Author Topic: NEW Next Gen 2 Series Tektronix Oscilloscope  (Read 67150 times)

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
Re: NEW Next Gen Tektronix Scope
« Reply #250 on: May 25, 2022, 04:09:43 pm »
The thing I know will happen is some numbskull engineer will poke the buttons with a scope probe or screwdriver which just happens to be in their hand and penetrate the membrane.

Maybe he'll operate the touchscreen with the screwdriver as well.   :-//

Offline gslick

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #251 on: May 25, 2022, 04:18:30 pm »
Got this email teaser from Newark today. I suppose we should tune into YouTube on June 7th for Dave's video to go public.

Something big is coming…
but it’s smaller than you expected
Stay tuned and get excited for Next Gen Tek
The wait is almost over and it’s time to get ready for something big in the works. We cant unveil anything just yet (sorry!) but what we can say for now is mark this date down of June 7th.

« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 04:20:10 pm by gslick »

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #252 on: May 25, 2022, 07:11:34 pm »
Why isn't there any example pic in the datasheet showing hands+probes? ?

I think we know the answer to that one...  :-X

Offline Caliaxy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #253 on: May 25, 2022, 08:14:02 pm »

"Get rid of those wires, they distract and complicate unnecessarily the composition" :)

Whoever took the pics was probably concerned more of the esthetics (exposure, lighting, reflections, Apple-like simplicity, poser's pose etc.) than of the logic of actually using the device.

The location of the probes under the screen might be just fine and might not impede the operation in any way in normal use. Micsig's probes placement above the screen seemed to many a bad idea too. People worried about the wires obstructing the screen, but it turned out not to be the case at all.

The following users thanked this post: nctnico, james_s

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #254 on: May 25, 2022, 08:50:21 pm »

"Get rid of those wires, they distract and complicate unnecessarily the composition" :)

Whoever took the pics was probably concerned more of the esthetics (exposure, lighting, reflections, Apple-like simplicity, poser's pose etc.) than of the logic of actually using the device.

The location of the probes under the screen might be just fine and might not impede the operation in any way in normal use. Micsig's probes placement above the screen seemed to many a bad idea too. People worried about the wires obstructing the screen, but it turned out not to be the case at all.

Unfortunately I get a feeling that that most of this scope concept is about cool looks... Like somebody up said "Apple of scopes" kind...

BNCs on the bottom make sense because despite all kind of stupid photos Tek takes, that is a cool, thin looking desktop scope. With batteries it will weigh few kilos and be huge to hold with one hand. So like I said, a scope that has mobility of laptop around the lab.. Membrane keyboard might be a hit feature where scope needs to wiped down and disinfected.. Many places you don't get instruments dedicated to you, but basically check out what you need..

This one is small and light,  you grab it, take to your desk and it takes little desk space...
This is also why Micsig is brilliant, despite being quite limited in some respects...
Except Micsig is actually portable, has built in battery and you can use it handheld.

I don't know how good this ne Tek is. I didn't try it. I don't know how well it will be accepted..

But I give kudos to Tek. For first time in many years they did try to think a bit out of the box.
They will probably autodestruct with too high prices and usual attitude, but this scope had some innovation in thinking.

The following users thanked this post: Fungus

Offline bd139

• Super Contributor
« Reply #255 on: May 25, 2022, 09:33:55 pm »

The following users thanked this post: 2N3055, pcprogrammer

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #256 on: May 25, 2022, 09:37:22 pm »
But I give kudos to Tek. For first time in many years they did try to think a bit out of the box.
They will probably autodestruct with too high prices and usual attitude, but this scope had some innovation in thinking.
I'm not so sure. The alternatives to this scope are the R&S RTB2004 or a 2 series from Keysight. If you need more memory compared to the Keysight and the RTB2004 doesn't really fit your purpose, then this Tektronix 2 series can be a good alternative. But this will depend on whether the UI makes sense. One of the things that may set this Tektronix apart by a large margin is doing math on the actual acquired data instead of decimated data (that should become clear once the manual is released) with some reasonable processing speed for a change. Maybe Dave can comment on this.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2022, 09:40:14 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

The following users thanked this post: jasonRF

Online coppice

• Super Contributor
« Reply #257 on: May 25, 2022, 09:37:30 pm »

Are you saying Tek is seriously underwater at this point?

Online Hydrawerk

• Super Contributor
« Reply #258 on: May 25, 2022, 10:05:14 pm »
What is the waveform update rate of this scope??
Amazing machines. https://www.youtube.com/user/denha (It is not me...)

Offline Someone

• Super Contributor
    • send complaints here
« Reply #259 on: May 25, 2022, 11:28:18 pm »
I'm not so sure. The alternatives to this scope are the R&S RTB2004 or a 2 series from Keysight. If you need more memory compared to the Keysight and the RTB2004 doesn't really fit your purpose, then this Tektronix 2 series can be a good alternative. But this will depend on whether the UI makes sense. One of the things that may set this Tektronix apart by a large margin is doing math on the actual acquired data instead of decimated data (that should become clear once the manual is released) with some reasonable processing speed for a change. Maybe Dave can comment on this.
Lol, like Dave trying to steer comparisons to the "ancient" Agilent Keysight 2000 series? Pricing that was briefly up for these Tek scopes was not flattering in that segment. But still...

Siglent 2000X: Math and Measurements on full sample points

look the other way! no comparison possible! definitely no low end scopes doing anything with the raw data, only TEK has the power /s

Online EEVblogTopic starter

• Administrator
    • EEVblog
« Reply #260 on: May 26, 2022, 01:19:23 am »
Got this email teaser from Newark today. I suppose we should tune into YouTube on June 7th for Dave's video to go public.

Guess I'd better go shoot it!  :scared:
I already have two videos, one is a single take first impressions video. Another is again a single take 40min discussion with Mr Bean. Both shot back in April.

The following users thanked this post: thm_w, bd139

Online tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #261 on: May 26, 2022, 01:40:24 am »

Guess I'd better go shoot it!  :scared:
Yeah get on with it will ya !  :horse:
For sure there's enough ideas of what to check for in this thread already.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline JPortici

• Super Contributor
« Reply #262 on: May 26, 2022, 05:23:37 am »
and the teardown!!!  ;D

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #263 on: May 26, 2022, 07:20:37 am »

U/I makes sense for a touch screen.
Keysight 2000 is not even alternative to Keysight's own 1000 series that is more rounded and more powerful scope.

RTB2000 is on the market longer and most of the big bugs are fixed. Math is limited. But R&S does occasionally sell it at prices that are almost realistic.

I don't care for this bullshit let's compare it to other 2000 series.. Only comparison is by price.

If this thing costs as much as Siglent SDS6000 or Keysight 3000T/G, or R&S RTM3000 or whatever, that is what you compare it to.. And in that company it is not looking good...

Even Siglent 1000X-E series measures from full data (Rigol MSO5000 has that option too, but is off by default).
Actually, Keysight and R&S are left behind in that regard in this segment..

The following users thanked this post: Someone

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #264 on: May 26, 2022, 11:22:32 am »
With all this teaser frenzy, who is thinking in buying one?

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #265 on: May 26, 2022, 12:54:44 pm »
Well, it could be an interesting option to recommend to customers as a relatively cheap but trustworthy daily driver (after the initial firmware issues have been solved) besides the RTB2004. But it will depend on how well it works and price; I'd be surprised if this 2 series scope isn't priced competitively compared to the RTB2004 though.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 01:07:31 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #266 on: May 26, 2022, 02:00:23 pm »
Are we going start a pool on pricing?  :popcorn:

I'll say $3500 USD for the entry level 2-channel, 70Mhz model, rising to about $12000 for fully-loaded 4-channel 350Mhz MSO with all options (probes sold separately...)

Serial decoders? $1200 for RS232/I2C+SPI, another $1200 for CAN.
Battery option? "The price of a Micsig for the adapter+one battery and an extra $250 for each additional battery"
Rubber bumpers? $300

Offline KrzysztofB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #267 on: May 26, 2022, 02:02:15 pm »
2500$ for basic i bet. 12K for fully loaded one? No way. 7K max. Well maybe 500 MHz will bump the price.
There is only one serial bundle and CAN is included according to datasheet.

I'm interested. I have RTB2004 but something more portable would be nice. However that deppends also on how expensive addons will be. That is as me private.
For work I'll definately order one. One 2 series and one 4B when that gets released.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 02:15:36 pm by KrzysztofB »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #268 on: May 26, 2022, 02:15:42 pm »
Well, it could be an interesting option to recommend to customers as a relatively cheap but trustworthy daily driver (after the initial firmware issues have been solved) besides the RTB2004. But it will depend on how well it works and price; I'd be surprised if this 2 series scope isn't priced competitively compared to the RTB2004 though.

Trustworthy? It's a clean slate design, some reuse from current 3 series... I'll decide on trustworthy after few years.
RTB2000 was a mess when it came out... Took some time for R&S to get it to expected level...

I'd be surprised if it would be priced competitively.... Current 2000 is not and this new one is actually much more capable device. At least on the paper..

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #269 on: May 26, 2022, 02:24:15 pm »
2500$ for basic i bet. 12K for fully loaded one? No way. 7K max. Well maybe 500 MHz will bump the price.
There is only one serial bundle and CAN is included according to datasheet.

I'm interested. I have RTB2004 but something more portable would be nice. However that deppends also on how expensive addons will be. That is as me private.
For work I'll definately order one. One 2 series and one 4B when that gets released.

What makes you think that it is more portable than RTB2000 in reality? To carry it around the lab external laptop like PSU will be more annoying than standard power cord, and with battery, it is bigger and twice as heavy sa RTB2000.

For 7K you can get better scopes elsewhere... Much better..

The following users thanked this post: thm_w

Offline Hydron

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #270 on: May 26, 2022, 03:23:29 pm »
RTB2004 is nice and light, but that's a double-edged sword - it also doesn't feel sturdy enough (especially the moulded grid stuff on the back/sides) to lug outside the lab regularly even with a front cover on it.

As others have pointed out, the RTB2k also has a LOT of internal wasted space (likely to keep the tooling similar for the higher end versions which DO need the space), and R&S could easily have offered an internal battery option. Given the whole thing runs off a straight 12V PSU (and likely even a 11.1V nominal lithium ion) an internal mod with a self-charging battery option would be totally doable if one wanted, but I've never really needed it for mine.

The following users thanked this post: bd139

Offline KrzysztofB

• Regular Contributor
« Reply #271 on: May 26, 2022, 03:36:03 pm »

What makes you think that it is more portable than RTB2000 in reality?
Battery?

And what I'm talking about is nice compact device that can help me quickly connect and find basic problems. Not research and developement. I don't need full 500MHz one, for that we have different device.

I really like new UI in tektronix device. It's the best i so far experienced. Od course you can get better specs for that money, but best specs per $ is not always priority.

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #272 on: May 26, 2022, 04:56:29 pm »
I'll say $3500 USD for the entry level 2-channel, 70Mhz model, rising to about $12000 for fully-loaded 4-channel 350Mhz MSO with all options (probes sold separately...)

Fungus, shown before that the MSO24 70MHz (with a demo board) was $3.040 (newark).

So, it's cheaper than your bet!  :)

And since it's all software maybe it will be possible a fully-loaded for that price.

Offline DEV001

• Contributor
« Reply #273 on: May 26, 2022, 05:42:32 pm »
What is the waveform update rate of this scope??

I am also wondering this as I haven't found any mention of it in the data sheet. I recall Dave running a test on an older model and he said the scope was slow. ;D 

https://youtu.be/07VkEUUd0eo?t=1685

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #274 on: May 26, 2022, 05:51:01 pm »
I'm interested. I have RTB2004 but something more portable would be nice.

Micsig?

Depends on your needs, I guess...

I just noticed there's a trendy new Micsig on the block:

https://www.micsig.com/product5/

(battery included and with a strap on the left side so you can actually hold it with one hand...)

Edit: New thread started to discuss it...
« Last Edit: May 26, 2022, 07:13:43 pm by Fungus »

The following users thanked this post: nctnico

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf