-6kE range.

LOL.
Companies are not here to help us. They exist to make money. This is another one of campaigns where manufacturer is spinning  facts and wanting to create positive emotions.
But all they are doing is trying to move hundreds of scopes that are not selling because original price is frankly idiotic. They are doing this only for 1GHz scopes because nobody buys them.
And all they proved is that 1GHz fully loaded one realistic price is 8600 €. Which is about right..  And they should drop 100MHz and 200MHz models, and start with 350MHz at 3000ish €.
Siglent SDS5000X has the right idea.

• Frequent Contributor
Hi Folks - all PMs replied.

-Rich

Offline 0xdeadbeef

• Super Contributor
And all they proved is that 1GHz fully loaded one realistic price is 8600 €. Which is about right.. 
Yeah, while this discount causes the 1GHz full featured version to enter a somewhat realistic price range (and even quite a bit below a full featured Rigol MSO7000 500MHz), limiting the discount to the top model with all features creates some really weird pricing issues. E.g. a used demonstration model of the RTM3104 without any options now costs about the same as a full featured brand new RTM3104 in R&S's own store. Also the 1GHz version without features is now much more expensive than the full featured version. So I guess that more or less all models above 200MHz will be impossible to sell until the discount is over.
Trying is the first step towards failure - Homer J. Simpson

Offline RobBarter

• Regular Contributor
    • Bedrock Systems Ltd
And my RTM3004 100MHz with all options only arrived a month ago  :palm:
minimal sig so a single msg doesn't take up the entire page!

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
Today I bought an MSO5000 but wanted to buy a RTB2004...  :-\

All because this discount only happened in the the full-optioned versions.

Offline JxR

• Supporter
Today I bought an MSO5000 but wanted to buy a RTB2004...  :-\

All because this discount only happened in the the full-optioned versions.

Yep, It's too bad they don't just provide the discount at different bandwidth levels.  Not like there is an actual hardware difference between them either, just a software license.  The only reason I have the RTB2004 is because I got it at the original COM4 price when the unit first came out.  Above that price, I would be looking at different manufacturers as well.  I would love to see a heavily discounted RTM3004 @350MHz so I could sale the one I have and trade up.  I don't technically need 1GHz, but would love to have the probe interface, more memory, and the power/spectrum analysis options.

The following users thanked this post: tv84, 2N3055

Offline rowifi

• Contributor
I almost bought a RTB2004 but there are still bugs in it which made it unusable until fixed.
Mainly, Segmented memory, replay with overlay enabled. Doesn't work properly.
There are other bugs in the display, double image after trigger/held but correcting itself if time base adjusted.

Offline JxR

• Supporter
I almost bought a RTB2004 but there are still bugs in it which made it unusable until fixed.

"Unusable"?  Give me a break, there hasn't been a bug of that level in its entire life-cycle.  Some people are just drama queens.  If there were actual bugs that made the device unusable the actual owners of the scope would be throwing a fit.  The fact is, the firmware is quite mature at this time and it generally works great.  Are there still improvements to be made, yes, just like every other product.  Is the device currently "unusable", absolutely not.

The following users thanked this post: Octane, bayjelly, KaneTW

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor
I'm really happy with my RTB, and I don't think I even encountered a noticeable bug. At first I thought measured risetime was off, but then I added a 50 Ohm termination. Now measured risetime with a 50Ohm inline termination is 980-990ps +-7ps (at 2.5GSa) while without it floats around 1.35-1.5ns +- 50ps (likely due to reflections into the fast edge generator).

• Frequent Contributor
Hi Folks - all PMs replied.

-Rich

Offline rowifi

• Contributor
Unusable for the purpose  I  needed it for. The  facts are the scope  is here waiting to be collected. The segmented memory replay has bugs. The overlay  function does not work. R&S have acknowledged it and are still working to fix it.  Of course it  works generally, but  a paid for software feature that is  critipcal to analyse the changes between individual segmented trigger captures simply fails.
Spending 3K+ on a tool that doesn't ( yet) do  what it should is hardly being a drama queen. I'm sure they will fix it, but until then it's value to  me is limited.
Clearly most  actual owners haven't used the more in depth features, perhaps they just like the the decoding and touch screen whereas some of us need it to perform as it was intended.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 09:43:21 pm by rowifi »

Offline maginnovision

• Super Contributor
Unusable for the purpose  I  needed it for. The  facts are the scope  is here waiting to be collected. The segmented memory replay has bugs. The overlay  function does not work. R&S have acknowledged it and are still working to fix it.  Of course it  works generally, but  a paid for software feature that is  critipcal to analyse the changes between individual segmented trigger captures simply fails.
Spending 3K+ on a tool that doesn't ( yet) do  what it should is hardly being a drama queen. I'm sure they will fix it, but until then it's value to  me is limited.
Clearly most  actual owners haven't used the more in depth features, perhaps they just like the the decoding and touch screen whereas some of us need it to perform as it was intended.

What specifically doesn't work? I'm curious as someone who has used segmented memory and playback for analysis. I'm not sure what you mean by overlay function. Are you referring to a saved waveform?

Also if you bought the scope for a single function that doesn't work I can understand not wanting it but calling it unusable is demonstrably false.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2019, 09:58:03 pm by maginnovision »

The following users thanked this post: JxR

Offline JxR

• Supporter
Of course it  works generally...
Oh, so it usable then?  A bit dramatic of you to make false statements about the scope in general because you found a bug in one area.  Maybe that is why I called you a drama queen...

Clearly you must feel that insulting every other owner of this scope somehow makes you superior.  Best of luck to you, and I hope you manage to find your perfect scope.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2019, 01:18:35 am by JxR »

Offline KaneTW

• Frequent Contributor

Yeah, no. Not only this is insulting, but also just plain wrong. Please don't make generalizing statements like this just because one feature you really need isn't working.

The following users thanked this post: JxR

Online coppice

• Super Contributor

Yeah, no. Not only this is insulting, but also just plain wrong. Please don't make generalizing statements like this just because one feature you really need isn't working.
Its not insulting. Its just realistic. Most people only use a small subset of the features of most instruments. That's all they need, and they have no incentive to find what other features are even present. Only when the instrument proves annoying do they try to find a new and more effective way to use it.

Offline LaurentR

• Frequent Contributor
Promo up on TEquipment in the US:
https://www.tequipment.net/Rohde-and-Schwarz-promotions-and-offers/?utm_campaign=edc&utm_source=tm&obem=o3gmwH16cVG91bBXxAoKOA%3D%3D&bc_lid=11#changeseverything2019

RTC1K-COM2: $1,490.00
RTB2K-COM4: $3,700.00
RTM-COM4US: $9,900.00
RTA-COM4US: $12,000.00

More discounts on fully optioned power supplies, spectrum analyzers... (see link above)

The following users thanked this post: Cthulhoid

Offline egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
Hi,

no Spectrum analysis and spectrogram 4 R&S®RTA-K18?

best regards
egonotto

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf