Author Topic: New Micsig STO1000 (May 2022)  (Read 2582 times)

Offline FungusTopic starter

• Super Contributor
New Micsig STO1000 (May 2022)
« on: May 26, 2022, 06:58:43 pm »
I just noticed there's a trendy new Micsig on the block:

https://www.micsig.com/product5/

I'm not sure about the controls. They look a bit like hose little slidey thumb joysticks they put on pocket gaming devices.

Brochure here: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/4000083226368.html
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 11:29:55 am by Fungus »

The following users thanked this post: jasonRF

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
Re: New Micsig
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2022, 07:17:33 pm »
Neat. IIRC this is their 3rd generation of tablet scopes already.
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Martin72

• Super Contributor
  • Testfield Technician
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2022, 07:22:06 pm »
Nice one, comes with low pass and high pass filters...

And somekind of probe interface.
Not too bad, if they decide to bring out this one with isolated inputs...

• Super Contributor
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2022, 08:27:44 pm »
Nice one, comes with low pass and high pass filters...

Existing Micsigs already have that.  :)

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Offline jasonRF

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2022, 12:09:43 am »
Are the high-pass / low-pass software or hardware?  If I had to guess, the 20 MHz is hardware, but the variable (30 kHz in photo) is software?   I glanced at the user manual for one of their models and it wasn't explicitly spelled out. 

I use a software lowpass filter on my super-cheap picoscope all the time when working with analog audio.  Is really a nice feature.  I like it better than 'enhanced resolution', because I hate having to figure out the corner frequency as it changes with sample rate.

jason

edit: in any case, when I upgrade my scope later this year I will certainly look at Micsig. 
edit2: now I see that there are hardware digital filters in this.  So my original question sucks.  In my head I was thinking the 20 MHz is analog hardware, but variable is digital software (but of course digital can be hardware...). 
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 12:35:23 am by jasonRF »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2022, 06:43:47 am »
edit2: now I see that there are hardware digital filters in this.  So my original question sucks.

Why does it suck? It's a perfectly reasonable question.

The only sucky questions are the ones that don't get asked.

PS: I put 30kHz because it's the minimum. Filter range is 30kHz to 100Mhz.

Offline 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2022, 10:06:53 am »
Still no statistics on measurements?

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2022, 11:09:35 am »
I just noticed there's a trendy new Micsig on the block:

A model designation in the thread title would ease life for everyone.

(I know, Dave did the same for the new MSO2... Maybe it's a new trend. I'm getting old...)

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055

Offline jasonRF

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2022, 11:26:15 am »
edit2: now I see that there are hardware digital filters in this.  So my original question sucks.

Why does it suck? It's a perfectly reasonable question.

The only sucky questions are the ones that don't get asked.

PS: I put 30kHz because it's the minimum. Filter range is 30kHz to 100Mhz.
My question only sucked because of the way I worded it.  If you answered my original question exactly as written, it wouldn't give me the information I was hoping to learn!   Basically, I just wanted to know which (if any) of the filters are before the ADC (analog), and which are after (digital).  Anyway, so it goes when posting after my bedtime  :) 

• Super Contributor
Re: New Micsig STO1000
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2022, 11:28:50 am »
A model designation in the thread title would ease life for everyone.

Title updated, but: Do the numbers really mean much?

I'll put the date as well, it's probably more useful.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2022, 11:30:33 am by Fungus »

• Super Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2022, 11:31:21 am »
Still no statistics on measurements?

Doesn't look like it.

Offline ledtester

• Super Contributor
Re: New Micsig STO1000 (May 2022)
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2022, 04:00:34 am »
An extensive demo and discussion of the unit. The video description has a summary of the good/bad points. Also see the follow-up video the guy made.

« Last Edit: July 08, 2022, 04:29:10 am by ledtester »

The following users thanked this post: Martin72

Online DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #12 on: July 08, 2022, 09:25:39 pm »
Micsig (aka the McCorson company) seems happy that these other oscilloscope companies like Tektronix are leaning on Micsig's pioneering work..

McCorson news (Micsig company)
Flat-panel oscilloscope, the inevitable trend of technological development
Time: 2022-06-08
On June 8, 2022, Tektronix, a partner company, released a product that is different from its own style to the world: "Different Tektronix". Unsurprisingly, 9 years after Micsig released the world's first flat-panel oscilloscope After that, Tektronix released its own flat-panel oscilloscope.
We are proud of the new products of our friends. The follow-up of Tektronix is ​​the market's greatest recognition of the creativity of Micsig technology, just as the follow-up of Tektronix by friends in the field of traditional oscilloscopes is the greatest recognition of Tektronix. Micsig has been moving forward alone on the road of flat-panel oscilloscopes. The 10-year technology exploration and market development have not been accompanied by a friend or businessman. Users' joy and doubts about flat-panel oscilloscopes have always coexisted. Users are delighted with the product's performance and ultimate experience, but doubts Is disruptive innovation a niche alternative? Today, Tektronix, the industry leader, has finally followed Micsig, at least for Micsig users, no longer wandering for no reference: yes, flat-panel oscilloscopes are not alternatives, but technological development The inevitable trend! It's just that Micsig took the lead 9 years ahead of schedule, and was brave and determined.
Welcome to Tektronix, we are no longer alone in our growth path.

McCorson is a manufacturer and marketer in the field of signal test and measurement.
McKesson (Zhengzhou) was established in 2004, focusing on the R&D and manufacturing of rail traffic signal testing and measurement equipment.
Microxin (Shenzhen) was established in 2012, focusing on the research and development, manufacturing and sales of general electronic test and measurement instrument products.
We are committed to the exploration and development of cutting-edge technologies in the field of signal test and measurement, especially in the field of oscilloscopes and peripheral products, we have been at the forefront of innovation. Since its establishment, the company has owned a large number of technical patents and software copyrights.
Each of our inventions and innovations leads the industry trend change, and the following is the market's greatest recognition of Mackson's technical capabilities and creativity.
We created the industry's first full-touch flat-panel oscilloscope, and its smooth performance and ultimate user experience shocked the entire industry.
We created the industry's first oscilloscope powered by Android, making multifunctional test and measurement instruments smarter.
We have innovatively invented the industry's smallest oscilloscope high-voltage differential probe with excellent performance indicators, making it more convenient for users to use.
We are "Made in China" that global users unanimously evaluate as "everything comes from the original".
Our innovation has continued...
We insist on serving global users with "Mikexin Creation".
We listen to the criticism from the market and users to drive the company to grow rapidly.
We innovate around value, constantly surpass ourselves and pursue excellence.
We are dedicated, pragmatic and honest, diligent and responsible, and we will do what we say and what we do.
We look forward to your coming, to be our "God" or to serve our "God".

__ Honoring things.. would be nice, not least Micsig's incentive about porting some of the features & apps to the STO1000C series, that both Micsig's rep person and their engineer indicated were in the cards, and would be put in motion the moment they were done on bringing the new model to market, but its almost like +1year back since I talked with them - and no doubt that Covid likely turned things upside down with massive delay, but will try to reach out, and see if they still planning on introducing new features, and porting possible new goodies down the chain and something they indicated.

Seems the button interface on this (joystick) STO1000 (4ch) and STO2000 (2ch) has been toned down quite a bit in regards to the STO1000C/E & STO2000C (2ch).

Going from 23 buttons + 7 clickable rotatory knobs, down to only 19 buttons + 4 (4-way) clickable joysticks.
though the sizing still seems very similar
STO1000C/E and 2000C series = 280x180x50 versus STO1000 & STO2000 = 265*192*50mm
So the new joystick-version is -1.5cm shorter, while being +1.2cm higher, though Im not that crazy about these new Joysticks...
if I have a choice - I  prefer the clickable rotary knobs for a mobile-batteryscope' that also is intended to be used as bench scope, just as we also see on Tektronix's new MSO2 series..

Btw. As far as I can tell, it seems quite easy to attach a VESA-like plate mount to these Micsig scopes, obviously not much VESA - when it ain't VESA reference screw standards as per'se, but still..
As far as I have noticed - there are like 20 to 22 metal threaded inserts' that go into the front main-body housing..and at least 5 or 6 of these (around the corners and under the kickstand) goes directly out-the-back with their M3 screws.
So I would guess - you could likely just get some longer M3-screws - around 3.5 to 4cm in length, and simply attach the scope to the "plate, stand or even a hydraulic or spring-loaded arm on your bench' by simply using a few of the main screwholes" - obviously in non-VESA ref sizing standard.

Got quite a few of these thick adjustable stands, that is like 5mm or 4mm thick & beefy-aluplates and also quite heavy (around 1.5kg) and they were (still are) sold at CN EU store (quite cheap like 20 bucks, clearing price normally around 50) they work great for my work (stock-trading) where I often use these detachable books from Porsche and Microsoft, that I like a lot as individual platforms' that I can separate into Window & Android tablets.

« Last Edit: July 09, 2022, 09:25:05 pm by DaneLaw »

Offline ResistorRob

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #13 on: July 08, 2022, 09:33:29 pm »
Slow bootup time and noisy fan are the dealbreakers for me. Does the last generation with the hardware buttons also have these problems? I liked the aesthetics of the older ones better anyways, and they meet my modest requirements.
For my 10th Birthday I got a Fisher Price oscilloscope!

Online DaneLaw

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #14 on: July 08, 2022, 09:57:02 pm »
Slow bootup time and noisy fan are the dealbreakers for me. Does the last generation with the hardware buttons also have these problems? I liked the aesthetics of the older ones better anyways, and they meet my modest requirements.

The bootup time is a tad over 30 seconds from new' but it depends on your apps (as far as I remember).
// The bootup time to Android OS were loaded, are around 22 to 25sec, and then it takes around 15 to 20sec for the scope app, relay's, etc.

as I recall my bootup time (when I just got mine) went from like a tad over 30 seconds to more like a tad over 40 seconds after I took down "Office" with all these word programs and excel etc... (so I can easy datalog on the fly and handle it on the scope).
at least that was my impression, that this "office" app, actually slowed down my bootup time, but I could be wrong.. I never validated it.

The fan noise varies from model to model on Micsic-scopes and is certainly not a problem in my view, quite the contrary it will often be totally silent, while at certain tasks it will start up and then it will stop again... sadly I don't have any Android system-apps that could give me the individual component temps- to sense "when"..
as you can also hear in Mike's video... it's less on the STO-series, as that unit has a bigger single fan, while the ATO series (as I recall) had two smaller ones that often make a higher pitch (noise).

It's temperature-controlled.. so it's completely silent.. it's first after some time it will start up, but it will vary from your ambient-temp and I find it comfortable, but I'm also in a relatively cold climate here in Scandinavia..
and as you can also hear how Tektronix refers to if they could keep it passive or they had to implement a fan - in Dave's great talk with Andy Tedd (hence the new 2-series MSO2) https://youtu.be/PcxEO3fA_Ls ..
- and I guess the same reflects on Micisig, and they could likely have made it all passive, and no fan at all, but they need to also take into consideration that some people live in climates where it gets extremely warm.

« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 08:25:31 pm by DaneLaw »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf