Author Topic: New multimeters from Brymen  (Read 4053 times)

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
Re: New multimeters from Brymen
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2023, 01:40:16 am »
This is exactly the same as the BM235.  Maybe Brymen hasn't been getting much negative feedback on the BM235's battery life?

Can't say I've had any complaints.
The BM786 used a radically redesigned vertical battery holder with 3xAAA's.

Offline EEVblog

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2023, 01:43:53 am »
The "industrial" meters are smaller and have a very satisfying feel. You should try one.
They're also a lot tougher and have recessed screens so you can throw them in toolboxes. Less feature overload on the dial, too.

If I was an electrican that carried a tool bag daily then I'd certainly get optimised tools for the jobs. Small, robust, and no fuss is what you are after. Fluke have done this well.

Offline floobydust

• Super Contributor
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2023, 04:07:07 am »
I don't mean to laugh but can someone straighten the banana jacks please  :-DD   pic from Brymen website.
Yeah ... it is a bit triggering........

Is this better?

Um yes it looks better, it's way crooked on some other model's pics as well. But can you thicken the plastic tube so it doesn't crack and bust  :palm:

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2023, 04:35:11 am »
If I was an electrican that carried a tool bag daily then I'd certainly get optimised tools for the jobs. Small, robust, and no fuss is what you are after. Fluke have done this well.

I'm not sure what people have against the square Brymens. To me it's the oversized "baby-head" Brymens that look ugly.  :-//

Then again, my laptop is an old Panasonic Toughbook instead of a Macbook Pro so what do I know?

Edit: Maybe you have to see the meters in 3D on a bench to appreciate them. The "industrial ones" don't look their best when photographed directly front-on like on the Brymen web site and you don't see the size difference there either.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 04:44:02 am by Fungus »

Offline 5U4GB

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2023, 11:48:22 am »
Low Bat below 2.5V, Accus got 1.2V each..

That stuck out for me as well, it's effectively saying "Doesn't work with rechargeables" which would be rather annoying.  The BM235 and BM786 have the same issue, only the rather more expensive 121GW doesn't.

Having said that, has anyone used the possibly-problematic models with NiMH batteries?  Did they actually complain about the batteries?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 11:53:25 am by 5U4GB »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2023, 07:34:51 pm »
Having said that, has anyone used the possibly-problematic models with NiMH batteries?  Did they actually complain about the batteries?

Eneloops should work according to the discharge graphs on the Internet.

Online sonpul

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2023, 07:48:11 pm »
The BM235 and BM786 have the same issue, only the rather more expensive 121GW doesn't.

The BM789 (786 I think so) has no problem with 3xAAA batteries. I'm tired of waiting for the Panasonic Eneloop to run out. 6 months they work without recharging. Every day BM789 is at work, often I do not turn it off.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2023, 07:50:25 pm by sonpul »

The following users thanked this post: impetus_maximus, 5U4GB

Offline NoMoreMagicSmoke

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #32 on: June 06, 2023, 03:08:50 am »

That stuck out for me as well, it's effectively saying "Doesn't work with rechargeables" which would be rather annoying.  The BM235 and BM786 have the same issue, only the rather more expensive 121GW doesn't.

Eneloops fresh out of the package lasted a few months in my 789. I now have freshly charged ones to see how long they last.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf