Author Topic: NEW Next Gen 2 Series Tektronix Oscilloscope  (Read 67144 times)

Offline Stranger_danger

• Contributor
Re: NEW Next Gen Tektronix Scope
« Reply #75 on: May 20, 2022, 08:13:37 pm »
it has batteries. think of it as a low bandwidth hand held scope.

so it's the replacement to the TBS series? Their guy at a fair mentioned they were to come out "soon", if was short before the MDO series was released

The TPS and THS models.

Google Tektronix MSO22, MSO24 for details.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #76 on: May 20, 2022, 08:15:58 pm »
The latest models from Tek create 10x more posts, in the forum, before release date than after...    8)

The following users thanked this post: egonotto, 2N3055

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #77 on: May 20, 2022, 08:41:35 pm »
The latest models from Tek create 10x more posts, in the forum, before release date than after...    8)

Wait until they start posting on EEVblog from their scopes out in the field. Imagine how quiet it's going to be  :-DD

The following users thanked this post: xrunner, tv84, 2N3055

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #78 on: May 20, 2022, 08:54:43 pm »
Wait until they start posting on EEVblog from their scopes out in the field. Imagine how quiet it's going to be  :-DD

:-DD :-DD :-DD

Offline free_electron

• Super Contributor
    • SiliconValleyGarage
« Reply #79 on: May 20, 2022, 09:01:51 pm »
so you take a processor, slap a full blown server-grade os on it , install java to emulate a virtual processor ... then build a custom UI on top of that...

anybody see what is wrong with this ? lipstick and hats on a pig

I'll note that in the 90s some HP and Tek test equipment was built on top of Smalltalk.
don't diss that ! . the Alto ran smalltalk. that thing didn't even have a cpu ! it was all 74 series...

Look at the 54645 or 54622 series scopes. a simple 68000 processor. no Os. starts up in 2 seconds flat. turn a knob, push a button and it responds.
Same for the infiniium machines. (even the windows 95 ones). once the application loads the os is out of the way and the thing is reponsive

i can;t tell you how many times i have been frustratet at that super expenisve Lecroy Z6 machine. you turn the timebase know a bit too fast looking for right "speed" and the thing sits there zooming and "triggering" . irritating as hell.
That is my first test examining a scope. turn the timebase and see how fast it reacts. I'm ok if the machine has a boot time. scopes in a lab are left on 24/7 anyway. you want them temperature stable. but the UI has ot be responsive.

These 7500 series Tek scopes ran a java UI that was like molasses.
Professional Electron Wrangler.
Any comments, or points of view expressed, are my own and not endorsed , induced or compensated by my employer(s).

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #80 on: May 20, 2022, 09:26:49 pm »
so you take a processor, slap a full blown server-grade os on it , install java to emulate a virtual processor ... then build a custom UI on top of that...

I'll note that in the 90s some HP and Tek test equipment was built on top of Smalltalk.
don't diss that ! . the Alto ran smalltalk. that thing didn't even have a cpu ! it was all 74 series...

Look at the 54645 or 54622 series scopes. a simple 68000 processor. no Os. starts up in 2 seconds flat. turn a knob, push a button and it responds.
Same for the infiniium machines. (even the windows 95 ones). once the application loads the os is out of the way and the thing is reponsive

i can;t tell you how many times i have been frustratet at that super expenisve Lecroy Z6 machine. you turn the timebase know a bit too fast looking for right "speed" and the thing sits there zooming and "triggering" . irritating as hell.
That is my first test examining a scope. turn the timebase and see how fast it reacts. I'm ok if the machine has a boot time. scopes in a lab are left on 24/7 anyway. you want them temperature stable. but the UI has ot be responsive.

These 7500 series Tek scopes ran a java UI that was like molasses.

Oh, I'm certainly not dissing using Smalltalk. In the case I'm familiar with, it was clearly chosen for very good reasons by hardware engineers that understood the abstractions and how it could benefit the product.

The Alto did, like all other computer, have a CPU.some CPUs are made out of germanium transistors and ferrite rings, others out of divide by 10 neon counters (dekatrons).

I'm looking at the first computer on which I used Smalltalk: an Apple Fat Mac with IMB RAM, one floppy drive, and no hard drive. Since it runs the non-JITted first Xerox Smalltalk, it is glacially slow. Nonetheless it was, in 1986, sufficient for me to like Objective-C and dislike/ignore C++ when they arrived.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Offline EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #81 on: May 20, 2022, 09:52:15 pm »

Or think education. If you look at recent offerings from Tektronix, Keysight or R&S you'll see they also offer course work on the oscilloscope itself. https://www.tek.com/en/video/product-features/facilitate-student-learning-with-built-in-courseware-on-the-tbs1000c-oscilloscope BTW: That courseware module can also be used to put field testing guides onto an oscilloscope to guide field engineers through testing / troubleshooting an installation.

All in all a measurement device that can be used to access documents and internet is really handy to have with you in the field.

The courseware module is absolute dog shit on the TBS scopes. I had one in for a bit. It's a box tick feature to get through university and college buyers and absolutely no use for the intended purpose.
The courseware is just an example to show the general idea of turning an oscilloscope into a multi-function device is not as outlandisch as you may think. In the past decades we have seen all kinds of new (alien) features on oscilloscopes that used to be seperate devices like logic analysis, protocol decoding, spectrum analysis, waveform generators, DMM, power analysis, network analysis, etc. So why not add being able to access documents and internet? Makes perfect sense to me; MicSig seems to think so as well.

You might be disappointed.
Do the 3/4/5/6 series do this?
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 10:02:34 pm by EEVblog »

Offline Domitronic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #82 on: May 20, 2022, 10:23:03 pm »

3/4 don't. Not sure about 5/6 with Windows option. I guess with windows you can install web browser / PDF reader

Offline nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #83 on: May 20, 2022, 11:06:23 pm »

Or think education. If you look at recent offerings from Tektronix, Keysight or R&S you'll see they also offer course work on the oscilloscope itself. https://www.tek.com/en/video/product-features/facilitate-student-learning-with-built-in-courseware-on-the-tbs1000c-oscilloscope BTW: That courseware module can also be used to put field testing guides onto an oscilloscope to guide field engineers through testing / troubleshooting an installation.

All in all a measurement device that can be used to access documents and internet is really handy to have with you in the field.

The courseware module is absolute dog shit on the TBS scopes. I had one in for a bit. It's a box tick feature to get through university and college buyers and absolutely no use for the intended purpose.
The courseware is just an example to show the general idea of turning an oscilloscope into a multi-function device is not as outlandisch as you may think. In the past decades we have seen all kinds of new (alien) features on oscilloscopes that used to be seperate devices like logic analysis, protocol decoding, spectrum analysis, waveform generators, DMM, power analysis, network analysis, etc. So why not add being able to access documents and internet? Makes perfect sense to me; MicSig seems to think so as well.

Doesn't matter. The point is that extra features that may not be strongly related to the core function of a piece of test equipment can be useful to some people. It is foolish to dismiss such features.
« Last Edit: May 20, 2022, 11:09:34 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline ftwang

« Reply #84 on: May 21, 2022, 01:28:19 am »
Seems like Newark jumped the gun.

MIXED SIGNAL OSCILLOSCOPE: 2 ANALOG CHANNELS, 2.5GS/S SAMPLE RATE, 10MPTS RECORD LENGTH 350MHZ BANDWIDTH WITH P61398B PROBE UPGR
$6,890.00
https://www.newark.com/tektronix/mso22-2-bw-350-p6139b/mixed-signal-oscilloscope-2-analog/dp/32AK4982

MIXED SIGNAL OSCILLOSCOPE: 4 ANALOG CHANNELS, 2.5GS/S SAMPLE RATE, 10MPTS RECORD LENGTH 350MHZ BANDWIDTH WITH P61398B PROBE UPGR
$8,770.00
https://www.newark.com/tektronix/mso24-2-bw-350-p6139b/mixed-signal-oscilloscope-4-analog/dp/32AK4984

Seems kind of expensive if this is the MSO2000B replacement...

The following users thanked this post: edavid

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #85 on: May 21, 2022, 01:38:51 am »

3/4 don't. Not sure about 5/6 with Windows option. I guess with windows you can install web browser / PDF reader

I would assume so if it runs windows. A lot of high end scopes run windows so you can run Matlab and all sorts of engineering stuff on it as well.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #86 on: May 21, 2022, 01:40:10 am »

MIXED SIGNAL OSCILLOSCOPE: 2 ANALOG CHANNELS, 2.5GS/S SAMPLE RATE, 10MPTS RECORD LENGTH 350MHZ BANDWIDTH WITH P61398B PROBE UPGR
$6,890.00
https://www.newark.com/tektronix/mso22-2-bw-350-p6139b/mixed-signal-oscilloscope-2-analog/dp/32AK4982

MIXED SIGNAL OSCILLOSCOPE: 4 ANALOG CHANNELS, 2.5GS/S SAMPLE RATE, 10MPTS RECORD LENGTH 350MHZ BANDWIDTH WITH P61398B PROBE UPGR
$8,770.00
https://www.newark.com/tektronix/mso24-2-bw-350-p6139b/mixed-signal-oscilloscope-4-analog/dp/32AK4984

Well the cats out of the bag, except for photos. But I've got you covered, here is the high res shot.

The following users thanked this post: tv84, bd139

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #87 on: May 21, 2022, 01:41:42 am »

It starts much lower than that.

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #88 on: May 21, 2022, 03:37:47 am »
Doesn't matter. The point is that extra features that may not be strongly related to the core function of a piece of test equipment can be useful to some people. It is foolish to dismiss such features.

Not if your goal is to focus on what matters in a core product.
When you do product research with customers (which they did) you'll get literally every suggestion including the kitchen sink.
The art is deciding what's really important and what you should focus on.

The following users thanked this post: E-Design

Offline pcprogrammer

• Super Contributor
« Reply #89 on: May 21, 2022, 05:10:18 am »

It works for all those smartphones out there.  :-//

I don't recall my Micsig ever slowing down because I turned on a feature, unlike the expensive Teks that people are complaining about here.

Wait until a lot of updates have been installed. Android just like Linux variants, Apple stuff and Windows slow down over time due to updates and garbage collection. And with the update rate you see now a days it might be within a year or two.

That is what annoys me these days, the amount of useless updates you get thrown at you. Especially google apps tend to have this, and why. What improvements are needed on a mail application? And what happens, the things you liked about it disappear for shit to return |O

On top of that all of the modern methodologies are shit that is not oriented to making products that work, but to produce lots of visible "deliverables" so bosses see "the work".

And this, to me, seems to be the underlying intent. "See how much work I did boss?" And with the boss being ignorant about technology he most likely is easily impressed.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #90 on: May 21, 2022, 06:20:49 am »
I would assume so if it runs windows. A lot of high end scopes run windows so you can run Matlab and all sorts of engineering stuff on it as well.

Plus a web browser and document viewer?

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #91 on: May 21, 2022, 07:21:31 am »
Plus a web browser and document viewer?

On those Windows machines yes, usually you can.
But to be clear this new Tek 2 Series scope does not run windows nor have any ability to run apps or other OS applications.

Offline tggzzz

• Super Contributor
  • Numbers, not adjectives
    • Having fun doing more, with less
« Reply #92 on: May 21, 2022, 07:46:43 am »

When you do product research with customers (which they did) you'll get literally every suggestion including the kitchen sink.

Just so.

It it usually better to do one thing well rather than two things poorly.

There are exceptions, where it can make sense to put two adequate things in one enclosure. But those tend to be very specific special cases.
There are lies, damned lies, statistics - and ADC/DAC specs.
Glider pilot's aphorism: "there is no substitute for span". Retort: "There is a substitute: skill+imagination. But you can buy span".
Having fun doing more, with less

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #93 on: May 21, 2022, 08:15:26 am »

Just so.

It it usually better to do one thing well rather than two things poorly.

There are exceptions, where it can make sense to put two adequate things in one enclosure. But those tend to be very specific special cases.

Like multimeters? I don't know, those are kinda popular...  :-DD

Joking aside, it really depends of what is adequate for certain job. For instance, if all you want to check if CPU crystal is oscillating at 10MHz and accuracy is not critical, scope internal frequency measurements are more than good enough. I also never bought timer/counter (I  have counter) because I have a scope that has timing measurements that can go down in picosecond resolutions, with added benefit you don't fly blind...
Good 12 bit (or more) scope will be a good sampling RMS voltmeter with very large bandwidths... So I never got that specialized RMS meter..
I don't need to do any of these measurements to a calibration lab level, and really outstanding specialized instruments are not justified for me.
Modern scopes are next step multimeters.

And today's scopes can actually do many things well, if done right.. Of course, there is no need to put a TurboTax on a scope....
There has to be a focus as to what it is.

Offline Domitronic

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #94 on: May 21, 2022, 08:23:02 am »

$6,890.00

$8,770.00

It says "WITH P61398B PROBE". I guess this could mean no TekVPI Interface? Wouldn't buy a scope where we can not even use the Tektronix current probes and differential probes. Or is it just cost saving not to provide TPP0500 with the scope?
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 08:26:30 am by Domitronic »

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #95 on: May 21, 2022, 08:32:35 am »

As usual...

MSO24 2-BW-70-DB-DDU-DEMO DEMO-MSO24 OSCILLOSCOPE 70MHZ BANDWIDTH, 4CH WITH DEMO BOARD  $3,040.00

MSO22 2-BW-350:2-P6139B MIXED SIGNAL OSCILLOSCOPE: 2 ANALOG CHANNELS, 2.5GS/S SAMPLE RATE, 10MPTS RECORD LENGTH 350MHZ  $6.890
MSO22 2-BW-500:2-P6139B MIXED SIGNAL OSCILLOSCOPE: 2 ANALOG CHANNELS, 2.5GS/S SAMPLE RATE, 10MPTS RECORD LENGTH 500MHZ  $9.270

MSO24 2-BW-350:2-P6139B MIXED SIGNAL OSCILLOSCOPE: 4 ANALOG CHANNELS, 2.5GS/S SAMPLE RATE, 10MPTS RECORD LENGTH 350MHZ  $8.770
MSO24 2-BW-500:2-P6139B MIXED SIGNAL OSCILLOSCOPE: 4 ANALOG CHANNELS, 2.5GS/S SAMPLE RATE, 10MPTS RECORD LENGTH 500MHZ  $11.300
« Last Edit: May 21, 2022, 11:12:04 am by tv84 »

The following users thanked this post: edavid

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #96 on: May 21, 2022, 08:38:17 am »
Some good sleuthing there.

Ultimately that pricing is good for Siglent at least  :popcorn:

Offline Sighound36

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #97 on: May 21, 2022, 08:51:57 am »
If this Tek's replacement for the 2 series, the spec's are not really to write home about, cost wise that not exactly student friendly or even pro lab basic friendly  :-//. Given the the past few years of overhyped and under performing 4/5/6 series scopes and the subsiquent revamps. Apart from the form factor and the hint the  ' Home James, senic route, Hamilton style' possibility another missed oppotunity, or I am being a touch cynical here?
Seeking quality measurement equipment at realistic cost with proper service backup. If you pay peanuts you employ monkeys.

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #98 on: May 21, 2022, 08:53:01 am »
Some good sleuthing there.

Ultimately that pricing is good for Siglent at least  :popcorn:
MSO24 2-BW-500:2-P6139B MIXED SIGNAL OSCILLOSCOPE: 4 ANALOG CHANNELS, 2.5GS/S SAMPLE RATE, 10MPTS RECORD LENGTH 500MHZ  $11.300
For that sort of coin the 12" display 2 GHz SDS6204A with 500 Mpts blows it outta the water at under $10k.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #99 on: May 21, 2022, 09:18:47 am »
it has batteries. think of it as a low bandwidth hand held scope.

so it's the replacement to the TBS series? Their guy at a fair mentioned they were to come out "soon", if was short before the MDO series was released

The TPS and THS models.

Google Tektronix MSO22, MSO24 for details.

of course i meant to write TPS  :palm:

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf