Author Topic: new Oscilloscope choice  (Read 24227 times)

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
Re: new Oscilloscope choice
« Reply #100 on: May 06, 2021, 09:59:04 am »
This is exactly how all the hunting accidents happen... Shooting in the dark in random direction, hoping you hit something. Even your fellow huntsman is fine, as long you shot something, anything...  :-DD

Simply, deliberately scope wider and then inspect... Or you would like scope to be smarter than you..?

If only all the real-world signals were predictable, too.

What was that? You captured an infrequent glitch and wanted to zoom out to see what came before/after? Oh, dear.

Signals might not be ( they actually are, most of the time, that is why it is called engineering and not witchcraft...) all the time, but area of interest is.
By looking at the DUT, you can (and have to, to have some starting point) guesstimate order of magnitude where interesting stuff will happen.
Everything inside that window is interesting at first... So you grab that, stop (or single in a first place), grab a coffee, lean back and start digging...
As you investigate, you will notice some points of interest and dig in more...

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #101 on: May 06, 2021, 10:06:25 am »
Hello!
Sorry for entering to this topic, but could you advise please - is the Tonghui TDO3102B enough for ripple measurements of low voltage DC power supplies?
It is quite old model, but I've got it almost for free as "NOS".
Thanks!

It seems like a simple basic scope that will be good enough for general work. If you got it for almost free, congratulations. It is going to be useful. Working scope is a working scope.

As for ripple, it all depends on what PSU we are talking about. For general purpose switchers with 10s of mV P-P ripple or more, sure, you'll be able to see useful things..
For low noise switchers and linear PSU, you won't be able to verify specifications exactly, but for servicing purposes, you will be able to spot obviously broken PSU with too high noise... So again, better than nothing.

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #102 on: May 06, 2021, 10:18:20 am »
Most certainly, the "always on" history segment capability isn't dependent upon WYSIAYG, and I did note that.  But it is a part of Siglent's approach to things, and I think it's a good choice because, firstly, it ensures that memory is always used to its fullest even if the user configures a smaller capture size,
How is that any different than configuring the DSO to use full memory size and using it as a single acquisition? At one end you reason you want to see what you get but on the other end you find a variable (!) number off-screen acquisitions in history mode good to have. Why is having multiple individual acquisitions off-screen in memory good while having off-screen data from a single acquisition is not good?

Because multiple individual acquisitions represent multiple trigger events (each one corresponds to a trigger event), while a single large-memory capture represents a single trigger event. Sure, the capture might contain additional trigger events but, of course, you have to explicitly search for them.  The same is true even with segments, of course, because the amount of time you captured in a single segment could contain multiple trigger events.  But the presence of multiple captured segments guarantees that you'll see multiple trigger events irrespective of your timebase and other capture settings, assuming they happened and the scope noticed them.  That, of course, is true of all segment systems.

The Siglent approach allows for both a single full memory capture and a multi-segment capture, simply by changing the timebase and memory depth appropriately.  It allows you to use all of the memory in a single acquisition if you like, and it's not like it's hard to set that up: set your memory depth to the maximum, set your timebase large enough that the scope shows all of your memory being used, and you're done.  But if you explicitly tell it to use less than full memory depth, just as you can with the other scopes, it will use the remaining memory for additional segments automatically (as long as your capture is using less than half of the memory, of course), while the other scopes don't use the additional memory for anything at all (at least that I've seen).

Now, of course, you can generally get all scopes that do segments to do roughly the same thing.  Roughly.  But how much work you have to do in order to achieve it varies.  With the Instek, for instance, I have to enable segments, then I have to specify my memory depth, then I have to specify the number of segments I want (the maximum the scope allows me to set this to is dependent on the memory depth, which is why I had to do that first), and then if I care about the time duration of a capture (if, for instance, I'm looking to maximize the capture rate while capturing enough time per capture to see the problem), I have to configure my timebase such that the scope's sample rate divided into the memory depth gets me a time duration that meets my requirements.

With the Siglent, you set the timebase so the screen covers the capture length you want, optionally set the memory depth to act as the upper bound on the capture size (e.g., if you know you'll want some minimum number of segments), and you're done.

That is the difference between segments being an afterthought and segments being first-class objects that are baked into the system from the start.

I can't remember the specifics now, but Instek's segment implementation (as an example) has some arbitrary limitations, and conflicts with some of the other features the scope makes available.  And that almost certainly wouldn't be the case if segments were a first-class object in the implementation, instead of an afterthought.
You need to seperate two things here: user interface and acquisition engine.

It might even be more complicated than that.  There's also the processing that happens in between, which from the point of view of the UI might happen in the background or the foreground but would still (more likely than not) have to care about segments all the same.

For the acquisition engine segmented recording is nothing more than cycling the acquisition position counter between a lower and higher boundry (start & end point). In fact most (if not all DSOs) have segmented recording at the base of the operation of the acquisition engine in order to have double buffering (*). Once the acquisition is done the acquisition position counter and trigger point are stored and the acquisition is handed over to the rendering engine. This is not rocket science to implement (been there, done that).

Of course.  The difference is that additional segments over and above the one used for double buffering aren't necessarily accounted for throughout the firmware, but they would be if the segmenting system itself is a first-class mechanism in the firmware.  If you do everything through the segmenting system, as Siglent seems to, then everything you do will automatically account for it because the standard way of getting at the data will be through the segmenting system.

It depends on the user interface on how the segments are displayed & handled. There is a wild variety of ways and depending on what you need one DSO may be better suited than the other but this doesn't mean segmented recording as a base has been added as an afterthought. Displaying segments is not GW Instek's strong suit but they have a rather unique feature which allows to do statistic analysis on the recorded segments.

Right.  But the one example I can think of off the top of my head with respect to the Instek is the FFT.  It will not display the FFT as processed for each segment.  It will display only a single FFT trace regardless of what the segment contains.

Maybe that's a bug, but in a way, that's the point: the segments aren't first-class objects that are always used, so the notion of the "current segment" wasn't considered for the FFT.  I'd wager that in Instek's firmware architecture, you have to go out of your way to get the data from the current segment.  But that's just a wild guess on my part.

I could swear there's another feature that conflicts with the segment system on the Instek (maybe the pass/fail mask test?  I'll have to experiment to find it again).

So how useful are segments anyway?  Obviously useful enough that most of the scope manufacturers have implemented it.  But I find Siglent's "always on" approach to be the preferred one.  You don't have to use it if you don't want to, but it's always there anyway, just in case you do.  That's sort of like the "zoom out" capability you like: it's always there in case you need it.  The difference is that the "zoom out" capability hinges on the time length of your buffer being larger than your screen's time width, but even on scopes like the Instek that is something that is not guaranteed!  But I expect that for most scenarios, it'll be there for you.   The same could theoretically be said of the Siglent, but there's only one situation in which it won't be there: when you've told it to use the full capture buffer *and* your timebase is long enough to result in the scope having to use more than 50% of the available sample memory for the capture.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 10:34:52 am by kcbrown »

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #103 on: May 06, 2021, 10:58:00 am »
The main advantage to Siglent's approach (and note that this advantage isn't dependent upon WYSIAYG) is that segmented memory is always active.

Segmented mode can be useful but I'd like to be able to turn it off and just use all the memory. I'm sure zooming out is the more useful of the two modes.

If you don't find zooming out to be a difficult thing, then you can do that in order to use all the memory.   >:D

The real problem with the Siglent is that you don't have the option to do it. Even in Segmented mode you could still capture a bit more on either side (the trigger point can be in the center of the screen so that's not where it starts capturing). Wouldn't it be nice to set an "overcapture" value to be able to capture three or four more screens worth...?

I'd certainly like to see them do this for those cases where the number of segments has already been maxed out.  At that point you may as well use the remaining memory for buffer on either side, but doing so would extend the capture duration and would thus (potentially) reduce the waveform rate.  And, of course, it would increase the amount of per-frame data that has to be processed to perform measurements and such, though at such small timebases I hardly see how that would make any difference whatsoever.  So it may or may not be what you really want, depending on the situation.  For most situations, sure, I could see it being desirable, most especially if it's an option you can toggle.

But as for setting a deliberate "overcapture" value, that's arguably what you get when you use zoom mode.

Zoom mode isn't a substitute on scopes where zoom mode has limits that standard mode doesn't.  But on the 2104X+, at least, I know of no such limits.  About the only thing I'd like to see that Siglent hasn't done with that is to make it possible to reduce the "full capture" portion of the screen to the small representation that you see on other scopes like the Instek and Micsig.  The end result would basically be exactly what you're looking for.

Dave's video shows an example where the Siglent captures only 10 samples. That's ridiculous.

Odd usability corner cases exist in most things, so it's not exactly a surprise to see one here.

The primary advantage to WYSIAYG is obviousness.  You know just by looking what you're going to get.  There's no guessing or computation needed to understand how much time a given capture is going to represent.  It's right there in front of you.

I've never felt I needed to know exactly how much more there is to left/right of the screen. It's just nice to have something (anything!).

Well, the problem with that approach is that it then becomes hit or miss as to whether you get what you need.  Yeah, you can readjust as needed, but that's true of the Siglent as well.  But the main advantage with the Siglent is that you can easily know that you're capturing what you need.  If you know anything about the characteristics of the thing you're examining then you can easily set up the Siglent so that it's guaranteed to capture what you're after.  And if that doesn't end up working then you can readjust just like you would with any other scope.

It's not so much knowing exactly how much more there is to the left or right of the screen, so much as knowing that what you're capturing is enough.

FWIW my Micsig has a little indicator at the top to give you an idea how much extra there is at any given time. The area inside the brackets [...] is what's currently visible on screen. In this image the memory depth is set to "Auto" and there's a couple more screenfuls on either side.

Yeah, that's handy, and it's a good way to get an intuitive idea of how much time you're capturing.   Other scopes have that too (including the Instek).

I don't regard the Siglent/LeCroy approach to this as being massively different, honestly.  It just requires a slightly different way of thinking about things.   It admittedly could be nice if Siglent allowed you to define an overcapture size.  It could then always capture on that basis.  Then again, zoom mode really makes that unnecessary, at least in the 2104X+. 

My one major criticism of Siglent is that they didn't make zoom mode a first-class citizen in their scopes from the start.  And given how their scopes operate, they should have.

Offline ROMUZ

« Reply #104 on: May 06, 2021, 11:03:41 am »

As for ripple, it all depends on what PSU we are talking about. For general purpose switchers with 10s of mV P-P ripple or more, sure, you'll be able to see useful things..

2N3055 Thank you for your reply!
It is about standard PC ATX PSUs.
I am asking about this because I can't get figures closer to reviewers can get.
For example, there are 2 identical PSUs on my hands, and reviewer's figure on the same PSU model on 12V is around 10mV while my scope shows at least 2-3 times higher under the same load on these 2 PSUs.
My scope is connected to the active load by BNC-BNC cable, AC coupling, BW 20MHz on, averaging off, 50mV/d, 5ms/d. Also the scope is powered through isolation transformer.
So the question, am I doing something wrong, or my scope is not good for such measurements? Unfortunately I can't get another scope for comparison.
Sorry for bothering and many thanks for your help!

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #105 on: May 06, 2021, 11:33:45 am »
Wouldn't it be nice to set an "overcapture" value to be able to capture three or four more screens worth...?

It admittedly could be nice if Siglent allowed you to define an overcapture size.  It could then always capture on that basis.

There you go. That could be the answer that fits in with the current design and keeps everybody happy, including the Siglent bosses.

(Who said this discussion was useless?)

Online tunk

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #106 on: May 06, 2021, 11:42:19 am »
My scope is connected to the active load by BNC-BNC cable, AC coupling, BW 20MHz on, averaging off, 50mV/d, 5ms/d.
No expert on this, but you could try maybe 10uS/div to get a better view of the wave form.
And the review could be RMS, and you're seeing peak values.

The following users thanked this post: ROMUZ

Offline tv84

• Super Contributor
« Reply #107 on: May 06, 2021, 11:52:56 am »
(Who said this discussion was useless?)

For sure. This theme started long ago BUT, in the last year or so, due to several relapses, it evolved and clarified a lot with the contribution of many members.

It hasn't changed my mind/opinion ( :D ) but it surely has been a learning process.  :clap:

Online Caliaxy

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #108 on: May 06, 2021, 12:16:37 pm »

For example, there are 2 identical PSUs on my hands, and reviewer's figure on the same PSU model on 12V is around 10mV while my scope shows at least 2-3 times higher under the same load on these 2 PSUs.
My scope is connected to the active load by BNC-BNC cable, AC coupling, BW 20MHz on, averaging off, 50mV/d, 5ms/d.

Do you have a 50 ohm termination?

Offline ROMUZ

« Reply #109 on: May 06, 2021, 12:30:24 pm »
Do you have a 50 ohm termination?

I don't have.
The manufacturer of active load said just connect the bundled BNC-BNC cables to my oscilloscope and that's all.

And the review could be RMS, and you're seeing peak values.

Intel ATX guide says about peak to peak values, so if reviewers use RMS values, it is not correct for readers IMHO.

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #110 on: May 06, 2021, 12:34:17 pm »

2N3055 Thank you for your reply!
It is about standard PC ATX PSUs.
My scope is connected to the active load by BNC-BNC cable, AC coupling, BW 20MHz on, averaging off, 50mV/d, 5ms/d. Also the scope is powered through isolation transformer.
So the question, am I doing something wrong, or my scope is not good for such measurements? Unfortunately I can't get another scope for comparison.
Sorry for bothering and many thanks for your help!

No problem, if I can help my pleasure..

Beware that load can inject noise too, and can be unstable, so it would oscillate and that would show as additional ripple. Good practice is to have few powerful resistors you can use to check loading with, to make sure how PSU behaves with purely (or mostly) resistive load. You use that if you suspect there is interaction between PSU and active load. In a pinch, a halogen car headlight light bulb is a good load. Smaller car lamps to. you can even combine them to get certain value. They drop current as they heat up, so they are good test for impulse load. Use your imagination...

Like Tunk said, usually ripple is expressed in RMS. P-P values can be sometimes quite high and consist of fast pulses.
I found manual for the scope, and it does seem to have RMS measurement. I always measure RMS and P-P to get a feeling of the signal.
Difference between RMS and P-P will highly depend on the waveform.

Also like Tunk said, you need to measure at few different timebases.
That scope actually have FFT too, so you might want to play with it a bit. You can see harmonic content on output of PSU. That you can use to maybe make filters and check if there are improvements.
Also PSU with bad capacitors will have different waveform and peak more... You can take one PSU that works well, and desolder output capacitors and replace them with smaller ones. Note the waveform before and after..
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 07:09:52 pm by 2N3055 »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #111 on: May 06, 2021, 12:46:07 pm »
Intel ATX guide says about peak to peak values, so if reviewers use RMS values, it is not correct for readers IMHO.

Intel PSU design guide recommends measurement with load in paralel with 0.1uF ceramic and 10uF tantal...  some 120mV P-P is allowed on 12V..

Make note that PC motherboards have massive capacitor banks on it's own power busses, and many local regulators that regulate voltages locally.
Therefore PSU that is measured out of circuit might look much worse than with motherboard..

Yeah reviewers can use whatever.. Just make sure to compare same type of figures...

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #112 on: May 06, 2021, 06:58:23 pm »
It admittedly could be nice if Siglent allowed you to define an overcapture size.  It could then always capture on that basis.

There you go. That could be the answer that fits in with the current design and keeps everybody happy, including the Siglent bosses.

I have a suspicion it still wouldn't make nctnico happy.   At least, not unless one of the options for that setting was "use all the memory for the capture".

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #113 on: May 06, 2021, 07:36:26 pm »

I have a suspicion it still wouldn't make nctnico happy.   At least, not unless one of the options for that setting was "use all the memory for the capture".
If the overcapture size can be set to full memory it is OK indeed. For a significant number of the measurements I do there is no use for having segmented recording or history. What would end up in history relates to the previous version of the software and is totally irrelevant. There is just one single acquisition record I'm interested in and the longer it can be, the better with as much information on screen as possible and the freedom to use the zoom function at will (and not to force the acquisition length). Search is an excellent tool to look for specific anomalies in a long record and contrary to triggering you can change the search condition to look for different aspects without needing to make a new measurement. From using logic analysers I have learned that taking long captures and analyse afterwards is an efficient workflow for some type of measurements. More efficient & easier compared to trying to stitch together a whole bunch of individual measurements (which might not reflect the same circumstances as well which is another source of measurement uncertainty) to form a picture of what is going on. The aim is to reduce the number of iterations you have to go through in order to finish a measurement.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 07:43:01 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline Fungus

• Super Contributor
« Reply #114 on: May 06, 2021, 08:24:17 pm »
If the overcapture size can be set to full memory it is OK indeed. For a significant number of the measurements I do there is no use for having segmented recording or history.

Yep. That's the probelem right there.

Segmented memory is useful for some percentage of the time but I'd say "overcapture" useful for more of the time.

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #115 on: May 06, 2021, 08:51:06 pm »
If the overcapture size can be set to full memory it is OK indeed. For a significant number of the measurements I do there is no use for having segmented recording or history. What would end up in history relates to the previous version of the software and is totally irrelevant. There is just one single acquisition record I'm interested in and the longer it can be, the better with as much information on screen as possible and the freedom to use the zoom function at will (and not to force the acquisition length).

So this being the case, what would you do if, say, you had 5 minutes worth of capture memory at full sample rate?  Or an hour?

I'm curious if there's some sort of upper limit on the amount of time you want your capture to cover, for your typical use case.  Obviously there might be some cases where even an hour's worth of capture time might be just the ticket.  But here, I'm talking about your typical use case, where some long duration might simply be too long for you.

Search is an excellent tool to look for specific anomalies in a long record and contrary to triggering you can change the search condition to look for different aspects without needing to make a new measurement.

Yep.  And I am rather underwhelmed with the search capabilities of the Siglent (not with respect to segments, but rather with respect to the available search conditions).  It's a weakness that I think needs to be addressed.  The Instek is better in that regard.

Remember how I was talking about how segments are an afterthought in the Instek?  Well, it turns out that the search capability on the Instek is a great example of how that's the case.  It's not available at all with segments turned on.

« Last Edit: May 09, 2021, 08:37:51 pm by kcbrown »

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #116 on: May 06, 2021, 09:02:13 pm »
If the overcapture size can be set to full memory it is OK indeed. For a significant number of the measurements I do there is no use for having segmented recording or history. What would end up in history relates to the previous version of the software and is totally irrelevant. There is just one single acquisition record I'm interested in and the longer it can be, the better with as much information on screen as possible and the freedom to use the zoom function at will (and not to force the acquisition length).

So this being the case, what would you do if, say, you had 5 minutes worth of capture memory at full sample rate?  Or an hour?

I'm curious if there's some sort of upper limit on the amount of time you want your capture to cover, for your typical use case.
There is not really a typical use case. The problems I need to solve vary wildly because I'm involved in many different areas of technology. Being able to capture at full samplerate for an hour is definitely in the area of diminishing returns (let's set the physical limitations of memory access speed / bandwidth aside for a moment) but every now and then I do have problems that are best solved using long captures that span significant parts of an hour. Not so long ago I used roll mode set to 20s / div (or even slower) to catch an elusive problem which only occured about every half hour and didn't want to show up using trigger conditions. Having more memory can do such acquisitions with more detail so the chance of needing to redo the measurement to get more detail using a specific trigger condition becomes lower (and thus saving half an hour of time).
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 09:06:37 pm by nctnico »
There are small lies, big lies and then there is what is on the screen of your oscilloscope.

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #117 on: May 06, 2021, 09:14:20 pm »
Segmented memory is useful for some percentage of the time but I'd say "overcapture" useful for more of the time.

OK, so a serious question, then: save for the extra setup (which as I note below is minimal), what's the issue with using zoom mode to accomplish this?  You could just set up the scope's default settings so that you're using all of capture memory and have the main timebase set to fill the whole thing up, and the setup itself would save all of that.  Seems that whether or not zoom mode is enabled isn't something that's saved as part of the settings, but there's a button to enable it and you're off to the races.  So you turn the scope on, enable zoom mode, and you're ready to go.   Now you get exactly what you're after, with little difference between that and the ideal you seem to be after.

One advantage that zoom mode gives you is that you can move the zoomed section anywhere within the capture directly.  You just drag it to where you want it.  You don't have to screw with the timebase and offset values to accomplish that.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 09:23:13 pm by kcbrown »

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #118 on: May 06, 2021, 09:18:26 pm »
There is not really a typical use case. The problems I need to solve vary wildly because I'm involved in many different areas of technology. Being able to capture at full samplerate for an hour is definitely in the area of diminishing returns (let's set the physical limitations of memory access speed / bandwidth aside for a moment)

If there's a lot of variation in the problems you have to solve then the nature of the capture will vary a lot, too.  I was under the impression that you essentially always needed to use the entirety of memory, so my question is really: how would you set things up by default if you had too much memory to otherwise use?

There's no such thing as too much memory, just like there's no such thing as too much horsepower.   :)   

But there is such a thing as more memory than you need for a specific task, and so my question relates to the typical tasks you use an oscilloscope for, and what your default configuration would be if you really did have more memory than you knew what to do with.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 09:24:32 pm by kcbrown »

Online 2N3055

• Super Contributor
« Reply #119 on: May 06, 2021, 09:59:52 pm »

OK, so a serious question, then: save for the extra setup (which as I note below is minimal), what's the issue with using zoom mode to accomplish this?  You could just set up the scope's default settings so that you're using all of capture memory and have the main timebase set to fill the whole thing up, and the setup itself would save all of that.  Seems that whether or not zoom mode is enabled isn't something that's saved as part of the settings, but there's a button to enable it and you're off to the races.  So you turn the scope on, enable zoom mode, and you're ready to go.   Now you get exactly what you're after, with little difference between that and the ideal you seem to be after.

One advantage that zoom mode gives you is that you can move the zoomed section anywhere within the capture directly.  You just drag it to where you want it.  You don't have to screw with the timebase and offset values to accomplish that.

And now you reached where I was a year ago. ^-^

There is no issue with zoom. Except he simply doesn't like to use it. And insists that what he does is simpler and easier. Which it is not, to the point that once I literally counted number of steps to accomplish things, his way and zoom way. Zoom was less operations, counted on fingers. But, no, he refused to admit the facts as they were. No, to him those were evil lies by Siglent agents and he refuses them as they stand.
Most of the time it feels like a discussion between atheist and a priest. Going nowhere.

So I gave up explaining to him the errors in his logic, and occasionally, when I have time and strength, simply try to point to everybody else the facts so it goes on the record. As a sort of balance in opinions.. And people can decide by themselves what is more logical, easier way...

The following users thanked this post: Performa01, Wuerstchenhund

Online nctnico

• Super Contributor
    • NCT Developments
« Reply #120 on: May 06, 2021, 10:23:09 pm »
There is not really a typical use case. The problems I need to solve vary wildly because I'm involved in many different areas of technology. Being able to capture at full samplerate for an hour is definitely in the area of diminishing returns (let's set the physical limitations of memory access speed / bandwidth aside for a moment)

If there's a lot of variation in the problems you have to solve then the nature of the capture will vary a lot, too.  I was under the impression that you essentially always needed to use the entirety of memory, so my question is really: how would you set things up by default if you had too much memory to otherwise use?

There's no such thing as too much memory, just like there's no such thing as too much horsepower.   :)   

But there is such a thing as more memory than you need for a specific task, and so my question relates to the typical tasks you use an oscilloscope for, and what your default configuration would be if you really did have more memory than you knew what to do with.
I typically set a scope to use the maximum memory length by default and only set the record length shorter if that is necessary to improve update rate / processing speed. Most of the measurements I do don't need high update rates (>10 updates/s) though.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 10:27:00 pm by nctnico »

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #121 on: May 06, 2021, 11:17:33 pm »
And now you reached where I was a year ago. ^-^

There is no issue with zoom. Except he simply doesn't like to use it.

Well, this isn't, or at least wasn't, strictly true.  It used to be that zoom mode had some serious limitations.  For instance, on the SDS1000X-E series, you can't use the mask test function in zoom mode, so you can't use it to test some specific portion of the waveform that is a consistent distance from the trigger point, and then have much more in the way of capture to examine when a fault is detected.  And on that same scope, zoom mode uses a significant portion of the screen for the unzoomed section, and the zoomed section as a result isn't using as much screen real estate as you'd want if that was where your primary focus was (which it generally will be when you're using zoom mode).

But the 2000X+ series fixes all of this.  If there's something you can't do with zoom mode on that scope, I don't know what it is.

It's really a shame it's taken Siglent this long to get to this point, though.  It suggests that Siglent didn't really understand the various ways that people will want to use the scope.

And Instek is guilty of the same thing.  Their segmented memory implementation is quite clearly an afterthought, and not a first-class characteristic of the scope.

So there just doesn't seem to be a perfect scope out there.  They all have seem to have flaws of one kind or another, at least until you get into the $10K+ range, at which point the instruments seem to become more special-purpose.

Guess that describes pretty much any kind of product offering you can think of, doesn't it?    :)

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #122 on: May 06, 2021, 11:27:48 pm »
Seems that whether or not zoom mode is enabled isn't something that's saved as part of the settings, but there's a button to enable it and you're off to the races. 
Zoom mode returns at boot if it was used prior to shutdown and can also be set as a User Default....or you can use rf-loops custom curtain option and stay blind to waveforms that are not on the display.  :)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2021, 11:30:00 pm by tautech »
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Offline kcbrown

• Frequent Contributor
« Reply #123 on: May 06, 2021, 11:45:54 pm »
Zoom mode returns at boot if it was used prior to shutdown and can also be set as a User Default....or you can use rf-loops custom curtain option and stay blind to waveforms that are not on the display.  :)

It's odd that you can set it as a user default, but it's omitted from the settings that you can save to the internal slots.  By "user default" I presume you mean what you get when you save the settings to the default button?

Offline tautech

• Super Contributor
  • Taupaki Technologies Ltd. Siglent Distributor NZ.
    • Taupaki Technologies Ltd.
« Reply #124 on: May 06, 2021, 11:52:31 pm »

It's odd that you can set it as a user default, but it's omitted from the settings that you can save to the internal slots. 
Internal slots ?  :-//

By "user default" I presume you mean what you get when you save the settings to the default button?
Yes.
Wisest method is to use Factory default first then set the scope exactly as you want then in the Save menu apply the settings to User Default. At anytime later you can change default behaviour or return to Factory default settings.
Avid Rabid Hobbyist
Siglent Youtube channel: https://www.youtube.com/@SiglentVideo/videos

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf