Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 817770 times)

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
Re: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004
« Reply #3050 on: August 08, 2022, 10:55:54 pm »
To have it valid you have to make it sure that the scope is calibrated from a lab totally independent from you(your work) and from the manufacturer.
Says who ?

If all instruments used to verify accuracy meet or better the factory Cal instrument spec and they are within their Cal period then what is the problem ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3051 on: August 08, 2022, 10:58:56 pm »
Question is what is a valid cal cert...
The fore-printed one sheet of paper from siglent for example surely not.
To have it valid you have to make it sure that the scope is calibrated from a lab totally independend from you(your work) and from the manufacturer.
That doesn't sound plausible to me at all. For as long as the calibration result is traceable to a standard and the lab has been accredited, the calibration is legally valid. Big test equipment manufacturers typically have their own accredited calibration labs. Take a look at Keysight for example: https://www.keysight.com/nl/en/products/services/calibration-services/iso-iec-17025-accreditation.html Personally I strongly prefer to send my equipment to the manufacturer for calibration IF they have an accredited calibration lab. They know their own equipment best and likely have the tools to do the calibration most efficiently.

To have it valid you have to make it sure that the scope is calibrated from a lab totally independent from you(your work) and from the manufacturer.
Says who ?
If all instruments used to verify accuracy meet or better the factory Cal instrument spec and they are within their Cal period then what is the problem ?
See above. It is not that simple. The way the calibrations are performed (procedures) also need to be verified by an external party. Siglent makes no mention of being actually accredited to perform calibrations properly.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2022, 11:08:13 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3052 on: August 08, 2022, 11:08:04 pm »
Question is what is a valid cal cert...
The fore-printed one sheet of paper from siglent for example surely not.
To have it valid you have to make it sure that the scope is calibrated from a lab totally independend from you(your work) and from the manufacturer.
That doesn't sound plausible to me at all. For as long as the calibration result is traceable to a standard and the lab has been accredited, the calibration is valid. Test equipment manufacturers typically have their own accredited calibration labs. Take a look at Keysight for example: https://www.keysight.com/nl/en/products/services/calibration-services/iso-iec-17025-accreditation.html

Says who ?
See above. It is not that simple.
Yes of course, an accredited Cal lab that most companies that make test equipment and provide an instrument Cal sheet already are.
It's not rocket science.....does it meet or better datasheet spec ?
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3053 on: August 09, 2022, 08:50:18 am »
I had an RTB arrive recently and just today had the opportunity to grab its cal cert for record keeping. I was a bit surprised that it was calibrated around 650 days before my order was placed. I have no cause for any actual concern (so far, at least).

It was interesting to see what they use for the RTB (plain-old factory) cal process:
  • R&S NRP-Z91 power sensor
  • Keithley 2601A System SourceMeter
  • a trusty 34401A

I'd guess they dogfood the NGUs these days in the plant's cal lab...

For RTB 2004 they used different gear between factory and service.1561483-01561489-1

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
  • Product Management Engineer, Rohde & Schwarz
    • Test and Measurement Fundamentals Playlist on the R&S YouTube channel
« Reply #3054 on: August 09, 2022, 04:38:31 pm »
Personally I strongly prefer to send my equipment to the manufacturer for calibration IF they have an accredited calibration lab. They know their own equipment best and likely have the tools to do the calibration most efficiently.

We also strongly prefer you send your R&S instruments to us for calibration  :)   

Actually, there can be significant differences between a manufacturer and a third-party calibration:  for example, are adjustments always performed to bring the instrument as close as possible to optimal values, or only when the values fall outside of the tolerance range? 

Often the calibration interval is based on the instrument starting the cycle with near optimal values:  an instrument that just barely passed a third-party cal (and was not adjusted) may go out of cal much more quickly than an instrument that was optimized (as we always do) during the last cal.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2022, 04:40:45 pm by pdenisowski »
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #3055 on: August 09, 2022, 09:21:05 pm »
Says who ?

It´s not that easy...
We´re Iso certified(not only), everything we use in the testfield* must be fully traceable calibrated from an external DAkkS certified lab.
DAkkS are worldwide accepted even in MIL/Aero ranges(It will be enough when our equipment is calibrated according to ISO, but this must be done from a lab with "higher" Standard (DAkkS) ).
To be clearer, as I´ve bought the siglent scopes for our testfield the first thing was to send them to the lab for calibrating.
Because with the one sheet of cal-cert paper which lies in the package you can wipe your a** with.
For private usage it´s ok because you don´t need any certified things.
When we buy a scope from lecroy, there is always a complete calibration protocol with individual values attached.
Fully traceable including a cal-sticker (valid until...).
Even the "cheap" Wavesurfer come with it.
R&S, Keysight, Tektronix also.
It´s a "Pro-Standard", of course you can´t expect that on the "low-cost" models from siglent, so it was no surprise they came with nothing in this way.
But if we would buy for example a SDS6000A model, we would expect the same individual documentation we get from the "Pros".
And not only a fore-printed one sheet of paper which says nothing, this is not pro-standard.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, 2N3055

Offline arcitech

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3056 on: August 25, 2022, 04:14:09 pm »
Long shot, but might anyone be able to confirm the SoC in the RTB2000? I'm guessing i.MX 8 (biased by familiarity, for sure), or a less familiar Altera/Intel offering like the Arria or Stratix...

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3057 on: August 25, 2022, 04:51:44 pm »
Long shot, but might anyone be able to confirm the SoC in the RTB2000? I'm guessing i.MX 8 (biased by familiarity, for sure), or a less familiar Altera/Intel offering like the Arria or Stratix...

https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/rs-rtb2004-snooping/

The following users thanked this post: arcitech

Offline RBBVNL9

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3058 on: September 05, 2022, 09:04:19 pm »
There are new versions of the manuals.

It's a good habit of R&S to update their manuals, also when new firmware versions are released.

The new manual v12 is for FR2.4, but the v11 manual was already for FR2.4 as well.

I did a quick check and, apart from typographic changes, page shifting etc, I only found the following differences:
  • §2.1.2 Delivery includes RT-ZP03S probes (instead of RT-ZP03).
  • §2.1.4.1 Small changes concerning the placement of the device on a bench (weight).
  • §4.4 Text change concerning probes. Seems the old manual had a text copied from the RTM3000 or RTA4000 relating to probes with the R&S probe interface, which the RTB does not have. This text is removed.
  • §7.2.2.1 for the ‘phase’ category, 'S1' and 'S2' in the picture (instead of '1' and '2').
  • §10.7 Small text chance concerning the need of a device ID for registering licenses.
  • §12.2.1 Removed a text on trigger possibilities for SPI.
  • §16.1 small change on cleaning the device (solvents, etc.).

That's it... So no need to rush and read this new manual ;-)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, edavid, Fgrir, 2N3055, bayjelly, Detlev

Offline Neurosurg

• Contributor
« Reply #3059 on: September 13, 2022, 05:19:04 pm »
Can You hear about coming out for about 2 weeks +/- realese a new generation of scope on R&S, I think it can be something on middle level just nezt to RTE1000 which I planned to buy when I collect money and find full version. RTE1024, i wa0nna give a full wersion of MDO3054 with HV ori probes for RTE1024 eh ... :)

Inteeresting what R&S have as an AS card :D

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3060 on: September 14, 2022, 06:47:41 pm »
Can You hear about coming out for about 2 weeks +/- realese a new generation of scope on R&S

Yep, just two weeks away!

https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/us/products/test-and-measurement/oscilloscopes/promotion/next-generation_255909.html

I have one here in my office right now (and it's very nice) but I can't share anything about it until launch.  :)
Test and Measurement Fundamentals video series on the Rohde & Schwarz YouTube channel:  https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLKxVoO5jUTlvsVtDcqrVn0ybqBVlLj2z8

Free online test and measurement fundamentals courses from Rohde & Schwarz:  https://tinyurl.com/mv7a4vb6

The following users thanked this post: arcitech

Offline Miles Teg

• Regular Contributor
  • YAWP!!!
« Reply #3061 on: September 27, 2022, 12:03:55 pm »
Hmmm...

Looking for a scope now.
Was looking on the R&S side and I'm tempted by going all in for the RTB2004 Full package at 4.300€

Offer ends 30 september.

Will I wait for the release news in 10 hours?  :P :o
If you see me running, that's already too late.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3062 on: September 27, 2022, 12:07:56 pm »
Hmmm...

Looking for a scope now.
Was looking on the R&S side and I'm tempted by going all in for the RTB2004 Full package at 4.300€

Offer ends 30 september.

You might be well advised to study this thread:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/functional-comparison-of-rs-rtb2000-siglent-sds2000x-and-keysight-dsox1000/
Avid Rabid Hobbyist

The following users thanked this post: Miles Teg

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3063 on: September 27, 2022, 12:30:35 pm »
Hmmm...

Looking for a scope now.

Offer ends 30 september.

I have a feeling that the new R&S scope is going to be aimed at the higher end market. Probably above their RTA4000. Likely several GHz of bandwidth with tens of Gs/s.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 12:32:37 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3064 on: September 27, 2022, 02:58:28 pm »
I have a feeling that the new R&S scope is going to be aimed at the higher end market. Probably above their RTA4000. Likely several GHz of bandwidth with tens of Gs/s.

In about 6 hours I can post a picture of the one on my desk .... :)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3065 on: September 27, 2022, 03:03:50 pm »

Looking forward to that picture...  8)

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3066 on: September 27, 2022, 10:03:54 pm »

Looking forward to that picture...  8)
« Last Edit: September 27, 2022, 10:05:45 pm by pdenisowski »

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, BU508A, jjoonathan, 2N3055, Martin72, Detlev

Offline jjoonathan

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3067 on: September 27, 2022, 10:42:41 pm »
Sweeet! 4M wfm/s, 40k FFT/s, lively updates with deep memory... I love the focus on speed, it makes a scope so much more pleasant to use in every situation.

Does "independent settings" mean what it does on the current generation RTO, where adjusting span/rbw/etc translates into a settings adjustment on FFTs of the time domain acquisition data, or does it imply a completely separate path where I could, say, have a 902-928MHz FFT open at the same time as an 18 bit low bandwidth time domain measurement?

The following users thanked this post: Rich@RohdeScopesUSA, pdenisowski, RBBVNL9

Offline pdenisowski

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3068 on: September 27, 2022, 11:23:09 pm »
Sweeet! 4M wfm/s, 40k FFT/s, lively updates with deep memory... I love the focus on speed, it makes a scope so much more pleasant to use in every situation.

Does "independent settings" mean what it does on the current generation RTO, where adjusting span/rbw/etc translates into a settings adjustment on FFTs of the time domain acquisition data, or does it imply a completely separate path where I could, say, have a 902-928MHz FFT open at the same time as an 18 bit low bandwidth time domain measurement?

The short answer is that you configure spectrum parameters similar to the way you would on a spec an:  center, span, RBW.  However, these parameters can be changed without affecting the time domain representation of the signal.  In other words, spectrum settings are independent of time domain settings, but the two domains are still correlated.

We have quite a few demo videos, etc. that will be appearing in the next few days (I believe) and this is one of the features that we show.

Offline RBBVNL9

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3069 on: September 28, 2022, 05:49:48 am »
Nice!

It seems to me that the user interface is a – significant –  further development of that in the RTB2, RTM3 and RTA4 series, which I really like. And which allows the instrument to startup in mere seconds, talking of speed. (I might be wrong, though.).

The MXO 4 series is described as “the first of a new generation of oscilloscopes”, so I am curious to see what other products R&S has in store!

The following users thanked this post: Rich@RohdeScopesUSA

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #3070 on: September 28, 2022, 06:49:28 am »
The short answer is that you configure spectrum parameters similar to the way you would on a spec an:  center, span, RBW.  However, these parameters can be changed without affecting the time domain representation of the signal.  In other words, spectrum settings are independent of time domain settings, but the two domains are still correlated.

So similar to what the RTB2k does regarding the FFT?
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline CRTbrain

• Contributor
« Reply #3071 on: September 28, 2022, 02:15:21 pm »
MXO 4 FFT is way better than RTB FFT...or anything I've seen on any scope before.  Time and freq settings are completely independent.  I tried the MXO 4 on some slow audio signals (had issues doing this with all other scopes) and it was able to show the tones with very fine RBW.  I don't think R&S specs THD or other audio...but I've never been able to see audio this well on a scope.  Really impressive.  (RTB FFT doesn't work well on audio tones).

The following users thanked this post: jjoonathan, Rich@RohdeScopesUSA, pdenisowski

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3072 on: September 29, 2022, 04:57:05 am »
Can You hear about coming out for about 2 weeks +/- realese a new generation of scope on R&S

Yep, just two weeks away!

https://www.rohde-schwarz.com/us/products/test-and-measurement/oscilloscopes/promotion/next-generation_255909.html

I have one here in my office right now (and it's very nice) but I can't share anything about it until launch.  :)

Oh, looks nice.

Here is a video just released:

The following users thanked this post: Kean

Offline Miki6

« Reply #3073 on: September 29, 2022, 07:03:25 am »
Dear forum.
Sorry, I'm writing with google translate.
RTB2002 70Mhz base scope bad square signal representation in 200mV/div and higher positions.
100mV/div and lower is good, but not perfect either.
A square signal is definitely good, with several generators,
also examined with other scopes. I think it's a divisive problem in these jobs.
Running self alignment, it won't be good.
Can they all be like this, or is it a unique error?
Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 07:46:32 am by Miki6 »

The following users thanked this post: EEVblog, Fgrir

Offline KrzysztofB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3074 on: September 29, 2022, 10:02:53 am »
Well if they had that crazy nice promo as RTB2004 had when was launched, would regret buying Keysight DSO804.
But with prices starting at 9K euros without anything, I guess it will be out of reach for most of us.
Looking nice though.

But it says: The first of the neXt generation

Maybe we will see something more reachable
« Last Edit: September 29, 2022, 10:24:46 am by KrzysztofB »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf