Author Topic: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004  (Read 809613 times)

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: new killer scope in town - a true game changer from R&S - RTB2002 & RTB2004
« Reply #3100 on: October 06, 2022, 01:15:55 pm »
You are incorrect about frequency response.  Results are measured between two channels. If they both have about the same error, it will cancel.  Either way, an oscilloscope has limited vertical accuracy anyway so don't count on being able to make accurate absolute measurements where it comes to the amplitude of a signal.

A real network analyser has the ability to create an offset calibration in order to improve absolute accuracy.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: Miki6

Offline capt bullshot

• Super Contributor
    • Mostly useless stuff, but nice to have: wunderkis.de
« Reply #3101 on: October 06, 2022, 01:33:26 pm »
Results are measured between two channels. If they both have about the same error, it will cancel. 
Thanks, that's correct.
Safety devices hinder evolution

Offline Neurosurg

• Contributor
« Reply #3102 on: October 07, 2022, 08:57:23 am »
Ok, I took my Rohde & Schwarz RTE1104 oscilloscope from work at the Institute of Physics. I think that everyone will agree that it is a thick caliber, long released, but made very carefully, well thought-out solutions, materials from which it is made of the highest quality and durability, I think that it is more durable than modern, e.g. MXO4, although I have not seen one I won't see him for long so I might be wrong here;). In RTE1000 the problem does not occur - but I looked at the rectangle by enlarging the photo 200mv / DIV and as if you can see something slightly, I do not know if it is not like I screw myself, but in general in my RTB2004-COM4 the problem is as small the same as user Hydron show:
Went and checked all the channels on mine using the internal sig-gen, they don't look as bad as Dave's but there is definitely a change when the attenuator kicks in. In this case I grabbed a capture from each side of the range switch (~150mV, depends on the calibrated gain of each channel) using fine vertical gain adjust. Screenshot windows are due to me being impatient when capturing (they're confirming the previous screenshot).

I seem to recall this coming up for other scopes - was it Siglent that sent out repair kits to those brave enough to open their scopes up?

I do not have time to play with this issue on other TOP scopes now, due to cancer, I work remotely, but I have a lot of arrears in the implementation of the SIMS spectrometer ion gun project, and the deadline is approaching, the topic should not be left for the last night before the deadline he he: D No matter, going back to the merits , maybe the problem is looking for a hole in the whole thing, and as a wise user said, I quote:
Distortion is mostly visible with 1kHz square wave, so for most measurements -and the fact that one now knows the problem- it isn't a real problem at all.
Now it's important that you know that something like this occurs, and I don't think there is an oscilloscope that is perfect for everything, see what The Signal Path has a dozen, like not several dozen oscilloscopes and these are the selected TOP models such as R&S RTO2044, Tek MSO5 wich is great too and so on. I don't know about you, but apart from RTB2004-COM4, ​​I have Tektronix MDO3054 full opt. with 3GHz SA, Keysight MSOX3104T, DPO2014, TDS3014, TDS784D. I think that apart from beginners, everyone who deals with electronics for serious earnings has this honey, because even if it has accumulated over the years. It is also important to know what the oscilloscope has, what strengths, for which measurements is suitable as gold, and which are better to perform, for example with Keysight. End of pointless issue i think. Knowledge gives a lot to my friend capt_bullshit;) Knowledge is the key power.
MichTRONIC.
GREETINGS.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto

Offline Neurosurg

• Contributor
« Reply #3103 on: October 07, 2022, 09:05:49 am »
If somebody  has RTM3004 please checked if it occures, RTA4000 is practiclly the same as RTM3000, so we coocked 2 things on one fire he he..
I'm just interesting. If RTM3000 does not have this issue, it means that Rohde&Schwarz, know about it from the past and correct problem IN RTM Series.

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3104 on: October 07, 2022, 10:32:35 am »
it means that Rohde&Schwarz, know about it from the past and correct problem IN RTM Series.

I'm sure this is known for a very long time, maybe since the very first square wave was fed into an oscilloscope.

They probably don't see it as something that needs to be "corrected", just minimized.

Correcting it 100% might be very expensive to do.

Offline Neurosurg

• Contributor
« Reply #3105 on: October 07, 2022, 01:18:31 pm »
it means that Rohde&Schwarz, know about it from the past and correct problem IN RTM Series.

I'm sure this is known for a very long time, maybe since the very first square wave was fed into an oscilloscope.

They probably don't see it as something that needs to be "corrected", just minimized.

Do You have RTM3000? Or RTB2004-COM4? Or mayby higher model of R&S scope.
I am in love with Rohde&Schwarz. Dreaming about RTE1024. New models like RTO6 or MXO4 in my opinion lost the impression look like very good etremly high material using RTM2000, RTE1000, RTO1000, RTO2000 and the best RTP which is probably looking older, today trend nevermind if you have tek or keysight or r&s, they will looks the same only logo, and buttons. We had one RTP at work, no RTO6, but RTP has hardware real-time exellent top spectrum anylaser, and can work like MDO4000, or in any possible configuration. For me RTE will be the scope for 10 years. But now I use mix of RTB2004-COM4 + MDO3054 full opt. + 3GHz SA. MDO is slowly, fft in it don;t use, but has Power Anylasis, ADVANCED MATH means that you can create any formula, Have editor in AWG, SA, FastAg with palletes is wrong make, RTB gives me possibility to set color separatly of course the color is not only change color, it is enable color gradation of waveform like false colors with do job. RTB is fast, has user friendly GUI, fantastic multi touch screen of 10 inches, both have 10M. FFT in RTB is great, not everybody knows, that, if  you set e.g. Waveform palette false colors, the FFT also will be like in RTM3000, RTE1000. Pattern generator is very useful for me. Has some filters the RTB? I hav HMO1002 now RTC01002 lowest scope in R&S, and it has filters. But on the other hand RTB2004 does cost much more less then RTM3000-COM4. Limitations are normal :)

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3106 on: October 07, 2022, 01:59:38 pm »

I am in love with Rohde&Schwarz. Dreaming about RTE1024. New models like RTO6 or MXO4 in my opinion lost the impression look like very good etremly high material using RTM2000, RTE1000, RTO1000, RTO2000 and the best RTP which is probably looking older, today trend nevermind if you have tek or keysight or r&s, they will looks the same only logo, and buttons. We had one RTP at work, no RTO6, but RTP has hardware real-time exellent top spectrum anylaser, and can work like MDO4000, or in any possible configuration. For me RTE will be the scope for 10 years. But now I use mix of RTB2004-COM4 + MDO3054 full opt. + 3GHz SA. MDO is slowly, fft in it don;t use, but has Power Anylasis, ADVANCED MATH means that you can create any formula, Have editor in AWG, SA, FastAg with palletes is wrong make, RTB gives me possibility to set color separatly of course the color is not only change color, it is enable color gradation of waveform like false colors with do job. RTB is fast, has user friendly GUI, fantastic multi touch screen of 10 inches, both have 10M. FFT in RTB is great, not everybody knows, that, if  you set e.g. Waveform palette false colors, the FFT also will be like in RTM3000, RTE1000. Pattern generator is very useful for me. Has some filters the RTB? I hav HMO1002 now RTC01002 lowest scope in R&S, and it has filters. But on the other hand RTB2004 does cost much more less then RTM3000-COM4. Limitations are normal :)

LOL.... :-DD

Online egonotto

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3107 on: October 07, 2022, 02:51:57 pm »
Hello,

RTA4004 with 1 kHz.

Best Regards
egonotto

Offline BillyO

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3108 on: October 07, 2022, 03:41:57 pm »
So I get the impression reading through this thread a bit that the R&S RTB200X scopes offer less base functionality than the Siglent SDS200X Plus scope and about twice (or more) the price?  Considering the problems this series has, why would someone buy one of these today?  To get a Rohde & Schwarz label?  :-DD

(just being cheeky)
Bill  (Currently a Siglent fanboy)
--------------------------------------------------
Want to see an old guy fumble around re-learning a career left 40 years ago?  Well, look no further .. https://www.youtube.com/@uni-byte

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Online Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3109 on: October 07, 2022, 05:02:33 pm »

No.

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3110 on: October 07, 2022, 09:26:08 pm »

I don't think this issue got corrected in the RTM and higher class devices; these likely use a more sophisticated design. I do find it odd though that nobody else stumbled onto this issue until now. Maybe most people just compensated their probes but never bothered to connect a function generator. All in all I'd be interested in an amplitude versus frequency plot to see what the frequency response of the RTB2004 looks like.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #3111 on: October 08, 2022, 12:11:28 am »
So I get the impression reading through this thread a bit that the R&S RTB200X scopes offer less base functionality than the Siglent SDS200X Plus scope and about twice (or more) the price?  Considering the problems this series has, why would someone buy one of these today?  To get a Rohde & Schwarz label?  :-DD

(just being cheeky)

5yrs ago it was truly a blast.
Now, today you got several choices.
When you don´t need 10 bit all the time because its "pure" hardware-based, then the SDS2K+ will be the better choice for less money.
The SDS2K HD is no competion against in many ways and rigol have relased cheap 12 bit scopes...
Time for R&S to present a legacy of the true gamechanger...

Offline goaty

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #3112 on: October 08, 2022, 07:21:09 am »
Tried this from 10Hz to 5kHz, and looks like this.

Edit: Direct BNC-connection from Siglent SDG generator. But of course I don´t really know the generator linearity.

Edit2: Just measured the SDG2042 with a Fluke289, and from 10Hz to 2kHz, the amplitude does not change more than 0,05%, So I think the generator is ok.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 08:09:58 am by goaty »

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #3113 on: October 08, 2022, 07:47:59 am »
Thanks! Looks like there is a change in the amplitude

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #3114 on: October 08, 2022, 08:57:07 am »
FYI, R&S are dropping off an MXO4 to the lab tomorrow, it fell off the back of a truck, no box, might have a dent or two.

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, edavid, skander36, Martin72, Detlev

Offline skander36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #3115 on: October 08, 2022, 01:04:53 pm »
All in all I'd be interested in an amplitude versus frequency plot to see what the frequency response of the RTB2004 looks like.
I don't know if is the best setup for a DUT,  :)  but with a 330 ohm resistor between IN and OUT, here is what I get (attached). Amplitude with green.
Raw data is in WFM05.txt but you need to change extension to csv.
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 08:17:44 pm by skander36 »

Offline Neurosurg

• Contributor
« Reply #3116 on: October 08, 2022, 10:26:00 pm »

The post was written in a sarcastic accent. An adult person should learn about sarcasm, only children are incapable of detecting sarcasm and take such a text seriously. It's not good with you buddy. : D

Offline Neurosurg

• Contributor
« Reply #3117 on: October 08, 2022, 11:07:51 pm »

(just being cheeky)
Siglent has advantages and disadvantages as well as rigol HD. This issue is by no means a disqualifying tragedy. I can write the same about you, that you buy Siglent for the logo, maybe even the supplier added you a T-shirt "Siglent SDS2000 Plus the best oscilloscope of all time." options and features, has a exelllent performance "I have RTE1104 as a business oscilloscope at work, although it happens that I work on Keysgiht or Tektronix. In my opinion, and I have bought a new RTB2004-COM4 at a bargain price for 2 months and I am very pleased , it works perfectly in the home electronics studio I have, it complements MDO3054. Very good combination, I recommend it. You probably did not work on RTB, but a great expert. You are satisfied with Siglent SDS 2000x Plus or HD whatever, I respect it and I do not mock others people who, when buying, made a choice, eg Rigola HD, etc. I consider the subject finished.
Regards,
MichTRONIC
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 11:09:33 pm by Neurosurg »

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3118 on: October 08, 2022, 11:36:42 pm »

The post was written in a sarcastic accent. An adult person should learn about sarcasm, only children are incapable of detecting sarcasm and take such a text seriously. It's not good with you buddy. : D

And I thought it was meant to be humorous... Which is not in contradiction to being sarcastic at the same time, mind you ...

Just to make sure which part is sarcastic:
- you love R&S so much you dream about it?
- Your opinion on scopes you mentioned..?

See, it is not so clear...  :-DD

Thank you for your opinion about my mental health... Is as as valid and opinionated as your opinions on scopes.. But thanks anyways.. Good intentions are always welcomed even when a bit misdirected.. And being an adult person is overrated.... Kids have much more fun..

Offline Neurosurg

• Contributor
« Reply #3119 on: October 09, 2022, 12:37:41 am »

And I thought it was meant to be humorous... Which is not in contradiction to being sarcastic at the same time, mind you ...

Just to make sure which part is sarcastic:
- you love R&S so much you dream about it?
- Your opinion on scopes you mentioned..?

See, it is not so clear...  :-DD

Thank you for your opinion about my mental health... Is as as valid and opinionated as your opinions on scopes.. But thanks anyways.. Good intentions are always welcomed even when a bit misdirected.. And being an adult person is overrated.... Kids have much more fun..

Okay, make fun of me, make fun of me. I'm sorry for this statement, it's just that your previous post brings nothing to the topic except that it may be upsetting to some users. Maybe SDS2000X Plus is better than RTB2004-COM4, ​​I don't know, it's hard for me to be objective and honest here, because I don't have or have access to SDS 2000X Plus. I did not choose Rohde & Schwarc for the emblem, only because I like these oscilloscopes and their design, after working on RTE I knew that the manufacturer focuses on the best materials and electronic components which translates into quality, the oscilloscope is well thought out, I also have HMO1002. interesting and useful solutions like Virtual Screen. I assume that this sensational Siglent 2000X HD in a full option configuration costs much more than the RTB. Since he is so cool. Everyone has a budget, a different one will buy something for $ 1500, another one for $ 6000- & 7000, and another one for $ 25000. There is no point in arguing. Apart from R&S I have a Tektronix which is also great, Siglent also but only SDS 1104X-E, in my opinion a very good oscilloscope. I'm sorry if I offended you, What's wrong is not me.
I greet you,
MichTRONIC / neurosurg
« Last Edit: October 09, 2022, 12:40:59 am by Neurosurg »

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3120 on: October 09, 2022, 09:01:06 am »
Okay, make fun of me, make fun of me. I'm sorry for this statement, it's just that your previous post brings nothing to the topic except that it may be upsetting to some users. Maybe SDS2000X Plus is better than RTB2004-COM4, ​​I don't know, it's hard for me to be objective and honest here, because I don't have or have access to SDS 2000X Plus. I did not choose Rohde & Schwarc for the emblem, only because I like these oscilloscopes and their design, after working on RTE I knew that the manufacturer focuses on the best materials and electronic components which translates into quality, the oscilloscope is well thought out, I also have HMO1002. interesting and useful solutions like Virtual Screen. I assume that this sensational Siglent 2000X HD in a full option configuration costs much more than the RTB. Since he is so cool. Everyone has a budget, a different one will buy something for $ 1500, another one for $ 6000- & 7000, and another one for $ 25000. There is no point in arguing. Apart from R&S I have a Tektronix which is also great, Siglent also but only SDS 1104X-E, in my opinion a very good oscilloscope. I'm sorry if I offended you, What's wrong is not me.
I greet you,
MichTRONIC / neurosurg

I was jesting a little but wasn't making fun of you, as a person.
If you got offended I am sorry too. It seems I have problem with sarcasm, you have problem detecting humor.. We are not perfect..It's only human. Important thing is to stay civilized and work out the differences..

Just a note, one might argue that your post also added nothing useful to the topic. That is why a slight tangents are allowed in discussion.

RTB2000 is similar and was made to look alike 3000/4000 series but have seriously less capability. FFT on RTB2000 is also not perfect (there is a separate topic discussing just that) and not same as RTM3000 that has spectrum option.

User configurable colors are useful and other scopes have it too. One thing I really like on R&S is user configurable palette for color grading. Especially useful is reverse palette, that shows rare signals most brightly.... I wish more scopes had that feature..
R&S higher end devices are excellent but expensive. Budget always exists, but it is how much you get for your money is what changes all the time... That is why I don't believe in blind brand loyalty.

And yes, you were wrong a bit. And so was I. We both apologized.
I will not pollute this thread anymore with this detour. If you feel anything is unresolved, please let's continue with PM.
Sincerely, all the best.
Sinisa

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #3121 on: October 09, 2022, 07:44:51 pm »
User configurable colors are useful and other scopes have it too.

Yepp, lecroy and siglent for example - rigol not (MSO5000) and this was a visual horror for me.
Four mathchannels - And everyone got the same colour...

Offline Neurosurg

• Contributor
« Reply #3122 on: October 09, 2022, 07:49:06 pm »
I greet you,
MichTRONIC / neurosurg

I was jesting a little but wasn't making fun of you, as a person.
If you got offended I am sorry too. It seems I have problem with sarcasm, you have problem detecting humor.. We are not perfect..It's only human. Important thing is to stay civilized and work out the differences..

Just a note, one might argue that your post also added nothing useful to the topic. That is why a slight tangents are allowed in discussion.

RTB2000 is similar and was made to look alike 3000/4000 series but have seriously less capability. FFT on RTB2000 is also not perfect (there is a separate topic discussing just that) and not same as RTM3000 that has spectrum option.

User configurable colors are useful and other scopes have it too. One thing I really like on R&S is user configurable palette for color grading. Especially useful is reverse palette, that shows rare signals most brightly.... I wish more scopes had that feature..
R&S higher end devices are excellent but expensive. Budget always exists, but it is how much you get for your money is what changes all the time... That is why I don't believe in blind brand loyalty.

And yes, you were wrong a bit. And so was I. We both apologized.
I will not pollute this thread anymore with this detour. If you feel anything is unresolved, please let's continue with PM.
Sincerely, all the best.
Sinisa
Ok my firend It's ok. RTM3000 spectrum also is not perfect, Far away from my mayby raw but exellent SA 3GHz not software enchenced, but fully hardware like second device in other box, but in MDO3000 it uses screen, knobs, buttons from front of an oscilloscope, perfectly is MDO4000, I didn;t see in R&S brochure that RTM3000 or RTA4000 which is practicly the same as RTM3000 (exist vid fron R&S about that), but backing to clue on catalog when is section RTM3000 is only HD emblemat, since RTE1000 is HD mode and Multi-domain like in Tektronix MDO4000 which as you knoq are powerful features. No I have from work Tektronix Series 5, it is sad that the Tektronix company left SA only in Tektroni MDO34 Serier3, but not me should judgee it.
Siglent SDS2000X Plus or HD also has problems, this is level of the scopes for us expensive and we are angry, but on RTO2044 there is no bug existing. But for RTB2004 we pay max $6000 - $7000, for RTO1044 fot e.g. also exellent $20 000. :)

I was exaited and planning to buy RTE1024 with full opt from eBay, but my brother calm me down, and give smart tip, you have two good scopes MDO3000 + RTB2004 both with full options, great performance, and features. FFT in my opinion is great. Siglent also has problems, it is important not to drop out the scope stright to the dumpster beccause of some shortcomings if you at the moment somebody can't afford a level up scope in the list, for me amputatuon due to cancer close my budget to RTB2004-COM4, for RTE1000 (why R&S because i like they GUI and design, and perfection, but other scopes also are on the list for consider) but now all money I have to collect to buy a new (no new like brand new - used :) ) car, with automatic becaure of amputation (left leg under the knee). I don;t cry on that, I'm also a MD doctor, neurosurgeon, see at work before get cancer meny tragic horrifing cases, for e.g. when brain tumon has a little child. In my opinion, children should not be ill, children should be happy, laugh and play, and not suffer in the hospital. But what is the world like? Sorry for the philosophical insertion, somehow it took me to think he he :)

Best wishes,
Michael,
neurosurg

Offline Neurosurg

• Contributor
« Reply #3123 on: October 09, 2022, 08:01:43 pm »
User configurable colors are useful and other scopes have it too.

Yepp, lecroy and siglent for example - rigol not (MSO5000) and this was a visual horror for me.
Four mathchannels - And everyone got the same colour...
Mayby you mentioned that, is from RTE1000  and models up :D
Please for you pictures. Do you have the same wide possibility to define colors in your Siglent or LeCroy? :)
See pictures.
I attache, also interesting mesuerments of BW of RTB2000, and Tek Series 5.
Enjoy for everyone.
Best wisches,
Michael.

Online Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #3124 on: October 09, 2022, 08:09:44 pm »
On siglent/lecroy you can define the colour of all traces(zoom, math, all channels, and so on) in a "free" manner (colour palette).

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf